The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 06-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #151
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Default Re: Why is everyone slamming TDKR? - Part 1

This will sound incredibly offensive but I saw TDKR with a friend who disliked it even more than I did, especially the ending. Heck, if you thought I hated the ending, you should hear what he has to say. Even today, he tells me it "hurt his soul" (lol). When he saw John Blake entering the batcave, he leaned over and said "Where is that shooter when you need him?"

Even today, I still feel bad for giggling a bit at that comment he made.

Last edited by Shikamaru; 06-02-2013 at 03:41 PM.
Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #152
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Wow, he should be shot himself.

"Where is the shooter..."

It's a bit extra offensive to me when I used to live in Colorado. Boulder, but still

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #153
the5timechamp
Side-Kick

I still have a very real unease about being in a movie theater...always vigilant.
Its as much what happened at Aurora as it is all the national tragedies that keep happening..

As a parent the shooting of all those kids right before Christmas hangs over my head every time I send my kids to school.

the5timechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #154
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Yeah, it's hearing things like this that reinforce my feeling that people were/are on totally different planets when it comes to this movie. That's hating the movie something fierce to muster up such a tasteless joke.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #155
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Hate like that just makes me view the person as being an excuse of a human being.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #156
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I do apologize for sharing that. My friend has a very dark sense of humor that doesn't sit too well with most people. You kinda get used to it after you hang out with him for a while but it is perfectly understandable why his comment would disgust so many people.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #157
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I do apologize for sharing that.
It's ok. It's not like you're the one who said those things.

I mean we all heard things like this after that Aurora incident happened. I remember hearing of people who mocked Aurora shootings, saying things like "When you go to see The Avengers you have fun. When you go to see The Dark Knight Rises you get killed".

Disgraceful!

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #158
kvz5
HBIC

My memories of the TDKR opening day was bittersweet. I remember staying up way later than usual the night before because I was reading through the reactions of those who watched the midnight opening on Twitter (TDKR, Batman, Catwoman, etc. were all trending around that time). The reactions were very positive which made me happy because while I wasn't personally happy with some of what I already knew about the movie (based on the spoilers from those that saw it before the actual opening day), I still wanted the GA to love it. Anyway, when I woke up, the news was already all about the Colorado shooting. It was hard to enjoy anything after that news. I remember that it was the only thing people can talk about while waiting on line at the Navy Pier theater.

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:25 PM   #159
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post

I mean we all heard things like this after that Aurora incident happened. I remember hearing of people who mocked Aurora shootings, saying things like "When you go to see The Avengers you have fun. When you go to see The Dark Knight Rises you get killed".

Disgraceful!
That's disgusting.

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
BatmanBeyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #160
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

I remember the site-that-shall-not-be-named after the shootings. Some of the comments there were so disgusting and disturbing. I remember one guy saying that Batman fans are shooters and "don't anger the DC fans with The Avengers or they'll shoot you". This actually just got drudged up by this user the other day with a comment that said not to argue with DC fans because they'll do an Aurora shooting at an Iron Man 3 theater. Disgusting.

I avoided going to the theater for a few weeks afterwards just as a precaution. And even when I went to see it a second time a month later, I kept glancing to the exits. Gladly the IMAX theater exits just required a slight glance to the left or right so I didn't miss anything.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #161
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
I do apologize for sharing that. My friend has a very dark sense of humor that doesn't sit too well with most people. You kinda get used to it after you hang out with him for a while but it is perfectly understandable why his comment would disgust so many people.
No need to apologize for bringing it up. You're not the idiot who said it, lol.

That would be like if every fan of Nolan's trilogy should apologize for the "Nolanites" that threatened that reviewer on Rotten Tomatoes. No need to apologize

Old 06-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #162
batfreakforever
A real fan

In Australia we don't have a big problem with guns/shootings. We do have crime where people get killed or hurt by guns but not to the extent the America has. We all felt sorry for the familys and the people that got shot at the Theater. When it was time for us to see the film, none of us Aussies were worried that it would happen over here. When things like that happen in America we are not supprised when we hear about it.

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #163
Anno_Domini
Banned User

It's not guns if you ask me. It's all about mental health while the government tries to spend more time on banning guns than seeking advice on helping with mental issuess.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #164
batfreakforever
A real fan

Its your access to guns and how easy it is to get them. Look how many people own them and how many they have. You just don't need that many with that much firepower. We have mental issues like any other country but not the access to guns that your country has. We had a very big massacare years and years ago that made Australians change gun laws. He had mental issues too.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #165
Anno_Domini
Banned User

It's not even the access. It's kids having breakdowns and stealing firearms that belong to their parents/grandparents/uncles/etc.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #166
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Yea when I saw DKR opening night with a sold out crowd it was a uncomfortable feeling thoughout most of the movie. People were enjoying or trying to enjoy the movie, but everytime someone left the theater or went to get snacks mid movie, everyone stop and watched the doors.... And after all that I left the movie sad and underwhelmed because it didn't life up to my expectations and the shooting victims were stll on my mind.

ShadowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #167
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I remember when I saw TDKR, there was someone working there who entered the theater through the exit door near the screen. I was pretty close to the door in the first place so my first reaction was "Oh s***!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post

Disgraceful!
The one I heard over and over again was "I heard they're doing a Batman 4. They already started shooting."

Dane Cook made another one of those jokes when the film came out. He said the film was so crap that even if the guy never entered the theatre in the first place, someone 20 minutes in would've said "This sucks so much, someone ****ing shoot me!" The funny but sad thing is that he did get a lot of backlash for saying that, but try to guess the main reason as to why he got all that backlash.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #168
silentrascal
Side-Kick

TDKR is a better film than BB, but not quite as good as TDK (plotwise). The villain of TDK makes it a better film than TDKR, but TDKR had more impressive set pieces and action.

silentrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #169
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Dane Cook made another one of those jokes when the film came out. He said the film was so crap that even if the guy never entered the theatre in the first place, someone 20 minutes in would've said "This sucks so much, someone ****ing shoot me!" The funny but sad thing is that he did get a lot of backlash for saying that, but try to guess the main reason as to why he got all that backlash.
I remember that one. Honestly, he deserved every bit of backlash for that just because that joke is painfully unfunny on top of it being in bad taste (in more ways than one ).

If you're going to make a controversial dark joke, at least make sure it's actually funny. That was just lame.

It saddens me though. Have we become so desensitized to mass shootings in the US that our comedians actually feel comfortable joking about them shortly after they've occurred? That would NOT have happened after Columbine in 1999.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #170
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I remember that one. Honestly, he deserved every bit of backlash for that just because that joke is painfully unfunny on top of it being in bad taste (in more ways than one ).

If you're going to make a controversial dark joke, at least make sure it's actually funny. That was just lame.
He does deserve backlash but I wouldn't say he deserved the backlash he got in particular because the reason behind most of the backlash he got was not the reason you would expect. Try to guess where and why most of the backlash came from.

And yes, it was not funny by any means. There are many comedians that are capable of making dark jokes and having them come off as funny but those talented individuals are hard to find in the business. When people like Dane Cook try it, it just comes off as comedians trying to be edgy.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #171
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
He does deserve backlash but I wouldn't say he deserved the backlash he got in particular because the reason behind most of the backlash he got was not the reason you would expect. Try to guess where and why most of the backlash came from.

And yes, it was not funny by any means. There are many comedians that are capable of making dark jokes and having them come off as funny but those talented individuals are hard to find in the business. When people like Dane Cook try it, it just comes off as comedians trying to be edgy.
Yeah, I get what you're saying- rabid fanboys went after him for trashing the movie. I still don't care though. He threw negative energy out there and people returned the favor.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #172
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Yeah, I get what you're saying- rabid fanboys went after him for trashing the movie. I still don't care though. He threw negative energy out there and people returned the favor.
What saddens me is that people were more pissed at him trashing the movie than they were at the comment he made regarding the incident.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #173
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
What saddens me is that people were more pissed at him trashing the movie than they were at the comment he made regarding the incident.
I honestly didn't see any of the comments people fired back at him. I guess the whole thing is rather sad that people seem to be desensitized to stuff like that. Though Sandy Hook seemed like a big wakeup call. I don't know of any comedian making a joke about that.

On second thought- Dane Cook is probably just bitter that the third Batman film didn't star him as The Riddler.

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 06-04-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #174
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Hey guys, remember when Dane Cook was funny?

Me neither.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #175
batfreakforever
A real fan

I could see why fans of just Batman not Bruce Wayne are not happy about TDKR because of not much Batman screen time. I really care for the Bruce Wayne character/story so maybe that's why I wasn't fazed about the less cape and cowl time in TDKR. Plus I enjoyed the story that they wanted to tell.