Star Trek (2009) 46 37.70%
Star Trek Into Darkness 55 45.08%
Tie 21 17.21%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #26
kedrell
Band user

Default Re: Star Trek (2009) vs. Star Trek Into Darkness

I'd give it to ST'09. That movie may have been dumb but it was fun and didn't have any moment where it angered me. STID was following along the exact same lines until the WoK ripoff with a twist happened. It instantly just killed the movie for me and royally pissed me off.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #27
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

In my opinion, "Into Darkness" edges out "Star Trek 2009" by a little bit due to the portrayal of Benedict Cumberpatch. Truly a scary ass, crazed villain that was actually just as ruthless as Ricardo Montalban...

Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #28
DarKush
Side-Kick

Star Trek 09 was a pleasant surprise for me. I thought Into Darkness, despite the technical ambition, lost a lot of points for lack of creativity. And I hated the big reveal. It was totally unnecessary to tell the story they were telling and then the film fully devolved into an imitation of better films/shows.

Rankings:

1. The Undiscovered Country
2. The Wrath of Khan
3. First Contact
4. Star Trek
5. The Search for Spock
6. Generations
7. The Final Frontier
8. The Voyage Home
9. Insurrection
10. Into Darkness
11. Nemesis
12. The Motion Picture

DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #29
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

As a 25 year long Trekkie, here is my ranking of the films:

1.) Star Trek (2009)
2.) The Wrath Of Khan
3.) The Undiscovered Country
4.) Star Trek: Into Darkness
5.) First Contact
6.) The Search For Spock
7.) The Voyage Home
8.) Nemesis
9.) The Final Frontier
10.) The Motion Picture

Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:40 AM   #30
The Sage
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

I've got to take some time think about it. It may be a tie.

The Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #31
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Star Trek '09 for me, for the opening scene alone. The film has far more emotional moments that affect me as a Trek fan. The opening scene is brilliant, the first Enterprise reveal is all kinds of powerful, and the moment when Kirk finally takes the bridge as Captain is just...wow. Into Darkness is a lot of fun, and there are some incredibly thrilling sequences, but as a whole I think it's missing some of those extra emotional punches that would make it superior to the first.

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Compi716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #32
samsnee
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude of Steel View Post
Although the movie had several elements from Space Seed and Wrath of Khan, it also told an original story with Admiral Marcus and his desire to start a war with the Klingon's.
It actually reminded me of Undiscovered Country in that aspect.

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #33
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

Star Trek Into Darkness was most definitely better for me than 09 and right under WOK as one of the best Star Trek films of all time.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #34
Matchstick
Newbie First Class

Rankings:

1. The Wrath of Khan
2. Star Trek
3. The Voyage Home
4. The Undiscovered Country
5. The Search for Spock
6. First Contact
7. Into Darkness
8. Generations
9. Insurrection
10. The Motion Picture
11. The Final Frontier
12. Nemesis

Matchstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #35
Megalith
Banned User

How can anyone like Into Darkness better? Nothing happens in the film, and there's like two locations in the whole movie.

Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #36
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Wrath of Khan to me is far and away the best Trek film, and nothing has really changed that opinion for me.

I am giving the edge to ST09, because I think it was more original. I thought STID had a lot going for it, and I still think it's a great film, but there's too much that is taken from WoK.

No it's not shot the same shot for shot, but a lot of the dialog, is the exact same lines.

While I loved the film, the numbers don't lie and most people don't really care about this franchise, which is disappointing, especially when they seemed to have saved the fanchise from dying in 09. And make no mistake Paramount killed this franchise after Enterprise's run. UPN was an abject failure. (although I did like the first couple of seasons of Enterprise. But Voyager was a joke of a series, and was used only as a UPN launching agent.)

But one of the problems with STID is that rather than having the freedom to explore new ideas in this new timeline, it seems to want to rehash things for nostalgia sake. I don't mind as a trekkie, but after talking to some friends of mine who are not Trekkies, but liked the 09 film, that is why they did no like this film.

Now honestly, I like this movie, I'll own it on blu ray, and watch it for years. This did not kill the franchise, but I think they need to get some new writers and a new director, and start exploring new ideas. They need to cut down the fan service, and just start telling stories.

To me it's no different than after Star Trek 1, getting rid of Gene Roddenberry, and bringing in Harve Bennett.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #37
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

New director... JJ has made the most beautiful and watchable Trek imo. I think you'd see a huge drop off if he leaves.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #38
Sun_Down
Groovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
How can anyone like Into Darkness better? Nothing happens in the film, and there's like two locations in the whole movie.
I liked Into Darkness better. I enjoyed the villain more, I thought the character interactions were better, the visuals gave me a great sense of awe and scope, and I liked that it took less time to get the story going.

The 2009 movie had a slightly better plot IMO, which is usually what I go for. But I just thought that ID's strengths outweighed its uneven storytelling.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #39
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
Because they have opinions, which are occassionally different than yours.

It happens.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #40
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

I think I enjoyed '09 slightly more, but I greatly enjoyed both.

Cumberbatch was much better than Bana though.

Two wrongs just make something more wrong.

Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #41
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

I'd say it's a tie. They're both VERY good films for very different reasons. ST-09 was awesome because it felt fresh, the beginning scene, seeing the crew at odds with each other and learning to become a team, etc. THIS one was awesome because you see the crew more comfortable with each other/more chemistry, more at risk, MUCH better villain, and more twists than ST-09.

Both are VERY solid films. ST-09 remains one of my top 5 movies because it's a movie I an just pop in my PS3 and watch when I'm not in the mood for anything particular....and I'm sure ST, ID will be the same.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:13 PM   #42
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

It's a tie for me. The '09 film is more entertaining, but the action scenes and Cumberbatch's villain are better. The pros and cons of each film balance each other out.

They're both pretty good.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #43
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude of Steel View Post
Although the movie had several elements from Space Seed and Wrath of Khan, it also told an original story with Admiral Marcus and his desire to start a war with the Klingon's.
That wasn't that original. See Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, The Wounded, and DS9 Two-parter Homefront/Paradise Lost. Also, given the influence of 9/11 and The Invasion of Iraq, that sort of story felt very played out at this time in my opinion.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #44
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist

Arrrgh!!! I can't decide. I think '09 was more solid throughout the movie but 'Into Darkness' had better villains. I'm leaning towards a tie.

COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
ThreadPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #45
The_Lost
Side-Kick

2009 by far. Star Trek Into Darkness has an eternal place right between the final frontier and Star Trek Nemesis not only as a crap fest Star Trek Film but also as a Crap fest for any film. If I have any hope in the remainder of my life it will be Disney coming to it's senses and firing J.J. hack and hiring a real director for Star Wars.

The_Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #46
Destructus86
Side-Kick

I thought Into Darkness was far better than 1. And I loved the first one.

And for all of Trek it probably ranks #1 for me...with First Contact and the original Wrath of Khan right under it.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #47
VM1138
Side-Kick

I don't mind all the "ripoffs" of other Trek films. Because they were blended together in an interesting way. For a guy who was never a Trek fan, Abrams DOES show a great deal of reverence for the really important things, even if he lets some things fall by the wayside as far as original Trek goes.

I really loved Into Darkness for the story, acting, visuals, and character development. The growth of these characters very gradually into their classic roles is really fun to watch.

VM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #48
VM1138
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Wrath of Khan to me is far and away the best Trek film, and nothing has really changed that opinion for me.

I am giving the edge to ST09, because I think it was more original. I thought STID had a lot going for it, and I still think it's a great film, but there's too much that is taken from WoK.

No it's not shot the same shot for shot, but a lot of the dialog, is the exact same lines.

While I loved the film, the numbers don't lie and most people don't really care about this franchise, which is disappointing, especially when they seemed to have saved the fanchise from dying in 09. And make no mistake Paramount killed this franchise after Enterprise's run. UPN was an abject failure. (although I did like the first couple of seasons of Enterprise. But Voyager was a joke of a series, and was used only as a UPN launching agent.)

But one of the problems with STID is that rather than having the freedom to explore new ideas in this new timeline, it seems to want to rehash things for nostalgia sake. I don't mind as a trekkie, but after talking to some friends of mine who are not Trekkies, but liked the 09 film, that is why they did no like this film.

Now honestly, I like this movie, I'll own it on blu ray, and watch it for years. This did not kill the franchise, but I think they need to get some new writers and a new director, and start exploring new ideas. They need to cut down the fan service, and just start telling stories.

To me it's no different than after Star Trek 1, getting rid of Gene Roddenberry, and bringing in Harve Bennett.
I agree with you that they don't use the rebooted timeline to the fullest, but it also makes logical sense why they did what they did.

They are following a successful formula for trilogy development, and so wanted to use Khan. But they DID use him in a new and interesting way, and I feel like people aren't giving them enough credit for taking something used and making it fresh again.

I also feel like they set up a fairly original plot for Star Trek 3, too. Let's face it, we know that unlike in old Trek, they're actually going to show us a Klingon war, and I'm sure they'll find interesting and fresh ways to explore it by bringing back Cumberbatch to complicate things.

VM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #49
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
I agree with you that they don't use the rebooted timeline to the fullest, but it also makes logical sense why they did what they did.

They are following a successful formula for trilogy development, and so wanted to use Khan. But they DID use him in a new and interesting way, and I feel like people aren't giving them enough credit for taking something used and making it fresh again.

I also feel like they set up a fairly original plot for Star Trek 3, too. Let's face it, we know that unlike in old Trek, they're actually going to show us a Klingon war, and I'm sure they'll find interesting and fresh ways to explore it by bringing back Cumberbatch to complicate things.
Don't get me wrong, I liked what Cumberbatch brought to the table. I just want them to stop reminding people that they are in an alternate timeline, just to appease the hyper Trekkies that feel this timeline is an abomination. There was no reason to show Spock prime other than to appease the longtime trekkies.

Like I say if you look at the genious of the Wrath of Khan movie, it really didn't have any fan service. It told a story set in the universe, and if it contradicted anything else, they didn't care, or try to explain it away, or retcon anything. For example Checkov wasn't even a cast member during Space Seed. You just assume that Checkov was on the ship somewhere and khan ran into him at some point.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #50
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

A lot of the emotional scenes on STID seems kind of forced, and cheesy. ST09 had a better, more natural flow. That being said, Cumberbatch made this film amazing. He saved it.

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote