The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #976
THE MR. TERRIFIC
HYPES KING OF COSPLAY

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
Haha yeah I remember these too. I only had one problem with it... to have cut his hair, the intensity of his heat vision would have melted the glass.
HAHA! Right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud48V588NRw

Old 05-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #977
jthom19802
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It's kind of humorous if you think about it. I mean we as Superman fans are well aware of how he shaves so we don't think much of it, but it really is one of the most asked questions on the planet.

Alien? Okay. Superpowers? No prob. Flying? Why not.... all these questions to be pondered, and the go-to one for casual to non-fans is "wait, how does he shave?" lol

Old 05-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #978
Binker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Oh cool, is it any good? I've never read it.

Yes, it is. It is a Geoff Johns story, which gives it points already because of his name, but also there is another writer associated with it; Richard Donner, he and Johns co-wrote Last Son together. Basically, if you hate SR, you will love Last Son: the basic plot is that a kryptonian child lands on Earth, and Superman takes him away because of the Department of Metahuman Affairs’ sneaky actions, and Clark and Lois became his adoptive parents (chosen by Superman himself, publicity, with some addition help from Batman). But things go way bad when the son’s father comes to Earth: General Zod, and his companions, Ursa and Non, and the rest of the villains from the Phantom Zone; this story was how the classic three villains were brought into the DCU at the time. Superman gets sent into the Phantom Zone, but when he comes back, Earth is under Zod’s rule with kryptonian tech taking over Earth; Superman must team up with Lex Luthor and his Superman Revenge Squad, and later lead Earth’s heroes, to save the world.
Think of it as a good version of Superman Returns, with an alternative idea of (if not the main inspiration towards) what would become, at that time, the plot of Man of Steel. If you want to spoil yourself, check out the Wikipedia article. Its fine, I did write that article myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
this has got to be the stupidest anti superman article i have read yet

This….wasn’t just dumb, but based on facts that are really outdated and not quite true. I should’ve noticed that already when the writer first brought up the “powers being boring” idea, an idea that’s been brought up to death, and listed the same powers twice, and things that aren’t powers: solar battery (not a power, and feels like saying that he’s white and counting that as a power), invulnerability and instant healing are pretty much the same thing in most instances; but, superhuman intelligence, eidetic memory, and a master combatant; even if these things are the case (which I don’t recall that they are, at least anymore) that’s not a power, that’s a skill. I’ve had issues with Superman’s powers myself, but there’s a difference: I took issue with the extremely powerful and very hard to write for Superman from the Silver Age; that’s not the case anymore. Clearly, these ideas are outdated.
Anyway, I took issue with him being boring without his powers, or not being relatable, or having no internal conflict, no personality,
as the writer never has read or seen anything Superman-related (if he has, it must’ve been either Superman Returns, or even Superman III and IV which are bad examples). And yes, I would say read Man of Steel by John Byrne, Birthright by Mark Waid, For Tomorrow, Last Son, or Earth One by JMS (even It’s Superman! By Tim De Haven). Yes it a “read this” answer, but it’s enough to show this person that they’re wrong.
His stories being predictable aren’t true at that; I don’t know what the write was sayng, or wanting, because he was using Dark Knight as an example, with Batman not saving Rachel; okay, but like Superman, which you clearly say you hate that he wins at the end regardless, same as Batman in Dark Knight. Oh, and the hero not getting the girl in the end: “cough” Superman II “cough”. Jeez, even when he brings up Superman having no weaknesses, bringing up kryptonite doesn’t really hurt him; yes it does, and will kill him, but he does have red sun radiation, magic, and even he can be hurt if he was hit with a massive force equal to his own “cough” Superman II AND Man of Steel “cough”. Hell, let’s throw in overexposed solar radiation from All-Star Superman for the hell of it.
This write also really, clearly, doesn’t know what he is talking about: best example is saying Superman’s only trait is saving people, which must be something this person doesn’t like seeing, but also says Iron Man and Spider-Man don’t do that: umm, yeah they do. He even says there isn’t any stakes in his battles: if he loses, he dies, or him, Lois, and the world dies or gets destroyed. How is that not stakes?! Oh and no villains…”breathes in deep” …LEX LUTHOR, BRAINIAC, DOOMSDAY, ZOD AND OTHER PHANTOM ZONE VILLAINS, CYBORG SUPERMAN, METALLO, PARASITE, MONGUL, BIZARRO….oh yeah, DARKSEID! Plus, they can match to his strengths, even the human Lex Luthor.
I’m done, this writer doesn’t what he is talking about, and was able to post an article for people to see. Shame!
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Wasn’t this already explained?

Old 05-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #979
ArmsHeldOut
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
I'm gonna book mark this clip.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
It's a cool clip, but I don't know why he feels a need to undervalue Thor or any other characters.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #980
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
It's a cool clip, but I don't know why he feels a need to undervalue Thor or any other characters.
not sure he did.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #981
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Sounds like Robinov could be getting fired soon:

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/wi...ve-1200483194/

Tying this in with Superman, the article says he recently gave a presentation to WB employees where he claimed Man of Steel will be the biggest WB film ever. Good luck with that one Jeff. It has just about zero chance of matching TDK's $533m domestic or DH2's $1.34 billion worldwide.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #982
ThePhantasm
BADASS!

He was laughing about the fact that all these other heroes had movies coming out but Supes (the original superhero) didn't. He wasn't knocking other superheroes, just noting that something seemed wrong about that.

Wonder Gal | Cav-El | Batfleck | #TrustSnyder
Old 05-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #983
jthom19802
Side-Kick

Not that I'm proclaiming or predicting that MOS will make half a billion domestic, but if DK did it, why does this movie have "zero" chance?

Old 05-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #984
ThePhantasm
BADASS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
Tying this in with Superman, the article says he recently gave a presentation to WB employees where he claimed Man of Steel will be the biggest WB film ever. Good luck with that one Jeff. It has just about zero chance of matching TDK's $533m domestic or DH2's $1.34 billion worldwide.
Yeah, though I appreciate what the article says about Robinov taking a risk with a then largely unknown Nolan.

Wonder Gal | Cav-El | Batfleck | #TrustSnyder
Old 05-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #985
Pickleweasel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
Don't think he was dissing Thor. His direct quote was along the lines of 'Thor has a movie but superman doesn't?' Now obviously superman has movies, this will be the seventh. So he is not saying that Thor doesn't deserve to have a movie, more that if Thor can have a modern day movie where he is kicking ass then why can't superman?

Old 05-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #986
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthom19802 View Post
Not that I'm proclaiming or predicting that MOS will make half a billion domestic, but if DK did it, why does this movie have "zero" chance?
Because it's a reboot. Reboots pay the price for sins of the previous franchise. Batman Begins paid a very steep price for the sins of Batman & Robin. Amazing Spider-Man paid a pretty big price in the domestic market for the sins of Spider-Man 3. The reboot has to re-establish credibility with the general audience, then the sequels can take advantage and maximize profit.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #987
jthom19802
Side-Kick

Yeah I read that much differently than an insult to Thor. He could have said GL which is obviously still DC and I think it would have meant the exact same thing. I mean he was in the middle of explaining how EPIC AND AWESOME Superman is, and pointing out that lesser valued or lesser known characters all had flicks yet the big blue boy scout doesn't and it was something that should be remedied. I agree with him completely and see no stab at Thor.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:45 PM   #988
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binker View Post
Wasn’t this already explained?
This! Is what I've been waiting for someone to post and This! is how Superman shaves his beard.

But Now, the ultimate question... Who cuts his hair? When Pxy's not around?

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 05-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #989
ArmsHeldOut
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
He was laughing about the fact that all these other heroes had movies coming out but Supes (the original superhero) didn't. He wasn't knocking other superheroes, just noting that something seemed wrong about that.
Yeah, but it's the way he said it. "Really.. Thor?? Thor has a movie!" He's basically saying how can a weaksauce character like Thor have a movie when Superman doesn't. It's subtle, but it's there.

Supes has been adapted for the big and small screen several times already. How many times has Thor been adapted? I just don't get why he feels a need to make light of the character.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #990
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah I read that much differently than an insult to Thor. He could have said GL which is obviously still DC and I think it would have meant the exact same thing. I mean he was in the middle of explaining how EPIC AND AWESOME Superman is, and pointing out that lesser valued or lesser known characters all had flicks yet the big blue boy scout doesn't and it was something that should be remedied. I agree with him completely and see no stab at Thor.
I don't like that he pretends Donner's film is nonexistent. Still the most important superhero film ever made and clearly a blueprint for Man of Steel.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #991
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

My suggestions to non-fans of Superman -

Watch -

* Superman the Animated Series (first Three episode are must "Last Son of Krypton.")

* Season One of Smallville.

* Action scenes from Superman Returns. (Plane Rescue)

* Some action scenes from Superman III.

Read -

* Birthright.
* Secret origins.
* For Tomorrow.
* Earth One Vol. One.

*\S/T*
Old 05-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #992
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts

Though you have to admit he does have a point, smarmy as it may be. We say the same thing about Wonder Woman not having a movie yet, nor Flash, nor Aquaman. And a lot of the more second tier heroes are getting greenlit.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #993
jthom19802
Side-Kick

ASM made almost 300 mil domestically and 800 mil worldwide. BB didn't do quite as well by 400 mil almost a decade ago with no CBM genre going on other than Marvel stuff is nothing to sneeze at either.

I guess I can concede to your point about BB, but like I said, 800 mil (ASM) doesn't seem to be paying for the sins of anything in the past. I really don't think anyone was "paying" for Spider-Man 3. Most of the criticism came from people familiar with the character and being pissy about how Venom was rushed and mishandled. Plenty of people still saw and enjoyed it (to the tune of 900 mil worldwide)

Old 05-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #994
jthom19802
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Though you have to admit he does have a point, smarmy as it may be. We say the same thing about Wonder Woman not having a movie yet, nor Flash, nor Aquaman. And a lot of the more second tier heroes are getting greenlit.
Agreed. I'm not exactly sure of the timeline now in terms of when this movie and that movie was announced, but I believe it was similar and someone, ANYONE had to be sitting around thinking "Wait. Ant Man? Did they just announced Ant Man? WTF is Superman?"

Old 05-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #995
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

The fact remains that Thor is a B-list marvel superhero, and Supes is an A-list Superhero, which deserved a modern take compared to Thor.

It is similar to how WB made a Catwoman movie instead of making a Wonder Woman movie.

*\S/T*
Old 05-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #996
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
ASM made almost 300 mil domestically and 800 mil worldwide. BB didn't do quite as well by 400 mil almost a decade ago with no CBM genre going on other than Marvel stuff is nothing to sneeze at either.

I guess I can concede to your point about BB, but like I said, 800 mil (ASM) doesn't seem to be paying for the sins of anything in the past. I really don't think anyone was "paying" for Spider-Man 3. Most of the criticism came from people familiar with the character and being pissy about how Venom was rushed and mishandled. Plenty of people still saw and enjoyed it (to the tune of 900 mil worldwide)
Amazing Spider-Man definitely paid a price in the domestic market. Spider-Man 3 made $337m in 2007 without 3D. Adjusted for 2012 ticket prices and 3D, it sold enough tickets to make $425m in 2012. Amazing Spider-Man made $262m, a nearly 40% drop in ticket sales. It paid a price for SM3's poor word of mouth, no question about it.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #997
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
Sounds like Robinov could be getting fired soon:

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/wi...ve-1200483194/

Maybe, he was saying that MOS will be this year's biggest movie for WB (excluding Hobbit part 2.)

*\S/T*
Old 05-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #998
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:

ASM was easily the lowest grossing film. It was the one with 3D and big lead in terms of inflation.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #999
jthom19802
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Which always bugs me. It's like people are to chicken-s*** to give it a shot. And every time someone makes a crap show that doesn't even hit the air before being yanked, it sets her back years (or say, making a crap Catwoman movie that flopped).

90% of the population that is aware of comic book movies and superheroes really still has NO idea that in the DCU, magic not withstanding, WW is about one of the only people in existence than can beat the snot out of Supes if it comes down to it (in terms of matching strength, speed, etc).

If someone just took a little time to tell a great story about the Amazon Princess in the right way, she could immediately put female superheroes back on the map in the likes we haven't seen since Jean...

Old 05-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #1000
ArmsHeldOut
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
The fact remains that Thor is a B-list marvel superhero, and Supes is an A-list Superhero, which deserved a modern take compared to Thor.

It is similar to how WB made a Catwoman movie instead of making a Wonder Woman movie.
I disagree. Both A-Listers and B-Listers deserve the right to be adapted for the big screen. Just because one is less popular in the eyes of some shouldn't make it any less valued I think. Moreover, there isn't even a need to have that kind of argument because Hollywood has plenty of room and money to spend on multiple comic-to-film adaptations.

Closed Thread