The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #126
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
^ But TDK is MOSTLY a crime drama. The emphasis is on criminal activity, not superpowers.

I guess it counts, but MOS looks to be a purer representation of the genre.
Sorry to add to the OT discussion () but I think that's one of the great things about Bats. The whole "crime drama" thing a huge aspect of his history. So if we call him a superhero, in spite of that, I think it still qualifies.
(on topic) I hope MoS comes close to being my favorite CBM.

COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
Old 05-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #127
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

TDK felt like too much of a crime drama, not enough fun in it. That was another reason why it wasn't at the top for me.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #128
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by fake View Post
Anyone know how the Walmart screening gross will be calculated? This doesn't seem to be tied to Rentrak, maybe WB will report it separately.

Quick back of envelope calculations, taking 8$-9$ for non-3D and 11$-12$ for 3D means a potential 10 million gross just from the 7pm show. Even if only 50-75% of tickets are sold for the 7pm show through Walmart, that means a 5 million to 7.5 million gross from just the Walmart special shows. Of course, the extra merchandise sold will benefit Walmart and the MoS merchandise partners.

If the sales are good (like i said, 50-75% tickets sold of all available tickets), this may turn out to be a really successful promotion.
When I went to purchase my ticket this morning a friend, who is a regional manager at walmart, happened to be there..she is a superman fan also and said to me that several meetings had taken place with all the different stores selling the tickets, and according to her, the goal/hope was for wal-mart to sell a million MoS tickets.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #129
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreadPool View Post
Sorry to add to the OT discussion () but I think that's one of the great things about Bats. The whole "crime drama" thing a huge aspect of his history. So if we call him a superhero, in spite of that, I think it still qualifies.
(on topic) I hope MoS comes close to being my favorite CBM.

Batman can feel like a crime drama, but it has to have the fun in it for me. For example, the animated movie Under the Red Hood felt like a crime drama, but it also had the larger-than-life comic aspects of Batman's world that made it very fun to watch at the same time.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #130
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
TDK would have been the best cbm for me if the action had been stronger, along with Batman dropping that voice(but the voice is a nitpick lol). SM2 was also the best for me, until a few rewatches of The Avengers changed my mind.

But SM2 has been the last cbm I've seen to completely love on a first watch. I really hope MOS can do that. I just want to feel like I did when I first saw SM2 all those years ago.
Bale overdid his Batman voice yes. But it didn't take me out of the film. And i agree, TDK (trilogy) really did lack amazingly impressive action sequences. Though Bane vs Batman in the sewers is just a fantastic fight scene.
Avengers...I really liked the film. It was very enjoyable but it's not the best cbm for me.
SM2 was and is such a great film. Dr Octopus

Old 05-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #131
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
TDK felt like too much of a crime drama, not enough fun in it. That was another reason why it wasn't at the top for me.
Yeah, I hope MOS is really fun.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #132
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

If MOS is a hit and more importantly a good film I would love to see another villian from the comics not named Zod or Lex appear in a film.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #133
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
Bale overdid his Batman voice yes. But it didn't take me out of the film. And i agree, TDK (trilogy) really did lack impressive action sequences. Though Bane vs Batman in the sewers is just a fantastic fight scene.
Avengers...I really liked the film. It was very enjoyable but it's not the best cbm for me.
That train scene is still amazing.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #134
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ I guess it all goes down to what each of us thinks a superhero film SHOULD be. I think TDK surpassed the expectations for most, including myself. I'm scared for Man of Steel, because my expectations have never been higher (even for TDK, I felt like the titular character would be upstaged by its villain). How could the film possibly meet them?

Old 05-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #135
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
If MOS is a hit and more importantly a good film I would love to see another villian from the comics not named Zod or Lex appear in a film.
I have a feeling that Braniac and Lex will be the villains in the sequel.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #136
GreenKToo
In the fire

The proof to me that it's a hit will be if I instantly want to see it again...very few films have caused me to want to get right back in line for a second viewing.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #137
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist

Quote:
Batman can feel like a crime drama, but it has to have the fun in it for me. For example, the animated movie Under the Red Hood felt like a crime drama, but it also had the larger-than-life comic aspects of Batman's world that made it very fun to watch at the same time.
I can do without it for the most part, but that's just me.
You're right about Under the Red Hood though. Great balance in those aspects.

Anyone seen Superman: Unbound? I've heard good things.

COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
Old 05-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #138
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
The proof to me that it's a hit will be if I instantly want to see it again...very few films have caused me to want to get right back in line for a second viewing.
Lol wow. I don't think I've ever done that ever. Even with movies I'm in love with. Maybe because no one I'd be with would be down.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #139
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
+1
I saw TDK and TDKR twice because of that reason.
I rarely see films more than once in theaters.
MOS might just break my record for the amount of times i have seen a film in theaters.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #140
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
^ I guess it all goes down to what each of us thinks a superhero film SHOULD be. I think TDK surpassed the expectations for most, including myself. I'm scared for Man of Steel, because my expectations have never been higher (even for TDK, I felt like the titular character would be upstaged by its villain). How could the film possibly meet them?
I want a combo of TDK, spidey II, avengers, and watchmen.
the seriousness of TdK, the fun of spidey II, the action of avengers, and the grittiness of watchmen.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #141
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Bale overdid his Batman voice yes. But it didn't take me out of the film. And i agree, TDK (trilogy) really did lack impressive action sequences. Though Bane vs Batman in the sewers is just a fantastic fight scene.

Bane vs Batman in the sewers was fantastic. One of the best cbm fight scenes ever. And I hope Zod is as great or greater than Doc Ock when it comes to villainy. They got us to care about Ock, but they also made him to some downright villainous stuff, while also giving him amazing action sequences. Even out of action, just watching him talk and work with his arms was great to watch.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #142
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:

Yeah it's pretty good, Matt Bomer is amazing as Superman as is John Noble as Brainiac. It's not really a thinker it's more all out action, and the animation is solid. Definitely recommended.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 05-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #143
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
I want a combo of TDK, spidey II, avengers, and watchmen.
the seriousness of TdK, the fun of spdey II, the action of avengers, and the grittiness of watchmen.
What about comic relief?

Old 05-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #144
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:

Superman: Unbound was great. Personally, I like to imagine that movie being in the same universe as Under the Red Hood. You should definitely give it a watch.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #145
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

In a perfect world, Lex would be the sequel's villain along with a secondary villain ( Metallo)
Brainiac for the 3rd film.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #146
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickoray View Post
Lol wow. I don't think I've ever done that ever. Even with movies I'm in love with. Maybe because no one I'd be with would be down.
If its a film or genre that i'm really in love with, I usually see it by myself the first time, unless I have a hardcore friend with me thats a fan.
I have only did it a few times. once for independence day, spidey II, LOtR, and TDK. ( although with TDK I had to wait till the next nite to see it agaIn )

Old 05-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #147
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
In a perfect world, Lex would be the sequel's villain along with a secondary villain ( Metallo)
Brainiac for the 3rd film.

I would be okay with that. Although, in addition to Lex, I'd pair Metallo up with Parasite. One to weaken Supes, and the other to steal his power.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #148
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
Yeah it's pretty good, Matt Bomer is amazing as Superman as is John Noble as Brainiac. It's not really a thinker it's more all out action, and the animation is solid. Definitely recommended.
Quote:
Superman: Unbound was great. Personally, I like to imagine that movie being in the same universe as Under the Red Hood. You should definitely give it a watch.
Cool. I'll try to get to it soon. It'll be difficult with Arrested Development coming back. Not to mention the 4 or 5 other series I need to catch up on.

Bomar's voice did sound really good from the previews. Still love Daly and Newbern. Newbern a little more since Daly was too busy to come back for JL/JLU.

COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
Old 05-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #149
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Crime drama or not TDK works in spades as a film. I think it was a Superhero film and a crime film. Which is fine for Batman.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #150
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
What about comic relief?
some lite hearted moments would be fine, but I DO NOT want a modern day version of otis or anything.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 05-19-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Closed Thread