The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #151
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Crime drama or not TDK works in spades as a film. I think it was a Superhero film and a crime film. Which is fine for Batman.
Well said.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #152
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote:
Crime drama or not TDK works in spades as a film. I think it was a Superhero film and a crime film. Which is fine for Batman.
I think I'm in love!
Or it's your avatar staring into my soul...

COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
Old 05-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #153
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreadPool View Post
I think I'm in love!
Or it's your avatar staring into my soul...
I'm changing it to a Superman one Hunter made me very soon.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #154
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
It is a superhero film and a crime film. It just felt like more of a crime film than a superhero film for me. And not enough larger-than-life aspects for me, either.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #155
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
If its a film or genre that i'm really in love with, I usually see it by myself the first time, unless I have a hardcore friend with me thats a fan.
I have only did it a few times. once for independence day, spidey II, LOtR, and TDK. ( although with TDK I had to wait till the next nite to see it agaIn )
That's cool. I might have to do that for Amazing Spider-Man 2 if it's that good. I'm definitely down for the idea. Would probably just have to do what you do and go by myself. (Which can be a bit lonely haha..)

Old 05-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #156
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
It is a superhero film and a crime film. It just felt like more of a crime film than a superhero film for me. And not enough larger-than-life aspects for me, either.
I'm not saying it's perfect to me but I do think it is one of the greats in the genre. And this is coming from a gal who thinks the other two Nolan Bat-films were only decent.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #157
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

El Duderino posted this pic, from the Behind the Scenes featurette:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

This looks like:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
the pods that are shown when Jor-El dives into the water at beginning of the movie to retrieve the codex. Where they supposedly grow embryos. In the prequel comics, they bring the "Growth Codex" on space expeditions, so they can bring embryos to other planets, and "grow" Kryptonians to help terraform.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #158
JangoNate
Side-Kick

Before I had a kid it was odd for me to not see a film I liked three times in the theater. With a kid, seeing something twice says something about how I like the film.

Top 3 superhero films for me: Avengers, TDK, SM2. The way I describe TDK is that it's an amazing film about a comic book character rather than the best comic book film. Avengers, to me, was just pure comic book with out there villains, excuses for characters like Hulk and Thor to fight, and lots of nods to comic book mythology. Spider-Man 2 had some of that, too, but seeing a team up of all these heroes is hard to top for me.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #159
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
The emphasis is on criminal activity, not superpowers.
Just what? batman doesn't have Superpowers, neither does Joker, or Harvey Dent. What superpowers are you expecting? And why are superpowers and criminal activity mutually exclusive? Was Doc Ock robbing a bank any less 'criminal' because he had superpowers?

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 05-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #160
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
I'm not saying it's perfect to me but I do think it is one of the greats in the genre. And this is coming from a gal who thinks the other two Nolan Bat-films were only decent.

Yeah it is definitely one of the greats. I also agree with you on the other two Bat-films.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #161
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
TDK felt like too much of a crime drama, not enough fun in it. That was another reason why it wasn't at the top for me.
IMO, the reason TDK works so well is because it uses its comic-book roots/inspirations to tell a story that transcends the genre. There are quite a few Joker/Batman moments that seem like they were plucked straight from the comic-books/graphic novels or the animated series.

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
Old 05-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #162
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Just what? batman doesn't have Superpowers, neither does Joker, or Harvey Dent. What superpowers are you expecting? And why are superpowers and criminal activity mutually exclusive? Was Doc Ock robbing a bank any less 'criminal' because he had superpowers?

Good point. But the bottom line is that the TDK trilogy never really opened up the fantasy aspect of comics. I never said that TDK was a bad film. In fact, I think it's an amazing accomplishment, and if any superhero film tops it, it would take a massive amount of effort to do so.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #163
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanBeyond View Post
IMO, the reason TDK works so well is because it uses its comic-book roots/inspirations to tell a story that transcends the genre. There are quite a few Joker/Batman moments that seem like they were plucked straight from the comic-books/graphic novels or the animated series.

Very true, but I don't want to see these superhero movies transcending the genre. I want them to be the genre.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #164
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

I feel like TDK trilogy was made for the general public rather the fans. Because before i went on forums, everyone i know loved the films. It got critical acclaim from movie critics. But when i went on the boards, the attitude towards the trilogy was very different. You have fans who love the trilogy, fans who like the trilogy, and those who feel it's just decent.
Quite interesting how the die hard fan's opinion towards the 3 films are.

WOW. we are so off-topic. Batman is so bad-ass he keeps getting brought up

Old 05-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #165
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

BACK TO SUPERMAN.
Henry Cavill is going to be so bad ass as Kal. I can feel it.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #166
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
IMO, the reason TDK works so well is because it uses its comic-book roots/inspirations to tell a story that transcends the genre.
oh god. TDK doesn't transcend anything. It takes from a specific set of comics and utilizes a very grounded aesthetic approach. That is all. Every idea in TDK can be found in the comic.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #167
Kane52630
Nightcall User

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 05-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #168
JangoNate
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanBeyond View Post
Very true, and all of that is possible because of Heath Ledger. It's no secret that his Joker performance catapults this film to greatness. Man, I still remember getting chills whenever he showed up in the films. These great stories begin with great villains that push the heroes to their limits. It's probably why I liked STID so much. 'That guy' completely dominated the scenes he was in.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #169
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Very true, but I don't want to see these superhero movies transcending the genre. I want them to be the genre.
TDK doesn't transcend comics. That was a popular punchline used by movie critics who've never read a comic book in their life. Then it was picked up by fanboys who've never read any Batman comic books in their life. But people who've actually read comics know better.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #170
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
BACK TO SUPERMAN.

I wonder if he's going to be more badass than Batman.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #171
JangoNate
Side-Kick

Quote:
BACK TO SUPERMAN.
YES! And Michael Shannon's going to prove that the chills you get when he shouts "I will find him!" are just the beginning.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #172
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

I think by transcending the genre, they mean superhero movies. Because I don't think TDK transcends this.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #173
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
TDK doesn't transcend comics. That was a popular punchline used by movie critics who've never read a comic book in their life. Then it was picked up by fanboys who've never read any Batman comic books in their life. But people who've actually read comics know better.

Not comic books. Comic book movies(as in straight-up super hero movies). Before TDK, no one had really seen a superhero movie like it, especially the type of drama and villain it had. Just what I think.

Last edited by ThePowerCosmic; 05-18-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:34 PM   #174
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I really hate all this talk about TDK transcending the genre, TDK being the genre, TDK not being like a comic book movie, TDK being exactly like a comic book movie, etc.

I have to ask....what the hell are you all talking about? What "genre"? Comic books and comic book movies are a medium. There is no such thing as TDK being an invalid CBM or a false representation of the genre because it's not "fun" or because it doesn't have fantasy elements or any of that. At the same time, there is no such thing as TDK "transcending the genre" or TDK being so great because "it tries to not be a comic book movie". TDK is simply a type of comic book movie just like The Avengers is another type of comic book movie.

This entire discussion here simplifies comics and superheroes to a genre as opposed to its the fact that they're a medium. Simplifying comics and comic book movies to that is just as dumb as simplifying all movies or TV shows to something specific.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #175
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
BACK TO SUPERMAN.
And Amy is going to be a great Lois.

*T.H.E.M*
Closed Thread