The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Rebels

Old 02-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #351
ares834
Side-Kick

Default Re: Star Wars: Rebels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
A pink Mandalorian who like to paint graffiti... Eh? Color me concerned.

ares834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #352
OnTheAir
Papa Spank

From RebelForce Radio's facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/RebelForceRadio

Old 02-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #353
Doc Ock
There and Spidey Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ares834 View Post
Indeed.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:55 PM   #354
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ares834 View Post
Actually, I really like her design. It really takes advantage of the CGI medium with its paint stains, hair tints and scuff marks on the armour. You wouldn't be able to have that level of details and colours in traditional animation. Its just her characterisation that I have concerns about.

Last edited by mr. peasant; 02-19-2014 at 07:08 PM.
mr. peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #355
FCEEVIPER
Hunter Of Sentients

I'm a bit concerned as well. :\

Thank you Nolan, Goyer & Jonathan
The Dark Knight Saga
2005 - 2008 - 2012
FCEEVIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:44 PM   #356
Raven X
Sting!!!

I think she looks cool and I'm interested in her character.

Disney Lover!!
Raven X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #357
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Color all of you easily concerned.

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #358
Loki882
Side-Kick

Yeah indeed. Oh my, she has a little bit of pink on her armor (it's not completely pink), she's got a bit of an artistic side to her, and she's not overly brooding or "dark." I fail to see what there is to be concerned about?

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #359
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Yeah indeed. Oh my, she has a little bit of pink on her armor (it's not completely pink), she's got a bit of an artistic side to her, and she's not overly brooding or "dark." I fail to see what there is to be concerned about?
There's nothing wrong about having a fun character (and her physical design is great!). However, the combination of traits ought to still make sense and feel like one character rather than a random constellation of attributes. Some combinations go together more readily than others.

In this respect, why would a painter know a thing or two about guns and bombs or conversely an explosive expert like to express herself through art? Now, had the creators for instance explicitly stated that she hails from a family of bounty hunters or was trained as one, then it'd make more sense and come together better. But based on the information provided thus far, I can't find a rationale for her specific combination of traits.

Another cause to take issue is her lack of a flaw, unlike the other characters. Everything about her feels like it's meant to go "look how awesome she is" without providing her with any obvious area for growth and development.

Last edited by mr. peasant; 02-19-2014 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #360
Raven X
Sting!!!

flaw??

ummmm.......we only got a 2 min snippet trailer of her, revealing barely anything about her character.

I think it's waaaaaayyyyyy too early to judge.

maybe after a few actual episodes, but certainly not now.

I'm sure she will have flaws.

Disney Lover!!
Old 02-19-2014, 09:22 PM   #361
Sithborg
Side-Kick

I am really liking all the designs we've seen so far. Sabine's armor is definitely more interesting than the standard color schemes Mandos tend to have. Looking at the helmet, I wonder if there is any connection, or possible re-appearance, of Bo-Katan, voiced by Katee Sackhoff.

Sithborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:59 PM   #362
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

I think her design is definitely different. But I will give Dave and his crew credit, they make great characters. So I'm not worried about her characterization.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #363
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
There's nothing wrong about having a fun character (and her physical design is great!). However, the combination of traits ought to still make sense and feel like one character rather than a random constellation of attributes. Some combinations go together more readily than others.

In this respect, why would a painter know a thing or two about guns and bombs or conversely an explosive expert like to express herself through art? Now, had the creators for instance explicitly stated that she hails from a family of bounty hunters or was trained as one, then it'd make more sense and come together better. But based on the information provided thus far, I can't find a rationale for her specific combination of traits.

Another cause to take issue is her lack of a flaw, unlike the other characters. Everything about her feels like it's meant to go "look how awesome she is" without providing her with any obvious area for growth and development.
And what actual evidence do you have to indicate that this won't be natural or makes sense? None, I didn't think so. As for her being into explosives and graffiti, some people have multiple hobbies and some of these are quite different from each other. I myself am one such person. Also, the Mandalorians are very diverse and have a wide variety of habits/members/etc, so this is no different.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:19 PM   #364
Raven X
Sting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
And what actual evidence do you have to indicate that this won't be natural or makes sense? None, I didn't think so. As for her being into explosives and graffiti, some people have multiple hobbies and some of these are quite different from each other. I myself am one such person. Also, the Mandalorians are very diverse and have a wide variety of habits/members/etc, so this is no different.
yep!

Look at Da Vinci. He had many talents. He was an artist, yet he also designed weapons and war machines.

I'm not all that familiar with SW culture, but aren't the Mandalorians primarily a "warrior culture?"

Maybe Sabine turned to art and graffiti as an outlet outside of all the fighting and warrior training and as a means to express herself.

Disney Lover!!
Old 02-19-2014, 11:23 PM   #365
GamerSlyRatchet
Side-Kick

When developing a character, you usually start with a basic archetype and then develop it from there. That's basically what these videos and pictures are doing: giving you the basic concept and some details. A small taste. It is the actual show's responsibility to actually flesh out those characters and execute their concepts.

This is just like when Young Justice (another Weisman show) was first announced and people were dismissing Miss Martian as the "cheery" one, like Starfire, and Artemis as the "broody" one, like Raven, only to have be proven completely wrong.

I can say the biggest difference between this show [YOUNG JUSTICE] and "ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN" is showcased in one detail; this show expects their audience to know who H.G. Welles is, while "USM" assumes kids have never done anything but play video games in their room or watch MTV.
GamerSlyRatchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:43 PM   #366
OnTheAir
Papa Spank

I will say this: I'm quite pleased with the inclusion of two images in particular from this sample of Sabine's graffiti. Two of my favorite characters from The Clone Wars!

Old 02-19-2014, 11:58 PM   #367
Raven X
Sting!!!

holy crap!!

I missed that!!

Disney Lover!!
Old 02-20-2014, 01:17 AM   #368
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
She's a Mandalorian rocker chick! I may already be in love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheAir View Post
I will say this: I'm quite pleased with the inclusion of two images in particular from this sample of Sabine's graffiti. Two of my favorite characters from The Clone Wars!

Haha! Good eye my man.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:52 AM   #369
OnTheAir
Papa Spank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
Haha! Good eye my man.
I wish I could take credit, but yesterday morning I saw a post on another website about a couple of characters being spotted in her graffiti, and then yesterday evening, I saw the specific picture on twitter. (That IS my crude circle, though...lol)

I hope that's not simply a nod by Filoni to former Clone Wars fans. I hope that, at some point, both of these characters will appear on Rebels. I'd also like to see Asajj Ventress and Ahsoka down the road.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:16 AM   #370
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
When developing a character, you usually start with a basic archetype and then develop it from there. That's basically what these videos and pictures are doing: giving you the basic concept and some details. A small taste. It is the actual show's responsibility to actually flesh out those characters and execute their concepts.
That's precisely my issue. Sabine's concept feels all over the place, with little to bring it all together or context to frame them with, compared to the other characters revealed so far.

For instance, Kanan is a Jedi who has gone into hiding after losing his way of life. This premise provides context for the rest of his characteristics; i.e. his gruffness, his desire to train Ezra, etc. Likewise, Ezra is a street rat who's always been by himself; hence his loner mentality, reluctance to help others, etc.

By comparison, Sabine's teaser trailer was all about how she's X, Y and Z in isolation of one another without at any point trying to tie them together cohesively or linking one attribute to another. Hence my concern that the creators conceived the character by going "she needs to be X, Y and Z" rather than develop her organically. Basically, my criticism is that the character is either problematic concept-wise or the concept was very poorly delivered in her teaser trailer.

With the others, I can see how the writers probably went about creating the character. With Sabine, I can't. At least, not yet.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:52 AM   #371
Bim
Side-Kick

I like what i've seen so far. Looking forward for the show to start to see how it all comes together in terms of characterization and stories.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #372
Lobo
Time for Roman's Reign

Sabine's art

Old 02-20-2014, 11:46 AM   #373
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
That's precisely my issue. Sabine's concept feels all over the place, with little to bring it all together or context to frame them with, compared to the other characters revealed so far.

For instance, Kanan is a Jedi who has gone into hiding after losing his way of life. This premise provides context for the rest of his characteristics; i.e. his gruffness, his desire to train Ezra, etc. Likewise, Ezra is a street rat who's always been by himself; hence his loner mentality, reluctance to help others, etc.

By comparison, Sabine's teaser trailer was all about how she's X, Y and Z in isolation of one another without at any point trying to tie them together cohesively or linking one attribute to another. Hence my concern that the creators conceived the character by going "she needs to be X, Y and Z" rather than develop her organically. Basically, my criticism is that the character is either problematic concept-wise or the concept was very poorly delivered in her teaser trailer.

With the others, I can see how the writers probably went about creating the character. With Sabine, I can't. At least, not yet.
Sorry, but I REALLY don't understand what you're trying to say here? Seriously, what are you talking about? She's got some diverse interests, it happens. There's nothing "forced" about it, period.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:47 AM   #374
James
Built from Lego

Based on what little we know, I like all the characters so far. Very excited!

Especially the inclusion of Cad Bane on the wall there. I mean, okay it's concept art, but still -a good sign the character should show up in Rebels!

James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #375
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven X View Post
yep!

Look at Da Vinci. He had many talents. He was an artist, yet he also designed weapons and war machines.

I'm not all that familiar with SW culture, but aren't the Mandalorians primarily a "warrior culture?"

Maybe Sabine turned to art and graffiti as an outlet outside of all the fighting and warrior training and as a means to express herself.
Mandalorians do have a strong warrior tradition. However, they're also known for being quite diverse to. Personality-wise, tactically, their hobbies, and so on. They vary quite a bit.