The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 09-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #576
chaseter
Bland User

Default Re: The President Obama Thread - Part 5

He is in his second term...that's when you are supposed to be bold and let history be the judge. He has nothing to lose but face.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:17 AM   #577
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie The Red View Post
It's not Syrian oil they're after.

http://shariaunveiled.wordpress.com/...s-war-for-oil/

Anyone who actually believes this is about saving the helpless Syrians at this point is not paying attention. As of right now, 9 percent of Americans are saying they want nothing to do with attacking Syria, but our President is now advising congress to trump the people and "vote their conscience." He was quoted today about Syria: "I think it's the right thing to do."

Rubbish. By that logic, he would've asked congress to bomb North Korea and their concentration camps 100 times over by now.

The fact that our president and his administration have the nerve to continue trying to shoehorn the passage of this thing through congress — when all polls clearly indicate that the people are against it — is indicative of something seriously wrong.

Lastly, Obama and his administration need to be reminded that they are servants of the people and back away from the whole thing before they're remembered as warmongers. It doesn't matter if *he* thinks it's the right thing to do, but what Americans think.

Whatever way this diplomatic crisis unfolds, it's going to be (better or worse) a game changer for the American people.
Did you mean 90%?

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:28 AM   #578
Charlie The Red
Turkish Gold 100s

Whoops.

Aye. Edited it.

Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit
Charlie The Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:43 AM   #579
Frodo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
I love the hypocrisy on both sides of the aisle at this moment in history. Republicans are attacking Obama for his stance on going to war with Syria for the exact same circumstances that lead to Iraq (the basis, not all the hidden agendas that we will never know) that Republicans supported under Bush and the Democrats who bashed Bush to no end and talk about hating war are now war mongerers themselves. Obama bombed Libya and has killed more civilians with drone strikes than Bush ever did. It's hilarious. I hate politicians.
To be fair, I'm hearing both sides of the isle on either side of this Syria issue. The divide isn't all partisan. There are Republicans and Dems who oppose any action and there are Republicans and Dems who are in support of the action, and not all of them where either for or against the Iraq war. I agree there is some hypocrisy , but its not as partisan as I thought it would be. I'm leaning against military action at this point because I'm hearing and seeing alot of the same stuff I heard and saw a decade ago and I thought Iraq was crazy, reckless, and foolish idea even then .

This time Obama seems unsure about a rational and he's stumbling and mumbling when people wanna know the objective and aftermath. With Bush we just got a bunch of bs and wishful thinking , but Obama doesn't even seem convinced himself. You add that to the shaky and violent opposition, the unintended consequences, and neo cons like McCain trying to insert wording into the resolution that could easily cause the US to have a deeper role than just punishing air strikes, and as of now an unclear UN conclusions as to which side even used these weapons , gives me the Iraq shivers all over again.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #580
CGHulk
Green Guy

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
CGHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #581
Victarion
Cut

Obama is ending the war that started between the Syrian government and the rebels.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #582
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster

Another column from a writer in Toronto:

My daughter once worked in Starbucks in a wealthy area of Toronto. The experience led her to use the phrase “first world problems.” Overdressed customers complaining there was too much foam on their foamed coffee or the milk was 10% too warm.

Which comes to mind when I read about Canadian Senate reform and cannabis legalization, as Syrians wonder if it will be American missiles or Islamic fundamentalist maniacs who will kill them and their families.

The painful dichotomy was brought into sharp focus as warmonger and buffoon senator, John McCain, was discovered playing online poker during a debate on military intervention in Syria.

It was less his attention wandering during a long discussion that caused offence than that he chose deliberately to play games. He could have dealt with important e-mails or read vital documents concerning the Middle East. But he chose to play poker. And then demand the U.S. Navy pour missiles down on Damascus.

McCain’s media buddies dismissed it all as that likeable old Republican just being his usual approachable self. Good Lord, I sometimes wonder why the people of the Arab world don’t hate the west even more than they do!

I’ve spent enough time in the Middle East to harbour no illusions.

It can be a cruel, life-despising chunk of the planet, and tribal and religious hatreds run as deep as hell.

But some of the discussions around Syria right now are nauseating. Supporters of President Obama are applauding his call for an attack on an Arab nationalist, secular despot because he used poison gas. The same people condemned president Bush for his attack on an Arab nationalist, secular despot who used poison gas.

The difference between the two men is Saddam was a sadist and a genuine threat to regional stability.

Assad is a pragmatist who, while ruthless and violent, has no intention of invading other countries and has even protected minorities in his own nation.

In other words, liberal hypocrisy has reached even greater lengths than I thought possible.

But the double standard is not confined to the left. Conservatives who remained silent when governments in Latin America, Africa or even the Middle East committed atrocities against their own people are now suddenly belligerent and outraged at Assad’s activities.

As has been said many times, the Syrian war boasts no moral superior, just muddy killers duelling it out in the swamps of extremism.

If anything, a controlled and rebuked Assad is preferable to the hysterically unstable Islamic lunacy that would replace him.

The real issue here, however, remains the same: Iran. Syria is a sideshow, albeit one with truly dreadful human suffering.

Iran is the regional power, it is controlled by men who dream of Armageddon, the rising of the Islamic messiah and a genocidal eschatology.

While we in the west try to prevent war, Iran’s leaders plot to provoke it.

Only by massive international conflict and the death of millions can their dream of a Mahdi-led world materialize.

If American intervention in Syria can be used by Iran for these ends, they will welcome it. If Israel is attacked and then defends itself, all the better. Tehran wants Saudi Arabia and Egypt, Sunni and influential, to also become involved and to be smashed.

For the world to be safe, and for Syria to have a chance to live in peace, Iran’s government has to be removed.

It really is as simple as that.

-Michael Coren

CosmicPinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #583
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGHulk View Post
My feelings right now.

With a rebel yell she cried mo mo moa
mo mo moa
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #584
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

I mean, it's not like Obama is just throwing darts at a map and saying "Hookay, let's invade!"

Real world situations are forcing his hand to make some sort of decision. Not like you can just say "We are gonna stay out of wars" and then ignore the real world events around you when they happen.

I still don't know where I stand on this whole situation, as I feel I'm not nearly educated enough on the Syrian conflict to make an informed decision, so I'm not making a claim that Obama should or shouldn't move into Syria, but I also feel like it's unfair to make broad, general claims against Obama when world conflicts that were unforeseen come along and he's gotta respond to it in some fashion.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #585
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
I feel I'm not nearly educated enough on the Syrian conflict to make an informed decision, so I'm not making a claim that Obama should or shouldn't move into Syria, but I also feel like it's unfair to make broad, general claims against Obama when world conflicts that were unforeseen come along and he's gotta respond to it in some fashion.
It's a basic case Obama is screwed no matter what he does. The idea that he bombs a few places and it will be puppies and rainbows from that point on is a longshot(that being said argument could be made that doing that might be better then doing absolutely nothing)

SV Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #586
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
It's a basic case Obama is screwed no matter what he does. The idea that he bombs a few places and it will be puppies and rainbows from that point on is a longshot(that being said argument could be made that doing that might be better then doing absolutely nothing)
He is hardly a victim though. Obama is screwed no matter what he does because he decidd to run his mouth and make the "red line," comment to begin with. This would be a lot less painful for him (politically), had he just kept his mouth shut.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #587
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

The moral of this story: in the future make actual use of nuclear weapons the red line.

Or perhaps, invading Poland (really play it safe).

Thundercrack85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #588
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
The moral of this story: in the future make actual use of nuclear weapons the red line.
Well their is only one country that crossed that red line in the history of the world. What's that saying about glass houses. lol

Old 09-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #589
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=138_1378482833

Syrian woman rips into McCain. Good for her. It's ironic that the US will ally itself with the very people that flew planes into the World Trade Centres to bring down a secular government.

CosmicPinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #590
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

Both McCain and Obama need to take a step back, shut their mouths and do their job here at home.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #591
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPinchy View Post
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=138_1378482833

Syrian woman rips into McCain. Good for her. It's ironic that the US will ally itself with the very people that flew planes into the World Trade Centres to bring down a secular government.
A government that protects ALL religions. Unless the rebels that kill men, women and children of any religion not theirs.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #592
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Both McCain and Obama need to take a step back, shut their mouths and do their job here at home.
Excellent point.

I think with all these things going on (along with our tendency to meddle in other countries' affairs), the U.S. needs to step back. Obama doesn't need to go all willy-nilly on Syria like Bush did with Iraq in 2003.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #593
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Looks like an outside chance Obama can save face in this mess

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/polit...embrace/69194/

Quote:
Russia and Syria Like John Kerry's 'Rhetorical' Idea for Averting War

Russia and the United States worked out a secret way to agree on a resolution to the Syria crisis, with Assad giving up his chemical weapons. Or maybe the Russians are trolling John Kerry again. As Monday evolved, it seemed increasingly possible that the first possibility was the accurate one.

Secretary of State John Kerry, speaking at the British Foreign Office, offered the idea in response to a journalist's question about how strikes on Syria could be averted. The Independent reports Kerry said:
“Sure, [Assad] could turn over every single bit of his chemical weapons to the international community in the next week — turn it over, all of it without delay and allow the full and total accounting (of it), but he isn't about to do it and it can't be done.”
The Russians, however, appear to be taking the idea seriously. The Associated Press reports that Russian foreign minister Sergey Lavrov embraced Kerry's suggestion in a statement from Moscow.
Sergey Lavrov said Monday that if such a move would help avert a possible U.S. strike on Syria, Russia will start work "immediately" to persuade Syria to relinquish control over its chemical arsenals.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #594
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

It's an interesting compromise, if it's a genuine offer.

But how the hell would they carry it out?

Old 09-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #595
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's an interesting compromise, if it's a genuine offer.

But how the hell would they carry it out?
I would assume the UN somehow gets involved with representatives from Russia and the US

As I said I view it as a longshot, but major props to Obama if he can get it done(it makes him look tough and diplomatic at the same time)

Old 09-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #596
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I don't see how they can do it though. I mean, this is the same place where the UN investigators weren't even allowed to investigate a chemical attack without interference from his forces. Somehow, Assad is going to politely hand over all his chemical weapons?

The logistics alone make me question the sincerity of the offer.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #597
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Somehow, Assad is going to politely hand over all his chemical weapons?

The logistics alone make me question the sincerity of the offer.
I would guess Russia would have to be heavily involved for it to happen

Old 09-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #598
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

There's a comforting thought...

Well, I guess it can't possibly make the situation worse.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #599
Frodo
Side-Kick

Obama shouldn't let this moment pass and should take the Russia deal. He's gotta check himself before he wrecks himself.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #600
WilliamK99
Side-Kick

Here is a question I have, has a Nobel Peace Prize winner ever threatened to attack another nation? This is what amazes me most of all, and is something the media is overlooking. He is a Peace Prize winner, but is not acting like one...

WilliamK99 is offline   Reply With Quote