The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 05-27-2013, 12:06 AM   #176
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Actually it was just "xmen : the last stand" X3 was never part of the official title. It was just referenced in image (x with wolvies claws) an was essentially the codename for it. Unlike "X2: Xmen united"'s title.
Thats what I said.

I said they named X3 "X-Men: the Last Stand".

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #177
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Thats what I said.

I said they named X3 "X-Men: the Last Stand".
Ah sorry i miss read

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #178
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
But you're under the assumption the 70s arnt going to be a major focus. Its not a flashback.

This film could mostly take place in the 70s (like X-men origins) which was also the 70s and considered a prequel .

This film is just as much a prequel to the OT as it is a sequel to it.
Since when I didn't say the 70s cast won't get the major focus. I already said in the past the Wolverine, Professor X and Magneto would get the most focus in the film.

And DOFP can't be a prequel if they are time travellers from the present period (from the main/original series), travelling to the past to change things/history. Thats not a prequel. A prequel film is merely showing things that already happened in the past.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:16 AM   #179
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Since when I didn't say the 70s cast won't get the major focus. I already said in the past the Wolverine, Professor X and Magneto would get the most focus in the film.

And DOFP can't be a prequel if they are time travellers from the present period (from the main/original series), travelling to the past to change things/history. Thats not a prequel. A prequel film is merely showing things that already happened in the past.
Ah but the past is never 100% changed... Some things will still repeat. Before anything is even "changed" we will be watching events and happenings that happened post X1. Thus its still a prequel . It can't be a sequel to a prequel (and still be set before the ot in a timeline) without it still being a prequel too.

Also we really don't know how singer will handle time travel. Literally everything that happens might STILL lead them to the events of X1. Time travel can be tricky

[=]
Old 05-27-2013, 12:18 AM   #180
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

How can a film be a prequel if some of the scenes are already set in the present? Like I said in the other page, X1/X2/X3 also had scenes set in the past so should we call them a prequel film too? No. Thats the same thing with DOFP.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:23 AM   #181
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
How can a film be a prequel if some of the scenes are already set in the present? Like I said in the other page, X1/X2/X3 also had scenes set in the past but should we call them a prequel film too? No. Thats the same thing with DOFP.
Because those are brief scenes. Not a majority (or even half) of the film. Like we know Dofp will be.

The Dofp future setting could be an alternate future that never actually happened because when we watch the OT the events of Dofp fiIm could actually have already happened. If that makes sense....

[=]
Old 05-27-2013, 12:23 AM   #182
JP
To me

Quote:
How can a film be a prequel if some of the scenes are already set in the present? Like I said in the other page, X1/X2/X3 also had scenes set in the past so should we call them a prequel film too? No. Thats the same thing with DOFP.
So you're saying the First Class actors/characters are going to be reduced to a quick opening credit flashback?

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:26 AM   #183
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
So you're saying the First Class actors/characters are going to be reduced to a quick opening credit flashback?
No, but their scenes before the future/present-day X-Men go to the 1973 should be considered as "flashbacks" simply because the scenes set in 1973 already happened in the past.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:26 AM   #184
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Lol i know right? So if we only see the OT cast in the beginning of the film for 10min and the rest of the film is set in the past showing us past events that happened before the OT its suddenly only a sequel just because the way the film opened? Lol

[=]
Old 05-27-2013, 12:29 AM   #185
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
No, but their scenes before the future/present-day X-Men go to the 1973 should be considered as "flashbacks" simply because the scenes set in 1973 already happened in the past.
We don't even know if there's an actual physical time traveler yet... its pretty apparent singer isn't retelling the exact same story from the books

Honestly this would have been a fantastic reason to keep Emma frost or bring in Destiny. Either destiny already knows about the future events... Or xavier of the future could have given Emma frost a vision

[=]

Last edited by spideyboy_1111; 05-27-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:31 AM   #186
JP
To me

Quote:
if we go by your argument then the film can't possibly be a sequel either.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:33 AM   #187
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

This is kinda hard to explain but to simplify what I'm trying to say is

1973 (before the future/present day X-Men time-travel to 1973) = flashbacks

Scenes set in the future/present time = present time

1973 (when the future/present day X-Men finally time traveled to 1973) = it cannot be considered as a flashback scene anymore or scenes that already happened in the past because just by the fact that the people from the future traveled to the past is already changing the history and possibly opening to an alternate timeline, well unless OT Professor X and OT Magneto did meet the future X-Men in 1973.

Quote:
if we go by your argument then the film can't possibly be a sequel either.
It is set after the events of X3. So it can be considered as a sequel to X3.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:37 AM   #188
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
This is kinda hard to explain but to simplify what I'm trying to say is

1973 (before the future/present day X-Men time-travel to 1973) = flashbacks

Scenes set in the future/present time = present time

1973 (when the future/present day X-Men finally time traveled to 1973) = it cannot be considered as a flashback anymore or scenes that already happened in the past because just by the fact that the people from the future traveled to the past is already changing the history and possibly opening to an alternate timeline, well unless OT Professor X and OT Magneto did meet the future X-Men in 1973.
The past is still the past though even if its altered. You're right that its no longer a flashback but the 70s is always still the past. And still treating the future date.

I know what you're saying. But its still just as much a prequel as it is sequel

[=]
Old 05-27-2013, 12:38 AM   #189
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Whatever, we are only gonna know this once we see the film. For now, its all speculation.

And for me, the past is NOT the past anymore, when there's people from the future/present changing things.

So when Wolverine and the other X-Men are in 1973 trying to change things, I would view it as the present but just in a different time period.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 05-27-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:07 AM   #190
JP
To me

Yeah, I don't get it. It can't be considered a prequel because it has future scenes, but it CAN be considered a sequel despite also focusing on the past?

This logic is not sound.

Last edited by JP; 05-27-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:13 AM   #191
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

I'm not strictly a meat-eater because I had a salad once, but I AM a vegetarian because that salad was really ****ing good.

What's not sound about that logic?

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:08 AM   #192
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

my brain hurts.. time travel sux

but salads are yummy

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
mkilban2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:51 AM   #193
TWayneP
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, I don't get it. It can't be considered a prequel because it has future scenes, but it CAN be considered a sequel despite also focusing on the past?

This logic is not sound.
Haha indeed. When dealing with time travel, logic will never be sound. There basically is no logic because its an endless loop no matter what. If you go back in time to change events, you've had to go back in time millions of times before that for all of eternity...

I agree with spideyboy though. Yea technically the events of x1, 2 and 3 should happen after DOFP, it's messed up, but that's time travel logic for ya. If you start to think about it too deeply, it really messes with ya haha. I'd have a hard time explaining why DOFP is a prequel just as much a sequel.

It's a sequel about prequel-goings-on... Or is it the other way around, heh.

Last edited by TWayneP; 05-27-2013 at 05:56 AM.
TWayneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #194
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
About that article: Singer also said he wasn't going to be ignoring any of the existing films.
I don't think that proves anything. One could just as easily say that in order to fix a problem you have to acknowledge it exists first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
When you add in the fact that, because The Wolverine is set after TLS, any 'undoing' of TLS' events would also alter or invalidate the events of that movie as well, and that's not going to happen.
I don't buy this argument, especially in light of Bryan Singer's involvement. Singer has shown a willingness to alter or invalidate elements that don't work before. He did it to Superman 3 and 4 with Superman Returns, and he did it to X-Men Origins with First Class. I see no reason why he won't do it to The Wolverine with Days of Future Past, especially now that the storyline provides a basis for it and can help square away any potential misgivings the studio may have with the franchise, rather than simply connect the dots. We'll see.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #195
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWayneP View Post
When dealing with time travel, logic will never be sound.
Pretty much

def28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #196
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Lol yea i don't want anything of that. Kinda just wish they called jean an omega mutant.

The class system she probably did make up due to her tracking abilities. Maybe she can feel their power levels
It would have been hilarious if one of the minions had a confused look on their face when she said all that Class Levels. Or even Magneto asking WTF she was talking about.

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #197
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
He's dead. Face the facts. They gave him a tombstone at the end of the movie - that the writers, director and studio telling you that they intended for him to be dead.

The whole Phoenix plot hinges on him being dead - it makes her a dangerous person whose powers must be stopped.
Agreed. Scott definitely and unquestionably died in X3. Want proof?

Xavier told Jean at her parent's home that she "killed the man you loved because you couldn't control your powers". If Scott had somehow survived, Xavier would've known about it via his own psi powers, not to mention a search with Cerebro would've confirmed his whereabouts.

Scott Summers died in X3. No qualms about it. The question is, how do they bring him back and undo the stupidity?

Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #198
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

This is what I have to say to psylockollusses with regards to this 'prequel/sequel' business: in the words of Inigo Montoya, "you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

I had previously been convinced that First Class invalidated Origins: Wolverine, but in light of multiple developments since then, have changed my mind. There's actually nothing in FC that does anything whatsoever to O:W, and I don't believe that Singer will do anything in DoFP to invalidate The Last Stand and/or The Wolverine. Things that are currently seen as inconsistencies - such as Xavier having the use of his legs - can be addressed without invalidating anything from the existing films, and things like the Cure being reversed and Xavier returning from the dead are things that were actually seeded by TLS itself and therefore would not count as invalidating that film.

I've seen nothing whatsoever to convince me that whatever 'fixes' Singer chooses to make will in any way alter the composition of the X-Franchise, despite what some fans might want.

IOW, I firmly remain convinced that all of the movies that currently comprise the franchise - FC, X-Men, X2, TLS, O:W, and the as-yet-unreleased TW - will still comprise the franchise when the events of DoFP are completed.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #199
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Strykez! View Post
Agreed. Scott definitely and unquestionably died in X3. Want proof?

Xavier told Jean at her parent's home that she "killed the man you loved because you couldn't control your powers". If Scott had somehow survived, Xavier would've known about it via his own psi powers, not to mention a search with Cerebro would've confirmed his whereabouts.

Scott Summers died in X3. No qualms about it. The question is, how do they bring him back and undo the stupidity?
Xavier lies all the time and keeps things hidden.

But undoing the stupidity can be done in a number of ways, it's more of a which way will they do it.

Majik1387 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #200
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

I've said this before, but just because you disagree with Scott's death doesn't make it "stupidity", and I wish people would stop villifying creative decisions just because they disagree with said decisions. It's incredibly childish and petty.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote