The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #201
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,905
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
I've said this before, but just because you disagree with Scott's death doesn't make it "stupidity", and I wish people would stop villifying creative decisions just because they disagree with said decisions. It's incredibly childish and petty.
Maybe if you actually stop thinking it was a well thought out creative decision....

It was a last minute decision once they got marsden added back to the cast. It was the only option "how do we bring marsden in and wrap up his story in a day or two of filming? " "we kill him"

Just because you weren't around or arnt privy to the information many of us (me and JP included) following interviews and what not around the time, doesn't suddenly mean because you arnt aware, your thoughts are true.

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]

Last edited by spideyboy_1111; 05-27-2013 at 02:28 PM.
spideyboy_1111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #202
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick
 
GuestStar2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,080
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
I've said this before, but just because you disagree with Scott's death doesn't make it "stupidity", and I wish people would stop villifying creative decisions just because they disagree with said decisions. It's incredibly childish and petty.
it was a stupid creative decision... that better?

__________________
A Guest star on this Forum Since 2004
GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #203
JP
Smelly
 
JP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 53,617
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Exactly. Didn't either Kinberg or Penn confirm that is was basically a discussion by FOX (albeit a spiteful one) because of the scheduling conflict they had with Marsden?

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #204
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,875
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
it was a stupid creative decision... that better?
No. "A creative decision that I disagree with and would like to see undone" would be better because it's not vindictive.

As for my own thoughts on it, I'm ambivalent; regardless of what may or may not have motivated it, it was the decision that was made. It makes sense within the context of TLS' storyline, and that's all that really matters to me in the end.

I ultimately don't care whether or not people do or do not agree with the decision; I'd just like the attitude of 'because I disagree with something I'm going to villify the decision by referring to it in negative, vindictive, and dismissive terms" to go away because I think it detracts from actual discussion.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett

Last edited by DigificWriter; 05-27-2013 at 02:35 PM.
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #205
JP
Smelly
 
JP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 53,617
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
No. "A creative decision that I disagree with and would like to see undone" would be better because it's not vindictive.
And yet it was a vindictive decision.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #206
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,905
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Exactly. Didn't either Kinberg or Penn confirm that is was basically a discussion by FOX (albeit a spiteful one) because of the scheduling conflict they had with Marsden?
Yes. Marsden was originally cut from X3 entirely after he went on to do SR. Marsden and the writers pleaded with FOX to work with marsdens schedule (which was unfortunately very limited) to put Scott back in the film. They all felt his absence would hurt the film. Marsden even offered to do the film for free.

So once he was back he only had a couple if days to shoot. And all the writers could really do was kill him off. It was not some well thought out creative decision. I even remember reading that one of the writers even admitted they even hated writing it and it pained them to have to kill of Scott. But it was the only way to explain his disappearance in such a short amount of time. They were also hopeful and even were the ones who decided to make it an off screen death for the hope a future installment might find a way to bring him back. That was the only slightly thought out piece. In comic book and movie lore.... "if you don't see the body, there's always a way they can return"

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #207
Angamb
Banned User
 
Angamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Spain
Posts: 13,348
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

they could have easily written that Jean attacked him so hardly that left him in Coma for the rest of the film, to wake up at the end.

but well, maybe that was too much to ask for

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #208
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D
 
Majik1387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Theme Park central
Posts: 38,769
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

I always say Alpha Flight should have been hinted at having him in custody.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #209
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,905
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
they could have easily written that Jean attacked him so hardly that left him in Coma for the rest of the film, to wake up at the end.

but well, maybe that was too much to ask for
Eh we saw that with Xavier already in X1. And that's even more upsetting.... He's comatose while everyone else deals with jean... And wakes up to learn Wolverine killed his fiance?

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #210
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger
 
spideyboy_1111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Ohio, formally Los Angeles, by way of Ohio
Posts: 58,905
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
I always say Alpha Flight should have been hinted at having him in custody.
I think sinister having him works better personally.... Its something sinister would do. And having a villain keep him away from his "family" makes more sense anyway.

__________________

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #211
BeholdMe
Storm Disciple
 
BeholdMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,080
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

I agree it was a stupid creative decision, that may have came about because a number of reasons. That dosent make my comments any more vindictive I dont see how that benefited the movie it didnt make Pheonix stop it just made her mad once she realized what she did. There's a chance to bring Scott back,none of us know fully what Singer has in store.

BeholdMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #212
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D
 
Majik1387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Theme Park central
Posts: 38,769
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
I think sinister having him works better personally.... Its something sinister would do. And having a villain keep him away from his "family" makes more sense anyway.
I rather no Sinister involvement personally unless Apocalypse follows. I just can't get behind any support for Mr. Sinister, nothing sounds that interesting about him to me.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #213
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay
 
Lightning Strykez!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where Mortals Fear To Tread
Posts: 31,452
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
I've said this before, but just because you disagree with Scott's death doesn't make it "stupidity", and I wish people would stop villifying creative decisions just because they disagree with said decisions. It's incredibly childish and petty.
I do disagree with their moves regarding Scott. However, you'd be mistaken to think that my position is informed by childish or petty notions.

It is a well-documented fact that Scott's death in X3 was fueled by studio politics involving James Marsden, Bryan Singer and 20th Century Fox (Thom Rothman to be specific). Therefore the decision to kill him off was not "creative" as you put it. In fact, it was an action motivated by the very childish and petty behavior you're speaking of.

This is an argument you simply cannot win DigificWriter. I recommend you check the facts before you dole out the condescension.

__________________
You're obviously a idiotic troll looking for attention.
Now please...go to the top of the highest staircase you can find, and just fall.
Don't question it...it's for your own good.
Once you've fallen, just lay there. As you lay, simply think of how stupid you are and how your stupidity got you there.


Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #214
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D
 
Majik1387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Theme Park central
Posts: 38,769
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

It's all in the X3 threads as well as the internet itself.

Majik1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #215
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay
 
Lightning Strykez!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where Mortals Fear To Tread
Posts: 31,452
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
And yet it was a vindictive decision.
Exactly right. Bryan jumped ship for Superman Returns and FOX fast-tracked X3 to "keep up" and actually beat SR to arrival at the box office in the spring of 2006. Many corners were cut, and some of them affected the quality, writing and even SFX for the film. In the end, SR--though critically lauded--was a huge box office disappointment, while X3--though a box office blockbuster--was a critical failure. No one won that silly ass competition...but Superman and X-Men fans lost big-time across the board.

If FOX had simply waited for Bryan to return, much of that could've been avoided. The failure of SR actually damaged Bryan's reputation, especially in the CBM fan community. He has yet to redeem himself along those lines (hopefully DoFP will be a return to form for him). And James Marsden saw his character shafted in the hands of FOX's new writers...and in a Dark Phoenix storyline that was MADE for him nonetheless.

Now that's vindictive.

__________________
You're obviously a idiotic troll looking for attention.
Now please...go to the top of the highest staircase you can find, and just fall.
Don't question it...it's for your own good.
Once you've fallen, just lay there. As you lay, simply think of how stupid you are and how your stupidity got you there.



Last edited by Lightning Strykez!; 05-27-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #216
Specter313
Ghost of all things X
 
Specter313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 6ft. under
Posts: 35,417
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

The whole thing with Scott in X3 is also why many who were around back then to see it all unfold find the whole recent Quicksilver news fishy on Fox's end.

__________________
Specter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #217
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay
 
Lightning Strykez!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where Mortals Fear To Tread
Posts: 31,452
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter313 View Post
The whole thing with Scott in X3 is also why many who were around back then to see it all unfold find the whole recent Quicksilver news fishy on Fox's end.
Yes. This. All of it.

Glad I'm not the only one who is a bit leery of that decision as well.

__________________
You're obviously a idiotic troll looking for attention.
Now please...go to the top of the highest staircase you can find, and just fall.
Don't question it...it's for your own good.
Once you've fallen, just lay there. As you lay, simply think of how stupid you are and how your stupidity got you there.


Lightning Strykez! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #218
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,875
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Lightning Strykez, I used the terms I did solely in reference to using vindictive terms to refer to the decision to kill off Scott. To me, it doesn't really matter what might've or might not've motivated the decision; I still think it's childish and petty to villify the decision and the people who made it just because you disagree with it.

I vehemently disagreed with a decision that Joss Whedon made in the seventh season of BtVS, but I never vilified him for making that decision. I see a distinction between disagreeing with something and villifying the decision and the people who made it.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett

Last edited by DigificWriter; 05-27-2013 at 09:07 PM.
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #219
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: X-Mansion and the Baxter Building
Posts: 19,341
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Yeah, I don't get it. It can't be considered a prequel because it has future scenes, but it CAN be considered a sequel despite also focusing on the past?

This logic is not sound.
Wherever the present/modern day Wolverine and the modern-day X-Men go is the *PRESENT*.

That's my simplest explanation for what I was trying to say.

__________________
X-MEN RI5E' MUTANT OF THE MONTH | JEAN GREY | PORTRAYED BY FAMKE JANNSEN
"All kind of things." - X1
"This is the only way" - X2
"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #220
JP
Smelly
 
JP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 53,617
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

And it still makes little sense.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #221
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com
 
mkilban2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 3,554
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Wherever the present/modern day Wolverine and the modern-day X-Men go is the *PRESENT*.

That's my simplest explanation for what I was trying to say.
if the crew from 2013 goes to 1975, they are in the past not the present just because they are there. They are *Presently* in the past, but just because they are there does not make it the present. Unless that 2013 crew permanently stays in 1975 then it becomes their current present. (i'm confused just writing all that)

__________________
"1983: I was 14 years old and I still have a nanny.. that was weird!"

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )

Last edited by mkilban2; 05-27-2013 at 10:19 PM.
mkilban2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #222
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: X-Mansion and the Baxter Building
Posts: 19,341
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
if the crew from 2013 goes to 1975, they are in the past not the present just because they are there. They are *Presently* in the past, but just because they are there does not make it the present. Unless that 2013 crew permanently stays in 1975 then it becomes their current present. (i'm confused just writing all that)
But still the original cast/present people setting their feet in the *past* makes the past not really the past because they are altering the events there.

What we will see in this *past* w/ the original cast/people from the future is NOT the things that already *happened in the past*. So it can't be a prequel. The original cast/present people going to 1973 hasn't happened in the past before unless OT Professor X/OT Magneto did meet the 2010s X-Men in 1973.

__________________
X-MEN RI5E' MUTANT OF THE MONTH | JEAN GREY | PORTRAYED BY FAMKE JANNSEN
"All kind of things." - X1
"This is the only way" - X2
"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018

Last edited by psylockolussus; 05-27-2013 at 10:27 PM.
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #223
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com
 
mkilban2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 3,554
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

yeah.. I don't know, my brain hurts from that stuff lol. I'll just watch and see, the time travel is not a big deal to me.

__________________
"1983: I was 14 years old and I still have a nanny.. that was weird!"

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
mkilban2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #224
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: X-Mansion and the Baxter Building
Posts: 19,341
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
yeah.. I don't know, my brain hurts from that stuff lol. I'll just watch and see, the time travel is not a big deal to me.
This is how I view it

FC= people from the past
OT= people from the present

So wherever the present-day Wolverine and present-day X-Men go, whether its 1930 or 2100, it will look like its the present for them simply because the things that they will encounter hasn't happened before.

__________________
X-MEN RI5E' MUTANT OF THE MONTH | JEAN GREY | PORTRAYED BY FAMKE JANNSEN
"All kind of things." - X1
"This is the only way" - X2
"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018

Last edited by psylockolussus; 05-27-2013 at 10:48 PM.
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #225
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,875
Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 2

Once again I have to bring out the Inigo: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
"harm" is not the same thing as "stuff we don't like."
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.