The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Microsoft

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default Re: The Xbox One

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline  
Old 05-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default The Xbox One

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline  
Old 05-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
Dugath
Side-Kick
 
Dugath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 826
Default Re: The Xbox One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
I like how people are equating loaning something to a friend with torrenting. Classy. Every company has their loyalists, I guess.

Not to be argumentative (and this will be my last say on it), but how is it not?

1-Someone gets a game from a "friend" plays it (for free) with no additional payments going towards the company who created it (and those in between)..

2-Download the same Game..(torrent) to play for free.. with no additional payments going towards the company who created it (and those in between)..

Either way, people get to play the game without paying for it.

Oh and if you are going to say.. the original person paid for it so they can lend it out..

Same goes for Torrents.. someone, someplace bought the game, and put it up for download to "share" it.

Its just in the first way, your friend does not have to wast bandwidth.

it comes down to in MS's view (and the views of the companies who makes these games), not mine.

__________________
Xbox GT- CanadianElite66
Dead Rising 3
Ryse
Battle Field 4
Dugath is offline  
Old 05-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts
 
terry78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 58,553
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 2

So you're saying The Sun is not an accurate news outlet.

__________________
The best leaders never want to be leaders.
-----------
Who the **** makes a movie and while planning it is like, "you know what this needs...is some Greg Kinnear."
terry78 is offline  
Old 05-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator
 
craigdbfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Interstellar
Posts: 27,133
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 2

CNN, Fox and the rest of those mentioned on there have absolutely no clue about the gaming community or even gaming in general. These are the same people that will not hesitate to label all of these consoles as horrific tools that are poisoning the minds of children.

Clueless.

__________________
Quote:
For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Avvy by Kane

Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline  
Old 05-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #6
Grievous
General of the Droid Army
 
Grievous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kalee
Posts: 4,195
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 2

Somehow I see the Xbox One and PS4 getting brought up in the violence debate this year. The issue for taxing violent games will prob get brought up again with video games having a huge spotlight on them this year with the new consoles.

__________________
The CIS will rise again!
Kentucky Wildcats Nashville Predators Baltimore Ravens
"Jedi! You are surrounded, your army is decimated. Make peace with the Force now…for this is your final hour. But know that I, General Grievous, am not completely without mercy. I will grant you a warrior's death. Prepare!" - General Grievous
Grievous is offline  
Old 05-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero
 
ChrisBaleBatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shadow Moses
Posts: 18,398
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 2

I know it's not the same, because realistically the broader audience that Microsoft is reaching for is wider and far ranging...but still, I think of Nintendo.

I totally understand the desire to place bets on the general audience. I get that. Sony tried it as well. But, I just feel like as long as they know that the surer bet will always be the hardcore audience, then they'll be fine.

I feel like Nintendo doubled down on the general audience, taking the hardcore market for granted. And that they've been paying the price for that ever since the Wii stopped being the mass market juggernaut it was.

ChrisBaleBatman is offline  
Old 05-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL
 
Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Londinium, North of Gaul, circa XLIII AD
Posts: 44,512
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
So you're saying The Sun is not an accurate news outlet.
Haha, it's clueless but has massive coverage.

__________________
Xbox GT: Miramax7000 121,677 G
Iceman is offline  
Old 05-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
darthcoolness3
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 313
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 2

so 15 exclusives for the Xbox One
The 15 exclusives:
-4 of them are Sports Games from EA Sports
- Forza Motorsport 5
-COD: Ghosts
- The weird game made by the Alan Wake developers

7 of those exclusives are what they shown yesterday, we will get 8 more exclusives shown at E3 2013

darthcoolness3 is online now  
Old 05-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
Soapy
It's happening again...
 
Soapy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 14,943
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 2

RE: The mainstream media being head over heels for Xbox One: Yeah, no ****. First of all it's aimed primarily at them and their audience, and second, ever heard the term "fluff piece"?

__________________
Your game music of the week: "Delfino Plaza" from Super Mario Sunshine
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Soapy is offline  
Old 05-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
Soapy
It's happening again...
 
Soapy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 14,943
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthcoolness3 View Post
so 15 exclusives for the Xbox One
The 15 exclusives:
-4 of them are Sports Games from EA Sports
- Forza Motorsport 5
-COD: Ghosts
- The weird game made by the Alan Wake developers

7 of those exclusives are what they shown yesterday, we will get 8 more exclusives shown at E3 2013
No way EA or Activision make thier games exclusive.

__________________
Your game music of the week: "Delfino Plaza" from Super Mario Sunshine
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Soapy is offline  
Old 05-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
Doc Ock
The Desolation of Spidey
 
Doc Ock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oklahoma, US
Posts: 6,968
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
No way EA or Activision make thier games exclusive.
Yup.

__________________
Iron Man 3 - 8.5/10 | Man of Steel -7/10 | The Wolverine -9/10 | Thor: The Dark World - 8.5/10
Sci-Fi Space Adventure Returns 2014-15: Guardians of the Galaxy & Star Wars Episode VII
Hulk|Spider-Man|Superman|Hellboy|X-Men|Thor
A Member of Raimi's "Spider-Man Trilogy" Fans | YOU MUST WATCH DOCTOR WHO | Love Smallville | I still believe in heroes Marvel Studios.
Doc Ock is offline  
Old 05-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL
 
Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Londinium, North of Gaul, circa XLIII AD
Posts: 44,512
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBaleBatman View Post
I know it's not the same, because realistically the broader audience that Microsoft is reaching for is wider and far ranging...but still, I think of Nintendo.

I totally understand the desire to place bets on the general audience. I get that. Sony tried it as well. But, I just feel like as long as they know that the surer bet will always be the hardcore audience, then they'll be fine.

I feel like Nintendo doubled down on the general audience, taking the hardcore market for granted. And that they've been paying the price for that ever since the Wii stopped being the mass market juggernaut it was.
The problem with Nintendo's approach was that their super weapon, the motion control, is something that for casuals doesn't need to be upgraded once purchased. It's seen as a one off purchase that still works satisfactorily for parties & when they have people come over (& therefore no need to upgrade to wii U) unlike smartphones and their extra features which deal with stuff they will always be interested in and willing to upgrade.

XBox could easily fail at its multimedia & TV push with all the upcoming competition out there..but if it succeeds and capture smarket share in this area, it will have a more enduring casual audience rather than a flash in the pan.

__________________
Xbox GT: Miramax7000 121,677 G
Iceman is offline  
Old 05-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #14
Havok83
Side-Kick
 
Havok83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 32,425
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
No way EA or Activision make thier games exclusive.
Exactly. There's too much money to be made on other platforms to stick with just this one. MS would have to pay them an absurd amount of money to make up for that, money which wouldn't be wisely spent as they are already about to be in the hole when they launch this new console. It wouldn't be a smart decision for any of the companies

Havok83 is offline  
Old 05-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #15
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury
 
Spidey-Bat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sudden Valley
Posts: 38,957
Default Re: The Xbox One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugath View Post
Either way, people get to play the game without paying for it.

Oh and if you are going to say.. the original person paid for it so they can lend it out..

Same goes for Torrents.. someone, someplace bought the game, and put it up for download to "share" it.


Its just in the first way, your friend does not have to wast bandwidth.

it comes down to in MS's view (and the views of the companies who makes these games), not mine.
And here's where your argument falls apart. If someone purchases a legal copy of the game, they have privileges via first-sale doctrine which allow them to give away or sell the game because they are a legal owner of a copy. However, making and distributing copies (via torrents) requires you to extract the information from the disc which is illegal since you circumvent the manufacturer's protection of it.

Spidey-Bat is offline  
Old 05-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #16
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 17,580
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 2

Indeed.

Quote:
The first-sale doctrine creates a basic exception to the copyright holder's distribution right. Once the work is lawfully sold or even transferred gratuitously, the copyright owner's interest in the material object in which the copyrighted work is embodied is exhausted. The owner of the material object can then dispose of it as he sees fit. Thus, one who buys a copy of a book is entitled to resell it, rent it, give it away, or destroy it. However, the owner of the copy of the book will not be able to make new copies of the book because the first-sale doctrine does not limit copyright owner's reproduction right. The rationale of the doctrine is to prevent the copyright owner from restraining the free alienability of goods. Without the doctrine, a possessor of a copy of a copyrighted work would have to negotiate with the copyright owner every time he wished to dispose of his copy. After the initial transfer of ownership of a legal copy of a copyrighted work, the first-sale doctrine exhausts copyright holder's right to control how ownership of that copy can be disposed of.

__________________

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline  
Old 05-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #17
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL
 
Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Londinium, North of Gaul, circa XLIII AD
Posts: 44,512
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 2

As for the exclusives...one of the existing will be Forza, 2 of the new ones will be Ryse & Quantum Break (assuming both are intended to be franchises). Maybe they're including that Respawn Titan game too. Most of the other existing ones will likely be Kinext & XBLA. I hope at least 2 or 3 of the other new ones are full retail and not Kinect or XBLA.

__________________
Xbox GT: Miramax7000 121,677 G
Iceman is offline  
Old 05-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #18
Nathan
...
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 43,449
Default Re: The Xbox One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey-Bat View Post
And here's where your argument falls apart. If someone purchases a legal copy of the game, they have privileges via first-sale doctrine which allow them to give away or sell the game because they are a legal owner of a copy. However, making and distributing copies (via torrents) requires you to extract the information from the disc which is illegal since you circumvent the manufacturer's protection of it.
Also, unlike torrents, there will always only be one person able to use the game at any given time. If I bought a game, and then lend it to a friend, guess what, I won't be able to play the game. And once the game is back in my possession, guess what, my friend won't be able to play it.

This torrent argument is truly stupid.

Nathan is offline  
Old 05-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #19
Nathan
...
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 43,449
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 2

Quote:
A Microsoft executive has suggested Rare is making an Xbox One game based on its "historic IP".
I wonder if they'll finally revive Killer Instinct. I personally don't care for it, but fans have been asking for another Killer Instinct for ages.

Nathan is offline  
Old 05-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #20
Doc Ock
The Desolation of Spidey
 
Doc Ock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oklahoma, US
Posts: 6,968
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I wonder if they'll finally revive Killer Instinct. I personally don't care for it, but fans have been asking for another Killer Instinct for ages.
I used to love Rare but could care less what they are working on now, they aren't Rare anymore...

__________________
Iron Man 3 - 8.5/10 | Man of Steel -7/10 | The Wolverine -9/10 | Thor: The Dark World - 8.5/10
Sci-Fi Space Adventure Returns 2014-15: Guardians of the Galaxy & Star Wars Episode VII
Hulk|Spider-Man|Superman|Hellboy|X-Men|Thor
A Member of Raimi's "Spider-Man Trilogy" Fans | YOU MUST WATCH DOCTOR WHO | Love Smallville | I still believe in heroes Marvel Studios.
Doc Ock is offline  
Old 05-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
ChrisBaleBatman
Legendary Hero
 
ChrisBaleBatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shadow Moses
Posts: 18,398
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
The problem with Nintendo's approach was that their super weapon, the motion control, is something that for casuals doesn't need to be upgraded once purchased. It's seen as a one off purchase that still works satisfactorily for parties & when they have people come over (& therefore no need to upgrade to wii U) unlike smartphones and their extra features which deal with stuff they will always be interested in and willing to upgrade.

XBox could easily fail at its multimedia & TV push with all the upcoming competition out there..but if it succeeds and capture smarket share in this area, it will have a more enduring casual audience rather than a flash in the pan.
Yeah, I agree.

And really, Microsoft has room to fail and then pick themselves up. If the bet doesn't pay off, they can still win people back. The hardcore audience doesn't really vanish all that easily. I think Nintendo actually did have a chance to win back people too, when they launched the Wii U. But, well...we saw what happened there.

It makes sense, going for it like Microsoft is. I've even heard that conceptually, the X1 is meant to always be on. Or on for vastly longer periods of time than we'd think for a gaming console. Which makes sense, if it's going to be this mass media hub for movies, music, internet and tv.

ChrisBaleBatman is offline  
Old 05-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #22
DirtyHarry
Occhi d'aquila
 
DirtyHarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Tucumcari
Posts: 5,145
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 2

So this is most people's reaction to the reveal:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:



__________________
(4/20/13) One of 2 People on SHH to Finish...
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Stanley Kubrick defeats Alfred Hitchcock by one vote to win The Best Directors of All Time Tournament. (11/16/13)
DirtyHarry is online now  
Old 05-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #23
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL
 
Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Londinium, North of Gaul, circa XLIII AD
Posts: 44,512
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBaleBatman View Post
Yeah, I agree.

And really, Microsoft has room to fail and then pick themselves up. If the bet doesn't pay off, they can still win people back. The hardcore audience doesn't really vanish all that easily. I think Nintendo actually did have a chance to win back people too, when they launched the Wii U. But, well...we saw what happened there.

It makes sense, going for it like Microsoft is. I've even heard that conceptually, the X1 is meant to always be on. Or on for vastly longer periods of time than we'd think for a gaming console. Which makes sense, if it's going to be this mass media hub for movies, music, internet and tv.
Yeah I think Microsoft can fail here and be ok for future attempts after the foundations of the 360. Same for Nintendo though for at least one more generation. They've been profitable for so long and the 3DS success will give them the back up for another shot. As unlikely as it sounds, if they gave up on wii U in a few years and released a superior (superior to PS4 & XB1) mid gen newly branded Nintendo console I think they'd be right back in there, especially if it was compatible with 3DS & embraced online gaming & multiplatform. Would take a huge change in managerial thinking though but maybe a wii U shock could provoke that change.

__________________
Xbox GT: Miramax7000 121,677 G
Iceman is offline  
Old 05-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #24
Fading
>:(
 
Fading's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,180
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 2

I don't want to quote all of the comments on this, as there was a whole conversation on it. I just wanted to say, that NO, letting a friend borrow a game is NOTHING like downloading a torrent.


When you buy a physical copy of a game, YOU own that physical copy. You can burn it, take a dump on it, sell it, let a friend borrow and play it, ect. That particular copy is yours to do whatever you want with it. Now if you rip the data off of it, and create copies of it, then that is illegal. This is why what Gamestop does is legal, they legally buy a used copy, now that copy is legally theirs, and they can now legally sell it to whoever.


The reason I argue against these points so strongly is that we need to quit trying to defend these greedy practices, that in and of themselves skirt being illegal. After the intial purchase, a company is no longer owned any additional sales from the product. This is law, and EA and whoever else can argue it all they want, but they're wrong, and we the consumers don't need to defend them.

Movie studios tried this as well before, and it didn't fly. Video game companies are currently trying to find a way to get further money out of a sold product that doesn't land them in trouble with the law. Some of their practices are down right shady, and borederline illegal.

If you want to support a company by buying new to reward good work, awesome. I've done it several times before by being a first day buyer. However giving the OK to shady buisness practices isn't supporting a company. It's supporting greedy CEO's who want to do something that the law affords to no other industries, and in many cases has let them know they can't do in court.

To put it another way, you don't see Ford asking for a percentage of the sales you get from selling your truck via craigslist. You don't see 20th Century Fox charging you an additional fee for each person watching the movie with you in your living room. You don't see Steven King charging full price fees to friends you loan books you've bought, that he wrote too. As long as we continue to defend video game developers who continue to do what no one entertainment medium does, the further they push these shady practices. They assume we're ok with fees because a vocal minority defends them so ferociously online, then seem shocked when there's a public outcry against it, because they assumed we support it.

__________________
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
Fading is offline  
Old 05-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #25
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014
 
Whiskey Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The South
Posts: 17,580
Default Re: The Xbox One - Part 2


__________________

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.