The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #101
Tobias
Side-Kick

Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
Wow... I gotta say MOS looks really great in all the tv spots. They r way better than SR the whole movie. Even the plane saving of SR look average compare to MOS tv spots.
I really hope it will do supes in box office.
I hope my prediction is wrong completely
I too hope my 550 million WW prediction is wrong. If reviews are really good and the FB count gets up over 850K I might raise it a bit. FB is an indicator, not the only one, and it's count is too low now. 675K or so.

But yes the film looks incredible, Henry looks incredible, the suit looks incredible (and I am a trunks fan).

Remember how with SR we were starving for still photos of Routh in the suit. There were so few. Not so with henry and MOS. Though there are still not enough photos for my liking - LOL!

On a side note, Ratner's planned 2006 film would have been a lot cloaser to MOS in style and scope than to SR.

Last edited by Tobias; 05-26-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #102
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

SR made more than twice amount of money in India (Compared to Iron Man 2 or Thor), so there is a brand awareness (Superman) compared to other Marvel properties (except Spider-Man which is The most popular super hero.)

Lack of promotion is puzzling, to say the least.

*\S/T*
Old 05-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #103
Juha Bach
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
I too hope my 550 million WW prediction is wrong. If reviews are really good and the FB count gets up over 850K I might raise it a bit. FB is an indicator, not the only one, and it's count is too low now. 675K or so.

But yes the film looks incredible, Henry looks incredible, the suit looks incredible (and I am a trunks fan).

Remember how with SR we were starving for still photos of Routh in the suit. There were so few. Not so with henry and MOS. Though there are still not enough photos for my liking - LOL!

On a side note, Ratner's planned 2006 film would have been a lot cloaser to MOS in style and scope than to SR.
MOS also has another page with over 150k likes. Though for me FB likes is not really much of a factor but for a new franchise like MOS those are great numbers.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #104
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:

Me too a trunks fan. Read my signature. Lol. However we all know that the suit will not make or break the movie.

Getting super hype for MOS. It deserves to be watched by all movie goers.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #105
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Saw the trailer ahead of both IM3 & Star Trek recently. Looks great in IMAX! This is one of the best trailers of recent years and I'm sure it will convince a lot of people who don't know about the film to see it.

Last edited by Iceman; 05-26-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #106
Tobias
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
Me too a trunks fan. Read my signature. Lol. However we all know that the suit will not make or break the movie.

Getting super hype for MOS. It deserves to be watched by all movie goers.
In some of Henry's scenes I think the look is better w/o the trunks. In others it could go the opposite way.

Your prediction is much lower than mine. Only comment is 400 million is what SR made in 2006 and adjusted for ticket prices it would come out to 460 million or so. I have to believe MOS does at least as wll as SR taking in adjustment factors for ticket prices.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #107
Tobias
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
I can't see MOS being number 1 for 2 weeks straight. Because I can't see MU opening to anything less than $70 million, unless all the fans of the first movie just don't care anymore after 12 years but its still a family/kids movie.

So only way for MOS to top that is to have mega opening and I mean approaching $150 million with a good drop. Or break the June record and have ridiculous hold like the first Spider-Man movie, which had weak competition in its 2nd weekend.
True. Tracking range for opening is 80 - 120 million. Taking the middle gives a 100 million opening. A modest drop week 2 would be 54% bringing week 2 to 46 million. Just no way you play with the numbers that MOS doesn't fall to 2 week 2.

Week 3 is interesting. Depp is hot but I don't get the vibe Lone Ranger will be huge. It may allow both MU and MOS to experience a smaller than normal drop that weekend and add to their takes.

Last edited by Tobias; 05-26-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #108
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Trackings (from the only ´´official`` sources) are 125, 125, 135, not 80-120 million. If it's a big breakout and it does actually open to 135 (mtc had it at 135 and that was before the newest trailer) and has a great drop of, say, 45% then anything can happen, depending on how MU performs.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #109
JayJustROTFL
Side-Kick

750m

Old 05-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #110
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
True. Tracking range for opening is 80 - 120 million. Taking the middle gives a 100 million opening. A modest drop week 2 would be 54% bringing week 2 to 46 million. Just no way you play with the numbers that MOS doesn't fall to 2 week 2.

Week 3 is interesting. Depp is hot but I don't get the vibe Lone Ranger will be huge. It may allow both MU and MOS to experience a smaller than normal drop that weekend and add to their takes.
Where did you get the 80-120 number from?

Old 05-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #111
Marvin
Side-Kick

Lone Ranger is in week 3?

Old 05-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #112
Tobias
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
Where did you get the 80-120 number from?
Reading the various movie sites. This number range is a mix of tracking and predictions. Not always sure when a site is just predicting (like Deadline) or not.

125, 135 million are outliers IMO. The FB counts would be higher, much higher.

boxoffice.com seems more reasonable at 108 million and I guess upped to 112 million. Do they give a reason for upping their projection?

Old 05-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #113
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Nope, week 4. Not that it matters. It's going to flop.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #114
Tobias
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
My mistake. Week 4. White House Down week 3. Same argument holds. I am not sure these two films will be huge and if so they may give MU and MOS a chance to have a smaller than normal drop those weekends.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #115
TheOneWhoKnocks
Side-Kick

Facebook likes seem like a terrible indicator. Don't most people add a movie they "like" to their Facebook profile after they see it?

Old 05-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #116
robot
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
Facebook likes seem like a terrible indicator. Don't most people add a movie they "like" to their Facebook profile after they see it?
The 'movie' you like does not correspond to the 'official page'... not all movies have pages created by the studios...

Old 05-26-2013, 11:34 AM   #117
robot
Side-Kick

Quote:
My mistake. Week 4. White House Down week 3. Same argument holds. I am not sure these two films will be huge and if so they may give MU and MOS a chance to have a smaller than normal drop those weekends.
The way I look at it, MU is gonna be HUGE... There's no way MU will open below 70M, and possibly above 100M even...

It'll start to eat into MOS week after week, after week... A lot of families might only go to 1 movie / month or so, and if they have very young kids, they might choose MU... (plus, MOS is rated PG 13)

Old 05-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #118
redp
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
In this case, the total quantity of Facebook likes aren't a helpful indicator. The increase of facebook likes is a "better" indicator. This is not to say that facebook likes are useless. For example, if it currently had 2M likes then it clearly bodes better results. However, it currently has ~700K likes, so not much can be deduced. But, the recent increase in likes during this week suggests a clear response to the marketing. (This should become clearer next week)

Old 05-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #119
Tobias
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by redp View Post
In this case, the total quantity of Facebook likes aren't a helpful indicator. The increase of facebook likes is a "better" indicator. This is not to say that facebook likes are useless. For example, if it currently had 2M likes then it clearly bodes better results. However, it currently has ~700K likes, so not much can be deduced. But, the recent increase in likes during this week suggests a clear response to the marketing. (This should become clearer next week)
Yes. it's an indicator but not an absolute measure. TASM had more than a million likes. If it had 850, 900 or more likes that would bode beter results.

One thing that would get me to increase my modest 550 million WW prediction would be to see the likes move up over 800K - maybe to 850K over these final 3 weeks. I think that would be an indication that maybe something is going on.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #120
GreenKToo
In the fire

The lowest OW projection I have seen from the BO sites ( at least the ones that matter ) is 112 mill.
I've seen 120 mill projections, I have also seen 135 ow projections.
I'm around 110/115. word is that some projections are going up even more.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #121
TheOneWhoKnocks
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by redp View Post
That makes more sense.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #122
Tra-El
Side-Kick

I'd like to stay humble and I'm by NO means a box-office prediction guru. I can only state my opinion on the word of mouth around the internet itself AND the word of mouth around my own community and already I feel this is going to be big at the BO. I say this will be huge. My .2cents.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #123
Pickle-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes. it's an indicator but not an absolute measure. TASM had more than a million likes. If it had 850, 900 or more likes that would bode beter results.

One thing that would get me to increase my modest 550 million WW prediction would be to see the likes move up over 800K - maybe to 850K over these final 3 weeks. I think that would be an indication that maybe something is going on.
You conveniently ignore the 45 million views trailer 2 has. Yes, 45 million. Is that a good measure?

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+steel+trailer

The writing has been on the wall for this movie to have a strong opening since the Christmas trailer. Only IM3 had a higher/similar reaction with its trailers.

FB "likes" has nothing to do with a real indicator like realtime views and social media response. And that's because 1,2, or even 10 million "likes" for Man Of Steel isn't many butts in seats when you add it up.

Attendance for a blockbuster these days domestically is somewhere around 50 million. The avengers had something like 70 million. And that number is a tiny fraction of the 1Billion people on facebook. So you see, FB likes don't matter. The end.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #124
Tobias
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
The lowest OW projection I have seen from the BO sites ( at least the ones that matter ) is 112 mill.
I've seen 120 mill projections, I have also seen 135 ow projections.
I'm around 110/115. word is that some projections are going up even more.
I discount this 120 million and above stuff cause IMO you'd see a much larger FB count. It doesn't quite fit.

The 112 I consider high. I'd like to know why they raised it 4 million. I don't know if that is what you meant by projections going up. I find it hard to believe a 120 or 135 million projection is going up.

But if I see a FB count jump of significance in the next weeks I will up my prediction a bit.

I know it's not just FB, it's views of the trailers too. What you want are all quads to be very high to get a blockbuster - likes, views, tweets and all.

Last edited by Tobias; 05-26-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #125
robot
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle-El View Post
You conveniently ignore the 45 million views trailer 2 has. Yes, 45 million. Is that a good measure?

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+steel+trailer

The writing has been on the wall for this movie to have a strong opening since the Christmas trailer. Only IM3 had a higher/similar reaction with its trailers.

FB "likes" has nothing to do with a real indicator like realtime views and social media response. And that's because 1,2, or even 10 million "likes" for Man Of Steel isn't many butts in seats when you add it up.

Attendance for a blockbuster these days domestically is somewhere around 50 million. The avengers had something like 70 million. And that number is a tiny fraction of the 1Billion people on facebook. So you see, FB likes don't matter. The end.
This makes a lot of sense... looks like FB likes is a fraction of actual viewerships...

That's why it's important for studios to have marketing campaigns outside of social media or even on the internet... for every person you reach online, you can reach 10 offline... billboards does wonders..

Tie-Ins with big brands does too, cause they run tv ads for free and also put up billboards, etc...

Closed Thread