The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers Sequels

Old 07-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #1
Giesteira
Side-Kick

Default Civil War or Infinity Gauntlet?

Everything suggests that Avengers 3 will adapt Infinity Gauntlet, but Kevin Feige had also said he would like to adapt the Civil War in Avengers 3.

So what's your preference?
There are two options:
1 - If only one of the two could be adapted, which would you choose?
2 - If one were to Avengers 3 and another had a "solo film", which would be which?

Giesteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
Blackman
C'mon Son

Default Re: Civil War or Infinity Gauntlet?

Infinity Gauntlet. Civil War doesnt really make sense unless they include Daredevil, Iron Fist, and other secret identity heroes.

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
Giesteira
Side-Kick

But exactly these two will have TV series, and it seems increasingly possible Sony and Marvel make a partnership for Spider-Man. Until Avengers 3 there will be at least the four of Netflix, Strange, and possibly Black Panther. But it is clear that they could also serve very well for Infinity Gauntlet...

Old 07-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
The Endless
WE are Groot

No there won't be Civil War in Avengers 3. They've built up Thanos for a long time, they're not going to not use him. We've already seen the heroes butting heads with each other physically and with their ideals and personalities in the first Avengers.

Plus Civil War is a garbage story.

And how is it increasingly possible Sony and Marvel make a partnership for Spidey? I've never heard this before.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
Giesteira
Side-Kick

Hm, I think Civil War would work well in cinema.

Oh, Sony was prepotent for The Amazing Spider-Man 2, but may back down now that the reception of the film was lukewarm (comparing with all the costs of the film). Moreover, unlike Fox, their relationship with Marvel Studios is very friendly. I think this possibility should not be completely ignored, now that the Spider seems to have lost his place.

But I agree that Infinity Gauntlet is the best option for Avengers 3, considering that Thanos appeared since 2012.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #6
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Infinity Gauntlet.

Civil War is a mess...and I do not imagine it will improve in its translation to the silver screen. I defended it for the longest of time, but has a moment of clarity today, where I finally acknowledged how many problems exist within the narrative. It's not AVX bad, but nonetheless.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #7
Giesteira
Side-Kick

But you believe that much of the problem is due to the large number of characters involved?

Old 07-07-2014, 09:05 AM   #8
The Endless
WE are Groot

The problem with Civil War is that it changes characters to fit the story. Instead of writing a story that naturally incorporates the characters and their histories.

I mean for one example, you have Stark, Reed and Hank creating a clone of Thor to fight their former allies. This is just an unnatural development for those characters.

And the movie-verse versions are pretty different. Stark and Cap might have butted heads in Avengers, but neither of them would side with the government over registration and infringements on peoples rights.

In fact if in the movie-verse the government pushed for super powered beings to register i could see Stark and Rogers being on the same side of the argument, rather than against each other like in the comic book story.

There is so many great Avenger stories that have great potential on the big screen. Civil War, or any event from the last 10 years, aren't worth adapting to the big screen. Apart from Annihilation (but that doesn't feature Avengers) or Planet Hulk/World War Hulk.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #9
fixxxer
Side-Kick

^ Agreed.

There's absolutely zero evidence to back the theory that Marvel Studios is heading down the path towards Civil War. What's Feige going to say when asked about a story arc from the comics?

Is Feige going to say, "Yes, that was absolutely atrocious. Civil War was a thinly veiled criticism of the Patriot Act that lacked nuance and completely sacrificed logic and characterization on the altar of making a broad, silly and obvious point. Heroes like Tony Stark would never side with the Government in such a comically absurd hard-line manner, rendering them idiotic villainous caricatures for the length of said story arc. Marvel's comic division should be ashamed of themselves for putting this out"?

Of course he isn't. Feige's going to nod politely and say that he enjoyed the comic. A direct translation of Civil War would be quite disastrous. Avengers 3 will have absolutely nothing to do with Civil War.

fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #10
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

The best companywide stories they could tap from:

-Siege
-Dark Avengers/Dark Reign
-Original Sin
-Annihilation
-Avengers-Defenders War

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #11
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Overall, I didn't really like either Seige and Dark Reign as a complete piece of work, but both those stories had excellent, "very adaptable" elements to them. An MCU-style reworking of either could work really well.

Annihilation, I absolutely adore. Would love for GOTG to build towards Annihilation and Annihilation: Conquest. If these can be adapted with as little deviation from the source material as possible, I would die a happy man.

I haven't been keeping up with some of the latest stuff. How's Original Sin overall? A brief (or detailed, if someone has the time) description of the story thus far would be much appreciated. Spoiler tags can be used, if required.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #12
Giesteira
Side-Kick

Well, I have to agree with you all ...

As for Dark Reign, I think would fit best in Agents of Shield. And if they decide to go with Thor after the third movie (if it really is an Ragnarök adaptation), Fencing would be a really good idea. The Annihilations would be awesome in cinema o/

By the way, if you think the third movie is the Ragnarök story, will be possible to find a way to put Thor in Avengers 3?

Old 07-09-2014, 05:21 AM   #13
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

10000000000000000000% Infinity Gauntlet. Not saying we can't get Civil War eventually, but WAY too early, and Infinity Gauntlet is clearly what is being built up right now.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:31 AM   #14
Lord
All Mighty

Civil War? Stop trying to force that idea, there's a reason longterm fans hated that storyline, you want these characters that have barely had much interaction to sudenly have to fight each others? In an universe that doesn't even have 10 superheroes or even any vigilante right now...

Also, Tony Stark in the films would never do the same things his comic book counterpart did in that storyline.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:37 AM   #15
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Also, Tony Stark in the films would never do the same things his comic book counterpart did in that storyline.
Even comic book Stark would never do the things he did in Civil War!

Old 07-09-2014, 07:57 AM   #16
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

The Civil War story would need alot of polish before it could become part of MCU.

I think they should mesh the Civil War story with the Secret Invasion story with many pro-registration heroes slowly being unveiled as Skrulls.

And that would require the Fantastic Four rights which could take a decade to return to Marvel.

So yeah, Infinity Gauntlet for Avengers 3 for multiple reasons.

MessiahDecoy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:26 PM   #17
Rorschach2012
$

I like the idea of a Civil War movie, but we need the Infinity Gauntlet in A3 for sure.

Avengers: Loki and Chitauri
Avengers AOU: Ultron and Baron Von Strucker
Avengers 3: THANOS
Avengers 4: Civil War
Avengers 5: Kang

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:38 PM   #18
Figs
Banned User

I was thinking about this recently and I think it would be cool if Avengers 3 wasn't the IG story. Have a different event for the Avengers in the third film and at some point have them meet the Guardians of the Galaxy. I think they should do that and the following year(if they filmed them back to back)release the movie "The Infinity Gauntlet".

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:45 PM   #19
antdogs
Side-Kick

i feel like its too early in the MCU for a Civil war movie.. and no x men or spiderman involved

antdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:41 AM   #20
The Endless
WE are Groot

The X-Men weren't involved with Civil War anyway for some silly contrived reason.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:29 PM   #21
BatVader

Aaaaaand today we officially are getting Civil War.

BatVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:31 PM   #22
Blackman
C'mon Son

where did you get this

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:34 AM   #23
BatVader

I'm not sure how to post a pic off my phone, but I saw a pic that was supposedly official giving titles and release dates for several movies. According to what I saw, Avengers: Civil War is coming July 6, 2018. I'm trying right now to check how legit the info is.

Last edited by BatVader; 07-27-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:54 AM   #24
BatVader

It looks like the info I got was NOT legit. My apologies.

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/article...-comic-con.htm

Old 07-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #25
Victarion
Cut

Could the civil war be caused by the Infinity Gauntlet's existence?

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote