The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #26
SpiceyOnion
Mild Mannered

Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Do you guys think they should keep the 70s/80s hair styles and overall vintage aesthetic of the originals. Or do you think everything should look clean and flashy like the sci-fi films of today, looking more similar to the prequals?

Old 06-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #27
regwec
Shakespearo

There is no particular need to incorporate 1970s fashion anachronisms, but I do think that the tech from the OT has a pleasing aesthetic of its own that should be retained. For instance, robots appear to function on valves and motors rather than on microchips, and it is hard to imagine nanotechnology existing in the Star Wars world. It is a visual repertoire akin to something like Steam Punk. Robo-punk?

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
Old 06-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #28
Octoberist
point blank

Yeah Nanotechnology would ruin the charm of the Star Wars tech.

I don't mind if the characters, especially the men didn't have a super clean look ala Chris Pine's Kirk. Doesn't have to be 70's but I would limit the number 1 fades and texture matte pomades. Though in today's fashion anything goes, so anything 70's-80's-90's is in now fashionable anyway.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #29
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

If there's anything that dates the OT, about the only thing that does is the 70's grooming some of the characters have. Those mustaches and huge sideburns...

Old 06-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #30
Octoberist
point blank

I love Biggs' Hall & Oats style mustache.

Hells yeahs.

Last edited by Octoberist; 06-11-2013 at 02:22 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #31
Bim
Side-Kick

I guess for me it would depend how far into the future they are going, but i dont think styles should remain the same. Some evolution would be nice.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 06-11-2013, 02:30 AM   #32
Octoberist
point blank

http://schmoesknow.com/schmoes-know-...-casting-news/

Take it with a grain of salt:

Quote:
A reliable source (who wishes to remain anonymous) has seen a copy of the alleged casting breakdown that has been (or is about to be) sent out from JJ Abrams. That’s right, this supposedly comes straight from the man himself!

Now, we all know how this works. This could all be bulls***. Or it could be true today but they could change their minds tomorrow. So take all of this with a grain of salt. But, hypothetically, if this is all legit then…well it’s pretty huge. What my source saw includes a basic storyline overview AND gives away two of the main characters to be featured in the film. And, probably, a third supporting character as well. And they were kind enough to cut and paste what they saw and send it my way. Might that be something you’re interested in? Well then, read on!
Quote:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Storyline: Two 17 year old twins, a girl and a boy, are trained by their uncle Luke to be the greatest Jedi’s in the galaxy. Problems arise when the male twin turns to the dark side.

Jaina Solo – Female, 17 years old, lead. – Jacen’s twin sister, one of the greatest Jedi’s in the galaxy, trained by her uncle Luke Skywalker

Jacen Solo – Male, 17 years old, lead – Jaina’s twin brother, one of the greatest Jedi’s in the world. A loner who is constantly struggling with the idea of what’s right and what’s wrong. Starts to turn to the dark side. Full of conviction that what he is doing is the “right thing”. Will eventually become Darth Caedus.
My opinion?

I think the Schmoes aren't trying to deceive anyone, but I think it's a fake. It's not clear if that was a transcript or a parapharsing of the call sheet, but it's loaded with awful grammar. Especially with the use of 'world'. World? What world? And it's a big galaxy so I don't know if that means much compared to the other character (who is the best in the universe).

And isn't 'Jedi' plural just 'Jedi'?

Also:

1.) The EU. While it seems like the third kid (Anakin) may be cut from the story, it feels like an adaptation of what was done in the books. Not to say that this isn't possible and sure, there could be more to the story but this smells so fishy.

2.) The whole arc for Jacen is so so familiar and that's why I never liked it. It's 'ANAKIN' all over again.

And before anyone like 'Smallville Fan' attacks, I don't hate the EU. I just don't think it will be truly adapted. Here, it sounds like the EU is a strong influences and that's why I think it's a fake.

I would eat crow if it's real, but it doesn't feel real at all. It's like how Alex Billington of First Showings dot com, a great website, mentioned that his reliable source saw a casting call for 'E. Nygma' for The Dark Knight Rises.

Last edited by Octoberist; 06-11-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:41 AM   #33
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I'll eat crow if it's real, too, but I doubt it. It's like a close adaptation of Legacy of the Force... a critically panned ennealogy of books (and for good reason).

Old 06-11-2013, 02:45 AM   #34
Spideyfan93
Hayley Atwell I love you!

As someone who knows the Schmoes well enough, they wouldn't lie about this type of thing. Wouldn't doubt the legitimacy.

And this would be cool news to me. Definitely welcome the idea of the Solo twins and this "WARRIOR(2011)" story. It could make for some compelling emotional story components.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 06-11-2013, 02:48 AM   #35
Octoberist
point blank

Again, it depends on how they told it. We've had the story of the 'fallen angel' before. It just doesn't sound compelling to me. And please, anyone out there...please don't bring up the 'circular' thing, as it is becoming a cliche as an argument amongst geeks, slowly becoming meaningless.

I'm down for anything and like what I said, I don't think the Schmoes are here to deceive anyone, but I just don't buy it. It's not them but perhaps their source so it's not a personal thing.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:55 AM   #36
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideyfan93 View Post
As someone who knows the Schmoes well enough, they wouldn't lie about this type of thing. Wouldn't doubt the legitimacy.
It's not about lying, though. Maybe their info was simply false.

Either way, we'll see.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:56 AM   #37
Octoberist
point blank

You're right, Gianakin. There's a difference between that and straight-up lying.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:00 AM   #38
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

It's just like you said.

Having said that, there HAVE been alleged reports about a Sequel Trilogy where Lucas trains his son and the latter falls to the dark side. If the trilogy is not ALL About that, I don't mind. But I don't want the Prequels again.

And the fact that it seems to be taken from some of the worst EU books ever... I don't know.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:05 AM   #39
Octoberist
point blank

That, and JJ Abrams, Lucas, Kinberg, and Kasdan have been passively dismissive of the EU. Abrams and Kinberg talking about 'finding and discovering the story collectively like how it was back in 77-83. Not knowing what will happen next, etc'. They hammered that point home several times.

Loosely adapting 'Legacy of the Force' would contradict all of that.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:10 AM   #40
Octoberist
point blank

Now the only (vague) evidence that JJ may use some elements of the EU came from his recent comments from a conference:

Quote:
“'No comment,' replied Abrams with a smile on his face to a question from [filmmaker-moderator Reginald] Hudlin if the new Star Wars movies would be based partially on the dozens of novels that have come out over the years bridging various unexplored aspects of the films’ characters."
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/...star-wars-past

But it's so cryptic that it may not mean anything.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #41
Solouk
Side-Kick

Yeah see I didnt get what he was trying to say with the 'honouring but not revering' quote? I mean they're both synonyms. Shrug.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #42
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
http://schmoesknow.com/schmoes-know-...-casting-news/

Take it with a grain of salt:

My opinion?

I think the Schmoes aren't trying to deceive anyone, but I think it's a fake. It's not clear if that was a transcript or a parapharsing of the call sheet, but it's loaded with awful grammar. Especially with the use of 'world'. World? What world? And it's a big galaxy so I don't know if that means much compared to the other character (who is the best in the universe).

And isn't 'Jedi' plural just 'Jedi'?

Also:

1.) The EU. While it seems like the third kid (Anakin) may be cut from the story, it feels like an adaptation of what was done in the books. Not to say that this isn't possible and sure, there could be more to the story but this smells so fishy.

2.) The whole arc for Jacen is so so familiar and that's why I never liked it. It's 'ANAKIN' all over again.

And before anyone like 'Smallville Fan' attacks, I don't hate the EU. I just don't think it will be truly adapted. Here, it sounds like the EU is a strong influences and that's why I think it's a fake.

I would eat crow if it's real, but it doesn't feel real at all. It's like how Alex Billington of First Showings dot com, a great website, mentioned that his reliable source saw a casting call for 'E. Nygma' for The Dark Knight Rises.
Yeah..... a small part of me thinks this is true given Abrams' tendency to lie about characters/storylines (i.e. John Harrison being Khan in "Into Darkness"). However, I have a very hard time believing the idea they'd just cop out and base it completely on that part of the EU rather than creating an original story and MAYBE use characters from the books, videogames (like "I'm tied to everything" Starkiller) or from tv shows (like Ahsoka).

With a rebel yell she cried mo mo moa
mo mo moa
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 06-11-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #43
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

I really hope that isn't true.

Free Original Music
Old 06-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #44
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

No.

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Old 06-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #45
Bim
Side-Kick

IF that's true, i hope the execution of it pulls me in. It just seems like "been there, done that", and i kinda want to be surprised here. But i'm keeping an open mind, and will see what happens.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 06-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #46
georgec
Not a hero

Seems fake to me.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #47
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

I wouldn't mind EU characters introduced prior to the Original Trilogy popping up, but to have any from AFTER that just adds to much predictability if they are used as they were originally, like this report says Jaina and Jacen will.

With a rebel yell she cried mo mo moa
mo mo moa
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
Old 06-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #48
Fives
Side-Kick

If that does turn out to be true, I'm not sure if I'd like it. It could be good if done right, but then it'd also kind of be like retreading the Anakin story.

I'd still like the new SW story to be pretty all original, with maybe some familiar elements mixed in as well.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #49
Solouk
Side-Kick

I think its fairly safe to say that's crap. Obviously from someone who has wet dreams over the EU. And where would the surprise be in that story? Even a casual fan (who knows nothing of the EU) with half a brain could see where that storyline would end up going. Oh my money's on the moody kid who seems confused turning to the darkside. Move along..move along..

Old 06-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #50
Asteroid-Man
Ham Sammiches

Here's the video on the Schmoes report:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEa5m1nwOnM

Ke tokhme sokhan ra parakandeam.
Posting Since 09/24/05 10:30 am
Closed Thread