Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Smallville_fan is gonna have a field day with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Graves View Post
Thank God for that

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Old 06-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #53
Octoberist
point blank

With that article, I believe it due to Drew. Keep in mind that Drew (of Hitfix) was the one who leaked out info on "Cloverfield" and "Star Trek". He knows a lot, and out of respect for Abrams, he's not going to spoil Star Wars 7. In other words, he knows what's he talking about:

Quote:
When JJ Abrams was planning "Cloverfield" with Matt Reeves and Drew Goddard, they had the bold idea to shoot a top secret teaser trailer for the film before they even started production on the film. The plan was to release it in front of "Transformers" without anyone knowing what it was. Unfortunately, I broke the story as they were shooting the trailer, and I wrote about the overall plan before they could get the trailer into theaters.

When Abrams was gearing up on the first "Star Trek," I ran a story about how the new film looked to be using time travel as a way to reboot the series in a brand-new timeline, and that it looked like Old Spock would be the one bridge between the two versions. This was early enough in the process that Abrams ended up calling me to ask me to please be careful about how much more I would reveal.

It was a fair call to make. As Abrams has explained recently lately, one of the reasons he has become so heavily invested in locking down the details of what he's working on is because of the experience he had on the version of "Superman" that he wrote for director McG. And who was the one who broke that story? Yep. Me.

This is my way of saying that I am 100% sure that the rumor that's online today about the casting breakdown for "Star Wars Episode VII" is false. It's not slightly off-base. It's not tentative. It's fiction. That is not a breakdown for the Abrams film at all. That has nothing to do with the film that Michael Arndt is currently writing. If you're excited that they're adapting Jacen and Jaina Solo for the new movie, I'd advise you to relax, because it's not happening.

More than that, I hope fandom isn't holding their breath for an adaptation of the EU novels at all. I've seen people making wish lists about who will play Admiral Thrawn or Mara Jade, and I hope they understand that the odds of seeing those characters adapted as part of the actual storyline in "Episode VII," "Episode VIII" or "Episode IX" are between none and none.

First, let's look at how today's story supposedly leaked. The site that originated the rumor (I'm not linking to them because I find their naked attempt at generating traffic with a lie really gross) ran what they claim is part of a casting breakdown for the two Solo kids. Abrams is well aware that casting breakdowns are a source of many leaks, particularly when they are sent to agencies, and he has not sent out actual character breakdowns for quite a while now. And in particular, he's not about to send out a breakdown that would give away the entire narrative focus of the new trilogy.

More importantly, though, the process that is underway with Michael Arndt writing the film involves a number of other voices all thinking about how to further expand the universe of the movies. Simon Kinberg, Lawrence Kasdan, and voices you aren't even aware of yet are all contributing to the conversation, and they are not sitting there as a group taking notes on stories that were told in book form. They did not walk into the situation handcuffed to the idea of just adapting something. The people that have signed on have signed on so that they can take advantage of the freedom of a wide-open universe, and they are working to build something that you don't expect, something that does something new.

I'm being careful here because I don't want to make the same mistakes I've made in the past, dropping casual revelations of information that would spoil things early. And while I'm not going to tell you my sources, my track record with both Abrams films and "Star Wars" films more than speaks for itself. I can just tell you that they hired people to dream big, and this rumor is about as far from "dreaming big" as you can get. This rumor is 100% fabricated, and when 2015 rolls around, you'll get an idea of just how completely they're leaving the already-existent books behind.

You want to know something cool and genuine about the new film? Work on the major set pieces has already begun at ILM, and this is going to end up being the most elaborate physical build they've done for the effects team since "Return Of The Jedi," something I look forward to discussing with John Knoll when I see him at the "Pacific Rim" press day.

Don't believe this Jaina and Jacen hogwash. At all.
Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/motion-capture...yVlBduAbqBy.99

And it looks like they already have set up some awesome set pieces.

Last edited by Octoberist; 06-11-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #54
Octoberist
point blank

Not to bait but this is for Smallville Fan. I couldn't help it.
Quote:
More importantly, though, the process that is underway with Michael Arndt writing the film involves a number of other voices all thinking about how to further expand the universe of the movies. Simon Kinberg, Lawrence Kasdan, and voices you aren't even aware of yet are all contributing to the conversation, and they are not sitting there as a group taking notes on stories that were told in book form.They did not walk into the situation handcuffed to the idea of just adapting something. The people that have signed on have signed on so that they can take advantage of the freedom of a wide-open universe, and they are working to build something that you don't expect, something that does something new.

I'm being careful here because I don't want to make the same mistakes I've made in the past, dropping casual revelations of information that would spoil things early. And while I'm not going to tell you my sources, my track record with both Abrams films and "Star Wars" films more than speaks for itself. I can just tell you that they hired people to dream big, and this rumor is about as far from "dreaming big" as you can get. This rumor is 100% fabricated, and when 2015 rolls around, you'll get an idea of just how completely they're leaving the already-existent books behind.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #55
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
With that article, I believe it due to Drew. Keep in mind that Drew (of Hitfix) was the one who leaked out info on "Cloverfield" and "Star Trek". He knows a lot, and out of respect for Abrams, he's not going to spoil Star Wars 7. In other words, he knows what's he talking about:
While I agree its bologna, McWeeney is the same guy who said Goyer wasn't writing Man of Steel and Khan wasn't the Star Trek Into Darkness villain... "because J.J. Abrams had never lied to him before."

Old 06-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #56
Octoberist
point blank

That's true too. Though I think with the Star Wars thing, he's in the right. Then again, it's so damn obvious too.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:22 PM   #57
georgec
Not a hero

Physical sets, eh? I like the sound of that.

That's the thing about TPM - they filmed much of it on location and in sets they built. It felt more like a SW movie even if it had major flaws. But AOTC and ROTS leaned more heavily on greenscreens and it showed.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #58
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
Physical sets, eh? I like the sound of that.

That's the thing about TPM - they filmed much of it on location and in sets they built. It felt more like a SW movie even if it had major flaws. But AOTC and ROTS leaned more heavily on greenscreens and it showed.
In many ways, you can skip out on TPM, but out of the flawed prequels, TPM was the most beautiful. I'll give them that.

Man, I watch Episode 3 on Spike the other day. It's not aging well. Well to me it's not.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #59
Parker Wayne
IT Boy!

I think it's BS. Even the character bios aren't consistent. Jaina is the "Best is the galaxy" while Jacen is "best in the world"?

It's not true, and I just don't see them wasting idea of building a new world and a new film mythology by making 2 EU characters main characters.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #60
Octoberist
point blank

Like what I said before, what 'world'? And boy, this Jacen must suck since he's only good planet-wise. His sister is the galaxy's best.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #61
Fives
Side-Kick

I'm pretty glad that it's not a true story. I think I much prefer them to go on, and create their own story. I think the movie will benefit from being more of an original story, and not an adaption of another story.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #62
Octoberist
point blank

I think everyone's just hungry for some news. I wouldn't be surprised though if we heard SOMETHING by the end of the Summer, be it at Comic Con or Star Wars Celebration.

Especially for the lead role that may require a few months of prep time and training.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #63
Fives
Side-Kick

Yeah I expect at least some kind of news, be it casting or otherwise from one of the summer conventions. If we don't get any news out of SW Celebration I'll be pretty disappointed lol.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #64
Carnotaur3
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
While I agree its bologna, McWeeney is the same guy who said Goyer wasn't writing Man of Steel and Khan wasn't the Star Trek Into Darkness villain... "because J.J. Abrams had never lied to him before."
He doesn't make it seem like his sources in this case have to do with JJ.

http://www.vimeo.com/13170472
Old 06-12-2013, 12:47 AM   #65
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Well, that settles that.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #66
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I think everyone's just hungry for some news. I wouldn't be surprised though if we heard SOMETHING by the end of the Summer, be it at Comic Con or Star Wars Celebration.
I'm guessing Celebration will be it in terms of the next big announcement.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 06-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #67
Batspider77
"SPOILER JUNKIE"

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/...ced_152558.asp

I never liked Chiangs Star Wars work...
Hes Concepts just dont fit Star Wars...i want the dirty used look back Mcquarrie created.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #68
Octoberist
point blank

To be fair Doug was probably designing what Lucas wanted with the first two prequels: Clean. I'm sure this one around, Abrams wants a more OT with a new twist. But yes, what I do like about the OT designs were the industrial look. All the guts showing on the surface, kinda clunky, weary from war. Looks like they were built in a factor in masses.

Also iain Ccraig is extremely talented and could bring balance to Doug's aquired designs.

Last edited by Octoberist; 06-16-2013 at 02:23 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #69
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Glad to know some set pieces are already being built. It's exciting. And I think if there is going to be any announcements, it will be at the Celebration. Didn't Anthony Daniels say Kennedy was going to be there in person? Also with the announcement of these guys returning and being at the Celebration, there seems to be a possibility that something will happen.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher. To break barriers... to reach for the stars... to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we're still pioneers... that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us. That our destiny lies above us."
Old 06-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #70
Octoberist
point blank

Looks like Kennedy will be there and will be bringing in people from the new movies. With Doug Chaig and Ian McCraig (the art concept designers), both were announced for Celebration, handpicked by Kennedy for the new Star Wars films.

I wouldn't be surprised if they announced 'surprise guests' soon.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:26 AM   #71
Octoberist
point blank

I almost forgot: Because of the news of the return of the prequel concept artists (keep in mind, they were only told what to do with the prequels. ie shiny and clean), that means that we may not need the overly-used and often generic Nevelle Page*! Yah!

*I like his humanoid designs for Star Trek, but I hate his big creature-alien designs overall (Avatar, Super 8)

Old 06-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #72
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Actually I love a lot of the artwork for the PT. The execution may have been another story, and the direction he wanted to go may not have been as OT as we may have wanted. But I will give credit to their creature designs, environments ect ect. I actually am very happy for the news, we should get some great design from them. Especially with what direction they want to go now.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:35 AM   #73
Octoberist
point blank

You're right. The actual concept art for the Prequels are remarkably beautiful.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #74
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

JJ talks a bit about Episode VII

http://www.contactmusic.com/news/j-j...r-wars_3721042

Quote:
J.J. Abrams wanted Michael Arndt before Star Wars
J.J. Abrams has always wanted to work with 'Star Wars: Episode VII' screenwriter Michael Arndt.
The director of the forthcoming sci-fi filmthinks very highly of the scribe, who is currently busy penning the script, and was trying to make a collaboration happen for months before realising Michael was secretly on board his next big project.
He told French newspaper Metro News: ''It's funny because I have admired the screenwriter Michael Arndt since 'Little Miss Sunshine'.
''And these last few months I've been suggesting he work with me and he kept saying, 'I can't, I'm already working on something'. And then one morning I read that he was doing 'Star Wars' and I finally got it.''
The 46-year-old super-producer was careful not to give too much away about the hotly-anticipated film's plot, but revealed there will be a central love story.
Quizzed about the possibility of on-screen romance, he said: ''No doubt, even if I already know I want to approach this project in a different way ... We're only in the initial stages [of making the film] and it's difficult to talk about it other than to say it's very exciting.''
The movie - which is expected to be released in 2015 - will be the first new entry in the series since the prequels, which ended with 2005's 'Revenge of the Sith'.
Interesting tidbits, about a love story, and more importantly that he wants to approach it in a different way.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #75
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

You mean not in the way of overwrought melodrama, like the prequels? Please do, JJ.

Closed Thread