The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #976
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator
 
FilmNerdJamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the Moon, New York City & your sister
Posts: 8,159
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Put it this way. Fox swore up and down Avatar 2 was hitting Christmas 2015. Common sense said otherwise despite the constant claims to the contrary (and of course fan community blindly bought it). They finally faced reality.

Same thing with Disney and Episode VII for Summer 2015.

__________________
FilmNerdJamie is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #977
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!
 
ThePowerCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: HYDRA
Posts: 17,488
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Never understood the hope that Avatar 2 would make 2015...

__________________
2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Star Wars: Episode VII, Ant-Man, Daredevil, Fantastic Four

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #978
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 15,643
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
It's a feeling, based on what's transpired since late last year

1) Disney acquired LucasFilm and the first things they did were shut down a popular Star Wars show and cancel a highly anticipated Star Wars game



2) Announced not one, but a new trilogy of films along with spin offs. Possibly putting out one Star Wars movie PER YEAR

3) After the announcement of the Ep 7 writer/director there's been complete silence on the news front regarding the project's forward motion. Williams coming back is great, but that wasn't even covered by most outlets.

4) Skipping the three relevant events that people worldwide expected an inkling of news from

5) Announcing new cartoons, games and toys by the boatload, while reneging on any films stuff.

6) Putting the first movie on the docket for a summer 2015 release even though that block is chock full already. Like they NEED to get it out due to some unforseen factor.

Of course Disney wants to optimize their SW output. That's why they bought the property. But it's not like people are unanimously anticipating a new SW movie. It's not like most people like that Disney is handling the franchise now. They need to put a little bit of effort into showing people they know what they're doing OUTSIDE of a money perspective. So far they haven't. So far they've shown that they are very, very out of touch with what people want.

It's not immediate "doom and gloom" because of one failed marketing attempt. It's a progression of quizzical behavior that is making me, as a fan and member of the entertainment news community, start to question whether this brand is in the right hands.
Uhhh ya but they hired the same people and are making a new one. The main reason was because of the moving it over to Disney would have created more problems ect. That and 1313....was a tech demo. Even the people at Lucas Arts clearly said, it was not in production fully and was failing miserably. Then they made up for it by having three of the best devs out there making Star Wars games. Dice (best FPS online makers out there). Bioware (best RPG makers out there) And Visceral (a very good third person shooter team) making Star Wars games. Lucas Arts was pure failure for the past 12 years, ever since Tim's departure and many others like Chin Lucas Arts has been crap. What Disney did was the best thing ever. Lucas Arts has made nothing but garbage for the past 12 years (unless they license it out) which they are doing again. Their internal team sucks and has for years. So they got rid of it.

Ya but the (per year thing) has not been confirmed as of yet. And I doubt it. As long as they keep up the quality who cares. Marvel is doing well with it. I'm sure they can with Star Wars as well.

As for the rest yes they need to push it a little more. But a part of me wonders if we always expect so much these days. There was a lot of quiet times for the PT when it was announced (95) to getting any news which was around '97. And really the news did not start until a year before. But yes I understand the frustration and they do need to work on it.

But in terms all of the moves they have done have been smart. I loved TCW but it needed to go, because they are (I think rightfully so) getting rid of the PT image that many did not like and focusing on a more OT kinda look. That was the main reason of that. It's an image thing and long term same with canceling the 3D films of the PT. (another good move).

Actually in terms of creative"ness" they have done nothing but good. The people they've hired the things they've let go (Lucas Arts was pure garbage and nothing like it's old glory days of the 90's.

So no, most seemed pretty happy but when a piece of bad news comes or lack of it, people just go to doom and gloom. I've been very happy with everything they've done so far.

This is the first time I've been somewhat disappointed.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #979
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A world I long to see.
Posts: 21,134
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Not even having a theme park announcement is killing me too. They have a whole section of the Hollywood Studios park that's practically got tumbleweeds rolling down the street, and both SW and park fans have been begging for a Star Wars land that's comparable to the Harry Potter land at Universal.

They got their asses handed to them when the Harry Potter stuff opened, it's been rumored that the SW land was coming...how was that not announced?? They had a convention hall filled with Disney Vacation Club owners wanting to spend so much money at this, how could they not give them anything?

Universal opened that Harry Potter section three years ago. With the money they're making, they've opened a Despicable Me ride, a Transformers ride, they're building a Simpsons section, and they're expanding the Harry Potter section with a Diagon Alley, a Gingotts roller coaster, and a Hogwarts Express that goes between the two parks.

In that same time, Disney opened a Beauty & the Beast restaurant.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is online now  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #980
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.
 
MrMaooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 14,216
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Never understood the hope that Avatar 2 would make 2015...
If there's one release date rumor that I never got why people believed, it would be MOS2 coming out in 2014.

__________________
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen."
MrMaooz is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #981
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 15,643
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Put it this way. Fox swore up and down Avatar 2 was hitting Christmas 2015. Common sense said otherwise despite the constant claims to the contrary (and of course fan community blindly bought it). They finally faced reality.

Same thing with Disney and Episode VII for Summer 2015.
Ya but they also swore it was coming out like in 2011 or 2012. That to me is just no surprise because it's Cameron, who is Mr. Delay these days.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #982
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!
 
ThePowerCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: HYDRA
Posts: 17,488
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Not even having a theme park announcement is killing me too. They have a whole section of the Hollywood Studios park that's practically got tumbleweeds rolling down the street, and both SW and park fans have been begging for a Star Wars land that's comparable to the Harry Potter land at Universal.

They got their asses handed to them when the Harry Potter stuff opened, it's been rumored that the SW land was coming...how was that not announced?? They had a convention hall filled with Disney Vacation Club owners wanting to spend so much money at this, how could they not give them anything?

Universal opened that Harry Potter section three years ago. With the money they're making, they've opened a Despicable Me ride, a Transformers ride, they're building a Simpsons section, and they're expanding the Harry Potter section with a Diagon Alley, a Gingotts roller coaster, and a Hogwarts Express that goes between the two parks.

In that same time, Disney opened a Beauty & the Beast restaurant.
"Be our guest."
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
If there's one release date rumor that I never got why people believed, it would be MOS2 coming out in 2014.
Oh yeah, forgot about that one.

__________________
2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Star Wars: Episode VII, Ant-Man, Daredevil, Fantastic Four

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #983
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator
 
FilmNerdJamie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the Moon, New York City & your sister
Posts: 8,159
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Ya but they also swore it was coming out like in 2011 or 2012. That to me is just no surprise because it's Cameron, who is Mr. Delay these days.
Cameron didn't do that. That was all Fox.

__________________
FilmNerdJamie is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #984
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 15,643
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Not even having a theme park announcement is killing me too. They have a whole section of the Hollywood Studios park that's practically got tumbleweeds rolling down the street, and both SW and park fans have been begging for a Star Wars land that's comparable to the Harry Potter land at Universal.

They got their asses handed to them when the Harry Potter stuff opened, it's been rumored that the SW land was coming...how was that not announced?? They had a convention hall filled with Disney Vacation Club owners wanting to spend so much money at this, how could they not give them anything?

Universal opened that Harry Potter section three years ago. With the money they're making, they've opened a Despicable Me ride, a Transformers ride, they're building a Simpsons section, and they're expanding the Harry Potter section with a Diagon Alley, a Gingotts roller coaster, and a Hogwarts Express that goes between the two parks.

In that same time, Disney opened a Beauty & the Beast restaurant.
The theme park stuff is tomorrow.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #985
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!
 
ThePowerCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: HYDRA
Posts: 17,488
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Hmm... just like this is all Disney.

__________________
2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Star Wars: Episode VII, Ant-Man, Daredevil, Fantastic Four

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #986
georgec
Not a hero
 
georgec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Belize
Posts: 3,204
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Unless I haven't been paying enough attention it does seem like Disney has done extremely little with SW thus far.

Maybe they have a good reason.

__________________
Superman with Batman - Whatever It Is... - Countdown until midnight release on May 6, 2016

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #987
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 15,643
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Cameron didn't do that. That was all Fox.
Well whatever the fact remains they jumped around dates for years on that. I might even be shocked if it comes out in 2016.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:22 PM   #988
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,351
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Not even having a theme park announcement is killing me too. They have a whole section of the Hollywood Studios park that's practically got tumbleweeds rolling down the street, and both SW and park fans have been begging for a Star Wars land that's comparable to the Harry Potter land at Universal.

They got their asses handed to them when the Harry Potter stuff opened, it's been rumored that the SW land was coming...how was that not announced?? They had a convention hall filled with Disney Vacation Club owners wanting to spend so much money at this, how could they not give them anything?

Universal opened that Harry Potter section three years ago. With the money they're making, they've opened a Despicable Me ride, a Transformers ride, they're building a Simpsons section, and they're expanding the Harry Potter section with a Diagon Alley, a Gingotts roller coaster, and a Hogwarts Express that goes between the two parks.

In that same time, Disney opened a Beauty & the Beast restaurant.
Exactly. The cash grab feeling I'm getting isn't just from a solitary film, it's from their perceived outlook of the brand.

Comes down to this, when I heard "Disney is buying LucasFilm" my first reaction was along the lines of "Oh my god, they are going to pour so much money into this. There's going to be Star Wars everything, everywhere." And what it's starting to feel like is they bought the property because they see the potential but don't really know what to do with it. Almost like an impulse buy for an expensive suit that you don't know where you'll eventually wear it to, you just want to have it in case.

__________________
Retcon - the alteration of previously established facts in the continuity of a fictional work



Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps

2014 Reviews: JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT [★Ĺ☆☆] / THE LEGO MOVIE [★★★★] / ROBOCOP [★★☆☆]
Poni_Boy is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #989
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A world I long to see.
Posts: 21,134
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Bingo. That's like saying a Batman, Superman, Spider-Man or Star Trek movie doesn't have to worry about competition. They all do, especially nowadays when people know you can get burned.
The only time I ever saw Star Wars not have to worry about competition was the opening day for Return of the Jedi. We were on a line that wrapped around a shopping center, but the theater employees walked up and down the line to make sure no one was waiting for a showing of Blue Thunder that was about to start.

The guy behind us yelled, "Oh, go back inside!!"

No one was there to see Blue Thunder.

Star Wars has got a crapload of competition in 2015...they're kidding themselves if they think its going to make a billion dollars just on name recognition. Not when it'll be ten years since the last film.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is online now  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #990
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 15,643
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Exactly. The cash grab feeling I'm getting isn't just from a solitary film, it's from their perceived outlook of the brand.

Comes down to this, when I heard "Disney is buying LucasFilm" my first reaction was along the lines of "Oh my god, they are going to pour so much money into this. There's going to be Star Wars everything, everywhere." And what it's starting to feel like is they bought the property because they see the potential but don't really know what to do with it. Almost like an impulse buy for an expensive suit that you don't know where you'll eventually wear it to, you just want to have it in case.


It was not an overnight thing. You do know they bought Marvel/Pixar as well which are just as huge property/film makers. I think they know how to plan it.

I seem to remember Star Wars being everywhere when the PT came out too. I think anyone that would buy it would put it everywhere because Star Wars lends itself to everything. It has since the beginning.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #991
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!
 
ThePowerCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: HYDRA
Posts: 17,488
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

I know one thing... they better pump this baby out for 2015, or I'm gonna have to choke a b**ch. I don't care how under-developed it is. Rip this movie right out of the bloody uterus and slap it into theaters.

__________________
2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Star Wars: Episode VII, Ant-Man, Daredevil, Fantastic Four

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #992
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,351
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post


It was not an overnight thing. You do know they bought Marvel/Pixar as well which are just as huge property/film makers. I think they know how to plan it.
Of course it wasn't an overnight thing. But just because you buy something doesn't mean you know what to do with it. So far Disney hasn't shown me evidence that they know what to do with Star Wars as a brand.

And, yes, as far as umbrella corporations in the ent business goes Disney is the best at buying successful companies to further their portfolio. But the steady decline of originality at Pixar as well as what's currently going on at Disney Animation/DisneyToons furthers my belief they want cookie cutter franchise entertainment instead of quality, creative stuff. Marvel Studios' deal with them is unique because they retained Kevin Feige and he has creative control over the properties. Lucasfilm/SW doesn't have that.

Unless you have unwavering blind fandom of Disney or Star Wars there are very valid criticisms that should be examined

__________________
Retcon - the alteration of previously established facts in the continuity of a fictional work



Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps

2014 Reviews: JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT [★Ĺ☆☆] / THE LEGO MOVIE [★★★★] / ROBOCOP [★★☆☆]
Poni_Boy is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #993
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A world I long to see.
Posts: 21,134
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Exactly. The cash grab feeling I'm getting isn't just from a solitary film, it's from their perceived outlook of the brand.

Comes down to this, when I heard "Disney is buying LucasFilm" my first reaction was along the lines of "Oh my god, they are going to pour so much money into this. There's going to be Star Wars everything, everywhere." And what it's starting to feel like is they bought the property because they see the potential but don't really know what to do with it. Almost like an impulse buy for an expensive suit that you don't know where you'll eventually wear it to, you just want to have it in case.
When I first read it, I thought it was an Onion headline. Could not believe it.

I had faith because of how well they were doing with Marvel. But here we are almost a year later, and the most-talked about news I've seen are all of the stuff they've cancelled and how many Lucasfilm employees that they've laid off. The announcements about the movies are few and far between.

I almost feel like they should have even waited on announcing any new movies until they'd integrated what they wanted out of Lucasfilm into their own company. It's been more bad press than good so far.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is online now  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #994
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,351
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
Star Wars has got a crapload of competition in 2015...they're kidding themselves if they think its going to make a billion dollars just on name recognition. Not when it'll be ten years since the last film.
As of right now the big franchises opening in the summer of 2015 are Avengers 2, Assassin's Creed, Terminator 5, Pirates 5 and Superman/Batman. That's not counting animated films or medium level live-action. There's A LOT of competition that summer.

__________________
Retcon - the alteration of previously established facts in the continuity of a fictional work



Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps

2014 Reviews: JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT [★Ĺ☆☆] / THE LEGO MOVIE [★★★★] / ROBOCOP [★★☆☆]
Poni_Boy is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #995
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,351
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
It's been more bad press than good so far.
Yup. Lots more bad/quizzical press than good. And nowadays "all press is good press" doesn't work. That's an archaic stigma. One of the guys I know who works in Disney's PR department literally told me "Star Wars sells itself" a few months ago. If they really feel that way and utilize a marketing strategy along those lines then they're in trouble

__________________
Retcon - the alteration of previously established facts in the continuity of a fictional work



Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps

2014 Reviews: JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT [★Ĺ☆☆] / THE LEGO MOVIE [★★★★] / ROBOCOP [★★☆☆]
Poni_Boy is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #996
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 15,643
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Of course it wasn't an overnight thing. But just because you buy something doesn't mean you know what to do with it. So far Disney hasn't shown me evidence that they know what to do with Star Wars as a brand.

And, yes, as far as umbrella corporations in the ent business goes Disney is the best at buying successful companies to further their portfolio. But the steady decline of originality at Pixar as well as what's currently going on at Disney Animation/DisneyToons furthers my belief they want cookie cutter franchise entertainment instead of quality, creative stuff. Marvel Studios' deal with them is unique because they retained Kevin Feige and he has creative control over the properties. Lucasfilm/SW doesn't have that.

Unless you have unwavering blind fandom of Disney or Star Wars there are very valid criticisms that should be examined
Neither. The Prequels were terrible to me. I don't really care for a lot of kid -Disney stuff at all.

As a hardcore gamer Lucas Arts was pure crap for 12 years. And most gamers agreed, the sales of their games/quality was terrible (in house games). 1313 was not even a game just a tech demo later which they admitted to. Disney was very smart and did what they should have done all along by letting other devs like they did with KOTOR ect take control and become pure licensees again. Because their in house team was nothing anymore.

And Kathy Kennedy is not some new comer, hiring her was extremely smart, all the people they have hired for the creative aspect (including Alan Horn) which WB can thank for all their success and now with out him keep going down further into despair.

Having Disney walk away from the prequels (including TCW) is all smart to me.

So honestly everything they have done prior has been nothing but pure great news. The only thing that upset me is they are not doing too much. But the videos they have done have been great ect.

BTW There is no Terminator 5. It's a reboot.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #997
MagnarTheGreat
Searching with Jade
 
MagnarTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hyllis
Posts: 4,312
Awesome Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Johnny Depp to play the new wacky character like Jar Jar and C3PO in the new movie! Disney just loves that!

Needed a silly way to bookend this downer of a thread!

MagnarTheGreat is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #998
Poni_Boy
Giggedy
 
Poni_Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 6,351
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Neither. The Prequels were terrible to me. I don't really care for a lot of kid -Disney stuff at all.

As a hardcore gamer Lucas Arts was pure crap for 12 years. And most gamers agreed, the sales of their games/quality was terrible (in house games). 1313 was not even a game just a tech demo later which they admitted to. Disney was very smart and did what they should have done all along by letting other devs like they did with KOTOR ect take control and become pure licensees again. Because their in house team was nothing anymore.

And Kathy Kennedy is not some new comer, hiring her was extremely smart, all the people they have hired for the creative aspect (including Alan Horn) which WB can thank for all their success and now with out him keep going down further into despair.

Having Disney walk away from the prequels (including TCW) is all smart to me.

So honestly everything they have done prior has been nothing but pure great news. The only thing that upset me is they are not doing too much. But the videos they have done have been great ect.

BTW There is no Terminator 5. It's a reboot.
Like I said, I'm not talking about you I'm talking about me. You asked why I am starting to feel the cash grab thing and those are my reasons. I love Kennedy and Abrams and championed the hopefulness of their coming on board. But intent and action are two different things. So far their action has been a split between hesitantly positive and shockingly negative. Disney still needs to prove to me that they know what they're doing outside of making a quick buck by acting on good ideas.

And yes I know Terminator 5 will be a reboot but as of right now on Paramount's production program it's called Terminator 5/[YTBT] Terminator reboot. No matter how you slice it it's still the fifth installment of the franchise.

__________________
Retcon - the alteration of previously established facts in the continuity of a fictional work



Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps

2014 Reviews: JACK RYAN: SHADOW RECRUIT [★Ĺ☆☆] / THE LEGO MOVIE [★★★★] / ROBOCOP [★★☆☆]
Poni_Boy is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #999
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 15,643
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
When I first read it, I thought it was an Onion headline. Could not believe it.

I had faith because of how well they were doing with Marvel. But here we are almost a year later, and the most-talked about news I've seen are all of the stuff they've cancelled and how many Lucasfilm employees that they've laid off. The announcements about the movies are few and far between.

I almost feel like they should have even waited on announcing any new movies until they'd integrated what they wanted out of Lucasfilm into their own company. It's been more bad press than good so far.
But Lucas Arts was a terrible company. Getting rid of them was necessary. you don't just keep employees around because it's the nice thing to do. Sometimes to make a company better that's what you gotta do. They canceled TCW but came back with a great looking show made by the same people "Rebels".

I'm sorry I just think some are forgetting the creative talent they've hired, and how a lot of this can happen. Lucasfilm was a dusty old company that Lucas was just dragging along for the past 8 years. To bring it into full production type stuff again it was going to require some transition.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline  
Old 08-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #1000
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 15,643
Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poni_Boy View Post
Like I said, I'm not talking about you I'm talking about me. You asked why I am starting to feel the cash grab thing and those are my reasons. I love Kennedy and Abrams and championed the hopefulness of their coming on board. But intent and action are two different things. So far their action has been a split between hesitantly positive and shockingly negative. Disney still needs to prove to me that they know what they're doing outside of making a quick buck by acting on good ideas.

And yes I know Terminator 5 will be a reboot but as of right now on Paramount's production program it's called Terminator 5/[YTBT] Terminator reboot. No matter how you slice it it's still the fifth installment of the franchise.
Well I just don't see the "shockingly negative" quiet yes, which has irritated me. But all the business moves they've made have been the right ones. Move away from the PT that a big chunk of people find toxic, get good devs in front of Star Wars games again, get good creative people making the film. To me the positive has far outweighed the (we have not gotten any news yet).

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.