The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

View Poll Results: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?
Darth Caedus 4 12.12%
Darth Sidious 3 9.09%
Darth Plagueis 2 6.06%
Boba Fett 0 0%
Luke's Clone 2 6.06%
Other 22 66.67%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 06:16 AM   #26
smallville fan
Hero
 
smallville fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,338
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorstone View Post
There has to be an existing Sith lord to pass on the knowledge of the dark side to Jacen Solo. If they introduce a new Sith lord; they will have to explain why he/she has remained in the shadows and when the divide among the Sith happened (because they just spent three movies telling us there are always only two, a master and an apprentice).

The only story left for Han, Leia, and Luke is death.

Oh you must mean Lumiya: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lumiya, she was a secret force-sensitive agent that worked for Palpatine in the shadows who eventually became Dark Lady of the Sith. She reached out to Jacen and turned him to the Dark Side after he flow walked back to Order 66 and understood where Anakin was coming from.

As for the death of the big 3, it's very much on the cards and they know it and the fans know it and George Lucas knows it. In this article(http://tv.yahoo.com/news/mark-hamill...140500285.html), it says " Lucas assured the actors that if they didn't want to participate, their characters would be written out of the film", their deaths are inevitable sooner or later, and by the looks of things they've accepted it's going to happen in either the movies or off-screen and we should too. Plus why would you want to deny Harrison Ford his one wish of Han Solo dying and having the legacy of the guy who shoots first, dies first?

Plus from a toy and merchandising stand-point, I'd rather want the toys of the young heroes to have adventures with rather than the old stiffs who aren't going to do much if I were a kid at a toy store.

smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #27
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed
 
NewYorkSpider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 23,414
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
What about, he dies of natural causes while it's still a peaceful time. I mean, would you really want Luke, the hero of the main trilogy to die just to serve as hype for a new threat?
I think Luke should pass away peacefully on Tatooine while the two suns are setting. Also, this should be playing. It starts around 1:40.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #28
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 16,775
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Oh you must mean Lumiya: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lumiya, she was a secret force-sensitive agent that worked for Palpatine in the shadows who eventually became Dark Lady of the Sith. She reached out to Jacen and turned him to the Dark Side after he flow walked back to Order 66 and understood where Anakin was coming from.

As for the death of the big 3, it's very much on the cards and they know it and the fans know it and George Lucas knows it. In this article(http://tv.yahoo.com/news/mark-hamill...140500285.html), it says " Lucas assured the actors that if they didn't want to participate, their characters would be written out of the film", their deaths are inevitable sooner or later, and by the looks of things they've accepted it's going to happen in either the movies or off-screen and we should too. Plus why would you want to deny Harrison Ford his one wish of Han Solo dying and having the legacy of the guy who shoots first, dies first?

Plus from a toy and merchandising stand-point, I'd rather want the toys of the young heroes to have adventures with rather than the old stiffs who aren't going to do much if I were a kid at a toy store.
They are not going to use this extensive of EU period. I know you keep believing they will, but Variety all ready said that they will take some of the ideas but that's it. Again 90% of the EU is crap, these wonderful writers are not going to spend their time tip toeing around the stuff already made. Even back before the PT was being made Lucas said when he makes more films that is what will take precedence, again do I have to show the Holocron again?

Quote:
The Holocron is divided into five levels (in order of precedence): G-canon, T-canon, C-canon, S-canon, and N-canon.
G-canon is absolute canon; the movies (their most recent release), the scripts, the novelizations of the movies, the radio plays, and any statements by George Lucas himself. G-canon overrides the lower levels of canon when there is a contradiction. Within G-canon, many fans follow an unofficial progression of canonicity where the movies are the highest canon, followed by the scripts, the novelizations, and then the radio plays.
T-canon[5] refers to the canon level comprising only the two television shows: Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the upcoming Star Wars live-action TV series. Its precedence over C-Level canon was confirmed by Chee.[6]
C-canon is primarily composed of elements from the Expanded Universe including books, comics, and games bearing the label of Star Wars. Games and RPG sourcebooks are a special case; the stories and general background information are themselves fully C-canon, but the other elements such as character/item statistics and gameplay are, with few exceptions, N-canon.
S-canon is secondary canon; the story itself is considered non-continuity, but the non-contradicting elements are still a canon part of the Star Wars universe. This includes things like the online roleplaying game Star Wars: Galaxies and certain elements of a few N-canon stories.
N-canon is non-canon. "What-if" stories (such as stories published under the Star Wars: Infinities label), crossover appearances (such as the Star Wars character appearances in Soulcalibur IV), game statistics, and anything else directly contradicted by higher canon ends up here. N-canon is the only level that is not considered official canon by Lucasfilm. A significant amount of material that was previously C-canon was rendered N-canon by the release of Episodes IĖIII.
The reason it won't work using such EU, and such extensive EU a few things.

1. Too much fanfare, gets extremely confusing for the general audience. It just flat out does. You would have to have a 25 minute opening scrawl to explain half of it. Too much EU events happened post ROTJ for it to have any clarity, or even further allow a a clear story for the GA to grasp right away. It is pretty much 100% they are adding in Luke/Leia/Han. So I doubt during them trying to set up a new trilogy with all new characters they will say things like: "Oh ya remember Darth Cadeus? Ya he was my son, but he went bad, and then we stopped him ect ect." It gets into too much detail with these characters (Luke/Leia/Han) that the GA loves and cares about. You can't jump too far in the future with these characters showing up because there may be too many questions. They have said before that it is the next generation of Skywalker, not the one after. So it's pretty clear they will wipe out what they did before, because they are not going to just follow those stories, especially the god awful "Legacy of the Force" series.

2. It clutters up the authors, and takes away from having better ideas by trying to tip-toe around cannon that is already 2 tiers below the film cannon. Lucas has said a million times and the Holocron states it clear. THE FILMS HAVE PRECEDENCE OVER ALL EU. It is the main Cannon and always will be. And George Lucas's biographer was one of the few that got to see the outlines for all the trilogies, and claimed this one was the best, and remember this trilogy was written over 30 years ago...so it did not put into perspective the EU.

Now, like many have said they may takes some rough ideas/characters from the EU but if they do their cannon in the books is erased and they are created a-new. Pretty much like any film adaptation of a comic book they go to a different level of cannon. And in Star Wars unlike comic books the films are the ultimate cannon.

3. Disney want's to create an EU themselves, they want books, they want video games with all the main characters (including Luke and them) from this new trilogy. So they are not going to want to have to again limit themselves to what they can do. They own it they control it, and it seems like from many sources they have every reason (and good reason) to rid of the EU especially Post ROTJ.

Maybe something in between will happen, but I doubt it. Let JJ and Arndt work with out terrible story limitations by some terrible EU (though yes there is some good stuff out there). Again there is just more reasons then not for them to pretty much ignore the majority of the EU. And the Holocron "legally in Star Wars fandom" allows that.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #29
smallville fan
Hero
 
smallville fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,338
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

You misunderstand me again, they don't have to follow the EU to the letter, they can just keep the general gist of events(like the Empire not falling in 1 day, as well as other wars because the galaxy is never at peace, the death of friends and family that they've moved on from). In a New Hope as well as some prequel movies like Attack of the Clones we've seen characters talk about past events in their lives, they would probably talk about it in that amount of detail.

Besides the big 3 are all probably going to die anyway so they wouldn't talk about their past, they'll be too busy dying. As for the kids like Ben and Jaina, they are probably a little busy going after the person who killed their parents rather than reminiscing about the past.

If the EU was so crap, then why would Joss Whedon say that if he got the director's chair, he would gladly do the Vong War?

smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #30
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 16,775
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
You misunderstand me again, they don't have to follow the EU to the letter, they can just keep the general gist of events(like the Empire not falling in 1 day, as well as other wars because the galaxy is never at peace, the death of friends and family that they've moved on from). In a New Hope as well as some prequel movies like Attack of the Clones we've seen characters talk about past events in their lives, they would probably talk about it in that amount of detail.

Besides the big 3 are all probably going to die anyway so they wouldn't talk about their past, they'll be too busy dying. As for the kids like Ben and Jaina, they are probably a little busy going after the person who killed their parents rather than reminiscing about the past.

If the EU was so crap, then why would Joss Whedon say that if he got the director's chair, he would gladly do the Vong War?
Because it's his opinion and even though he made a great film like The Avengers it does not mean he's right for everything. I think there are more capable people out there then him. Though I would never be mad if he did in the far future make something. But he's so ingrained with Marvel right now he will be there for a while. If the EU is so great then why is most likley they are getting rid of all of it?

Also Joss wrote Alien Resurrection.

As for the rest I won't get into for now.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #31
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!
 
jonathancrane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Caverns in Arkham Island
Posts: 6,812
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Because it's his opinion and even though he made a great film like The Avengers it does not mean he's right for everything. I think there are more capable people out there then him. Though I would never be mad if he did in the far future make something. But he's so ingrained with Marvel right now he will be there for a while. If the EU is so great then why is most likley they are getting rid of all of it?

Also Joss wrote Alien Resurrection.

As for the rest I won't get into for now.
He did a draft of Alien. The final product was not of his design.

If you're trying to pin directors on one bad film that they had limited creative control with, let us not forget that Abrams was one of the writers of Armageddon.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Aaron
"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #32
Apollo
Canned User
 
Apollo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Moon Pandora
Posts: 6,228
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

No one. Have him die naturally like Yoda.

__________________

Apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #33
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 16,775
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
He did a draft of Alien. The final product was not of his design.

If you're trying to pin directors on one bad film that they had limited creative control with, let us not forget that Abrams was one of the writers of Armageddon.
One of many writers. That and JJ writing is not his strongest suit, I've never denied that. Though he did do great with his TV show writing, and most of Super 8 "the end was not the best" but I stand by the fact like Spielberg JJ is best at directing, not always doing both. But no I do not judge a person on one piece of work. Whedon is a wonderful director/writer one of the best for sure, my point is his opinion does not equate to something solid.

He did not do a draft, it was of his design. He said he would not have directed it that way, but he's been bi-polar on that issue. Back in 2000 there was an old interview where Joss admitted that AR was something he showed to classes on what "not to do" for writing. I remember reading his script prior to the films release way back in the day. His script was used minus some scenes (like the garden in space scene and the alternate endings). A lot of those terrible ideas were his. So I hate when people try to dodge the fact that he did do that. He himself tries to act like it wasn't partly because of him. The direction was a part of it for sure, but I think so was some of the story. Though it would have been interesting if he would have "directed it" it may have been better. His script was his though on AR. It was not re-written by others. I remember him taking credit for it fully before it's release. He is credited for it fully, because he did write it fully. Funny enough that script was the first script I ever read, back in early '97.

But again, my point is that Joss is not some end all be all. And my main point still stands the majority of the EU is not very good. Minus the Thrawn trilogy and some NJO and a few video games a lot of it was poorly done. The Vong war may be an interesting idea to him, but that does not equal the fact that he thinks the EU is super great! To me that was a massive jump on smallville fan's point.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)

Last edited by Solidus; 05-30-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:34 PM   #34
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!
 
jonathancrane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Caverns in Arkham Island
Posts: 6,812
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
One of many writers. That and JJ writing is not his strongest suit, I've never denied that. Though he did do great with his TV show writing, and most of Super 8 "the end was not the best" but I stand by the fact like Spielberg JJ is best at directing, not always doing both. But no I do not judge a person on one piece of work. Whedon is a wonderful director/writer one of the best for sure, my point is his opinion does not equate to something solid.

He did not do a draft, it was of his design. He said he would not have directed it that way, but he's been bi-polar on that issue. Back in 2000 there was an old interview where Joss admitted that AR was something he showed to classes on what "not to do" for writing. I remember reading his script prior to the films release way back in the day. His script was used minus some scenes (like the garden in space scene and the alternate endings). A lot of those terrible ideas were his. So I hate when people try to dodge the fact that he did do that. He himself tries to act like it wasn't partly because of him. The direction was a part of it for sure, but I think so was some of the story. Though it would have been interesting if he would have "directed it" it may have been better. His script was his though on AR. It was not re-written by others. I remember him taking credit for it fully before it's release. He is credited for it fully, because he did write it fully. Funny enough that script was the first script I ever read, back in early '97.

But again, my point is that Joss is not some end all be all. And my main point still stands the majority of the EU is not very good. Minus the Thrawn trilogy and some NJO and a few video games a lot of it was poorly done. The Vong war may be an interesting idea to him, but that does not equal the fact that he thinks the EU is super great! To me that was a massive jump on smallville fan's point.
Interesting. I was not aware of the full history...

thanks for clarifying.

While he is a fine writer and director, I do agree with your point: he is one of the overly-fan suggested creative talent for films.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Aaron
"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #35
smallville fan
Hero
 
smallville fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,338
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

It still hasn't been officially said that Abrams/Lucasfilm wants to jettison the whole EU and/or not use elements from it altogether. All people here read are random reports from random websites and make be all end all assumptions that end up fake. It's like that Star Wars Reclamation crap, where everybody thought Luke Skywalker would somehow become a Batman/Robin Hood like figure called The Shade. I laughed for days when it was declared to be fake and I saw it coming because I actually bother to think about where those sources originate.

The same thing happened years before Avengers came out, like this guy who heard "a rumour" that the villain would be the Hulk at about 6:48. XD

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


oh and here's another "golden" rumour from Marvel: http://www.accesshollywood.com/vs-mo..._article_38327

So call me when JJ Abrams says the EU is completely gone rather than using secondary sources that have been passed around like a basketball. In all seriousness if they did I'll go with it and would enjoy it.


Last edited by smallville fan; 05-30-2013 at 07:41 PM.
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #36
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 16,775
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
It still hasn't been officially said that Abrams/Lucasfilm wants to jettison the whole EU and/or not use elements from it altogether. All people here read are random reports from random websites and make be all end all assumptions that end up fake. It's like that Star Wars Reclamation crap, where everybody thought Luke Skywalker would somehow become a Batman/Robin Hood like figure called The Shade. I laughed for days when it was declared to be fake and I saw it coming because I actually bother to think about where those sources originate.

The same thing happened years before Avengers came out, like this guy who heard "a rumour" that the villain would be the Hulk at about 6:48. XD

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


oh and here's another "golden" rumour from Marvel: http://www.accesshollywood.com/vs-mo..._article_38327

So call me when JJ Abrams says the EU is completely gone rather than using secondary sources that have been passed around like a basketball. In all seriousness if they did I'll go with it and would enjoy it.
First you just like me were skeptical but still talking about the Reclamation. you were getting into it and getting mad that everyone else clearly saw that The shade WAS LUKE. And it being fake even made it clearer that was what the guy that made that joke was going for. I was always skeptical of it, but interested in the ideas.

I have a feeling even when they do announce that they are the EU is pretty much gone you still won't accept it. There has been more reports (Variety is one of the best in Hollywood) saying that it will be mostly jettisoned, that and the logical points above. That and that Lucas has retconned before, and more importantly that's why he made the Holocron to tell everyone that was reading the EU that future movies will always over-write anything. It points to one more so logical conclusion then just saying "no because" The Holocron itself points that the books/comics are really just authorized fan fiction. Because that's how the cannon sees it.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #37
smallville fan
Hero
 
smallville fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,338
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
First you just like me were skeptical but still talking about the Reclamation. you were getting into it and getting mad that everyone else clearly saw that The shade WAS LUKE. And it being fake even made it clearer that was what the guy that made that joke was going for. I was always skeptical of it, but interested in the ideas.

I have a feeling even when they do announce that they are the EU is pretty much gone you still won't accept it. There has been more reports (Variety is one of the best in Hollywood) saying that it will be mostly jettisoned, that and the logical points above. That and that Lucas has retconned before, and more importantly that's why he made the Holocron to tell everyone that was reading the EU that future movies will always over-write anything. It points to one more so logical conclusion then just saying "no because" The Holocron itself points that the books/comics are really just authorized fan fiction. Because that's how the cannon sees it.
When is still pretty much if at this point. Oh and you can't judge me like that. You don't even know me, what makes you so sure that I wouldn't accept it? All there will be is 2 different continuities like Terminator, one which the fans accept(TSCC), and one which will be readily rejected by fans and GA(Salvation).


Last edited by smallville fan; 05-31-2013 at 12:43 AM.
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:18 AM   #38
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome
 
Spider-Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,473
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

OK, I'll give some hope for those EU fans.

Back when Lucas ok'ed the Thrawn trilogy which launched the literary EU (remember West End Games created A LOT of the EU that became canon, such as the name of species), Lucas gave strict parameters. He said nothing could be done taking place before ANH, specifically the Clone Wars, because he had in the back of his mind he may get to the prequels. Also, the stories could not go beyond, I think, 20 years after ROTJ. Again, I believe he still had an idea he might do the Sequel Trilogy (VII, VIII, IX). I think the books were testing the waters to see if there might be interest in more Star Wars films (and you know the answer to that).

So, basically, with the PT & ST possibly on the table, based on the famous outline, Lucas made sure new material would not interfere with his plans. Case in point, changing the idea of cloning Obi-Wan. So, I assume, at least some of the early EU may have been taken into consideration. So. it's possible the Thrawn trilogy and some others and their results (such as Han & Leia marriage and twins), could fit with his outline.

But, remember, when it seemed clear to Lucas he may only get through the PT (and thus closing off the story), he probably relaxed control, so later stuff, line NJO would be doubtful. He also only reluctantly agreed to allow Luke and Mara to marry. Again, when it seemed there would be no ST. Probably, based on the prequels, his idea was Luke would not marry.

__________________
... and get off my lawn!!!



The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Spider-Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:28 AM   #39
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 16,775
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

Not at all. Lucas did so many things by the seat of his pants. Originally he was going to do the ST right away, then he said no, then he decided he never wanted to do them and just make the PT ect. Even though some ideas were put up in outline form, at the same time Lucas really changed his mind a lot if he was ever going to do something. He always changed his mind about doing future films or not. What he really did not have was a grand plan to do more or not even though he has had some rough outline/ideas. But again you are ignoring one thing, that is why he made the Holocron (see above). he made it for one reason alone. That the films will always take over the cannon. He would not do that for any other reason. That and there are things that talked about the Clone Wars in the Thrawn Trilogy that were over-written by the PT.

The Holocron is the entire key, he made the cannon tiered, and he made the books the third tier for a reason, that no matter what in the future a film can over write any of it.

Quote:
the scripts, the novelizations of the movies, the radio plays, and any statements by George Lucas himself. G-canon overrides the lower levels of canon when there is a contradiction.
That wording is there for a reason not just for the fun of it. Lucas wanted money so he allowed the EU to just go, he really (especially after the Thrawn trilogy) did not care as much about the EU especially once he released the Holocron stating the cannon facts. So everything you said is not true for one reason alone. The Holocron was made because he let the EU just go wild, and he realized in the future (like before with the PT not knowing if he was going to make it or not) that he may have ideas that contradict what was already written in book form, hence it's why the books/comics ect are third tier cannon that can be easily over-written.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)

Last edited by Solidus; 05-31-2013 at 09:33 AM.
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:50 AM   #40
Bim
Side-Kick
 
Bim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,704
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
No one. Have him die naturally like Yoda.
This is what i'd like to see also

__________________
ďThere is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.Ē Goethe

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #41
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome
 
Spider-Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,473
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Not at all. Lucas did so many things by the seat of his pants. Originally he was going to do the ST right away, then he said no, then he decided he never wanted to do them and just make the PT ect.
I get that, but I think you are confusing things and when things happen. When the idea of a 9 part series formed, the idea was to do the middle section (IV, V, VI) followed by the prequels (I, II, II) and the finish with the ST (VII, VIII, IX). It was a trilogy of trilogies, done ever three years with no break. The saga would be complete around 2001.

As we know, this did not happen, the films took a lot out of him, and he ended it with Jedi, saying he was done. He did leave it open that he might one day want to return (note final quote from the documentary From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga which came out in 1983).

So again, when he allowed the EU to start, he said they could only use the time from ROTJ to 20years after ROTJ. That was it. He wanted the PT (before ANH) and ST (at the time I assume 20 years post-Jedi) open in case he did do those movies. He may have allowed what happened in those early books because they would not contradict what he might have in the ST.

Again, giving slight hope for EU fans. I myself do not care and would rather the ST start with a clean slate, with only Lucas outline to go off of, NO other books.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Even though some ideas were put up in outline form, at the same time Lucas really changed his mind a lot if he was ever going to do something. He always changed his mind about doing future films or not. What he really did not have was a grand plan to do more or not even though he has had some rough outline/ideas. But again you are ignoring one thing, that is why he made the Holocron (see above). he made it for one reason alone. That the films will always take over the cannon. He would not do that for any other reason. That and there are things that talked about the Clone Wars in the Thrawn Trilogy that were over-written by the PT.

The Holocron is the entire key, he made the cannon tiered, and he made the books the third tier for a reason, that no matter what in the future a film can over write any of it.
Again, he came up with this canon system when things got out of hand, which is why I said later stuff (Boba Fett's origin for example) went out the window in favor of the story he wanted to tell. Same holds true for the ST. If it interferes with the story they want to tell, EU is gone. Luke is to remain single? The whole Mara Jade thing is toast.

__________________
... and get off my lawn!!!



The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Spider-Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #42
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 16,775
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Gnome View Post
I get that, but I think you are confusing things and when things happen. When the idea of a 9 part series formed, the idea was to do the middle section (IV, V, VI) followed by the prequels (I, II, II) and the finish with the ST (VII, VIII, IX). It was a trilogy of trilogies, done ever three years with no break. The saga would be complete around 2001.

As we know, this did not happen, the films took a lot out of him, and he ended it with Jedi, saying he was done. He did leave it open that he might one day want to return (note final quote from the documentary From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga which came out in 1983).

So again, when he allowed the EU to start, he said they could only use the time from ROTJ to 20years after ROTJ. That was it. He wanted the PT (before ANH) and ST (at the time I assume 20 years post-Jedi) open in case he did do those movies. He may have allowed what happened in those early books because they would not contradict what he might have in the ST.

Again, giving slight hope for EU fans. I myself do not care and would rather the ST start with a clean slate, with only Lucas outline to go off of, NO other books.





Again, he came up with this canon system when things got out of hand, which is why I said later stuff (Boba Fett's origin for example) went out the window in favor of the story he wanted to tell. Same holds true for the ST. If it interferes with the story they want to tell, EU is gone. Luke is to remain single? The whole Mara Jade thing is toast.
Actually that's not fully true, and again a testament to how many times Lucas changed his mind. But prior to ROTJ and during ESB's making he wanted to make VII-IX right after ROTJ, and it was going to introduce the "other Skywalker" in either VII, or VIII. And the Emperor showdown would be in IX. But later after ESB during 1981 he started to ponder the idea of doing the PT, but he was not 100% on if he was going to do that first, or the ST. It was up in the air. Then in 1987, during the 10 year Anniversary Event he claimed he was wanting to do the PT first that was the first time he really had started to think that was going to be the next step. He changed his mind 100 times. So for a while actually the ST was going to be first.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #43
Octoberist
point blank
 
Octoberist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: California
Posts: 38,500
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Gnome View Post
OK, I'll give some hope for those EU fans.

Back when Lucas ok'ed the Thrawn trilogy which launched the literary EU (remember West End Games created A LOT of the EU that became canon, such as the name of species), Lucas gave strict parameters. He said nothing could be done taking place before ANH, specifically the Clone Wars, because he had in the back of his mind he may get to the prequels. Also, the stories could not go beyond, I think, 20 years after ROTJ. Again, I believe he still had an idea he might do the Sequel Trilogy (VII, VIII, IX). I think the books were testing the waters to see if there might be interest in more Star Wars films (and you know the answer to that).

So, basically, with the PT & ST possibly on the table, based on the famous outline, Lucas made sure new material would not interfere with his plans. Case in point, changing the idea of cloning Obi-Wan. So, I assume, at least some of the early EU may have been taken into consideration. So. it's possible the Thrawn trilogy and some others and their results (such as Han & Leia marriage and twins), could fit with his outline.

But, remember, when it seemed clear to Lucas he may only get through the PT (and thus closing off the story), he probably relaxed control, so later stuff, line NJO would be doubtful. He also only reluctantly agreed to allow Luke and Mara to marry. Again, when it seemed there would be no ST. Probably, based on the prequels, his idea was Luke would not marry.
But if you give some people an inch, they'll take a mile!

and if you noticed, Lucas is very, very, very fickle on his stance on the EU. Of course there are certain things he wanted to leave a mystery for fans (Yoda's race could not be explored) but he has flip flop so many times on this EU subject.

__________________
PAUL RUDD IS IMMORTAL!
Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #44
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome
 
Spider-Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,473
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Actually that's not fully true, and again a testament to how many times Lucas changed his mind. But prior to ROTJ and during ESB's making he wanted to make VII-IX right after ROTJ, and it was going to introduce the "other Skywalker" in either VII, or VIII. And the Emperor showdown would be in IX. But later after ESB during 1981 he started to ponder the idea of doing the PT, but he was not 100% on if he was going to do that first, or the ST. It was up in the air. Then in 1987, during the 10 year Anniversary Event he claimed he was wanting to do the PT first that was the first time he really had started to think that was going to be the next step. He changed his mind 100 times. So for a while actually the ST was going to be first.
Alright, not to get in a massive argument of when Lucas came up with what (since we know he changes it), I distinctly remember in the 80's, after Empire was released, the plan was IV, V, VI, I, II, III, VII,VIII, IX. I even remember that he said Mark Hamil would reprise the role of Luke in VII if he was old enough, meaning he would be more like Obi-Wan.

Any way, my point, was that Lucas may at one point have taken early EU in to account as it had to be approved by Lucas who considered in the back of his mind that he might do a ST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
But if you give some people an inch, they'll take a mile!

and if you noticed, Lucas is very, very, very fickle on his stance on the EU. Of course there are certain things he wanted to leave a mystery for fans (Yoda's race could not be explored) but he has flip flop so many times on this EU subject.
Personally, not only to I not care if EU stands, I hope it is ignored, at least most of it. I was just being nice to EU fans for a change.

__________________
... and get off my lawn!!!



The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Spider-Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:38 PM   #45
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat
 
Parker Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 23,636
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-episodes-7-9-trilogy/

Quote:
Sources of E! Online however, provide a different story, claiming that Disney will instead opt for an entirely original story for Star Wars Episode 7 and the following installments. They acknowledge that there are treatments in place and the despite the nine beloved Star Wars Expanded Universe novels written by author Timothy Zahn (most notably, the Thrawn trilogy which begins with Heir to the Empire) which technically qualify as canon according to the publishing department at Lucas Licensing in the ’90s, none of that will serve as the basis for the films going forward.

E!’s Leslie Gornstein reports that she’s heard directly from LucasFilm and other sources “close to the picture” that Star Wars Episode 7 will tell a story never before seen in the extended fiction. That of course, also applies to episodes 8 and 9 which were confirmed by Disney chairman Robert Iger on a conference call earlier today.
They may use some elements, but it will be few and they're not adapting from EU.

Like I said in other threads, fans of the EU hoping to see that on screen will be disappointed.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #46
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat
 
Parker Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 23,636
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Gnome View Post
Personally, not only to I not care if EU stands, I hope it is ignored, at least most of it. I was just being nice to EU fans for a change.
I think at this point Smallville fan needs to hear the harsh truth.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:52 PM   #47
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 16,775
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Gnome View Post
Alright, not to get in a massive argument of when Lucas came up with what (since we know he changes it), I distinctly remember in the 80's, after Empire was released, the plan was IV, V, VI, I, II, III, VII,VIII, IX. I even remember that he said Mark Hamil would reprise the role of Luke in VII if he was old enough, meaning he would be more like Obi-Wan.

Any way, my point, was that Lucas may at one point have taken early EU in to account as it had to be approved by Lucas who considered in the back of his mind that he might do a ST.



Personally, not only to I not care if EU stands, I hope it is ignored, at least most of it. I was just being nice to EU fans for a change.
Again Lucas said a "lot of things" and not all of them were true. I believe it was in the Secret History of Star Wars that talked about the ST for a brief time was going to continue because for a while even it was going to be 4 films in bulk with Luke and not just three. But at first he said sequels, then prequels. It's hard to follow him. A quote from Gary Kurtz kinda lays down that not even Lucas really knew.

Quote:
KURTZ: After this idea of more films came up, he did several interviews where he said he had story material to do nine films Ė three prequels and three sequels. That was the accepted story, basically, and there was quite a bit of material both before and after the Star Wars lump. So there was no decision to do either one...
When you get into this whole debate there is tons of contradictory statements. So in other words I think he had brief ideas, but one day would be like ST next! Then later PT next! So on so forth. It's hard to get a clear picture of what really was going on. And this was with films. So I'm sure Lucas was not very "decisive" when it came to EU at all. That's why the Holocron was made because he sometimes shot from the hip with things.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:29 PM   #48
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome
 
Spider-Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,473
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

All I'm going to say I remember the order they said they were going to do it. And it was what I remember from back then when the movies were being made, NOT what I read in some book...

__________________
... and get off my lawn!!!



The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Spider-Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:36 PM   #49
Bim
Side-Kick
 
Bim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 8,704
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
http://screenrant.com/star-wars-episodes-7-9-trilogy/

They may use some elements, but it will be few and they're not adapting from EU.

Like I said in other threads, fans of the EU hoping to see that on screen will be disappointed.
This is why i'm not keeping expectations regarding the post-ROTJ EU stories. Like i've said before, for me personally if they come up with awesome stories to tell that dont have any similarity with the EU i've read, i'm fine with that.

__________________
ďThere is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.Ē Goethe

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #50
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...
 
Solidus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bespin
Posts: 16,775
Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Gnome View Post
All I'm going to say I remember the order they said they were going to do it. And it was what I remember from back then when the movies were being made, NOT what I read in some book...
Ya I'll listen to the people that were not only there back then, but actually involved. Like Kurtz that was later put into books interviews ect. Lucas also said I-VI was it, and there was never going to be any more ever, very adamantly for years and years and years. Then changed his mind. So let's not pull the "I was there during that time" so were these guys involved with every process. And I'm sure there was lots of information running around at that time. Because at one point he said it was going to be XII episodes after the original was released. Lots of things were said all over the place.

__________________
"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)

Last edited by Solidus; 05-31-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.