The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

View Poll Results: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?
Darth Caedus 5 14.71%
Darth Sidious 3 8.82%
Darth Plagueis 2 5.88%
Boba Fett 0 0%
Luke's Clone 2 5.88%
Other 22 64.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2013, 03:53 PM   #51
Lord
All Mighty

Default Re: Who Kills Luke Skywalker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
It's never peaceful in the Star Wars galaxy, there's always a new threat, you don't need knowledge of the EU to know that the Empire doesn't completely fall in one day, or that a wild new threat from an outside galaxy appears.
Lol, it's never peaceful in the real world either, yet it's rare for such heroes to be killed unless they didn't bring peace to their respective country. And it's only in the EU that a lot of stuff happens, for 1000 years the republic was quite peaceful without the existence of the Sith, now suddenly in 80 years we see the rise and fall of the Empire, a load of new Siths, a new alien species invading the galaxy, along with the many events in EU books with new threats bigger than the last.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:01 PM   #52
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Ya I'll listen to the people that were not only there back then, but actually involved. Like Kurtz that was later put into books interviews ect. Lucas also said I-VI was it, and there was never going to be any more ever, very adamantly for years and years and years. Then changed his mind. So let's not pull the "I was there during that time" so were these guys involved with every process. And I'm sure there was lots of information running around at that time. Because at one point he said it was going to be XII episodes after the original was released. Lots of things were said all over the place.
OK, let's put it this way, that was the order the public and the fans were told. What was going on behind closed doors could be something entirely.

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Spider-Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #53
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Gnome View Post
OK, let's put it this way, that was the order the public and the fans were told. What was going on behind closed doors could be something entirely.
It is something else entirely then. But what really matters is what is really really going on behind the scenes. (which really was chaos and no certainty) And it goes back to the point there was not very much planning with the EU. If I remember correctly it was around '88 that Lucas said it was going to only be VI episodes and more about the Arc of Anakin and not the Adventures of Luke Skywalker. The point is it all goes back to the EU. Around that time is when he gave Zahn the go ahead, because it sounded like he was just wanting to focus on the prequels by then. And not do IX. But beyond that the EU did not have much planning and again is why the Holocron was made. Was because of poor planning similar to that led to the Infinite Crisis ect.

Last edited by Solidus; 05-31-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Solidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #54
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
It is something else entirely then. But what really matters is what is really really going on behind the scenes. (which really was chaos and no certainty) And it goes back to the point there was not very much planning with the EU. If I remember correctly it was around '88 that Lucas said it was going to only be VI episodes and more about the Arc of Anakin and not the Adventures of Luke Skywalker. The point is it all goes back to the EU. Around that time is when he gave Zahn the go ahead, because it sounded like he was just wanting to focus on the prequels by then. And not do IX. But beyond that the EU did not have much planning and again is why the Holocron was made. Was because of poor planning similar to that led to the Infinite Crisis ect.
Correct, he was more interested in the possible prequels at the time, but he also set a limit to not go past 20 years post Jedi, leaving that time open for a ST if he wanted to. Remember when he gave the go ahead for the Zahn books, the prequels were not definite yet. And then when he got into writing Phantom Menace, that's when he decided to only do the prequels. I believe that's when things opened up for the New Jedi Order books I believe.

That all said, I don't think Episode VII will make use of any EU.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #55
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Sources of E! Online however, provide a different story, claiming that Disney will instead opt for an entirely original story for Star Wars Episode 7 and the following installments. They acknowledge that there are treatments in place and the despite the nine beloved Star Wars Expanded Universe novels written by author Timothy Zahn (most notably, the Thrawn trilogy which begins with Heir to the Empire) which technically qualify as canon according to the publishing department at Lucas Licensing in the ’90s, none of that will serve as the basis for the films going forward.

E!’s Leslie Gornstein reports that she’s heard directly from LucasFilm and other sources “close to the picture” that Star Wars Episode 7 will tell a story never before seen in the extended fiction. That of course, also applies to episodes 8 and 9 which were confirmed by Disney chairman Robert Iger on a conference call earlier today.
Ok let me get one thing straight here. I never said I wanted or wished for a straight-up adaptation of a novel or any previous lore. Just do things like keep the characters as they were, which isn't really that hard to do. What I mean is that I would like a story "never before seen in the extended fiction" with Luke & Co.(all dying at the end or some form of acceptable closure which I feel in my subjective opinion might happen) and their children whose names are Ben, Jaina and Jacen. Their personal histories can be altered to suit the movie for all I care.

I definitely feel Luke needs to have a son, as one of the big themes of the Star Wars movies is the relationships between Fathers/Father-figures and sons. This is seen with the relationship between Obi-Wan and Luke or even Vader and Luke and in the prequels Obi-Wan and Anakin, Qui-Gon and Anakin(briefly) or even Palpatine and Anakin. If that does not come to full circle with Luke, then they are not satisfying the one of the themes of the movies and I will have no doubt the movie will suffer if it doesn't fulfill that.

As for this "female lead" it could may as well be Jaina who Luke could train, but please do keep Ben. Luke must have a son. If they can keep further elements, like the Vong, more power to them.

If they do something like change the timeline such that there has been nothing but peace since the battle of Endor, they would be deluding themselves seriously. Something like Palpatine's Empire with it's numerous fleets of Star Destroyers and endless armies of Stormtroopers doesn't fall in one day to a merry band of rebels, I'm sure in this movie like in the novels would have the Empire fall into chaos at first then reorganized again, like what Thrawn did. That is something the novels got right.

If everyone here really wants me to keep an open mind, then why is it that people here won't accept the possible reality of Luke, Han, and Leia all possibly dying or getting killed off?(Just to go back to the thread's main topic). This was mainly evident in the first people who posted on this thread.

They are old, and not the spring chicken heroes they were, and according to most signs I've seen(I've done research of my own too! Most particularly of Harrison Ford!) that's what they are possibly going to do when I think of "never before seen in the extended fiction" as it was never done in extended fiction. They wouldn't do it for shock value but rather to make their stories come to full circle and they may do it immediately or 1 for each episode. From what I could see, Han is very likely to shoot first and die first. This belief stems from Ford's very public disdain for Han Solo as seen here and in other interviews throughout the years:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

As for why he would come back even when he could be written off, two reasons, the big $$$$ paid by Disney and/or the opportunity to finally see him die after all these years.

P.S. Han dying first may also line up with the spin-off movies they might do(the rumored Yoda, Han Solo and Boba Fett movies, they're still doing those yes?). I could see that after Episode 7 where Han dies, the first movie might be a story which pays tribute to the character and fully round up his story.

Last edited by smallville fan; 05-31-2013 at 06:13 PM.
smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #56
smallville fan
Hero

I don't mean to double post, but I had a passing thought which would be great for this thread.

As for which villains would be a great original addition, and worthy enough to give Luke a warrior's death, I always liked the idea of using some LOTR actors.

From what I heard, Australian actor John Noble(who was in LOTR and Fringe as well as knowing Abrams) said that he'd be up for a role in Star Wars: http://www.digitalspy.com.au/movies/...d-be-epic.html

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Watch from 4:14 for John Noble

I could see him being a new Sith Lord/Emperor figure as well as whoever plays the Witch King. As well as him, I always felt Hugo Weaving would make a great Sith Lord. Just listen to his voice from V for Vendetta.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 06-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #57
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:
Ok let me get one thing straight here. I never said I wanted or wished for a straight-up adaptation of a novel or any previous lore. Just do things like keep the characters as they were, which isn't really that hard to do. What I mean is that I would like a story "never before seen in the extended fiction" with Luke & Co.(all dying at the end or some form of acceptable closure which I feel in my subjective opinion might happen) and their children whose names are Ben, Jaina and Jacen. Their personal histories can be altered to suit the movie for all I care.

I definitely feel Luke needs to have a son, as one of the big themes of the Star Wars movies is the relationships between Fathers/Father-figures and sons. This is seen with the relationship between Obi-Wan and Luke or even Vader and Luke and in the prequels Obi-Wan and Anakin, Qui-Gon and Anakin(briefly) or even Palpatine and Anakin. If that does not come to full circle with Luke, then they are not satisfying the one of the themes of the movies and I will have no doubt the movie will suffer if it doesn't fulfill that.

As for this "female lead" it could may as well be Jaina who Luke could train, but please do keep Ben. Luke must have a son. If they can keep further elements, like the Vong, more power to them.
As far as names like "Ben" and "Jaina" or what not, I think that could be the best EU could hope for. They could be named the same, but not have the same history.

I get what you are saying by Father/Son dynamic, but that's not to say they could not do the Father/Daughter dynamic (or even Mother/Daughter) this trilogy. I think a "female lead" (ala the Anakin/Luke role) could be a nice change of pace.

Quote:
If everyone here really wants me to keep an open mind, then why is it that people here won't accept the possible reality of Luke, Han, and Leia all possibly dying or getting killed off?(Just to go back to the thread's main topic). This was mainly evident in the first people who posted on this thread.

They are old, and not the spring chicken heroes they were, and according to most signs I've seen(I've done research of my own too! Most particularly of Harrison Ford!) that's what they are possibly going to do when I think of "never before seen in the extended fiction" as it was never done in extended fiction. They wouldn't do it for shock value but rather to make their stories come to full circle and they may do it immediately or 1 for each episode. From what I could see, Han is very likely to shoot first and die first. This belief stems from Ford's very public disdain for Han Solo as seen here and in other interviews throughout the years:

As for why he would come back even when he could be written off, two reasons, the big $$$$ paid by Disney and/or the opportunity to finally see him die after all these years.
On the subject of Han dieing, I see this as a strong possibility. Exactly what I thought when I heard suddenly Ford was open to returning to the role.

As for Luke, if they wanted to continue with the whole "rhyming" thing Lucas talked about, Luke's death makes the most sense in Episode VII as it would mirror Qui-Gon in I and Obi-Wan in IV. Of course, Hamil could continue in future films as a Force Spirit.

Quote:
P.S. Han dying first may also line up with the spin-off movies they might do(the rumored Yoda, Han Solo and Boba Fett movies, they're still doing those yes?). I could see that after Episode 7 where Han dies, the first movie might be a story which pays tribute to the character and fully round up his story.
I think they said Yoda was a false rumor, but Han and Fett were announced.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #58
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Gnome View Post
As far as names like "Ben" and "Jaina" or what not, I think that could be the best EU could hope for. They could be named the same, but not have the same history.

I get what you are saying by Father/Son dynamic, but that's not to say they could not do the Father/Daughter dynamic (or even Mother/Daughter) this trilogy. I think a "female lead" (ala the Anakin/Luke role) could be a nice change of pace.
If "Jaina" is fulfilling the role and "Ben" acts as a little brother/informal apprentice figure who eventually gets his moment in the sun, that I'm good with.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #59
Human Torch
OK,who brought the dog?

Quote:

Yeah,that's pretty much how I feel.That's what I was saying in the Female Lead thread.There needs to be a male successor for Luke to connect to.The Saga has been full of them,and it's become a staple.

I don't think it should be an actual son of Luke.I honestly don't think of Luke as the type to marry. Mark Hamill agrees with me.I remember reading where he said he thought Luke had dealt with that aspect of his life,and would emulate Obi-Wan.If Mark gets any input into the story,I wouldn't be surprised if that's the road they take.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #60
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Yeah,that's pretty much how I feel.That's what I was saying in the Female Lead thread.There needs to be a male successor for Luke to connect to.The Saga has been full of them,and it's become a staple.

I don't think it should be an actual son of Luke.I honestly don't think of Luke as the type to marry. Mark Hamill agrees with me.I remember reading where he said he thought Luke had dealt with that aspect of his life,and would emulate Obi-Wan.If Mark gets any input into the story,I wouldn't be surprised if that's the road they take.
Well wasn't living the whole "Celibate, No Attachment Jedi Lifestyle" as preached by the old Jedi Order mostly took part in what caused Anakin's downfall and drove him towards Palpatine as the Jedi forbade attachments of all kinds? And when Luke started the New Jedi Order one of the first things he did was abolish that rule as the old Jedi Order ignored that attachments can be good as well as the fact that there were so few Jedi and force users in the galaxy. This could also be seen in the movies where Anakin's love and attachment to his son to save Luke and himself from the Dark Side in ROTJ. Bottom line is Attachments=can be very good, Obi-Wan/Old Jedi Lifestyle=bad and outdated

So he embraced those he cared about like Mara Jade and became a better Jedi because of it. It would be sensible to carry that over and I would like to see a better and enlightened Jedi Order than the strict and over 9000 rules to follow one.

Last edited by smallville fan; 06-01-2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #61
Human Torch
OK,who brought the dog?

I hope they don't completely toss out all the "old" jedi rules.I mean,the Order didn't fall simply because Anakin fell in love.

I wouldn't really have too much problem with Luke having a family if we could see it from the beginning.But at this point too much time has passed.I don't want it to be like "Look over there.See her?That's Luke's wife.They married 30 years ago.Nice woman" It'll seem more natural to me if they carry on with Han & Leia's children,since we already know their relationship and it was a key part of the previous trilogy.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #62
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
I hope they don't completely toss out all the "old" jedi rules.I mean,the Order didn't fall simply because Anakin fell in love.

I wouldn't really have too much problem with Luke having a family if we could see it from the beginning.But at this point too much time has passed.I don't want it to be like "Look over there.See her?That's Luke's wife.They married 30 years ago.Nice woman" It'll seem more natural to me if they carry on with Han & Leia's children,since we already know their relationship and it was a key part of the previous trilogy.
Yeah I know Anakin falling in love was not the only reason why he became Vader. But in ROTS all he wanted was to save Padme and he knew he couldn't get help from the Jedi because they're meant to let go as attachments are bad, which he did not want and went to Palpatine. If only the Order allowed and encouraged this behavior like the New one.

As the whole "A wild Mara Jade who just happens to be Luke's wife for 30 years appears" issue, well they had an entire trilogy where we did not know who Luke's mom was but we knew she died. They could simply introduce "Ben" and have implied that Mara Jade died off-screen.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:50 AM   #63
johnrain
Side-Kick

http://perezhilton.com/2013-05-30-ma...-butts-ashtray

Cigarettes are what kill Luke Skywalker.

johnrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:49 AM   #64
lime
Movie critic

This is ridiculous thread. We don't even know who is the villain in this and yet you have a full list of potential killers. We don't know if any of them is in.

lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:09 AM   #65
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

It's because the OP is an EU fan and still has the belief that the EU will happen on screen despite many people close to episode VII saying otherwise.

Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:21 AM   #66
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by lime View Post
This is ridiculous thread. We don't even know who is the villain in this and yet you have a full list of potential killers. We don't know if any of them is in.
hehe, it is.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #67
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
It's because the OP is an EU fan and still has the belief that the EU will happen on screen despite many people close to episode VII saying otherwise.
I don't see how this thread which is about Luke dying=the OP being a hardcore EU fan disagreeing with the "current plans"? If anything it's what's going to happen very likely. Like I said before, if you EU haters and retcon-wishers want us "true fans" to embrace new continuity, maybe you all should take your own advice and embrace one where we see characters we know and love finally receive their ultimate ending, whether it's down in a blaze of glory out in the battlefield or peacefully around friends and family.

The theories for the sequel trilogy being about their deaths(Han and Luke especially) which propel their children into becoming the new heroes of the galaxy actually seem quite sound. What did you all expect? A bunch of 60-something seniors riding around in an even older ship?

Old 06-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #68
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by lime View Post
There is an 'Other' option on the poll. It's fun to speculate, in any case.

James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #69
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
I don't see how this thread which is about Luke dying=the OP being a hardcore EU fan disagreeing with the "current plans"? If anything it's what's going to happen very likely. Like I said before, if you EU haters and retcon-wishers want us "true fans" to embrace new continuity, maybe you all should take your own advice and embrace one where we see characters we know and love finally receive their ultimate ending, whether it's down in a blaze of glory out in the battlefield or peacefully around friends and family.

The theories for the sequel trilogy being about their deaths(Han and Luke especially) which propel their children into becoming the new heroes of the galaxy actually seem quite sound. What did you all expect? A bunch of 60-something seniors riding around in an even older ship?
Knock it off. Now.

That is where the line is crossed. I have read lots of EU and ya most of it was bad, just like a lot of us did not like the PT. But none of this "true fan" crap. You are no more a true fan then a lot on here.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:29 AM   #70
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
if you EU haters and retcon-wishers want us "true fans" to embrace new continuity,
Pst, I love (most of) the EU and nothing would please me more than to see the Vong war happen. But even I can see the EU is out the window. A few name-drops is the best you can hope for. Resorting to accusations will not help your case. Neither will being absolute about stuff.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:47 AM   #71
Octoberist
point blank

@smallville

I'm not even an EU hater or recon-wisher. It's about facing the reality that most or maybe all of the EU stuff will tossed out for the new films. I don't the theme here is about who's disrespectful and who's not, but facing and dealing with this strong possibility, and gauging expectations.

Bluntly: If you were a bit more sensible and understanding person, and not constantly misinterpreting what people are saying, you would get it. But you have been cursed by the SITH, with a Force talent of 'Not Getting It', which suffice to say, is the worst power this side of the galaxy.

Last edited by Octoberist; 06-03-2013 at 04:12 AM.
Octoberist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #72
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

I have no problems with the EU (except for The Force Unleashed, I'd be happy if that never gets mentioned in the movies and retconned), but to be honest, EU fans like you are the reason I'm hoping the EU gets ignored. You, like many EU fans are going to be in for a rude awakening when it happens.

And asking who's gonna kill Luke with a bunch of EU characters (including Boba Fett) who most likely won't be in the movies and despite the fact that we don't have any confirmed villains or new characters is ridiculous.

Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.

Last edited by Parker Wayne; 06-03-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #73
thorstone
Side-Kick

If creating a new villain, I would introduce "Sith" lords that have traveled from another galaxy, playing upon the xenophobic theme of the modern holy war between Western nations and Islamic nations.

The ultimate enemy of the new trilogy must be a force wielding villain. Nobody wants to see Luke Skywalker fight a villain that uses neither a lightsaber or the force.

thorstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #74
Solouk
Side-Kick

I may be the only one, but I'm beginning to get mildly concerned that if the Sith are to have any role in his new trilogy it'll be linked to Darth Plagueis. Now don't get me wrong. I don't think he's a bad idea, just someone who's better more suited to a spin off rather than the main protagonist of the new trilogy.

Solouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #75
Human Torch
OK,who brought the dog?

I'm not sure if people missed it or not,but in ROTS Palps said Plagueis is dead."He could save others from death but not himself!".So I really don't get why he's even an option.