The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: X-3 sequel or FC sequel?
X-3 8 25.81%
First Class 3 9.68%
Undecided/both 20 64.52%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2013, 01:46 PM   #26
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Default Re: Do you consider DOFP an X3 sequel or a FC sequel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneto23 View Post
People can try to convince themselves otherwise, but its clearly both. I think people are just working themselves up about all this X4 nonsense. Most of the movie will take place in 1973 with the FC characters, Trask, and Wolverine. The X3 cast (excluding wolverine) will not have that much screen time.
I would tend to believe this idea. I just don't think the original cast is going to have as much face time in this movie as people want to believe. Knowing that the majority of the movie takes place in the 70's it just makes sense.

Their roles will certainly be larger than cameo's, but I personally don't think they'll be main players at all like a lot of people here want to think.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #27
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

James Mcavoy has hinted at both Patrick Stewart and Ian Mckellan also taking part In 1973
scenes.There remains possiblty of eather Rogue or Kitty also as time traveler.

At least 30 minutes of film will likely take place In future.And possibly as much as 40 minutes.

Ignoring Mcavoy's comments you Have Young xavier,Young Magneto,Mystique,Wolverine(almost certinly the time travelr) Beast,Trask,Quicksilver,
and Nixon(In at least a couple of scenes) that Is still kinda light compared to all those
In future scenes.And If this was primarly a first Class sequel don't you think some of first Class supporting characters would be back.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #28
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
And If this was primarly a first Class sequel don't you think some of first Class supporting characters would be back.
they are obviously dealing with the relationship angle of the FC, Xavier and mystique/raven, beast and Xavier, beast and mystique, magneto and Xavier, magneto and mystique

apart from Beast and Xavier the rest were relationships looked at in FC and this will obviously continue on from that

they are not just going to be there for nothing

Old 05-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #29
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I wouldn't be so sure they are dealing with Mystique and beast.

Xavier/Magneto and Magneto/Mystique you can be sure of.They may even not deal with too much Xavier/Mystique.It will depend on relaitonships Bryan Singer wants to explore.
And Xavier/Mysique and Mystique/Beast were more Matthew Vaughn Ideas.This Is Singer's film now.Just like Vaughn dropped the Xavier/Moira/Magneto trinagle Singer had In mind for first Class.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #30
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure they are dealing with Mystique and beast.

Xavier/Magneto and Magneto/Mystique you can be sure of.They may even not deal with too much Xavier/Mystique.It will depend on relaitonships Bryan Singer wants to explore.
And Xavier/Mysique and Mystique/Beast were more Matthew Vaughn Ideas.This Is Singer's film now.Just like Vaughn dropped the Xavier/Moira/Magneto trinagle Singer had In mind for first Class.
who says singer didn't like the raven and beast angle? they are both in the film so to just forget about it is silly, after all beast is hiding his appearance and mystique already said he shouldn't have too, so i wouldn't be surprised if there is more there between them

obviously the main 4 have inconnecting relationship somewhere or another, so yeah a sequel

Old 05-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #31
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
If reports of james Marsden on set were correct this hints at 2 possibiltys

1:The Time Travel wipes out some elements of Last Stand and thus at end
Cyclops Is alive
2:The DOFP future with sentinles Is pure alternate future.Cyclops Is part of It but they want to keep It a secret.Thus the time travel plot leads to The Trilogy
and The Wolverine
I took this from the other thread, which is relevant here. If it is option number 2, then you can bring back Cyclops, Xavier, and a powered Magneto into the fold in the future. TLS would conclude the X-Men timeline, and The Wolverine will conclude that character's story. So essentially, DoFP would be a prequel to the OT and a sequel to FC. You can wrap up the franchise and leave it in timeline of TLS. Any future films can take place in the dystopian future whose events have already been undone in the OT. It would be a brilliant move for Singer and the crew.

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #32
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
I took this from the other thread, which is relevant here. If it is option number 2, then you can bring back Cyclops, Xavier, and a powered Magneto into the fold in the future. TLS would conclude the X-Men timeline, and The Wolverine will conclude that character's story. So essentially, DoFP would be a prequel to the OT and a sequel to FC. You can wrap up the franchise and leave it in timeline of TLS. Any future films can take place in the dystopian future whose events have already been undone in the OT. It would be a brilliant move for Singer and the crew.
i think there is many reasons why that is probably wrong, thats very messed up continuity

the future stuff can't be a prequel to OT and i don't think it takes much to work out why

Old 05-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #33
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
i think there is many reasons why that is probably wrong, thats very messed up continuity

it can't be a prequel to OT and i don't think it takes much to work out why
It's messed up because audiences aren't accustomed to a story presentation in such a chronology. Take the Star Wars prequels, which were horrible but that's beside the point. We knew how that story would end so it was kind of anticlimactic (and many fans admitted they could care less about a FC3 vs more movies with the OT people). But this alternate X-Men future would be its own thing. A reboot without being a reboot. I think it is a completely novel cinematic story telling experience without rehashing. There would be no limitations in this alternate future.

Last edited by Mr.M; 05-29-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #34
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's messed up because audiences aren't accustomed to a story presentation in such a chronology. Take the Star Wars prequels, which were horrible but that's beside the point. We knew how that story would end so it was kind of anticlimactic (and many fans admitted they would care less about a FC3 vs more movies with the OT people). But this alternate X-Men future would be its own thing. A reboot without being a reboot. I think it is a completely novel cinematic story telling experience without rehashing. There would be no limitations in this alternate future.
1.On twitter singer already thanked ratner for letting kitty live, meaning it sounds like a continuation of that

2.singer has called it a part sequel to OT in interviews but says its more then that also

3.kitty,iceman and rogue wouldn't be the way they are now if it was a prequel to OT, they are obviously older

4.if rumor is true then The wolverine end scene is a set up for DOFP

Old 05-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #35
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
1.On twitter singer already thanked ratner for letting kitty live, meaning it sounds like a continuation of that
I don't think that's really relevant. He thanked Ratner for not killing everybody, yes, and looked forward to working with Page. I still don't see that as "this is a direct continuation of TLS."

Quote:
2.singer has called it a part sequel to OT in interviews but says its more then that also
Something more? That could easily imply the idea marvelrobbins suggested.

Quote:
3.kitty,iceman and rogue wouldn't be the way they are now if it was a prequel to OT, they are obviously older
I don't think you understand the chronology proposed here. DoFP would be the first X-Men movie in the timeline if this is the case. It just takes place at a time much later in their lives, but it still serves to set things in motion for the OT by altering their own past.

Quote:
4.if rumor is true then The wolverine end scene is a set up for DOFP
And this is the biggest obstacle. What you suggest has been implied; it doesn't mean that the scene will serve that purpose. We know Xavier may have come back in his brother's body, so that alone would solve that. What the purpose of this scene is is anyone's guess.

What we do know is that the future scenes appear to be brief and not the main focus of the film. So how do you propose they explain how we got from the peaceful terms we saw at the end of TLS to this dystopian future with Sentinels in 45 minutes. Too much of a leap to cover all that.

Last edited by Mr.M; 05-29-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #36
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ Why do they even need to explain it at all, particularly if it has its gestation/genesis in 1973 (thus drawing the future characters there)?

I honestly don't think there's been any evidence whatsoever to suggest that this movie is going to in any way invalidate the events of TLS or create an alternate timeline for the X-Franchise going forward; what I do think it's going to do, based on what we know, is 'set the table' not only for at least another film with the FC cast, but also movies involving the X-Trilogy cast. Singer has said he can use DoFP to 'fix some things', but I honestly don't believe that said 'things' - whatever they might be - are going to be so huge so as to completely alter the composition of the franchise as it currently exists.

"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #37
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
^ Why do they even need to explain it at all, particularly if it has its gestation/genesis in 1973 (thus drawing the future characters there)?

I honestly don't think there's been any evidence whatsoever to suggest that this movie is going to in any way invalidate the events of TLS or create an alternate timeline for the X-Franchise going forward; what I do think it's going to do, based on what we know, is 'set the table' not only for at least another film with the FC cast, but also movies involving the X-Trilogy cast. Singer has said he can use DoFP to 'fix some things', but I honestly don't believe that said 'things' - whatever they might be - are going to be so huge so as to completely alter the composition of the franchise as it currently exists.
I agree. As was said, this is a golden opportunity to use Cyclops again and give fans what they want. We know Marsden probably has a cameo and wouldn't need some crazy explanation if this is an alternate future. He may see some action in the brief scenes he has.

What I take issue with is where the franchise would go after this. You have one alternate future where the world has gone to hell. Another future post-TLS where the main characters are dead. Of those two options, what timeline would we rather see continue?

Last edited by Mr.M; 05-29-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #38
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
What I take issue with is where the franchise would go after this. You have one alternate future where the world has gone to hell. Another future post-TLS where the main characters are dead. Of those two options, what timeline would we rather see continue?
What gave you the idea that we'll see two alternate futures in DoFP?

Quote:
We know Marsden probably has a cameo and wouldn't need some crazy explanation if this is an alternate future. He may see some action in the brief scenes he has.
Just because Marsden was spotted flying to Montreal doesn't automatically mean he was going there to film something for DoFP, so it's way too early to say that he has a cameo in the film or that Singer is going to undo either Cyclops' death or, for that matter, Jean's death (as, unless I'm mistaken, everything we know regarding The Wolverine points to Famke's part (cameo or otherwise) coming in the context of a nightmare/dream scenario).

"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
Old 05-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #39
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
What gave you the idea that we'll see two alternate futures in DoFP?
We have a timeline post TLS, and a timeline with Sentinels. These are the only two timelines you'd consider bringing the OT cast back for. So if the alternate future has already been prevented with time travel in DoFP, what's the reason to stick with it? That's why I don't expect the OT cast to EVER return after this. They will be recasted if stories continue post TLS.

Quote:
Just because Marsden was spotted flying to Montreal doesn't automatically mean he was going there to film something for DoFP, so it's way too early to say that he has a cameo in the film or that Singer is going to undo either Cyclops' death or, for that matter, Jean's death (as, unless I'm mistaken, everything we know regarding The Wolverine points to Famke's part (cameo or otherwise) coming in the context of a nightmare/dream scenario).
Absolutely. But it would be the ultimately slap in the face if Cyclops can live in this alternate future yet Fox/Singer choose not to use him. If Marsden is in, he might have a scene in a future battle, and fans would go bonkers at the trailer shot. It's definitely something you would keep under lockdown for as long as humanly possible.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #40
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
I agree. As was said, this is a golden opportunity to use Cyclops again and give fans what they want. We know Marsden probably has a cameo and wouldn't need some crazy explanation if this is an alternate future. He may see some action in the brief scenes he has.

But why just give Cyclops a cameo in an alternate dystopian future where he no doubt ends up annihilated by Sentinels, like every other mutant? If the altered past leads to the original trilogy, Cyclops still ends up dead (vaporised by Phoenix). He just gets a brief moment to shine in the alternate future.

Wouldn't it be better to have him back at the end once an alternate timeline has been formed by tampering with the past?

Old 05-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #41
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
But why just give Cyclops a cameo in an alternate dystopian future where he no doubt ends up annihilated by Sentinels, like every other mutant? If the altered past leads to the original trilogy, Cyclops still ends up dead (vaporised by Phoenix). He just gets a brief moment to shine in the alternate future.

Wouldn't it be better to have him back at the end once an alternate timeline has been formed by tampering with the past?
Altering TLS without altering the entire OT is just not possible. I don't see how they could possibly do it in 1973. Makes no sense. I think they will just have to find a way to explain that Cyclops survived at the end of TLS. Maybe Sinister captured him unconscious while studying Jean's presence at Alkali Lake. This could easily set things in motion for a post-OT trilogy with a new cast. You just have to get creative. What you can't do is undo an entire trilogy just to bring back Jean and Scott for more stories. Once we establish that precedent, there is literally nothing the audiences will take seriously. Everything audiences don't like will be written off as alternate universe that doesn't really happen in the "real" timeline.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #42
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
We have a timeline post TLS, and a timeline with Sentinels. These are the only two timelines you'd consider bringing the OT cast back for. So if the alternate future has already been prevented with time travel in DoFP, what's the reason to stick with it?
You've thoroughly lost me.

Given that Bryan more or less brought back the entirety of the TLS cast, I honestly expect that the future stuff we see will be set in the aftermath of that movie, meaning that whatever timeline 'reset' happens as a result of some of those characters returning to the past will simply undo whatever led to the dystopia, thereby resetting things so that, when they return to the future, they return to a post-TLS future devoid of the things that made it a dystopia. Undoing the events that led to the dystopian future erases that alternate future and replaces it with a new, non-dystopian future.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #43
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:

Given that Bryan more or less brought back the entirety of the TLS cast, I honestly expect that the future stuff we see will be set in the aftermath of that movie, meaning that whatever timeline 'reset' happens as a result of some of those characters returning to the past will simply undo whatever led to the dystopia, thereby resetting things so that, when they return to the future, they return to a post-TLS future devoid of the things that made it a dystopia. Undoing the events that led to the dystopian future erases that alternate future and replaces it with a new, non-dystopian future.
So, on that basis, if the timeline is reset to a non-dystopian future after X3/TLS, then the events of TLS still stand: Beast is still UN ambassador, Cyclops is still vaporised, Xavier is in his braindead twin, Jean is still dead, Storm is still leader of the school, and Wolverine is standing contentedly on the balcony?

Old 05-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #44
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ Not to that degree, but, yes, things would be reset to a non-dystopian post-TLS future that would also be post-TW as well.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #45
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
^ Not to that degree, but, yes, things would be reset to a non-dystopian post-TLS future that would also be post-TW as well.
How so? The premise of The Wolverine is that the school is disbanded and everyone is gone. That is several steps from the end of TLS.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:22 PM   #46
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:

I thoroughly fail to see how any events transpiring after TLS could have remotely led to the dystopian future of Sentinels a mere 8 years later, or whatever time it is. It can't be that long as most of these mutants age normally. No one has provided an answer for that, the answer for which I think is the events preceding Sentinels were halted in 1973 (maybe the X-Men kept schematics for the Danger Room sequence and training purposes). I absolutely think the payoff would be huge if they went this route, and you will not have to erase the trilogy out of existence.

Quote:
How so? The premise of The Wolverine is that the school is disbanded and everyone is gone. That is several steps from the end of TLS.
In fact, the scene at the end of The Wolverine could simply be Logan coming to grips and moving on with his life, by returning to the school and serving as a mentor. It may not be this top secret cliff hanger that is going to put into motion the Sentinels taking over.

Last edited by Mr.M; 05-29-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #47
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Unless you're privy to insider information, all we know is that Wolverine has been on his own for at least a year, meaning that something changed during that year or year+ that caused him to leave and become a loner again. Given that we know he's literally seeing Jean, I'd bet money that he left the school because, despite having made the commitment to help out, he ultimately couldn't deal being in a place so full of reminders of her.

Last edited by DigificWriter; 05-29-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #48
Cherry
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
The last one was The Wolverine, so that's what DOFP is a sequel to. I'm that guy.
Fixed.

Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #49
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
In fact, the scene at the end of The Wolverine could simply be Logan coming to grips and moving on with his life, by returning to the school and serving as a mentor. It may not be this top secret cliff hanger that is going to put into motion the Sentinels taking over.
I meant the foundation on which the film is built, not the ending. At the beginning, Wolverine is drifting all forlorn and shaggy because everyone he loves is gone, that's what Mangold said. How did the end of X3 lead to that? Storm welcomed a whole load of new students.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #50
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Unless you're privy to insider information, all we know is that Wolverine has been on his own for at least a year, meaning that something changed during that year or year+ that caused him to leave and become a loner again. Given that we know he's literally seeing Jean, I'd bet money that he left the school because, despite having made the commitment to help out, he ultimately couldn't deal being in a place so full of reminders of her.
Mangold said: "Where this film sits in the universe of the films is after them all. Jean Grey is gone, most of the X-Men are disbanded or gone, so there's a tremendous sense of isolation for him."