The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: X-3 sequel or FC sequel?
X-3 8 25.81%
First Class 3 9.68%
Undecided/both 20 64.52%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #51
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Default Re: Do you consider DOFP an X3 sequel or a FC sequel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I meant the foundation on which the film is built, not the ending. At the beginning, Wolverine is drifting all forlorn and shaggy because everyone he loves is gone, that's what Mangold said. How did the end of X3 lead to that? Storm welcomed a whole load of new students.
The only people we know Wolverine has ever loved are Kayla and Jean, both of whom ARE dead/gone.
Quote:
Mangold said: "Where this film sits in the universe of the films is after them all. Jean Grey is gone, most of the X-Men are disbanded or gone, so there's a tremendous sense of isolation for him."
Hmm. I'm not sure how literally we can take Mangold's statement after learning that Patrick Stewart apparently filmed a cameo where he meets with Wolverine.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett

Last edited by DigificWriter; 05-29-2013 at 04:03 PM.
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #52
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
^ The only people we know Wolverine has ever loved are Kayla and Jean, both of whom ARE dead/gone.
He didn't remember Kayla so that's out of the picture.

Mangold said: "Where this film sits in the universe of the films is after them all. Jean Grey is gone, most of the X-Men are disbanded or gone, so there's a tremendous sense of isolation for him."

Old 05-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #53
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

well storm couldn't run that school alone =p

Old 05-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #54
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
I meant the foundation on which the film is built, not the ending. At the beginning, Wolverine is drifting all forlorn and shaggy because everyone he loves is gone, that's what Mangold said. How did the end of X3 lead to that? Storm welcomed a whole load of new students.
Quote:
He didn't remember Kayla so that's out of the picture.

I already edited my last post to address that.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
Old 05-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #55
gambitfire
Banned User

This film has X-4 written all over it. It feels like a complete snub to what Vaughn set up. Singer's rehashing Ratner and his own mistakes.

This is the new death to the reboots... the rehash retcon hybrid.

gambitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #56
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

He's not snubbing either of them. Especially not the movie that he produced and came up with the story for.

Mulholland-Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #57
gambitfire
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland '49 View Post
He's not snubbing either of them. Especially not the movie that he produced and came up with the story for.
Well I said it feels like he is, he wouldn't intentionally snub something.
I'm sure as well he had good intentions with Superman Returns... doesn't mean it translated well.

I actually liked SR though but even I could see it's short comings.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #58
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

What does Superman Returns not translating well have to do with anything I just said?

Old 05-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #59
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambitfire View Post
This is the new death to the reboots... the rehash retcon hybrid.
I'm really not sure what you're referring to here, as there hasn't been a reboot of any kind produced with regards to the X-Franchise, despite certain individuals having referred to First Class using the term 'reboot' a time or two in the past.

As for Singer 'snubbing' Vaughn, you do realize that both men worked on developing the story and concept for DoFP together, right?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #60
gambitfire
Banned User

Quote:
What does Superman Returns not translating well have to do with anything I just said?
My mistake I thought you were referring to Singer, just realized you meant Vaughn.

I doubt as a producer he gets the same results or DIRECTION he would have had Directing the project himself.

This rehashing of the old cast and trying to hard to tie it into the old films feels like a snub. Feel free to disagree.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #61
gambitfire
Banned User

Quote:
I'm really not sure what you're referring to here, as there hasn't been a reboot of any kind produced with regards to the X-Franchise, despite certain individuals having referred to First Class using the term 'reboot' a time or two in the past.

As for Singer 'snubbing' Vaughn, you do realize that both men worked on developing the story and concept for DoFP together, right?

yes I do realize this, but that doesn't mean everything is going to come out the way Vaughn may have intended it. You do realize that no?

First Class is arguably a reboot for numerous reasons...

Old 05-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #62
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

I was talking about Singer. You're point about Superman Returns not translating well was still irrelevant to how he is "snubbing" Vaughn and Ratner.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:27 PM   #63
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
This rehashing of the old cast and trying to hard to tie it into the old films feels like a snub. Feel free to disagree.
The fact that Wolverine made a cameo in First Class made it pretty clear that they were staying in the same universe as the original trilogy, not rebooting the series entirely.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #64
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Actually FC didn't try and be a reboot, there is actually alot to connect it to the first XMen movie, it was more a set up for a new bunch of movies in the same continuity

Old 05-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #65
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
yes I do realize this, but that doesn't mean everything is going to come out the way Vaughn may have intended it. You do realize that no?
Seriously? Both Singer AND Vaughn developed the film's story TOGETHER. What happens in the film would have happened even if Vaughn were still directing it. You obviously have a hard-on for Vaughn and are looking for excuses to hate on Singer.

Quote:
First Class is arguably a reboot for numerous reasons...
A reboot that slavishly reproduces a sequence from the first X-Men film and has been explicitly identified as a prequel by Singer and Vaughn. Riiiight.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #66
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Of course I disagree. Your point makes no sense. Wolverine and Rebecca Romijn already made cameos in FC.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #67
gambitfire
Banned User

Quote:
I was talking about Singer. You're point about Superman Returns not translating well was still irrelevant to how he is "snubbing" Vaughn and Ratner.
And I clarified that already didn't I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
The fact that Wolverine made a cameo in First Class made it pretty clear that they were staying in the same universe as the original trilogy, not rebooting the series entirely.
A cameo is a very minor argument. If anything you have a better argument in saying Mystique's stylistic appearance.
I take back the reboot comment as it's going to make everyone feel the need to prove me wrong.
I just feel the objective of First Class was to start a new set of fresh movies within the X-men mythos without having to directly tie into the previous movies.
Hence why I called it a reboot.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #68
gambitfire
Banned User

Quote:
Seriously? Both Singer AND Vaughn developed the film's story TOGETHER. What happens in the film would have happened even if Vaughn were still directing it. You obviously have a hard-on for Vaughn and are looking for excuses to hate on Singer.

A reboot that slavishly reproduces a sequence from the first X-Men film and has been explicitly identified as a prequel by Singer and Vaughn. Riiiight.

Yes I have a raging hard on for Vaughn. You're so insightful and know me so well.
Especially since back in the day I was on here "hating" on Ratner and begging for Singer to return.

I took back the reboot phrase. You know that human error I made. I'm sorry your greatness.

Oh man, I missed the boards...

Old 05-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #69
gambitfire
Banned User

Quote:
Of course I disagree. Your point makes no sense. Wolverine and Rebecca Romijn already made cameos in FC.
and cameos as opposed to actual story solidify continuity?

Look I dropped the reboot thing, but don't sell me on cameos made it continuous.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #70
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

First Class was always intended as a prequel.Seriously keeping things from
trilogy especilly X-Men and X2 wasn't a give away.

With exception of James Bond films give me examples of a reboot which has ties
to original films.The Abrams Star Trek by very nature are disigned to both be contuniation of exsisting franchise with the alternate timeline explantation,Leonard Nimoy as Spock prime.

All signs point for Days of future past to story being devolped By Bryan Singer.
Matthew Vaughn wrote script with SImon Kinberg and apparently jane Goldman.
When Vaughn dropped out as director and took producer's credit and Singer
took over Kinberg rewrote script to match Singer's vision.

OT actors were part of plan for film when Vaughn was directing but Singer taking over led to their enthusim being much greater.

If First Class was reboot why didn't fox cancle the wolverine?

Old 05-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #71
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Yes I have a raging hard on for Vaughn. You're so insightful and know me so well.
Especially since back in the day I was on here "hating" on Ratner and begging for Singer to return.

I took back the reboot phrase. You know that human error I made. I'm sorry your greatness.

Oh man, I missed the boards...
If this is the attitude you're bringing back with you, it will be a short-lived return.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #72
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
A cameo is a very minor argument. If anything you have a better argument in saying Mystique's stylistic appearance.
I take back the reboot comment as it's going to make everyone feel the need to prove me wrong.
I just feel the objective of First Class was to start a new set of fresh movies within the X-men mythos without having to directly tie into the previous movies.
Hence why I called it a reboot.
It's not a minor argument. Two major characters from the original trilogy appeared in FC. The film opened by revisiting the exact scene that opened the first X-Men film. That clearly indicates that the film was intended to exist in the same universe as original trilogy and not a reboot, whether you like it or not.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #73
gambitfire
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
First Class was always intended as a prequel.Seriously keeping things from
trilogy especilly X-Men and X2 wasn't a give away.

With exception of James Bond films give me examples of a reboot which has ties
to original films.The Abrams Star Trek by very nature are disigned to both be contuniation of exsisting franchise with the alternate timeline explantation,Leonard Nimoy as Spock prime.

All signs point for Days of future past to story being devolped By Bryan Singer.
Matthew Vaughn wrote script with SImon Kinberg and apparently jane Goldman.
When Vaughn dropped out as director and took producer's credit and Singer
took over Kinberg rewrote script to match Singer's vision.

OT actors were part of plan for film when Vaughn was directing but Singer taking over led to their enthusim being much greater.

If First Class was reboot why didn't fox cancle the wolverine?
First of all, thank you for responding without the being a jerk. I appreciate that.

I see what you're saying, and you did state that there was a change in the direction of the film.
The film is now re modified to fit singers vision.

Singers direction thus far seems to clearly depict the aftermath of x-3.
I mean are we so certain Vaughn would not have taken liberties with the way it ties in?

I think First Class took plenty of liberties that don't directly tie it into say x-1. It was loosely tied if that makes sense. Cameos aside that is.
For starters the relationship between Raven and Xavier... this woman had no remorse for killing Xavier in x-1 x-2 or his death in x-3...

Old 05-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #74
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
And I clarified that already didn't I?
... No... No you didn't. You randomly brought it up without reason and it had nothing to do with the topic at hand. You said Singer was snubbing Vaughn and Ratner, then you went on to say how Superman Returns didn't translate well. Neither of those points relate to each other at all. Then you brought up how combining the old with the new cast is Singer's has to do with him snubbing the previous film... for some reason.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #75
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think First Class took plenty of liberties that don't directly tie it into say x-1. It was loosely tied if that makes sense. Cameos aside that is.
For starters the relationship between Raven and Xavier... this woman had no remorse for killing Xavier in x-1 x-2 or his death in x-3...
A very plausible change in attitude over a period of anywhere from 40 to 50 years doesn't constitute 'taking plenty of liberties that don't directly tie it into X1', nor does retconning a few details such as how old Xavier was when he met Erik or Erik having helped Xavier build Cerebro.

I also can't help but notice that you've avoided commenting on the fact that First Class slavishly reenacted/reproduced the opening scene sequence from X1 AND the fact that both Singer and Vaughn both explicitly stated that it was a prequel (Singer consistently and repeatedly).

As for 'retracting your comment' about FC being a reboot, you only retracted it after myself and others poked holes in the idea that it rebooted anything.

I might've went too far with my 'raging hard-on' remark, for which I apologize, but you still don't have much of an argument as to how/why FC is a reboot or how Singer 'snubbed' Vaughn since he collaborated with Vaughn in developing the story that Kinberg's script was based on.

Quote:
Quote: