The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > SHH Community Forum

Old 02-14-2014, 02:54 AM   #1
Calavera
Side-Kick

Default can any aspiring writer/screenwriter help me?

in 2007 i started working on something, an idea for a sci fi movie. this thing has been simmering in my head since then and i really want to get it made. what can i do? do i make it a graphic novel? pitch it to a studio?

its animated sci fi movie in the vein of star wars and i want it to come out how i planned it....
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
i dont wanna say the story because i am way too embarassed.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:43 AM   #2
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

Default Re: can any aspiring writer/screenwriter help me?

I'm no expert on this for sure. But I would imagine the first thing you would have to do is to get an agent.

I am fairly certain that if you do not have one, then it will be near on impossible to get people to look at your idea.

Also, you need to get it written down. Even if it is only a few pages long in the form of a synopsis of something similar. Then you have it in writing and it is then automatically your intellectual property. At least, that is what I have been told.

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
RetrogradeOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:04 AM   #3
CBGB
Urban Achiever

right off the bat, if your embarrassed of it enough that you won't post it on the internet it's probably not good and you should stop pursuing the idea.

not trying to put you down or anything, but if you want an idea to get any legs it's got to be your best work possible.

"The reason Hollywood is making such ****ty movies is because when they make great ones, you don't ****ing show up."
~ Guillermo del Toro on 'Scott Pilgrim vs. The World'

Last edited by CBGB; 02-14-2014 at 05:23 AM.
CBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:33 AM   #4
Lord
All Mighty

It's better that you don't post on the Internet since then you won't have to worry about people stealing your idea, i would advise you to write it down and over the years try to make it the best work you can, possibly even showing it to people you trust and get some feedback on the project. About an agent, i'm not sure, isn't that very expensive?

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
:eek:
Side-Kick

Maybe you can start at writing it as a novel and get self published on Amazon or something. And, if succesful there, maybe you can start thinking about a movie adaptation.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

You don't need an agent. Not until you get successful. I pitched plenty of cold scripts to studios and had no trouble getting my foot in the door. It's best that you go to a screenwriter resource, like a simple website or magazine (back in the day, I just subscribed to Screenwriter magazine, and they provided plenty of resources and contacts to producers who were more than willing to look at unsolicited manuscripts), and start from there.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #7
Sundancer
Cynicist

I've written several screenplays.

Learn the structure of a screenplay! Act I, II, II. Flesh out your characters.
triggerstreet.com and Done Deal have great forums. Find if your story works best as a screenplay. I recommend Syd Fields' book.

http://www.amazon.com/Screenplay-Fou...ords=syd+field

It's cheap, anecdotal, and goes over the basics.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #8
LEOZZTT
Side-Kick

Make it round first. Write a solid script. Then you can get someone to do compelling visuals. That's important, considering it's sci-fi. Then assemble a good pitch book. Network. Good luck.

LEOZZTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #9
Calavera
Side-Kick

i have also considered finding an artist and getting it made as a graphic novel. would need money and a artist willing to draw it though

Old 02-26-2014, 04:15 PM   #10
Lunar_Wolf
WTF face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavera View Post
in 2007 i started working on something, an idea for a sci fi movie. this thing has been simmering in my head since then and i really want to get it made. what can i do? do i make it a graphic novel? pitch it to a studio?

its animated sci fi movie in the vein of star wars and i want it to come out how i planned it....
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
i dont wanna say the story because i am way too embarassed.
First off, show your script/story to a few close people. Get feedback, do another draft. Leaving another draft sit away for a few weeks will make you come back to it with fresh eyes and new ideas.

As for pitching it to a studio, that won't happen. Like anything, you need to climb a ladder. Once you start getting writing credits and contacts, then you might get a chance to pitch to a studio.

Keep writing everyday, and read a lot.

Your idea for now, might just be better in graphic novel form. Finding hungry artists is not hard.

Lunar_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #11
Calavera
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar_Wolf View Post
First off, show your script/story to a few close people. Get feedback, do another draft. Leaving another draft sit away for a few weeks will make you come back to it with fresh eyes and new ideas.

As for pitching it to a studio, that won't happen. Like anything, you need to climb a ladder. Once you start getting writing credits and contacts, then you might get a chance to pitch to a studio.

Keep writing everyday, and read a lot.

Your idea for now, might just be better in graphic novel form. Finding hungry artists is not hard.
i logged into this site to make a thread asking for an artist and how much they would cost.

been checking around tumblr too