The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Guardians of the Galaxy > Guardians of the Galaxy

Old 06-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #51
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Default Re: The Benicio Del Toro Thread - Who Is He Playing?

Hey, Don Cheadle was in Traffic. Kind of cool how he and Del Toro are both now a part of the MCU.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #52
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamAdams View Post
What about Korvac? It would make sense that he could be set up in Guardians and then face off against the Avengers. And he was married to Carina, the Collector's daughter, who has been cast

We only know that Ophelia Lovibond has been cast as an aide to Lee Pace. One blogger speculated that Pace was playing The Collector, which would make Lovibond likely to be Carina, but that's sheer speculation based on nothing. (In more recent days, Pace was stated to be signed on for a spinoff film, playing a villain initially and later becoming a hero; so speculation has turned to more likely roles such as Nova or Adam Warlock.)

As for BDT, I'm obviously throwing my lot in whole-heartedly with my lovely avatar's namesake, Thanos; but devil's advocate, I consider Adam Warlock, Nova, or Ronan slight possibilities, too.

(Dammit, *somebody's* gotta be Nova and Warlock, among all those names that have dropped in the last day or two. )

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #53
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
After re-reading the story on Deadline, I'm not sure he's playing a villain, maybe a future hero Feige wants to use (Dr. Strange perhaps?)
I think you might be onto something. I'm still leaning Thanos, but I like your thinking.

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #54
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Good casting!

"Will you control that power or let it control you." - X3
"Is the future truly set?" - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #55
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Wait

I thought they already had an actor for Thanos

What happened to that guy who played him at the end of Avengers ?

Just_Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #56
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

He's a stunt actor who they only hired for that one shot. He was never locked in to play Thanos.

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:47 AM   #57
Adder
Side-Kick

if Del Toro is in fact playing Thanos I hope at most it's just the voice and perhaps facial capture to sync his voice and expressions to the CGI face.

I really don't want to see Del Toro's facial features on the Thanos design.

Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:50 AM   #58
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Wut. They can use practical make up to completely transform him.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:39 AM   #59
Silvermoth
Avenger

Benicio is such a talent but I wouldn't of thought of him as playing an old romantic, which Thanos is a little bit of.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:50 AM   #60
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
Benicio is such a talent but I wouldn't of thought of him as playing an old romantic, which Thanos is a little bit of.
I know Thanos has his own personal angst to him (as far as what I've read in his series going on currently, don't know too much about the character itself as a whole), but I'd almost rather just have him be seen as a terrorizing menace who's only real goal is to own the entire universe and kill anyone and anything in his way, not one who is doing all this to cope with who he is, or trying to please Death. But then again maybe that's what makes the character so good, both sides of the coin I suppose.

I don't think he'll have any personal vendetta vs. the Avengers or Guardians or any other team/race but they basically get in the way of his need to rule everything so he decides thinks he can just take them out with ease as always and move onto the next place, but bites off more than he can chew.

Although not confirmed I love that BDT is in this movie and presumably Thanos, especially after his near Khan casting, I'm curious to see what he can bring to a full fledged terrifying villain who's probably going to be around for awhile.

eeee the MCU makes me giddy, all this awesome winter solider stuff, the seemingly day to day GotG casting, and Thor2 coming on the horizon. I can't even wrap my head around what they heck's going to happen in Avengers 2! haha

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
mkilban2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:56 AM   #61
Adder
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Wut. They can use practical make up to completely transform him.
then you have the problem of him being too small. particularly in the muscle department.

Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:11 AM   #62
Mr. Dent
Banned User

With shoes on he will be fine. As long as he's Drax's height it's fine.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #63
SpideyFan866
Hero Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post
He's a stunt actor who they only hired for that one shot. He was never locked in to play Thanos.
This.

However, I am expecting something similar to what was done with The Silver Surfer in F4: Rise of the Silver Surfer.

In that movie, Doug Jones was the character model for The Surfer and also did the motions while Laurence Fishburne voiced him.

I think that in this case, we'll see Damien Potier's Thanos look as the character model while the mocap for it and voice is done by Del Toro.

SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #64
SpideyFan866
Hero Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
then you have the problem of him being too small. particularly in the muscle department.
This.

While practical makeup is fine for a quickshot where you only see his shoulders up, once you start seeing his actual proportions in comparison to other characters, cg has to be used.

Thanos is about the same size as the Hulk in the comics (EDIT: I just checked the Wiki and he's 8'9". Taller than the rest Avengers and, again, just about the same height as Hulk), so he needs to be done in CGI, using the same methods as they use for the Hulk.

Last edited by SpideyFan866; 06-04-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #65
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
This.

While practical makeup is fine for a quickshot where you only see his shoulders up, once you start seeing his actual proportions in comparison to other characters, cg has to be used.

Thanos is about the same size as the Hulk in the comics (EDIT: I just checked the Wiki and he's 8'9". Taller than the rest Avengers and, again, just about the same height as Hulk), so he needs to be done in CGI, using the same methods as they use for the Hulk.
Then why not do the same thing they did with Ruffalo and mold Thanos around Del Toro?

If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
Old 06-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #66
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
This.

I've seen references to Thanos as being 6'7", and with Del Toro a decent sized actor at 6'1", giving him another half a foot through staging and so forth shouldn't be a big deal.

And to me Thanos, like Odin, requires an actor with presence rather than comic-accurate height and weight. Anthony Hopkins has been a fantastic Odin despite being a foot shorter than the enormous All Father as depicted in Marvel comics. In the comics Thanos has pounded on monstrous sized foes like Drax and The Hulk despite a size disadvantage, and having Del Toro pound on a beast like Bautista on screen would confirm to the audience what comic fans have known for decades about the Mad Titan.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #67
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:
Then why not do the same thing they did with Ruffalo and mold Thanos around Del Toro?
Here's the problem, and I am curious as to how they are going to solve it. If they go this route, then you basically have three completely CGI characters (Thanos, Groot, RR). That is going to be tremendously expensive. I think I'd rather they do something like this. For close up shots, use prosthetics on BdT, but on wider shots that include other characters use a character actor like Robert Maillet, someone who is really huge to establish the scale of Thanos, while BdT still does the voice.

Of course, if Thanos is not in this film very much, then maybe they can afford to go all CGI. We shall see.

OB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #68
SpideyFan866
Hero Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
Because they already have an established look for Thanos.

At least, facially.

It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to change that now.

But then again, if they can have (technically) 3 different actors play Banner and 2 actors play Rhodey, I guess its okay.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #69
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

I mean we only saw half of his face in a post credit scene, I wouldn't call that essentially established. Most people still have no clue who that is in that scene anyways.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #70
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB12 View Post
Here's the problem, and I am curious as to how they are going to solve it. If they go this route, then you basically have three completely CGI characters (Thanos, Groot, RR). That is going to be tremendously expensive. I think I'd rather they do something like this. For close up shots, use prosthetics on BdT, but on wider shots that include other characters use a character actor like Robert Maillet, someone who is really huge to establish the scale of Thanos, while BdT still does the voice.

Of course, if Thanos is not in this film very much, then maybe they can afford to go all CGI. We shall see.
Yeah CGI costs could get pretty expensive, hopefully they've got the confidence to give this movie a big fat budget. But I also don't think Thanos is playing a very large roll in this movie, it's just probably going to bridge him into Avengers 2.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #71
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

I strongly doubt there's going to be a lot of scenes with Thanos sharing space with other characters. At least not until TA2, when the knockdown-dragouts begin, and the budget will compensate accordingly.

Also, Poitier has not "defined" the character; he was just a quick profile shot, without any dialogue. It's not going to be any more jarring to see BDT as Thanos (still assuming he *is* Thanos....) than it was to see Ruffalo/Hulk with new actors in the roles.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #72
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Why would they mocap Thanos? It doesn't make sense, it's not necessary at all. They aren't even mocapping Gamora, Drax, or Winter Soldier's arm.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #73
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

Yeah, just cuz he's bigger doesn't necessitate an entirely CG creation. Digital effects like those used in the LOTR films can be utilized to basically "blow up" the actor to a larger size. I'm sure they'll need some CG to fill out the character, but BdT can be draped in prosthetics and everything will look fine.

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #74
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Why would they mocap Thanos? It doesn't make sense, it's not necessary at all. They aren't even mocapping Gamora, Drax, or Winter Soldier's arm.
They would mocap him because if it's Del Toro, he is going to be almost half a foot shorter than drax. That looks weird. He would need muscle, and idk about a muscle suit

Old 06-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #75
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Batista is not actually 6''6', that's just one of those BS listings athletes put on their physicals. He's close to 6''2'-6''3. With boots on you're not going to be able to tell the difference in height between BdT and Batista. The might touch the character up with CGI, but that doesn't require he be completely mocapped.