The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: Are the screening responses a good sign for MOS?
Yes. 46 73.02%
No. 2 3.17%
I don't think they mean much. 15 23.81%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #51
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: TMOS Review & Speculation Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
I don't get this 'Superman Don't Kill' ... The Donner's superman kills, SR kills, even in the cartoons he kills... in the cartoons more direct, blasting entire ships, etc...

So, what's the problem here? A superman that doesn't kill in any situation is not a very smart superman. There are genuinely evil guys out there...
1. When did he kill in the cartoons? You mean the parademons? Well I'd argue that they weren't really sentient beings to begin with.

2. Ironically enough, for the Donner one, it was written and filmed that he didn't kill the Kryptonians, but for some reason, the choice was made to cut out the scene at the end that would have shown that the Kryptonians weren't murdered by Superman and Lois.

2. He didn't really kill them directly; I mean, it was their fault for being there to begin with and he couldn't have known that they'd be smashed up like that.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #52
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamMcGuire View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

1. To be honest... he panics. People are about to die horribly in front of him, and he makes a snap decision (pun intended). He was holding onto him; pinning him down. Why didn't he just fly away? Because he panicked.

2. Jor El DOES die on Krypton, but not from the usual causes.

3. The film never suggests he gets his powers from the suit. It is quite explicit that it is combination of the yellow sun; gravity; and Earth's atmosphere that gives him his powers.

"Welcome to the planet, Clark."
"I'm happy to be here, Lois."

MAN OF STEEL

Mind if I ask a few questions as well?

1. Does Lois know Clark and Superman are one and the same by the end of the film?

2. Are there any references to Nolan's Batman specifically?

Old 06-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #53
Knightstalker
Boy Wonder

I don't mind it too much if Superman kills Zod, after all, he needs a catalyst for vowing to never kill. Having done it once already, he swears to himself to never take another life again.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #54
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:

1. To be honest... he panics. People are about to die horribly in front of him, and he makes a snap decision (pun intended). He was holding onto him; pinning him down. Why didn't he just fly away? Because he panicked.

2. Jor El DOES die on Krypton, but not from the usual causes.

3. The film never suggests he gets his powers from the suit. It is quite explicit that it is combination of the yellow sun; gravity; and Earth's atmosphere that gives him his powers.

"Welcome to the planet, Clark."
"I'm happy to be here, Lois."

MAN OF STEEL

thanks, man. much appreciated.

1. You said people are about to die, that's why Superman panics and snaps Zod's neck. Could you describe the situation a bit more, please? Why were they going to die? Was it Zod pinning Superman down or Superman pinning Zod? And what was Superman's reaction after killing Zod?

2. Also, it has been said that Clark's FOS is a scout ship piloted by an ancestor. The prequel comic shows that it was Kara/Supergirl. Is Kara hinted at or show at all in the film? If so, is she alive or dead?

thanks again.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 06-04-2013, 12:06 AM   #55
moviefan!
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm sorry moviefan! but to me, as a reviewer, those themes and the retelling of the Superman myth are much more important than the action scenes since I can't represent how visceral they were in print. I took pains to say they were great, but I felt an obligation to my fellow super fans to talk about thematic concerns only... until my IRL buddies have seen it and we can discuss specific plot elements.

It's the most awkward review I've ever done, to be sure.
The point was the journey from Krypton to the ending of the movie is in Origin terms an establishment of characters. From what I was told the movie goes straight to the point rather than budge around character specifics like the origin and that I guess does not work for you and others but it works for me and others. I don't look at Supes 1 with nostalgia, I look at it with fondness but the need to make it in todays elements, like Nolans BB, straight the point no sideways thing. That is Nolans way of establishing character, cut the noise even if some find it nice and get straight for the jugular.

The reason why TDKR is the weakest of the 3 is they added a lot of sideways characteristics which were NOT needed unlike BB and TDK

Old 06-04-2013, 12:16 AM   #56
moviefan!
Side-Kick

But I am sure there will be others who feel the same way as you did about the contrast.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #57
WilliamMcGuire
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Mind if I ask a few questions as well?

1. Does Lois know Clark and Superman are one and the same by the end of the film?

2. Are there any references to Nolan's Batman specifically?

1. Well she knows Clark is an alien the first time she meets him. Her putting the name "Clark Kent" together with the alien who saved her is basically how the second act begins. The real Clark Kent doesn't appear until the final scene.

2. The Wayne logo on the satellite is the same from the Nolan trilogy.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #58
WilliamMcGuire
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
thanks, man. much appreciated.

1. You said people are about to die, that's why Superman panics and snaps Zod's neck. Could you describe the situation a bit more, please? Why were they going to die? Was it Zod pinning Superman down or Superman pinning Zod? And what was Superman's reaction after killing Zod?

2. Also, it has been said that Clark's FOS is a scout ship piloted by an ancestor. The prequel comic shows that it was Kara/Supergirl. Is Kara hinted at or show at all in the film? If so, is she alive or dead?

thanks again.

1. At the end of the epic final fight Superman and Zod drop into a museum. Zod is either exhausted or he just wants to die at this point. He sees humans in the museum, and he says he can still kill (or something to that effect) his eyes light up. Superman has him pinned, but he launches heat vision at the helpless humans (who never run in the other direction). Superman grabs his head in an effort to pull his eyes away, they do a hitchcock bit with the eye lasers and then Superman panics and snaps him. His eyes go dead. Superman is beside himself.

Putting a guy like Superman in a situation where HE HAS TO KILL is the definition of contrivance. I counted six solutions that involved no murder, but Cavill's face clearly registers panic and then great regret. His immediate reaction is crying and screaming.

2. it could have happened off camera, but I didn't catch any mentions.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #59
Gavan
Side-Kick

If he's panicking (and the humans are frozen with fear) it doesn't sound contrived to me. Just goes to show he's not perfect and to be human is to be fallible.

It's a far cry from how Darth Vader snaps people's necks, from execution via Kryptonite he subjected one version of Zod to, and from the implied death by pit in Superman II.

The truly important thing is feeling remorse afterward and swearing not to do it again.

Last edited by Gavan; 06-04-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:33 AM   #60
Big McLargehuge
Newbie First Class

Quote:

1. Well she knows Clark is an alien the first time she meets him. Her putting the name "Clark Kent" together with the alien who saved her is basically how the second act begins. The real Clark Kent doesn't appear until the final scene.

Ooh, I have one:

Is Jenny Olsen replacing Jimmy Olsen, or are they simply related characters?

Also, does Zod's arrival prompt Clark to don the suit for the first time?

Thanks!

Old 06-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #61
WilliamMcGuire
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavan View Post
If he's panicking (and the humans are frozen with fear) it doesn't sound contrived to me. Just goes to show he's not perfect.

It's a far cry from how Darth Vader does it, and a far cry from execution with Kryptonite he subjected one version of Zod to.
It is, by no means as bad as that. I do find it a little silly that the writers have to put him in a situation like that. I MUST KILL/OH NO WHAT HAVE I DONE? It's very...un Superman.

Say what you want about the Byrne story (and Byrne's Superman) but he was competent. He killed the three because he felt like it was the right thing to do, and had to live with it. it's disapointing to have a Superman who couldn't think his way out of that. Not the Superman I would have written, for sure.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #62
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:

Thank you.

1. I'm a bit confused. Does Lois know Clark is Superman or not? What do you mean by the real Clark showing up?

2. Well, silly me for thinking WB wasn't going to get greedy and use a rebooted Batman that fits in better with the Justice League. Unless there are more Batman references (are there?)

Thanks again.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:37 AM   #63
WilliamMcGuire
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Ooh, I have one:

Is Jenny Olsen replacing Jimmy Olsen, or are they simply related characters?

Also, does Zod's arrival prompt Clark to don the suit for the first time?

Thanks!

1. She's not Jenny Olsen. no connection. She never even makes a coffee run!

2. Zod arrives is the next big beat after he gets the suit.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:39 AM   #64
Gavan
Side-Kick

Quote:
It is, by no means as bad as that. I do find it a little silly that the writers have to put him in a situation like that. I MUST KILL/OH NO WHAT HAVE I DONE? It's very...un Superman.

Say what you want about the Byrne story (and Byrne's Superman) but he was competent. He killed the three because he felt like it was the right thing to do, and had to live with it. it's disapointing to have a Superman who couldn't think his way out of that. Not the Superman I would have written, for sure.
Well, this Superman is still a rookie... much more so than Reeve's who had 12 years of tutoring in the Fortress by Jor-El himself (or close enough). I take it that doesn't happen in this one, because it's not in any version of the comic origins....

Questions about a bugbear:

Is Jonathan always against Clark using his powers? Doesn't this clash with everything else he says about deciding one's purpose in life, especially when one has the potential to change the world? How does this affect his death?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Gavan; 06-04-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:41 AM   #65
moviefan!
Side-Kick

OMG are you guys going to watch the movie or have someone tell you every detail

Old 06-04-2013, 12:42 AM   #66
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefan! View Post
Exactly what I'm thinking, lmao. What's the point in the hype if you need every detail of the movie spoon-fed to you? It's 9 damn days away lol.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:42 AM   #67
Manosman
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefan! View Post
I have a question, will you do a play by play from beginning to the end, I want every detail.....JK

Old 06-04-2013, 12:43 AM   #68
Superman Prime
The Quantum Enigma

Quote:
Funny, coming from the poster most invested with McGuire at this point.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #69
WilliamMcGuire
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Thank you.

1. I'm a bit confused. Does Lois know Clark is Superman or not? What do you mean by the real Clark showing up?

2. Well, silly me for thinking WB wasn't going to get greedy and use a rebooted Batman that fits in better with the Justice League. Unless there are more Batman references (are there?)

Thanks again.

The traditional Clark Kent/Superman dynamic isn't present in this movie. He doesn't get the name until the third act (Lois even calls him Clark in costume at one point), and there's not a difference in personality except that he now knows where he comes from. He wants to help people from the first non Krypton scene in the film. The last scene is the creation of the Clark Kent we know and love.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #70
InJustice
Side-Kick

Quote:

1. She's not Jenny Olsen. no connection. She never even makes a coffee run!

2. Zod arrives is the next big beat after he gets the suit.

I actually have a question due to some thinking

Does Jor-El get killed by Zod, or does he die as Krypton dies?

Old 06-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #71
moviefan!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
im most invested in the differing views of contrasting supes 1 to now. thats all. im not asking every detail I want some surprise

Old 06-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #72
echostation
Banned User

William McGuire, Can you please tell me if Faora puts a major beat down on Superman, like does she get to really beat the hell out of him?

Old 06-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #73
WilliamMcGuire
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
I don't know what this means, but I don't like the sound of it.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:51 AM   #74
WilliamMcGuire
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavan View Post
Well, this Superman is still a rookie... much more so than Reeve's who had 12 years of tutoring in the Fortress by Jor-El himself (or close enough). I take it that doesn't happen in this one, because it's not in any version of the comic origins....

Questions about a bugbear:

Is Jonathan always against Clark using his powers? Doesn't this clash with everything else he says about deciding one's purpose in life, especially when one has the potential to change the world? How does this affect his death?

Thanks a lot.

Jonathan does mention that he has to choose what kind of man he wants to be, but yeah he's VERY AGAINST him being revealed to the world, and is willing to sacrifice his life to that end.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:53 AM   #75
WilliamMcGuire
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by InJustice View Post
I actually have a question due to some thinking

Does Jor-El get killed by Zod, or does he die as Krypton dies?
Jor El dies by Zod's hand. They are implied to be old friends.

Closed Thread