The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 04:17 AM   #26
sup101
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

You can kinda tell it's not his natural voice.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:19 AM   #27
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

How is that weak acting? The chemistry and tension between them is oozing.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:25 AM   #28
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Cavill's first two lines = weak. As are his scenes in the FOS that we've seen so far. He looks great in all other clips. But he's easily the worst actor of the main group so some mediocre spots are to be expected. Of course say this in a nest of a fanboys and you'll get jumped on. Whatever. Deal with it.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:25 AM   #29
sup101
Side-Kick

Yall better not get mad about people picking on his acting, because it won't be the last time.Wait until the embargo lifts.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:25 AM   #30
dante2012
Side-Kick

I've seen the movie! Henry was great in it and is the best superman by far. Judge the acting once you seen the whole movie.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:27 AM   #31
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante2012 View Post
I've seen the movie! Henry was great in it and is the best superman by far. Judge the acting once you seen the whole movie.
You keep saying you did but so far you haven't posted a single proof or said anything (before all the spoilers came in) that would indicate you did. Who are you anyway?

Old 06-05-2013, 04:30 AM   #32
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup101 View Post
Yall better not get mad about people picking on his acting, because it won't be the last time.Wait until the embargo lifts.
Exactly. There's going to be a fair share of critics who wont exactly highly praise him as the greatest thing since sliced bread. And by the looks of it every single review that has anything negative towards Cavill will be picked apart and the critics resume inspected all the way back to his high school paper reports.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:30 AM   #33
ModusPonens
Side-Kick

Quote:

Do you mind if I ask you a few questions? I asked this to ThePowerCosmic, as well:

1. Where do you rank it among other superhero movies?

2. Where do you think the general audience will rank it among other superhero movies?

3. What do you think it will get on Rotten Tomatoes?

Old 06-05-2013, 04:31 AM   #34
Superman Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
You keep saying you did but so far you haven't posted a single proof or said anything (before all the spoilers came in) that would indicate you did. Who are you anyway?
Never mind Dante. WilliamMcGuire and Ozymandias provided strong evidence of having watched the film and praised Cavill in their reviews.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #35
ModusPonens
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
Never mind Dante. WilliamMcGuire and Ozymandias provided strong evidence of having watched the film and praised Cavill in their reviews.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 06-05-2013, 04:35 AM   #36
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
I know. And I've praised and supported Cavill all along myself but If I see a weak or awkward acting here and there I point it out. Some may call it nitpicking, I call it calling it like I see it. I know he'll be a fantastic Supes but it's not going to be a flawless performance (like say, CR's was in S:TM or Shannon's will be in MOS) or even without it's cringeworthy moment or two.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:36 AM   #37
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

"I think he's kinda hot" followed by a shot of Clark literally on fire; I see what you did there WB.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:37 AM   #38
dante2012
Side-Kick

G.Godfrey that's your opinion. To be honest you have always been negative towards Henry Cavill. A huge amount of people I've spoken to have loved his portrayel and is being praised by fellow superherohype members aswell.

He is not the weak link and is just as good as Shannon & Crowe were in thier roles. If Cavill was rubbish this movie would be ruined but he really surprised me how great he was. I thought he was good in the tudors but he was born to play superman and gave a wonderful performance.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:42 AM   #39
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
I call it calling it like I see it.
Well, I call it like I see it, too. And I see solid acting and chemistry. So, opinions and all that.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:44 AM   #40
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
G.Godfrey that's your opinion. To be honest you have always been negative towards Henry Cavill.
Ok, this I wont have. Outright lies and false accusations. If you're angry because I exposed you as a liar who really didn't see the movie that's no reason for you to start spewing nonsense. If I had time I'd post all my dozens post where I supported and praised Cavill. But I don't so I challenge you to find where I was negative. You'll only find two, when TV spot 1 came out and this clip. The rest I did nothing but defend and support Cavill, even giving long posts about why he'll be a great Supes back in the 创He's easily replaceable`` days.

So, two lies in a row you decided to announce. Any others?

Quote:
He is not the weak link and is just as good as Shannon & Crowe were in thier roles. If Cavill was rubbish this movie would be ruined but he really surprised me how great he was. I thought he was good in the tudors but he was born to play superman and gave a wonderful performance.
Post the proof that you've seen this movie. Based on your post history and the fact that you haven't shared a single clue that you did see it is pretty obvious you didn't. Anyway, I don't care. That's all I'll say on this subject. And I never said Cavill is rubbish. And if you think he'll be as good as Shannon, well, ok then.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:51 AM   #41
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sup101 View Post
Of course, but someone picking on two lines out of context is rather ridiculous.

Folks did the same for Anne Hathaway's Selina Kyle when we first saw short clips of her performance. "Fake!" "Unnatural!" "Terrible!" After seeing TDKR in its entirety, a whole lot of people thought she was the best thing in it. The clips weren't faked - we just hadn't seen what she'd done with the part, and the clip in context.

At least see the movie first before you start throwing barbs, yeesh.

Or at least 5 minutes of the movie. I only needed to see the 5-minute preview of The Happening to know how bad the acting was gonna be.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:53 AM   #42
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
Of course, but someone picking on two lines out of context is rather ridiculous.

Folks did the same for Anne Hathaway's Selina Kyle when we first saw short clips of her performance. "Fake!" "Unnatural!" "Terrible!" After seeing TDKR in its entirety, a whole lot of people thought she was the best thing in it. The clips weren't faked - we just hadn't seen what she'd done with the part, and the clip in context.

At least see the movie first before you start throwing barbs, yeesh.

Or at least 5 minutes of the movie. I only needed to see the 5-minute preview of The Happening to know how bad the acting was gonna be.
Well said, Anita. I love it when people express doubt and it ends up being the exact opposite.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - Alice 2
Old 06-05-2013, 04:56 AM   #43
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post

Well, for me her 创I'm adaptable`` line (won't even mention a few others )was as cringeworthy and bad in the movie as in the clip/tv spot whatever that was, so yeah, it's not ridiculous at all. Context doesn't matter if I think an actors line delivery and facial mannerisms (as in Cavills case) are weak and awkward, or yes, unnatural.

On the other hand, nobody complained when I praised Cavill's accent and delivery of the 创You're afraid of me because you can't control me`` line. Nope. Nobody came in and said 创Hey! You can't judge how good they are from just one line! It's ridiculous``. Nope, not a single person. Fanboy hypocrisy. Don't worry, I'm guilty of it too sometimes.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #44
matt47
Side-Kick

Could someone please post the link to the zod/jor el video thats from those gifs?

Old 06-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #45
ArmsHeldOut
Peak Human

Quote:
I know. And I've praised and supported Cavill all along myself but If I see a weak or awkward acting here and there I point it out. Some may call it nitpicking, I call it calling it like I see it. I know he'll be a fantastic Supes but it's not going to be a flawless performance (like say, CR's was in S:TM or Shannon's will be in MOS) or even without it's cringeworthy moment or two.
I doubt that Cavill or Shannon (regardless of how experienced he may be) will give a completely "flawless" performance in this film. I'll wait until I see the movie in entirety to weigh in more on that though.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #46
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

I had zero interest in this film before Christmas, I have a slight memory of Superman Returns and remember pretty much nothing of Donner so I'm pretty much the opposite of a Superman fanboy. I still however wouldn't judge an actor based on a 30 second clip that really wasn't that bad. His british accent slipped. Well so did Gary Oldman's in the DK trilogy and he gave some of the best performances in those films.

Obviously comparing the two would be stupid however it's hardly weak. Who knows by that point in the film we may be routing for Supes so much that he could turn into Taylor Lautner and we still wouldn't give a ****. So far the Hype member who saw the film said that Cavill gave the best performance and when you are in a film with Costner, Lane, Crowe, Shannon and Adams he must do something pretty special.

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #47
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
I doubt that Cavill or Shannon (regardless of how experienced he may be) will give a completely "flawless" performance in this film. I'll wait until I see the movie in entirety to weigh in more on that though.
Well Shannon is usually flawless in everything he does and imo by far the most impressive of the cast from what we've seen so far. Even that new clip with Russell, though without sound, obviously has some awesome acting.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:02 AM   #48
dante2012
Side-Kick

Soz i missed type! Godfrey I forgot to type in 'have been negative towards Henry Cavill at times'. My English is not the best

I have been lurking on the boards for ages and I have signed earlier and not just this week. To be honest why would i need to prove anything its only a film and why are you attacking me and calling me a liar.

I also did not say u thought Cavill rubbish cause i was talking it in general.
Cause if Cavill was boring, stiff and lame in the role like Routh was MOS would be a weaker film.

Have a chill pill dude and everyone's has different opinions.

I love Michael Shannon (He Amazing in take shelter) as an actor and he was perfect as Zod. To me Cavill was the perfect as superman so what wrong with comparing that?

Old 06-05-2013, 05:08 AM   #49
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
I love Michael Shannon (He Amazing in take shelter) as an actor and he was perfect as Zod. To me Cavill was the perfect as superman so what wrong with comparing that?
Nothing wrong with that. Cavill will probably be a perfect (or near perfect) Superman for me too, even if I think his performance is...weird at times. I just like dissecting every frame of new footage. I thought people would be used to that by now.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:10 AM   #50
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Well, for me her 创I'm adaptable`` line (won't even mention a few others )was as cringeworthy and bad in the movie as in the clip/tv spot whatever that was, so yeah, it's not ridiculous at all. Context doesn't matter if I think an actors line delivery and facial mannerisms (as in Cavills case) are weak and awkward, or yes, unnatural.

On the other hand, nobody complained when I praised Cavill's accent and delivery of the 创You're afraid of me because you can't control me`` line. Nope. Nobody came in and said 创Hey! You can't judge how good they are from just one line! It's ridiculous``. Nope, not a single person. Fanboy hypocrisy. Don't worry, I'm guilty of it too sometimes.
Well not everyone can be Oscar-caliber Heath Ledger here.

And nobody said Cavill was going to be Ledger-level from what we've seen so far. (Hell, we knew Ledger was going to be something special, but not...THAT, even from the trailers.) From trailers, all you can tell is if the acting is serviceable or if they're phoning it in. If it isn't even serviceable in a trailer then yeah, that's a baaad sign, but Cavill's acting is at least serviceable, from what we've seen. And so was Hathaway's, cause at least you could tell she was going somewhere with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserana View Post
Obviously comparing the two would be stupid however it's hardly weak. Who knows by that point in the film we may be routing for Supes so much that he could turn into Taylor Lautner and we still wouldn't give a ****. So far the Hype member who saw the film said that Cavill gave the best performance and when you are in a film with Costner, Lane, Crowe, Shannon and Adams he must do something pretty special.
I watched New Moon (Rifftrax) for the first time recently and...no. Cavill will never be as terrible as Taylor Lautner.