The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 04:11 AM   #51
dante2012
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 138
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

Hi ModusPonens,

Ill answer your questions man.

1. Where do you rank it among other superhero movies?

Best is MOS at 10/10 then TDK at 9.5/10.

2. Where do you think the general audience will rank it among other superhero movies?

One of the best superhero movies ever and one of the best films period.

3. What do you think it will get on Rotten Tomatoes?

I think between 87% to 95%! I loved it and the reactions have been glowing and very positive so far from normal people and fellow hypesters too.

dante2012 is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:11 AM   #52
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite
 
G.Godfrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,858
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

Anyway, since Shannon is going to be on Letterman next Monday, I bet we'll get that clip with Russell then. Or perhaps that clip from the 13 minute featurette (Duty to my people line).

G.Godfrey is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:16 AM   #53
ArmsHeldOut
The Voice of Reason
 
ArmsHeldOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Norah O'Donnell's bed/Western Massachusetts
Posts: 6,360
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
Well Shannon is usually flawless in everything he does..
.. in your opinion. Even the best actors can give weak performances -- especially if you have bad dialogue to work with; and superhero/action films aren't known for the best dialogue. Cate Blanchett, for example, I think is an amazing actress, but her performance in Indiana Jones was downright forgettable. Either way, suggesting that any actor/actress will deliver a perfect performance without even seeing the film for yourself falls more into the realm of faith than reason.

ArmsHeldOut is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:16 AM   #54
ModusPonens
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 405
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante2012 View Post
Hi ModusPonens,

Ill answer your questions man.

1. Where do you rank it among other superhero movies?

Best is MOS at 10/10 then TDK at 9.5/10.

2. Where do you think the general audience will rank it among other superhero movies?

One of the best superhero movies ever and one of the best films period.

3. What do you think it will get on Rotten Tomatoes?

I think between 87% to 95%! I loved it and the reactions have been glowing and very positive so far from normal people and fellow hypesters too.

Thanks! I really hope you're right!

ModusPonens is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:16 AM   #55
dante2012
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 138
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

Lets get this straight guys Cavill was not Oscar worthy but he was great and gave one of his best performances in mos and i just connected with him. Shanon was chilling and menacing and scared me (Hell scared me in Broadwalk empire aswell lol!)

dante2012 is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:17 AM   #56
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite
 
G.Godfrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,858
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
Well not everyone can be Oscar-caliber Heath Ledger here.

And nobody said Cavill was going to be Ledger-level from what we've seen so far. (Hell, we knew Ledger was going to be something special, but not...THAT, even from the trailers.) From trailers, all you can tell is if the acting is serviceable or if they're phoning it in. If it isn't even serviceable in a trailer then yeah, that's a baaad sign, but Cavill's acting is at least serviceable, from what we've seen.
Cavill looks and sounds great in most of the shots and so far there hasn't been a single bad word about him from these latest screenings, only good to great so I'm pretty confident about him. Remember a few months ago when he was 创Painful to watch`` and 创Easily replacable`` ? Yeah, that was a depressing time on the hype.

Side-note - It's funny how Russell said Cavill is 创the highest caliber actor who ever played this role`` but also admited he never saw any of the previous Superman films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
And so was Hathaway's, cause at least you could tell she was going somewhere with it.
Oh don't get me wrong, I thought Anne was a very good Selina for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
I watched New Moon (Rifftrax) for the first time recently and...no. Cavill will never be as terrible as Taylor Lautner.
Slow down now, no need to compare Cavill to the bottom of the pile! I don't think Snyder and co. would cast someone as bad as that for their Superman.

G.Godfrey is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:20 AM   #57
dante2012
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 138
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

Cavill will continue to grow and improve as an actor but he naturally charming and a hard worker. Hell i did not think Shannon was great in 8 Mile !lol! But when i saw broadwalk empire, then take sheltor and his other movies hes now one my fave actors now and i think hes a fantastic actor alround.

dante2012 is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:22 AM   #58
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite
 
G.Godfrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,858
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
.. in your opinion.
That's why I said usually. He was flawless in Revolutionary Road and Take Shelter. And he's flawless in Boardwalk Empire. And I know the vast majority shares this, what you call, opinion. So it's almost a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
Even the best actors can give weak performances -- especially if you have bad dialogue to work with; and superhero/action films aren't known for the best dialogue. Cate Blanchett, for example, I think is an amazing actress, but her performance in Indiana Jones was downright forgettable.
Some do and some don't (find me a weak DDL performance). Some actors do great even with bad dialogue (Shannon for one).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
Either way, suggesting that any actor/actress will deliver a perfect performance without even seeing the film for yourself falls more into the realm of faith than reason.
In your opinion. If I am familiar with the actors work and see enough of his performance in a new role (and know what the role is about) I can pretty easily guess if he'll be perfect or not. And I bet that when the embargo is lifted on Monday, I'll be proven right.

G.Godfrey is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:25 AM   #59
dante2012
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 138
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

Im also like that aswell Godfey in films!lol! in dissecting movies and acting all the time. i thought i was the only one! ha! lol

dante2012 is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:26 AM   #60
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite
 
G.Godfrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,858
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante2012 View Post
Cavill will continue to grow and improve as an actor but he naturally charming and a hard worker.
Without seeing MOS, I think the sequel is where Cavill is going to fully grow into the role and become accepted as THE Superman. Because I think the sequel will make best use of his talents (He would be a brilliant mild-mannered reporter) and also allow him to be Superman more than MOS does, since it won't be an origin and he'll be established as a hero by then.

G.Godfrey is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:29 AM   #61
ModusPonens
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 405
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
That's why I said usually. He was flawless in Revolutionary Road and Take Shelter. And he's flawless in Boardwalk Empire. And I know the vast majority shares this, what you call, opinion. So it's almost a fact.



Some do and some don't (find me a weak DDL performance). Some actors do great even with bad dialogue (Shannon for one).



In your opinion. If I am familiar with the actors work and see enough of his performance in a new role (and know what the role is about) I can pretty easily guess if he'll be perfect or not. And I bet that when the embargo is lifted on Monday, I'll be proven right.

Haha. Godfrey, do I need to show you this clip again?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


Also, I really hope you're joking when you say, "the vast majority shares this, what you call, opinion. So it's almost a fact."

ModusPonens is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:30 AM   #62
dante2012
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 138
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

Yep, he will improve and get better in a sequel but he was great in an origin film too.
It just nice seeing supes as a real person and being treated with respect.

dante2012 is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:31 AM   #63
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModusPonens View Post
Also, I really hope you're joking when you say, "the vast majority shares this, what you call, opinion. So it's almost a fact."
I don't think he's joking.

Gianakin_ is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #64
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite
 
G.Godfrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,858
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModusPonens View Post
Haha. Godfrey, do I need to show you this clip again?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Well since that all you seem to do, sure go ahead. It's not like you can actually provide strong counter arguments since I'm right so YT clips are the only resort.

Btw, opinions are overrated. Some think that Twilight chick is a great actress who should get an Oscar. Doesn't make them right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModusPonens View Post
Also, I really hope you're joking when you say, "the vast majority shares this, what you call, opinion. So it's almost a fact."
No, I wasn't.

G.Godfrey is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #65
ModusPonens
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 405
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
I don't think he's joking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
No, I wasn't.
Well, in that case...


ModusPonens is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:33 AM   #66
robot
Side-Kick
 
robot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,143
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
Cavill's first two lines = weak. As are his scenes in the FOS that we've seen so far. He looks great in all other clips. But he's easily the worst actor of the main group so some mediocre spots are to be expected. Of course say this in a nest of a fanboys and you'll get jumped on. Whatever. Deal with it.
He does look nervous.. (maybe that's what he was going for, perhaps, this was the first time he's appearing in front of people as superman, and the script calls for him to be nervous and a little uncomfortable??)

But, i have seen clips that have no sound, and then sound added later, and it changes the entire performance for me...

In any case, let's watch the movie and then see if it'll appear as awkward as it is in this snippet...

robot is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:37 AM   #67
ModusPonens
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 405
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
It's not like you can actually provide strong counter arguments since I'm right so YT clips are the only resort.



Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
Btw, opinions are overrated. Some think that Twilight chick is a great actress who should get an Oscar. Doesn't make them right.
THIS. This x1000. Look into a mirror, and repeat this to yourself!

ModusPonens is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:37 AM   #68
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite
 
G.Godfrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,858
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModusPonens View Post
Well, in that case...

Isn't it nice though? How extremely different people are in their nature, views and so on. It makes for a lovely diverse and amusing planet to live on!

And it causes wars.

Oh well.

G.Godfrey is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:39 AM   #69
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
Btw, opinions are overrated.
Dictator Begins.

Gianakin_ is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:40 AM   #70
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite
 
G.Godfrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,858
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModusPonens View Post
THIS. This x1000. Look into a mirror, and repeat this to yourself!
Yeah, you just proved my point. Some things are just facts. KS not being a good actress is one of them, regardless if anyone thinks she is.

I know a lot of people can't deal with that. We live in a world where everyone hides behind 创opinions`` scared to death of being wrong or having a feeling something they like is not a GOAT thing.

G.Godfrey is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #71
ArmsHeldOut
The Voice of Reason
 
ArmsHeldOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Norah O'Donnell's bed/Western Massachusetts
Posts: 6,360
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
If I am familiar with the actors work and see enough of his performance in a new role (and know what the role is about) I can pretty easily guess if he'll be perfect or not. And I bet that when the embargo is lifted on Monday, I'll be proven right.
I just don't think that way about anyone. That's borderline worship. Acting is a job like any other. To remain relevant in the industry, you have to consistently bring it. Everyone is human and subject to factors that can make a performance less than stellar (even if it isn't by much).

I remember when there was all this controversy about that Beyonce girl lip-synching for the President a while back, and you had these people saying it's okay for performers to do that if they've demonstrated a certain degree of prowess in the past; and I don't agree with that. Like I said, whether it's singing or acting, performing is a job like any other. Unless someone can walk on water, I'll continue basing how I judge his/her performance on what I see in the present.

Having said that, I hope both Shannon and Cavill do a damn good job. I doubt either will give a flawless performance, but I trust that Snyder picked them for a reason.

ArmsHeldOut is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #72
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite
 
G.Godfrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,858
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
Dictator Begins.
Now that was a good one.

Anyway, I'm bored of this discussion on. Carry on without me!

G.Godfrey is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:43 AM   #73
Smallville13
Side-Kick
 
Smallville13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,604
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

I did sort've have the same thought as G.Godfrey watching that interrogation room scene, however I know it's because I'm watching it completely out've context and putting it under the microscope. I'm sure it will work once I've got a good grasp of Cavill's take.

The only thing I kinda think is I prefer the cuts in trailer #3. Probably cause I've watched that a zillion times, but I miss the close-up of Cavill after Lois says 'Well here's it's an 'S'.' And I think I prefer the cut of Amy saying the line in the trailer too. More sort've serious with a hint of flirting. In the final she's all giddy.

Smallville13 is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:48 AM   #74
ModusPonens
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 405
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
Yeah, you just proved my point. Some things are just facts. KS not being a good actress is one of them, regardless if anyone thinks she is.

I know a lot of people can't deal with that. We live in a world where everyone hides behind 创opinions`` scared to death of being wrong or having a feeling something they like is not a GOAT thing.
How... how did I prove your point?

Godfrey, you need to learn a valuable lesson: Just because you claim something to be true, that doesn't make it true. Claims require rigorous justification before we can deem them as "true." Everyone makes claims. But not everyone makes true, well-justified claims.


Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
Well since that all you seem to do, sure go ahead.
Posting that video is certainly not all I do. But even if it was, that would be completey fine, because you are the one making bold claims. The burden of proof is on you, my friend.

/end rant.

ModusPonens is offline  
Old 06-05-2013, 04:49 AM   #75
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender
 
Gianakin_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 19,287
Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - Part 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModusPonens View Post
How... how did I prove your point?

Godfrey, you need to learn a valuable lesson: Just because you claim something to be true, that doesn't make it true. Claims require rigorous justification before we can deem them as "true." Everyone makes claims. But not everyone makes true, well-justified claims.

Posting that video is certainly not all I do. But even if it was, that would be completey fine, because you are the one making bold claims. The burden of proof is on you, my friend.

/end rant.
Friendly advice: Don't bother.

Gianakin_ is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.