The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Which Movie Inspired a Worse Fan Backlash?
Dark Knight Rises 18 20.00%
Iron Man 3 63 70.00%
About Equal Between Them 6 6.67%
"How Dare You Imply That _____ Wasn't Actually Bad!" 3 3.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #176
kane9321
oakland's finest

Default Re: Dark Knight Rises vs Iron Man 3: Which Movie Inspired the Worse Fan Backlash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
You had to roll your eyes at the Robin 'reveal' but you are talking about a throwaway line in TDKR as apposed to a throwaway PLOT in IM 3.
Me personally...I hated both movies equally. IM 3'S plot was just ludicrous
Rises was just a big big mess

Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
The X-Men films are like an abusive boyfriend.
They treat you well, (X-Men 1 and 2) and then they show their true colors (X3 and Wolverine: Origins), then they promise that they can change (X-Men: First Class and The Wolverine), now you see them with a prostitute. (X-Men: DOTFP)
kane9321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #177
kane9321
oakland's finest

Default Re: Dark Knight Rises vs Iron Man 3: Which Movie Inspired the Worse Fan Backlash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
I wouldn't call them plot holes per say, but it certainly has some of the most faulty logic I've seen in a comic book movie in years. And Nolan directed it! WTF

atomic bomb explosion just miles off the coast.

Not only was this not the Batman I've known from the comics and shows, this wasn't evenAnd that's not even mentioning how Nolan completely abandoned ship on the previous two film's motifs about Bruce, exchanged screen time from Alfred, Lucius and Gordon to Blake, Miranda Tate, and Daggett, completely underused Catwoman, went with a horrible voice for Bane, used the most clichéd use of a twist, featured sloppy film editing, the whole "I knews yous wuz da Batman" scene, the blatantly obvious bait-and-switch of Batman being blown up in the Bat-plane, the eye rolling induced nod to Robin, and Batman sipping cappuccino with Catwoman in Italy while Gotham is reeling from an the Batman I knew from the first two films.
every reason why I'd never see this movie again. It was awful I had high high hopes for this movie. After it was over I felt like I was hit in the nuts

Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
The X-Men films are like an abusive boyfriend.
They treat you well, (X-Men 1 and 2) and then they show their true colors (X3 and Wolverine: Origins), then they promise that they can change (X-Men: First Class and The Wolverine), now you see them with a prostitute. (X-Men: DOTFP)
kane9321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #178
Juicy J
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I liked Iron Man 3 a lot and thought TDKR was stink on toast, but as far as fandom goes, Iron Man 3 got far more hate.
Agreed. IM3 was definitely more divisive, although I enjoyed it about a million times more.

Juicy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #179
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

The fact that Tony didn't put up a single defense tactic after giving his address away and ever mocking those who remind him of this idiocy was by far the stupidest character moment I've seen in any CBM to date, everything that came afterwards just got more contrived and moronic as the film progressed.

Squaremaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #180
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squaremaster316 View Post
The fact that Tony didn't put up a single defense tactic after giving his address away and ever mocking those who remind him of this idiocy was by far the stupidest character moment I've seen in any CBM to date, everything that came afterwards just got more contrived and moronic as the film progressed.
I thought it was fitting for the ego of the Tony Stark character, at least Iron Man 3 stayed true to the title character.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #181
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
I thought it was fitting for the ego of the Tony Stark character, at least Iron Man 3 stayed true to the title character.
So the titular character is a brainless idiot.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #182
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
So the titular character is a brainless idiot.

At least he's better at containing collateral damage/

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #183
James
Built from Lego

Ha! Yeah, which is more brainless, the guy who challenges a villain and "doesn't set up defenses" in his home full of weaponry, or the guy who avoidably slaughters thousands of innocent people? Gee I dunno guys, it's a toughie...

James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:02 AM   #184
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Quote:
Shame all the other characters in IM3 couldnt get the same treatment though

Old 07-13-2013, 03:11 AM   #185
Doc Ock
1951-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackFox View Post
Shame all the other characters in IM3 couldnt get the same treatment though
Yeah I tried to word what I said carefully lol. I almost said the wrong thing.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:22 AM   #186
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

Quote:
Yeah I tried to word what I said carefully lol. I almost said the wrong thing.
Haha yeah not easily done!!

Old 07-13-2013, 07:28 AM   #187
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ha! Yeah, which is more brainless, the guy who challenges a villain and "doesn't set up defenses" in his home full of weaponry, or the guy who avoidably slaughters thousands of innocent people? Gee I dunno guys, it's a toughie...
I could keep the entire United States' military defense budget in my basement, but it's still useless without someone operating them 24/7.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #188
StarLord
Tech Noir.

I would have to say Iron Man 3, based on the Mandarin twist which I personally liked but I understand it wasn't for everyone.

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #189
batfreakforever
A real fan

I never do comparisons between other hero's films say Ironman vs. Man of steel but what I will do is compare other Superman films with other Superman films. Same goes for Ironman, Batman etc.

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #190
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
I could keep the entire United States' military defense budget in my basement, but it's still useless without someone operating them 24/7.
He should have strolled around the house in the suit the entire time? He could get into the suit in less a minute, based on that and the slew of victories that Stark had achieved over his enemies prior to IM3, it's perfectly reasonable to expect that he could handle a few run of the mill terrorists (which he'd done numerous times prior to that point).

I'm not saying the movie didn't have it's problems, but challenging The Mandarin to come and get him (the world's most successful superhero) in a moment of heated anger doesn't cross me as one of them. Yeah it was a dumb move and required more thought, that's what people do when they're angry, and the movie recognized this -hence Pepper and Tony arguing about it. By that same token, as I said above, he had every reason to assume that an attack would either not happen or he, being Iron Man, could handle it without a problem.

Last edited by James; 07-13-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #191
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Yeah. Too bad Tony didn't, I don't know, summon "House Party" or whatever it's called that gets all 100+ armors flying around after he challenged the Mandarin. Imagine the Mandarin's goons flying to the house and seeing 50-odd Iron Man armors coming right after them?! Movie could have ended right there. But no, he saves that call for the third act. Why? Well, we are not supposed to think about that.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #192
James
Built from Lego

Right, like I said, the movie isn't without it's problems. The point I'm making though, is that when compared who is more "brainless", Stark or Clark, Clark gets the award for biggest dummy in my book. Was Tony Stark challenging terrorists to come and get him, then not using all the weapons he had at his disposal to fight them stupid? Sure -I'm not disputing that. But was that more stupid than making absolutely no effort to avoid the deaths of thousands of bystanders and at times even directly putting them in danger? No, I don't think so.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #193
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Right, like I said, the movie isn't without it's problems. The point I'm making though, is that when compared who is more "brainless", Stark or Clark, Clark gets the award for biggest dummy in my book. Was Tony Stark challenging terrorists to come and get him, then not using all the weapons he had at his disposal to fight them stupid? Sure -I'm not disputing that. But was that more stupid than making absolutely no effort to avoid the deaths of thousands of bystanders and at times even directly putting them in danger? No, I don't think so.
I watched MOS looking for that problem. I didn't find it. IMO it was kind of unavoidable since he was getting his ass kicked most of the time that there was property damaged. Besides, it happens in all movie and I never care.

Anyway, I would say IM3 was more divisive among the fans and the GA, although it was generally well received.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9 4. Guardians of the Galaxy 9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Ms. Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #194
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
I watched MOS looking for that problem. I didn't find it. IMO it was kind of unavoidable since he was getting his ass kicked most of the time that there was property damaged. Besides, it happens in all movie and I never care.

Anyway, I would say IM3 was more divisive among the fans and the GA, although it was generally well received.
In the Metropolis fight, yes. In the Smallville one? No. Superman tackled Zod directly toward the only populated area for miles around.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #195
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
After watching MoS, all is forgiven with IM3.

I wouldn't say that, but MOS was so wonderful all four times I saw it that my IM3 disappointment was pretty much forgotten.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:29 AM   #196
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Both films disappointed me but I did like TDKR. I hated IM3 and It got the worst backlash. The Mandarin in IM3 makes the villains in Spider-Man 3 look like Heath Ledgers Joker...

Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #197
GremlinZilla89
Mogwai Healer

I'd say Iron Man 3.

Most of the backlash against TDKR is stuff that can be just as easily applied to the TDK, but everybody conveniently ignores it or makes excuses for it, then turns around and accuses other of making stupid excuses for Rises....so theres that.

Iron Man seem to split WAY more people than Rises did. Not just the twist, but the comedy, the action, and nitpicks like suites being easily ripped apart. Lets put it this way. In the outside world, I haven't heard anyone say they outright hated TDKR, but I've heard a lot of people hating on Iron Man 3, even casual fans. I myself liked both...just sayin'.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #198
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinZilla89 View Post
I'd say Iron Man 3.

Most of the backlash against TDKR is stuff that can be just as easily applied to the TDK, but everybody conveniently ignores it or makes excuses for it, then turns around and accuses other of making stupid excuses for Rises....so theres that.

Iron Man seem to split WAY more people than Rises did. Not just the twist, but the comedy, the action, and nitpicks like suites being easily ripped apart. Lets put it this way. In the outside world, I haven't heard anyone say they outright hated TDKR, but I've heard a lot of people hating on Iron Man 3, even casual fans. I myself liked both...just sayin'.

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5 2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5 3. X-Men: Days of Future Past 9 4. Guardians of the Galaxy 9.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
But Captain America: The Winter Soldier wins. Everything. My first born son, even. It's the unicorn of the MCU.
Ms. Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #199
Filmfreak
Newbie First Class

With fans there's probably a larger number of people who hate The Dark Knight Rises but Iron Man 3 is more fanatically hated. In terms of general audience I think most people liked both these films and didn't really have many problems with them.

I voted for Iron Man 3 since it's the most recently hated and for the moment I see bigger negativity with this.

Filmfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #200
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Totally agree with that guy.

This one has been argued, literally to death - okay, well not literally yet, but it feels like it. I know I had a verbal war, with some very articulate posters about whether this works or not.

I've heard some great arguments about PTSD, lack of sleep, Tony thinking it wouldn't happen....and none of them have persuaded me, that this single act of stupidity from Tony Stark (a guy who's taken on demi-gods, armies of robots and alien invasions, and who built an arc reactor and a suit of armour, in a cave, while kept alive by a car battery), that that guy could get taken out by a ****ing helicopter attack, with missiles, at home, while a small army of remote controlled suits are in the ****ing basement ????????

WTF ??????

Anyway, I loved TDKR, while seeing it, and afterwards I went away, thought about it a bit and realised that some bits were, well, kind of dumb. But at least they seem to make sense while you're watching it. You don't feel insulted by it, while you're in the cinema. IM 3 is a different story.

If it had made me believe that Tony was that ****ing stupid, I would have been okay with it. But IM has appeared in 3 movies prior to this which strongly suggest that is not the case.

(and don't get me started on the Mandarin twist, or that Pepper saved his ass, or that all the character points are resolved in a one minute montage which was CLEARLY a ripoff of what Nolan does at the end of his films, by intercutting resolutions to plotlines and character points - of course forgetting that you need to put some time into those things BEFORE then, like about a hour or so, before you wrap them up in a conveniently little music video-style montage....sorry, you can see that really bugged me.)

Come on Shane Black, I loved Lethal Weapon, you can do better than this.

While TDKR isn't perfect, I felt more insulted by what IM 3 asks me to believe.

So for sheer outrage "you gotta be ****ing kidding !" factor, IM 3 gets my vote.

Just IMO, and I can easily see why people go the other way.

TDKR was the final chapter we needed, but not the one we deserved.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote