The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #51
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist

Default Re: TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion - Part 1

All of the Tranformers movies are a mess regardless of the big, and largely bad to average, action.
Juvenile humor, blatant objectification of women, incomprehensible action...
No indication of any of that here.
I doubt we'll have long, tracking shot of Lois Lane's @$$ as her introduction. I think we're safe.

COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
Old 06-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #52
TheNextNolan22
Dawn of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreadPool View Post
All of the Tranformers movies are a mess regardless of the big, and largely bad to average, action.
I doubt we'll have long tracking shot of Lois Lane's @$$ as her introduction. I think we're safe.
That would be nice though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Comics fans have been spoiled ****ing rotten over the years, and as soon as DC doesn't kiss their asses as efficiently as Marvel does, they throw internet s***fits. I'm over that stuff.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #53
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist

Lol! Well...

COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
Old 06-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #54
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Can you see it now? Micheal Bay's Man of Steel?

Metropolis blows up everywhere. Unrealistic characters complain about aliens while inappropriate slow motion focuses on Lois hair flapping in the breeze. Superman starts swearing like a sailor as he sets the whole army on fire

Old 06-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #55
JonahNolan
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreadPool View Post
I doubt we'll have long, tracking shot of Lois Lane's @$$ as her introduction. I think we're safe.
The action is amazing. The action in the Avengers was boring and cartoonish.

Also, Black Widow was hyper-sexualized starting with the casting.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #56
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Yet Zack Snyder hasn't made anything as good as Michael Bay's The Rock. Just saying...

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 06-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #57
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Nicolas Cage FTW!

Old 06-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #58
Dragon_316ca
Side-Kick

@species8472xgn
Quote:
@ManOfSteelMovie Saw last night. Great storytelling, striking visuals (Krypton & fights), solid acting & fierce fights = Movie of the Year!

Matthew Modine: You can't really relate to Thor, for instance! I like the story, but I don't relate to him -- I can't use his hammer!
Old 06-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #59
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahNolan View Post

Where did I say anything about The Avengers? I was responding to comparing MoS to TF3. Since you brought it up: Nothing Black Widow did in The Avengers remotely approached anything in the TF movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
Yet Zack Snyder hasn't made anything as good as Michael Bay's The Rock. Just saying...
The Rock was awesome. Classic Bay FTW!

COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
Old 06-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #60
EtherMagic
Side-Kick

Great idea for a thread, read way to many things I did not want to know in the other thread.

N-E-Ways

The only review that worries me is the one that says Henry has barely any dialog. Maybe im just traumatized by SR with Brandon Routh literally speaking 5 words through-out the entire movie, but... I really don't know what to think.

I just need some comfort and a hug right now! Lol

"But there is nothing wrong with making a film about him a bit edgier and less corny."
Old 06-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #61
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
That would be nice though.
From what I hear you should look into Night of the Museum 2.

Spill

Old 06-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #62
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
Do most of you put more stock in professional critic reviews or the reviews/reactions from "regular" viewers?
I tend to disagree with both almost equally, but i take much more stock in professional reviews than the one from some random guy in some random place. Not that proffessional reviewers can't have a level of bias or that regular viewers can't see things objectively...but I'm more likely to find one more in the other if you know what I mean.

For example...the last thing i want to do is to listen to people on here on whether this film is good or not, I get the feeling that a lot of people on this board need this film to be good to the point where it would ruin their day if it isn't. Whereas (idealy) a professional that has no real in depth connection to the source material wouldn't be afraid to be harsh on things and ignore fanservice or comic book winks and approach how the film works as an actual film, a piece of cinema as opposed to some pandering homage to the comics.

For example, I remember some fans telling me they hated spider-man 2 because there wasn't enough spidey in it, yet reviewers called it the most potent and profound character study in a superhero film yet. I agreed largely with the latter.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 06-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #63
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

I actually like a blend of both. I use a professional critic to help me decide the likelihood of it being "good" and the GA to decide the likelihood of it being "fun."

Old 06-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #64
Andreth
Side-Kick

Look, I'm happy that people are enjoying the visual aspect so much, but it's starting to get annoying and to actually worry me a little that this is what's present mostly on everybody's reactions.

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Old 06-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #65
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
I tend to disagree with both almost equally, but i take much more stock in professional reviews than the one from some random guy in some random place. Not that proffessional reviewers can't have a level of bias or that regular viewers can't see things objectively...but I'm more likely to find one more in the other if you know what I mean.

For example...the last thing i want to do is to listen to people on here on whether this film is good or not, I get the feeling that a lot of people on this board need this film to be good to the point where it would ruin their day if it isn't. Whereas (idealy) a professional that has no real in depth connection to the source material wouldn't be afraid to be harsh on things and ignore fanservice or comic book winks and approach how the film works as an actual film, a piece of cinema as opposed to some pandering homage to the comics.
Agreed. I trust actual critics to be far more discernible and objective than fanboys. Not that there aren't exceptions.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 06-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #66
Liam_H
Side-Kick

I think that's only worrisome when they are saving no matter how great the visuals, it can't save the movie.

We've never seen a Superman movie done on this type of scale before.

Spill

Old 06-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #67
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

It's an origin story, it's not exactly going to have a deep and dynamic narrative like the dark knight. Besides it being the first showing of an effects/action heavy film, it's really expected for most of the feedback to be about that. I wouldn't worry either way. We all know how this film plays out.

EDIT: Although, that being said; people reacted the same way to The Avengers, praising it highly. Yet when I watched it and tried to find something beyond the comedy and the awesome action...I came up short. Maybe reviewers don't care about story anymore...i dunno

Last edited by Sharkboy; 06-06-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #68
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreth View Post
Look, I'm happy that people are enjoying the visual aspect so much, but it's starting to get annoying and to actually worry me a little that this is what's present mostly on everybody's reactions.
I see. And it's good to be wary. Because if you're pleasantly surprised... all the better!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
I think that's only worrisome when they are saving no matter how great the visuals, it can't save the movie.

We've never seen a Superman movie done on this type of scale before.
Agreed. I think we've got to wait to hear from actual comic book Superman fans when it comes to characterization. Of course no opinion should matter to us as much as our own. Most of us know that's what counts.

COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
Old 06-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #69
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
It's an origin story, it's not exactly going to have a deep and dynamic narrative like the dark knight. Besides it being the first showing of an effects/action heavy film, it's really expected for most of the feedback to be about that. I wouldn't worry either way. We all know how this film plays out.

EDIT: Although, that being said; people reacted the same way to The Avengers, praising it highly. Yet when I watched it and tried to find something beyond the comedy and the awesome action...I came up short. Maybe reviewers don't care about story anymore...i dunno
Yeah, I don't expect this film to have a mindblowing plot. I'm expecting the major strengths of the story to be character and performance driven, with the visuals and score lending an epic scope to things.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 06-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #70
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Yeah, I don't expect this film to have a mindblowing plot. I'm expecting the major strengths of the story to be character and performance driven, with the visuals and score lending an epic scope to things.
YES. Honestly the more plot-oriented something becomes, the more it has a risk of making the character just another cog in the complex clockwork.

I think there are limitations in terms of how well an origin story can be in terms of complexity. What matters most to me is character development, and the relationship between a hero and the world around him, with strong themes to emphasize his significance. A fairly straightforward story is fine by me, those looking for a winding plot can wait until the sequel.

However, if it capitalizes on its potential, I'll be a VERY happy puppy

Old 06-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #71
TheScarecrow
Side-Kick

Well really all of the successful starts to superhero franchises have begun with a relatively simple plot, and this includes Batman Begins.

The only thing I've heard so far that worries me is a lack of character development for Lois. I was hoping Amy Adams as Lois would be a game-changer for (uncostumed) love interests.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #72
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ If the romance is too fleshed out, it couldn't leave much for the sequels. Also, the focus is Superman. We can't have Lane stealing the narrative from him

Old 06-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #73
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

New Non-Spoilery video review!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

He said that it was ALMOST as good as TDK.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #74
Andreth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
^ If the romance is too fleshed out, it couldn't leave much for the sequels. Also, the focus is Superman. We can't have Lane stealing the narrative from him
Yeah, this is actually the first version that has her so much involved into the story of Superman even before he makes his debut. The only times she's been able to be as involved in an origin story was in Smallville, because it was a weekly tv show.

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Old 06-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #75
LostSon88
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahNolan View Post

We get it dude.