The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #326
SpideyFan866
1959 - 2014

Default Re: New Live Action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie In The Works? - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Hah, I would've preferred if the after credits was either Mona Lisa or Ninjara. Or maybe that new mutant from the IDW Comics Alopex.
All 3 of those make more sense and affect the continuity less than Venus.

Venus, while not a horrible character, just mucks up the origin of the Turtles too much for her existence to be acceptable.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #327
guy_from_nerk
Side-Kick

Default Re: New Live Action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie In The Works? - Part 4

How many believe they will make a sequel to this? I think there is a good chance they will, since Ninja Turtles are back in the lives of kids (new cartoon series).

Old 07-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #328
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

would anyone be against a small cameo by Vanilla Ice? LOL!!

Old 07-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #329
Victarion
The Iron Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy_from_nerk View Post
How many believe they will make a sequel to this? I think there is a good chance they will, since Ninja Turtles are back in the lives of kids (new cartoon series).
I hope so. Give me City at War, with a Triceraton being behind one of the warring gangs.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #330
SpideyFan866
1959 - 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy_from_nerk View Post
I do. And I hope they venture out like the 2003 series did. That show had some amazing stories.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #331
guy_from_nerk
Side-Kick

I think a lot of it will be determined upon how well this one does. Here lately it seems there have been a lot of movies bombing (Lone Ranger, Turbo, RIPD), that I believe had sequels planned to them at some point and will now most likely not be made.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #332
Lunar_Wolf
WTF face

Van is a bit plain, but I kinda dig it.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #333
Scarecrow_King
King of Swinging Moods

So I talked to Kevin Eastman a little bit at Comic Con about this movie. He said that they heard all of the negative reactions, and are kind of letting them ride so that people will be pleasantly surprised when they see the finished product.

He sounded confident in the movie's ability to please people. I hope he's right.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:51 PM   #334
Klank
Side-Kick

I think someone in the thread said they didn't that Vernon was a big role in the movie. Considering that when Will Arnett was first cast it was confirmed it was a lead role this recent pic confirms he'll actualy be getting in on the action.

As for sequels? I think it's obvious everyone involved is thinking of having a series of movies.

I've said before I'm wary of the direction they're seemingly going in with big city destroying battles. I'm a big fan of the sci fi oriented TMNT stories but a large of the appeal of Ninja Turtles is that they are mostly more urban and down to earth. I would think the first movie of a reboot would try and reflect that.

Also it leads to the question if we are getting a full scale invasion from Dimension-X (which seems likely) then where do go with the sequels? Will Krang invade every movie but with a new gimmick each time?

I'm sure that this will make a lot of money and a sequel is practicaly guarenteed although you have to wonder if the Bay bubble will actualy burst at some point. TMNT has more marquee value than Transformers did circa the first live action movie but that was before the people involved picked up a certain amount of stigma. Not to mention the concept of giant robots kicking the crap out of each other I think is a bit more appealing to a casual moviegoer than martial arts practicing turtles.

It's also possible this could also go the way of Superman Returns were it makes a load of money but the general audience reaction is a bit 'off' so they rethink a sequel. If that happens were do we go from there? Another reboot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow_King View Post
So I talked to Kevin Eastman a little bit at Comic Con about this movie. He said that they heard all of the negative reactions, and are kind of letting them ride so that people will be pleasantly surprised when they see the finished product.

He sounded confident in the movie's ability to please people. I hope he's right.
Kevin's a great guy but he hyped up Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation as a dark series.

He's always super supportive of every turtles project whether he's involved or knows much about it he'll always put a positive spin on things. Like I said earlier I think he probably thinks that '87 show was popular and the movie has a lot of elements from that series so this will be too.

Hypotheticaly if they are letting the negativity ride I don't think that's the right tactic.

Last edited by Klank; 07-26-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #335
The Navigator
Punch Punch Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klank View Post
Hypotheticaly if they are letting the negativity ride I don't think that's the right tactic.
Not like they can do anything else at this point. Numerous people, either directly involved or just set walk-ons have all basically said not to worry and the project seems to be on track, and the response largely ranges from "oh, they're paid off" to "they have to endorse the movie regardless of quality since they're involved." Riding it out (at least until they have something solid to put on display) seems like the filmmakers' only action.

Last edited by The Navigator; 07-26-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:26 PM   #336
Klank
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Navigator View Post
Not like they can do anything else at this point. Numerous people, either directly involved or just set walk-ons have all basically said not to worry and the project seems to be on track, and the response largely ranges from "oh, they're paid off" to "they have to endorse the movie regardless of quality since they're involved." Riding it out (at least until they have something solid to put on display) seems like the filmmakers' only action.
I think the are things they could put out there that could hype fans as well as help dispel some of the negativity.

It strikes me we know more specifics about Avengers 2 than we do about TMNT (2014) despite the latter being much deeper into production.

Also some of the questionable stuff such as the lack of Pym I think has been adressed by Whedon is a fairly well thought out way.

Admittedly given the reputation of some of the people involved it'd be a harder sell but they've not really tried. Most of what we've gotten on this movie is based on set photos. Very little is official beyond confirming that they changed the 'alien element' (or Bay claiming there never was one) which leads fans to think they were stupid for going that route in the first place and Fichtners description of this Eric Sachs-Shredder which will naturaly makes fans go a little iffy.

Maybe if they confirmed a character or two? It might get people excited? Perhaps if they gave us a hint at why Eric Sachs exists it might go some way to get fans to it's a good idea. I think a lot of fans think that because they haven't commented it's because they know we wont like what they'll say.

Last edited by Klank; 07-26-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #337
TheAQU4M4N
K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

Leatherhead in the sequel, that would be awesome.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:11 PM   #338
The Navigator
Punch Punch Punch

Quote:
I think the are things they could put out there that could hype fans as well as help dispel some of the negativity.

It strikes me we know more specifics about Avengers 2 than we do about TMNT (2014) despite the latter being much deeper into production.

Also some of the questionable stuff such as the lack of Pym I think has been adressed by Whedon is a fairly well thought out way.

Admittedly given the reputation of some of the people involved it'd be a harder sell but they've not really tried. Most of what we've gotten on this movie is based on set photos. Very little is official beyond confirming that they changed the 'alien element' (or Bay claiming there never was one) which leads fans to think they were stupid for going that route in the first place and Fichtners description of this Eric Sachs-Shredder which will naturaly makes fans go a little iffy.

Maybe if they confirmed a character or two? It might get people excited? Perhaps if they gave us a hint at why Eric Sachs exists it might go some way to get fans to it's a good idea. I think a lot of fans think that because they haven't commented it's because they know we wont like what they'll say.
Almost everything they've already confirmed has been met with mixed results, Michael Bay, Megan Fox and William Fichtner especially. The alien thing and the original script is the primary hang up, and they've already said they're not taking that direction umpteen times. Whatever causes "Eric Sacks" to change seems to be fairly spoileriffic and potentially plot-important, not like they can discuss that. As far as side characters, Whoopi Goldberg's role has been confirmed and Will Arnett's might as well be, who else is there? They claim the mythology is not being violated, and based on what little we have (i.e. set pics) the turtles and co. are retaining quite a bit more of their iconography and visual trademarks than anything from Transformers (pseudo-mercenary-Foot-Clan-whatever-the-hell aside).

Until they have a clip or teaser to release with finished CGI, I don't think they should do anything. This movie already has a few black marks on its record, might as well wait until they can show the GA something to prove they're not talking out of their asses.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #339
Klank
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Navigator View Post
Almost everything they've already confirmed has been met with mixed results, Michael Bay, Megan Fox and William Fichtner especially. The alien thing and the original script is the primary hang up, and they've already said they're not taking that direction umpteen times. Whatever causes "Eric Sacks" to change seems to be fairly spoileriffic and potentially plot-important, not like they can discuss that. As far as side characters, Whoopi Goldberg's role has been confirmed and Will Arnett's might as well be, who else is there? They claim the mythology is not being violated, and based on what little we have (i.e. set pics) the turtles and co. are retaining quite a bit more of their iconography and visual trademarks than anything from Transformers (pseudo-mercenary-Foot-Clan-whatever-the-hell aside).

Until they have a clip or teaser to release with finished CGI, I don't think they should do anything. This movie already has a few black marks on its record, might as well wait until they can show the GA something to prove they're not talking out of their asses.
I wasn't really referring to casting choices since we'd know about them anyway when we got set pics. In fact a few we've learned from set pics first.

You're correct in saying that leaked script is still a hangup but I think it should be. Bay claimed it was from before he was involved and that was debunked as untrue (in fact it seems that was the very script he described as amazing when the alien furore kicked off). He's since denied there turtles were ever supposed to be aliens which goes against Leibesman's candid claim that element was ditched.

There is a a fair bit of stuff from that script still present that it isn't as ditched as they would like us to believe so I suppose you're right that a lot of fans would treat what the say with skepticism but not without good reason.

I do believe that if they gave specifics then fans would take it on board. A big one is confirming if Shredder is an alien or not.

Speaking of which it's hard to take them at the word that the mythology is intact when their main antagonist that is intrinsic to their origin is being changed so drasticaly.

Which mythology anyway? Are they mixing the different versions to any degree? In the same sentence Kevin Eastman said their keeping the mythology intact he backed it up by saying something along the lines of "there's still pizza and there's still sewers". I think anyone can appreciate that sounds rather flimsy.

Last edited by Klank; 07-26-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:35 AM   #340
The Navigator
Punch Punch Punch

Quote:
You're correct in saying that leaked script is still a hangup but I think it should be.
Quote:
There is a a fair bit of stuff from that script still present that it isn't as ditched as they would like us to believe so I suppose you're right that a lot of fans would treat what the say with skepticism but not without good reason.

I do believe that if they gave specifics then fans would take it on board. A big one is confirming if Shredder is an alien or not.

Speaking of which it's hard to take them at the word that the mythology is intact when their main antagonist that is intrinsic to their origin is being changed so drasticaly.
No disagreement. I think they put themselves in a no-win scenario for rumor control right out of the gate with that horrible script. That's why I think there's no way they can win the court of public opinion without showing some stuff, because even if they came and laid everything out on the table (Shredder's "changes" for instance) the skepticism of "well how much of this is just misdirection so they can get a good opening weekend box office" would still be there. A teaser might help soften the opening blows by emphasizing the "ninja" and showing the guys doing things we're familiar with and blending it with the more modern approach Fichtner claims they're taking. But I think at this point, with the damage they've done they really can't say or "confirm" anything (especially if Shredder being an alien or not is a big twist) without coming across as unconvincing damage control.

Quote:
Which mythology anyway? Are they mixing the different versions to any degree? In the same sentence Kevin Eastman said their keeping the mythology intact he backed it up by saying something along the lines of "there's still pizza and there's still sewers". I think anyone can appreciate that sounds rather flimsy.
I think they just mean the basic tenants of ooze mutating the turtles, Splinter training and naming them, and using that training and weaponry to do battle against Shredder (apparently clad in the traditional garb rather than looking mutated and alien-spike-ridden) and the Foot (unlike in the alleged script where they just grab random props 20 minutes before the movie's over). I don't think they were aiming for a specific era or interpretation beyond that.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:30 AM   #341
SilentWarriorZ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntMan View Post
They never really felt like teenagers in the original films anyway. Especially not Raph.
Yeah, they looked very much adult

Anyways I was hoping we were getting some E.T. style version of T.M.N.T.
with teenage kids and mutants as different take this time but having megan and that big Raph is taking a new direction for the story .

Old 07-27-2013, 06:43 AM   #342
NinjaTurtleFan
Turtle Power!

[QUOTE=Klank;26476577]

Kevin's a great guy but he hyped up Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation as a dark series.QUOTE]

Lol Kevin actually said that. Yeesh!

But yes... if everyone involved with the new film are thinking of just letting the negativity ride then they better dazzle us with a killer teaser or 2 min and 30-second trailer because myself and my friends included are very lukewarm to this film; nothing about it yet screams, "I have to go see that in the theater" even if I am a big Turtles fan.

Like someone brought up this might be a case of "Lone Ranger" all over again. Those who grew up with the 1987 show or the very least the 1984 comics are old now and want a taste of nostalgia; something that falls in line with those two properties. The first live-action movie was that, but now... we fans, I feel, want a straight, cut down the middle adaptation. Something that we can recognize; that feels Turtley.

The new kids aren't going to care because A) They're dumb and just want to play with the toys and B) Aren't hung up on nostalgia like us.

Us older kids... you mess with our Turtles and it's a big deal hence why I've voiced some of my concerns and resentment towards the production of this. The 2003 show got close to the old comics, but it lacked a lot of humor for me and some of the changes I didn't take too lightly to either. But the Turtles, even in the new show, constantly change sometimes for the better other times for the worse.

To me, again my humble opinion, William Fichtner, unless he's going to be under the mask the entire time as Shredder, I can accept, but when he's going by Eric Sacks, that's a big pill that's hard to swallow. The Foot changed to a military organization is a big pill to swallow. It's those kinds of things that grind my gears.

Maybe the tone of the movie will be great and the action and capturing the Turtles' various personalities will be great, but several other changes are going to be hard for me as a fan to not get over. Again, for the new generation of Turtles fans they could give two ****s, but for us... I would listen to the negativity instead of ignoring it.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #343
scifiwolf
Side-Kick

I'm at a point where I'm trying to enjoy the positives, not expect anything I actually want, and really just trying to reserve a lot of my remaining judgement for footage and the actual movie. I hate the van for the kind of movie I (and the overwhelming majority of fans) want to see, but absolutely LOVE it as a live-action version of the OT Turtle Van. I actually love April's look, especially the prominence of the yellow jacket, but can't stop thinking about Anna Kendrick wearing it instead. The potential to get Krang, Utroms, and Dimension X is exciting, but there's still the specter of the leaked script and all that it contains.

I guess trying to focus solely on the positives is still difficult. I have hopes that Leibesman salvages as much of this as possible and makes it work, and a sequel gives us enough to make the 2014 film a red-headed stepchild in this new series.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #344
RAE072
Samhain

This movie has Michael Bayisms all over it. And that's depressing.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #345
SpideyFan866
1959 - 2014

Th Frown Re: New Live Action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie In The Works? - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE072 View Post
This movie has Michael Bayisms all over it. And that's depressing.
Actually, it doesn't really have that many Bayisms.

And neither did the original script. Which, other than the altered origins for the character roster, was pretty good.

Much better than people give it credit for and a better turtles film than the Bayfilms were Transformers films.

At least imo.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #346
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow_King View Post

judging by what he has said in the past regarding any TMNT projects, i would not take what Eastman says seriously

at this point, he is nothing more than a glorified cheerleader

Old 07-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #347
RAE072
Samhain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
Actually, it doesn't really have that many Bayisms.

And neither did the original script. Which, other than the altered origins for the character roster, was pretty good.

Much better than people give it credit for and a better turtles film than the Bayfilms were Transformers films.

At least imo.
I'm seeing a few, just based purely on speculation of set pictures but also things we actually know.

Militarized black ops Foot Clan(confirmed), possibility of Shredder being some military guy. We all know Bay has a boner for the military.

The normal plucky human side characters getting a bit more play. Does anyone REALLY want to see Vernon that much? Personally, I don't. Plus, he wouldn't cast someone like Will Arnett if he wasn't going to get a considerable amount of screen time almost or as equal to April.

That's just two so far. Based on confirmed things from news/set pictures and speculation based on set pictures.

I'm not sure if the "making Turtles aliens" thing is a Bayism or not. It feels like it might be, but I don't think I should include it. Aliens I could let slide if it involves Krang/The Kraang but the Turtles should NOT be aliens themselves. That's a simple fact of the matter.

The original script read like that goddawful(but intentionally godawful) Batman script from years ago. Oh wait...wasn't that ALSO fake written by Michael Bay? Man that thing was hilarious. And the TMNT script was equally hilarious, and not in the good way.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #348
Wheels
The Guy

I actually enjoyed the first Transformers. It had things that I didn't like but overall I enjoyed it. With the other films, the stuff I didn't like sticks in my mind more. It's kind of like the original TMNT films in that way.

Quote:
I gave you cookies!
-- Bo Dallas
Old 07-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #349
dark_b
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post

It's wrapped around the head of the actual actor, so take into consideration that it will probably be replaced in post.
they put human clothes on him. there are no trackers for tracking the movement. so i have to speculate that there will no cgi on the head,body and arms.

i guess it will work. i hope it will.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #350
Cassandra Cain
C'mon! Let's get NUTS!

^ Those tracings actually help a lot. Doesn't look half as bad as just some huge, hunched back creature ridiculously wrapped up.

Closed Thread