The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 2

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline  
Old 06-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 1

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline  
Old 06-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,783
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 2

Inb4 close.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline  
Old 06-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
db85usa
HeHe!
 
db85usa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Midwesterner
Posts: 1,783
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

HSX has MoS opening just slightly under $120 Million but a DOM of $300 Million I think that DOM figure would be higher with that kind of opening. I don't expect massive drops if the movie has solid reviews. If anything, many are saying this film will have serious legs in its entire run.

Who knows, it could open small but have a long run in the BO resulting in a high domestic gross and this should reflect into a higher than expected foreign intake. My feeling and prediction is it will open higher than the studio estimates and rival companies are saying $100 million for an OW. I think everyone will be way off and it will open higher than $100 million. I'm still set on anywhere between $130-$150 million for the OW. Even if it grosses $115-$120 million during the OW, I would say that is a huge, huge win for Man of Steel. It should get to $300 million DOM fairly quickly.

__________________
"Batman is serious. Iron Man is funny. I'm perfectly fine with Superman just being badass." - Ali Gray, TheShiznit.co.uk
db85usa is offline  
Old 06-07-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!
 
I SEE SPIDEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In Superman's arms
Posts: 32,790
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

A 120mil opening with good word of mouth should yield a 330-360mil gross IMHO.

I SEE SPIDEY is online now  
Old 06-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,566
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

The latest from THR is that the studio is publicly predicting $75 million as a conservative estimate, but internally the are expecting $85-$90 million on opening weekend (of course rivals of the WB -- Universal, Marvel, et. al -- are guesstimating a $100 million BO based on advance ticket sales, which are pacing ahead of "Fast and the Furious 6"). If you really want to prove the studio wrong, go see the movie opening weekend instead of watching a pirate copy online. Screw The Pirate Bay.

__________________
Dno

Last edited by dnno1; 06-07-2013 at 07:19 PM.
dnno1 is offline  
Old 06-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!
 
I SEE SPIDEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In Superman's arms
Posts: 32,790
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

The studio always lowballs so of course that 75mil is bunk. I don't think it's doing under 90mil, I could see it not quite getting 100mil but I would be a little surprised if it opened under 90mil. 85mil would be fine though especially in mid June.

I SEE SPIDEY is online now  
Old 06-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
Bran-El
Side-Kick
 
Bran-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 506
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

Checking the news online, I see the press is really bringing the BO expectation level higher. Hopefully MOS will measure up to the estimated numbers. I have confidence it will do really well Father's Day weekend.

Bran-El is offline  
Old 06-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,566
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

What could hurt the film (purely my opinion though) is the early screenings from the WalMart promotion. Opens the door to pirates who can get illegal copies of the film onto the streets a day earlier. I don't know how they are handling security on that night, but I certainly hope it is the same as it was for the pre-screnings.

__________________
Dno
dnno1 is offline  
Old 06-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
Bran-El
Side-Kick
 
Bran-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 506
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

Yeah that and Monster's University in the second week.

Bran-El is offline  
Old 06-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,566
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran-El View Post
Checking the news online, I see the press is really bringing the BO expectation level higher. Hopefully MOS will measure up to the estimated numbers. I have confidence it will do really well Father's Day weekend.
Now asside from what I said and irrespective of what happens opening, week Jeff Robinov predicts that "Man of Steel" will be Warner Bros. best film yet. According to Variety that would mean that the expectation is that it would out perform films like “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2″, "The Dark Knight", and "The Dark Knight Rises", which all made over $1 billion (the Harry Potter film was the highest at $1.3 billion).

__________________
Dno
dnno1 is offline  
Old 06-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #12
Autonet
What?
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Shatterdome
Posts: 891
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

I think it'll be hard pressed to beat Harry Potter.

Autonet is offline  
Old 06-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
Liam_H
Side-Kick
 
Liam_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 8,505
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

Like any movie not named Avengers.

__________________

Spill


Liam_H is offline  
Old 06-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #14
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,566
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonet View Post
I think it'll be hard pressed to beat Harry Potter.
I don't know. There are a lot of Superman Fans out there be it of the comics, TV series, or film franchise. The expectation should be there that in this day and age (almost 3 years after the end of the Harry Potter film franchise) that a film like "Man of Steel" could out sell it. The franchise has the potential to be one of the top grossing films of any given year (as proven with SM and SM2). Let's just all hope it ends up beating out "Iron Man 3" which may or may not be an easier task.

__________________
Dno

Last edited by dnno1; 06-07-2013 at 07:55 PM.
dnno1 is offline  
Old 06-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #15
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK
 
Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Londinium, North of Gaul, circa XLIII AD
Posts: 48,198
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
Now asside from what I said and irrespective of what happens opening, week Jeff Robinov predicts that "Man of Steel" will be Warner Bros. best film yet. According to Variety that would mean that the expectation is that it would out perform films like “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2″, "The Dark Knight", and "The Dark Knight Rises", which all made over $1 billion (the Harry Potter film was the highest at $1.3 billion).
For some reason I can't open the link so I'm answering blind. But those films you/they mention are all sequels following strong earlier entries. As a comparison I don't think Batman Begins had a chance of doing huge numbers despite being really good and even if it had been WB's best film as it was following B&R. TDK was much better positioned to take advantage coming after a respected Batman film but I don't think it would have been as successful had it been in Begins' place. Conversely Rises was guaranted at least a half decent return thanks to the goodwill from TDK. So I guess my point is that how good MoS is is not the only factor required to push it to mega money. It will be hard pushed to reach $1B no matter how good it is (although I'm not ruling it out) ..even if it is WB's best. But I do think if it lives up to expectations it will push the sequels over $1B even if they aren't as good.

__________________
Xbox GT: Miramax7000 121,677 G
Iceman is offline  
Old 06-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #16
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,566
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
For some reason I can't open the link so I'm answering blind. But those films you/they mention are all sequels following strong earlier entries. As a comparison I don't think Batman Begins had a chance of doing huge numbers despite being really good and even if it had been WB's best film as it was following B&R. TDK was much better positioned to take advantage coming after a respected Batman film but I don't think it would have been as successful had it been in Begins' place. Conversely Rises was guaranted at least a half decent return thanks to the goodwill from TDK. So I guess my point is that how good MoS is is not the only factor required to push it to mega money. It will be hard pushed to reach $1B no matter how good it is (although I'm not ruling it out) ..even if it is WB's best. But I do think if it lives up to expectations it will push the sequels over $1B even if they aren't as good.
http://variety.com/2013/film/news/wa...an-1200493334/

The article says that Jeff Robinof, WB Pictures group President, went as far as to predict that the film will be the studio's highest performer. That means in spite of the fact that the films I mentioned were sequels, the expectation is that it will top them. It would have to to be the top performer.

__________________
Dno

Last edited by dnno1; 06-07-2013 at 08:17 PM.
dnno1 is offline  
Old 06-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
Liam_H
Side-Kick
 
Liam_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 8,505
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

Talk about setting your own self up for disappointment.

__________________

Spill


Liam_H is offline  
Old 06-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #18
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK
 
Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Londinium, North of Gaul, circa XLIII AD
Posts: 48,198
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
http://variety.com/2013/film/news/wa...an-1200493334/

The article says that Jeff Robinof, WB Pictures group President, went as far as to predict that the film will be the studio's highest performer. That means in spite of the fact that the films I mentioned were sequels, the expectation is that it will top them. It would have to to be the top performer.
Thanks, that works. Wow, I can’t believe how optimistic he is!! It’s a great sign to how good this film is for him to say that stuff. Gives me more confidence about the prospects of this series & a proper JL. Well, hope he’s right!

__________________
Xbox GT: Miramax7000 121,677 G
Iceman is offline  
Old 06-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #19
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 10,551
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Talk about setting your own self up for disappointment.
Yep.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesConceptz View Post
Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline  
Old 06-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #20
kendalag
Side-Kick
 
kendalag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 497
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
What could hurt the film (purely my opinion though) is the early screenings from the WalMart promotion. Opens the door to pirates who can get illegal copies of the film onto the streets a day earlier. I don't know how they are handling security on that night, but I certainly hope it is the same as it was for the pre-screnings.
That will be irrelevant ... the midnight showings star less 2 1/2 hours after the Walmart showings end ... it's really no different than any other previews film (Iron Man, Star Trek 2)

kendalag is offline  
Old 06-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #21
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,566
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Talk about setting your own self up for disappointment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Yep.
He did raise the bar very high for this film, but it's not totally impossible to do. I will tell you this, though, if it does succeed in making that much money I am beginning to doubt that anyone involved with the project would want anything to do with Superman teaming up with other franchises. They won't want to jeopardize that success.

__________________
Dno
dnno1 is offline  
Old 06-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #22
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK
 
Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Londinium, North of Gaul, circa XLIII AD
Posts: 48,198
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

I'd love to know what one or 2 of his colleagues think of his opinion. It's one of those comments where he could easily end up looking very silly & never being taken seriously again on box office matters. Certainly doesn't fit with studio opening weekend estimates.

__________________
Xbox GT: Miramax7000 121,677 G
Iceman is offline  
Old 06-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #23
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,566
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendalag View Post
That will be irrelevant ... the midnight showings star less 2 1/2 hours after the Walmart showings end ... it's really no different than any other previews film (Iron Man, Star Trek 2)
Actually the WalMart promotion says that the advance screenings start at 7 PM. That 's 5 hours before the midnight screenings start and, depending on what time zone you are in it could be up to 13 hours (if you live in Hawaii). That makes a lot of difference there and is pretty relevant.

__________________
Dno

Last edited by dnno1; 06-07-2013 at 09:24 PM.
dnno1 is offline  
Old 06-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #24
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK
 
Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Londinium, North of Gaul, circa XLIII AD
Posts: 48,198
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnno1 View Post
He did raise the bar very high for this film, but it's not totally impossible to do. I will tell you this, though, if it does succeed in making that much money I am beginning to doubt that anyone involved with the project would want anything to do with Superman teaming up with other franchises. They won't want to jeopardize that success.
But what if Snyder is the guy directing JL?

__________________
Xbox GT: Miramax7000 121,677 G
Iceman is offline  
Old 06-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #25
dnno1
Side-Kick
 
dnno1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,566
Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I'd love to know what one or 2 of his colleagues think of his opinion. It's one of those comments where he could easily end up looking very silly & never being taken seriously again on box office matters. Certainly doesn't fit with studio opening weekend estimates.
He'll give the same response he does to about 90% of the films he misses on each year. It was because of either the critics or the weather or some nut who caused a national scene that took away from the film or something like that.

__________________
Dno
dnno1 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.