The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #826
Ghostcrow13
Side-Kick

Default Re: Aaron Johnson is Quicksilver

You've got to be big these days in films especially in this film, if not for realism, for the mans self confidence, imagine being relatively skinny and having to stand next to Hemsworth and Evans they would make him look like a rake.

Look at RDJ he usually gets pretty bulked up for Iron Man when there is no real reason he would be that muscly.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #827
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

^Well then that would immediately rule out any crossover with the Amazing Spider-Man series wouldn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The numbered jaymes is right!! :yay:
*\S/T*
Old 04-29-2014, 12:17 PM   #828
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
I'd assume so, since they grew up together.

I don't think he looks too big. He's about 170-180 pounds max. For someone around 6 foot tall, that isn't big. He's just shredded like a mutha****a haha.
Can't tell if sarcasm...

Quote:
*\S/T*
Old 04-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #829
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymes_e06 View Post
^Does that mean Wanda will too?
Yes. He said the twins are from eastern Europe and speak with a eastern European accent in his interview with details magazine.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #830
The Endless
WE are Groot

Quote:
Can't tell if sarcasm...
Why would it be sarcasm? They are brother and sister who grew up together. Why would one have an accent and one not?

Old 04-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #831
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
^Well then that would immediately rule out any crossover with the Amazing Spider-Man series wouldn't it?

Let's hope so

Old 04-29-2014, 01:36 PM   #832
Ghostcrow13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
Let's hope so
Ha I was just gonna put that

Old 05-16-2014, 07:32 AM   #833
samsnee
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

So based on early reviews of Godzilla, it sounds like ATJ doesn't come off too well. For people who have seen it, is it his acting, or just the way role was written? I liked him in Kick-ass but that character is almost a 180 from QS.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #834
TheVision
Yellow, Red and Green

Lets just assume that ATJ will be great in AOU. Just because hes not too good in Godzilla doesnt mean he'll be like that in Joss' film. Different filmmakers, diff character.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:50 AM   #835
Khonshu
Side-Kick

I think that his performance in Godzilla was as much to do with the direction and writing as anything else. The script didn't give him much more than "I need to get back to my family" and "I'm a bomb expert", so he comes across a bit wooden.

I think he'll be fine in A2 as a supporting character; Whedon typically receives good praise for coaching and directing his actors to what he needs for a scene.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #836
TheVision
Yellow, Red and Green

^^ Joss is a great writer so I expect QS to stand out in the movie, he def wont be a cardboard cutout.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #837
Ghostcrow13
Side-Kick

Watch Nowhere boy, if you wanna see ATJ do someone cocky but still with a lot of emotional troubles.

Equally you can pick any actor and find at least one poor performance.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:36 AM   #838
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Summer Blockbuster movies aren't always the best place to judge acting talent as the roles aren't exactly the most demanding or well written.

I've seen Aaron Taylor Johnson in various tv shows and movies and he often disappears into roles well.

Old 05-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #839
TalismanRing
Cyclone Cookie Tosser

It's first and foremost a monster/destruction movie and the characters mostly serve as background to the main event. Ken Watanabe, David Strathairn, Bryan Cranston, Juliette Binoche - all very fine actors playing archetypes more than characters.

ATJ was OK in what was primarily an action man role serving second, third and fourth fiddle to
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
monsters.
Not charismatic, quirky, humorous or intense but then the role didn't seem to call for any of that. I also think he was undercut by having his most interesting relationship
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
cut short far too early.

Elisabeth Olsen did even less - reduced to being watery eyed and frightened in a slightly quivering upper lip but mostly brave manner. I don't know why they bothered making her character a Dr/Medic/Nurse whatever (it's so irrelevant I don't think they even bother to say which) since she really has nothing to do.

Last edited by TalismanRing; 05-16-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:55 AM   #840
SAUspartan
Kurtty Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostcrow13 View Post
What has Peters actually been in worth watching apart from Kick-Ass? This is a genuine question not some snide remark
Peters is great in everything he has been in. From Disney Channel "Phil of the Future" to American Horror Story. He can act in any genre. Kick Ass he hardly did anything and then was recasted in the 2nd one.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:04 AM   #841
UltraSuperGuy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
So based on early reviews of Godzilla, it sounds like ATJ doesn't come off too well. For people who have seen it, is it his acting, or just the way role was written? I liked him in Kick-ass but that character is almost a 180 from QS.
Well, the writing in Godzilla was AWFUL but ATJ didn't help it any. Watching him emote in this movie was like watching a statute try to emote. It's like he would scrunch his face really really hard and then some tiny amount of emotion would come out of him. Also, about 90% of the movie is spent on his character so there's really no escape from the suckage.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:28 AM   #842
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Joss managed to make SMG compelling. Not worried.

At the risk of being totally offensive...there's a quote from Ghandi about Christianity that can be reappropriated for this.

"I like your Christopher Nolan, but I do not like your Nolanites."
Old 05-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #843
jaymes_e06
Side-Kick

Well SMG is a good actor also. He can only do so much with mediocre one like Eliza Dushku. She wasn't awful in Dollhouse but she was the main character and the most forgettable.

Quote:
*\S/T*
Old 05-17-2014, 12:09 PM   #844
Mister J
El Jefe en Púrpura
SHH! Global Moderator

I'm a little upset it took me until watching Godzilla to figure out that Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were coupled together prior to AOU. I did have some fun spinning alt scenarios doing their screen time tho.

So when you find yourself locked onto an unpleasant train of thought, heading for the places in your past where the screaming is unbearable, remember there’s always madness. Madness is the emergency exit… you can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away… forever.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #845
doink
Moonlight Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khonshu View Post
I think that his performance in Godzilla was as much to do with the direction and writing as anything else. The script didn't give him much more than "I need to get back to my family" and "I'm a bomb expert", so he comes across a bit wooden.
(de-lurking for the first time)

Along with that, I thought he seemed a bit young for his role in Godzilla. He seems much more suited to characters like Quicksilver, so I think he'll do better in AoU.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #846
CB Fan
The Watcher

I'm not a fan of Aaron Taylor Johnson's but in Godzilla he didn't have a whole lot to work with and his character was written poorly. I still think he could have tried to do something other than playing the character as wooden and straight as he did. I'm truly worried because he looks to be the weakest part of a great cast, and he's not a horrible actor but he's not great either.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:57 AM   #847
BoredGuy
Killing Time

When an actor is generally quite good and has one bad role, I tend to fault the director much more than the actor.
They're the ones in charge of bringing out and capturing the correct performance from the actor, so If a talented person suddenly looks wooden, it's probably the director's problem

and judging solely by what I also heard of Ken Watanabe's performance in Godzilla, I'm gonna go ahead and say it's Edwards fault.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:03 AM   #848
TheVision
Yellow, Red and Green

Doesnt sound like any of the actors in Zilla had a lot to sink their acting teeth into.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #849
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
When an actor is generally quite good and has one bad role, I tend to fault the director much more than the actor.
They're the ones in charge of bringing out and capturing the correct performance from the actor, so If a talented person suddenly looks wooden, it's probably the director's problem

and judging solely by what I also heard of Ken Watanabe's performance in Godzilla, I'm gonna go ahead and say it's Edwards fault.
It's just like Weaving in TFA...and Rourke in IM2

Old 05-19-2014, 04:58 PM   #850
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Fan View Post
I'm not a fan of Aaron Taylor Johnson's but in Godzilla he didn't have a whole lot to work with and his character was written poorly. I still think he could have tried to do something other than playing the character as wooden and straight as he did. I'm truly worried because he looks to be the weakest part of a great cast, and he's not a horrible actor but he's not great either.
the special effects will make up for that. plus, i'm sure that Whedon will give him many of the good lines (those that don't go to RDj).

Closed Thread