Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #351
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicCap View Post
Hang on even before they were Avengers they had the X-universe connection they may not have been Magneto's kids but they were originally created as part of his Brotherhood. However I do agree that they deserve to be in an Avengers film as much as Hawkeye, Black Widow, Antman, etc. I really look forward to seeing their powers on screen.
Wanda & Pietro were in Magneto's Brotherhood for a hot second compared to the decades they spent with the Avengers (and in Pietro's case, the Inhumans). It's akin to a player spending a season with one team, then being traded to another and playing with them for ten years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
I actually like them more as magneto's children. It provides depth to everyone, not least of all Magneto
The reasons I dislike the retcon that made Wanda & Pietro Magneto's children boil down to this: It was unnecessary and it altered the dynamic between the twins and Magneto, who basically enslaved and definitely degraded them. It was unneeded because the origin featuring Miss America and The Whizzer as their biological parents gave them intriguing ties to Timely/Atlas/Marvel Comics' Golden Age heroes. Captain America and Namor fought in WWII with Bob and Madeleine Frank. The android Human Torch, whose body later became The Vision, was their comrade-in-arms as well. That was a neat call-back that would have given Wanda & Pietro firmer ties to the Marvel universe's origin, and it would have made Cap's mentorship of them more meaningful, as well.

It would be fitting if Joss Whedon harked back to the twins' original origin and made them the children of the Franks once more, using that and their parents' exposure to unknown substances and/or mystical forces as the cause of their powers, rather than mutant genes. Just move the Franks' lives forward a bit so that they could be the parents of children in their early twenties and give them ties to SHIELD, if necessary.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #352
SilentWarriorZ
Side-Kick

I wonder how they can show Mutants in Avengers without Magneto link .
The scarlet witch was also responsible for the M day , If they change the origins then This may screw up some comic sagas

Old 07-02-2013, 11:07 AM   #353
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWarriorZ View Post
I wonder how they can show Mutants in Avengers without Magneto link .
The scarlet witch was also responsible for the M day , If they change the origins then This may screw up some comic sagas
They're not going to be mutants because Marvel films can't use that term, or name Magneto as their father. M Day was BS that used Wanda as a deus ex machina for editors who wanted to kill off most of the mutants. There are no mutants in the MCU, so no need to senselessly massacre 99% of them. Leave that to Singer over at Fox. Changing the twins' origin won't affect any of Marvel's cosmic sagas because their part in those stories has nothing at all to do with their being mutants and everything to do with their role in the Avengers team.

Last edited by xeno000; 07-02-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #354
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Wanda & Pietro were in Magneto's Brotherhood for a hot second compared to the decades they spent with the Avengers (and in Pietro's case, the Inhumans). It's akin to a player spending a season with one team, then being traded to another and playing with them for ten years.

The reasons I dislike the retcon that made Wanda & Pietro Magneto's children boil down to this: It was unnecessary and it altered the dynamic between the twins and Magneto, who basically enslaved and definitely degraded them. It was unneeded because the origin featuring Miss America and The Whizzer as their biological parents gave them intriguing ties to Timely/Atlas/Marvel Comics' Golden Age heroes. Captain America and Namor fought in WWII with Bob and Madeleine Frank. The android Human Torch, whose body later became The Vision, was their comrade-in-arms as well. That was a neat call-back that would have given Wanda & Pietro firmer ties to the Marvel universe's origin, and it would have made Cap's mentorship of them more meaningful, as well.

It would be fitting if Joss Whedon harked back to the twins' original origin and made them the children of the Franks once more, using that and their parents' exposure to unknown substances and/or mystical forces as the cause of their powers, rather than mutant genes. Just move the Franks' lives forward a bit so that they could be the parents of children in their early twenties and give them ties to SHIELD, if necessary.
I never disputed that but I consistently hear people say the were retconned as mutants when they always were. Personally I think they should make them Inhumans in the film so they can avoid the M word.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #355
BoredGuy
Killing Time

personally, I just hope they say,

"They have powers"
"How?"
"They were born with them"

fin.

I don't think most people need much of an explanation these days

Old 07-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #356
marcvader
Lurker #1

That's what I've always thought was the simplest way of doing it. It's not like FOX owns the rights to having genetic powers, it's only the term "mutant". If they absolutely need to have labels I'm sure there's countless other words that they can come up with. It's really not that complicated.

Twitter- @mrpink13
VARTHA FOR MOD
Old 07-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #357
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicCap View Post
I never disputed that but I consistently hear people say the were retconned as mutants when they always were. Personally I think they should make them Inhumans in the film so they can avoid the M word.
I've never seen anyone say they were retconned as mutants. The objections are to the X-fans who have been claiming that Wanda and Pietro "belong" in the X-universe because they're mutants and were retroactively made into Magneto's kids, which absolutely did happen. The twins were around for over 20 years before some writer came up with the daddy Magneto story.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:45 PM   #358
Matt Mortem
Big Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post

"They have powers"
"How?"

fin.

I'd completely accept that. We don't need a 15 minute expository dialogue scene for ****s and giggles.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #359
Ant-manic
Side-Kick

Quote:
not imo. it's more akin to a player spending 10 years on a team and then finding out that they are the son of osama bin laden. doesn't matter how great an athlete he is. people are still going to know him as bin laden's kid.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #360
Ant-manic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
I'd completely accept that. We don't need a 15 minute expository dialogue scene for ****s and giggles.
i think you underestimate today's moviegoer. it's the information age. it's possible for even a casual consumer to know tons about popular entertainment. think of all the continuity in game of thrones or the Hobbit. we haven't yet seen a character who was born with powers but wasn't an other-dimensional being (or alien) in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. so, yeah, the audience will probably be expecting an explanation. they could tie it into extremis. they could make Pietro and Wanda citizens of another of the 9 realms. but just saying they were born with their abilities can be construed as lazy storytelling.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #361
sabetoonth
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant-manic View Post
not imo. it's more akin to a player spending 10 years on a team and then finding out that they are the son of osama bin laden. doesn't matter how great an athlete he is. people are still going to know him as bin laden's kid.
He's talking about the association with the X-Men when there really isnt much, his comparison in that is legitimate.

C.Lee once fought President Washington in a no-holds-barred cage match. He lost and was cursed with immortality.
Semper in memoriam--Forever in memory, Lucia Byrd
Avvy by Kane52630
Old 07-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #362
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:

That's a hilariously bad analogy.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #363
Wine-N-Cheese
Side-Kick

Quote:
i think you underestimate today's moviegoer. it's the information age. it's possible for even a casual consumer to know tons about popular entertainment. think of all the continuity in game of thrones or the Hobbit. we haven't yet seen a character who was born with powers but wasn't an other-dimensional being (or alien) in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. so, yeah, the audience will probably be expecting an explanation. they could tie it into extremis. they could make Pietro and Wanda citizens of another of the 9 realms. but just saying they were born with their abilities can be construed as lazy storytelling.
Better lazy storytelling than bad storytelling. I really don't think it's necessary to include some convoluted backstory, just to explain how a couple of supporting characters' powers came about. If people can take shooting arrows without looking, super-soldier serums, and god-like aliens, they can take born-with-powers.

Quote:

That sounds needlessly complicated. Anyway, I thought the Magneto retcon was much more interesting than the Whizzer retcon. Neither was particularly necessary for the character development of the twins IMO, but the former was great for Magneto's narrative and provided plenty of drama for everyone. Being the Franks' kids just didn't have the same emotional impact.

Also, Whizzer...mongoose blood.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #364
SpideyFan866
1959 - 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post

"They have powers"
"How?"

fin.

This. It's as simple as that. And really, they already created an explanation for it with Aldrich Killian's "Brain Slot" theory that humans weren't "finished" and were destined to evolve again.

Pietro and Wanda would be that next evolution.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #365
SilentWarriorZ
Side-Kick

I guess for the Twins we will get completely different origin with completely different powers in Avengers then .

Old 07-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #366
marcvader
Lurker #1

Why would they have different powers?

Twitter- @mrpink13
VARTHA FOR MOD
Old 07-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #367
SilentWarriorZ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
Why would they have different powers?
Well if they are tying into Extremis or any other Explanation is given for their existance then their might be possibility to have different explanation for their power source too .

Old 07-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #368
VictorShade
Side-Kick

^ That didn't answer the question. Fail; try again.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #369
SilentWarriorZ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorShade View Post
^ That didn't answer the question. Fail; try again.
I mean they may get Different Origins and powers source but not as Mutants
like for example : if they may be subjected to some super soldier experiment .

Its just my thought ok .

Old 07-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #370
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
I mean they may get Different Origins and powers source but not as Mutants
like for example : if they may be subjected to some super soldier experiment .

Its just my thought ok .
Okay, so you're not saying that they would change their actual powers, right? I think that was marcvader's original question.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #371
STR1
Side-Kick

Quote:
I guess for the Twins we will get completely different origin with completely different powers in Avengers then .
If they have diffrent powers then they wouldn't be SW and QS.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:34 PM   #372
SilentWarriorZ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
Okay, so you're not saying that they would change their actual powers, right?
Exactly just the origin of their powers

sorry for my bad english .

Old 07-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #373
VictorShade
Side-Kick

The easiest way to explain their powers is to introduce them as Inhumans. Introduces them (QS-SW), into MCU, intro.'s the Inhumans to MCU, which in turn involves the Kree. Who we will prob be introduced to in the Guardians of the galaxy movie.
Big happy circles!

Old 07-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #374
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Exactly just the origin of their powers

sorry for my bad english .
No problem, it's all good... Unless you were born and raised in an English-speaking country--in which case, shame on your teachers! =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorShade View Post
The easiest way to explain their powers is to introduce them as Inhumans. Introduces them (QS-SW), into MCU, intro.'s the Inhumans to MCU, which in turn involves the Kree. Who we will prob be introduced to in the Guardians of the galaxy movie.
Big happy circles!
I like the High Evolutionary idea, especially since it's actually part of QS/SW's origin story in the comics and an entity known as The Other already exists in the MCU. It brings in a neat villain and it also ties to Thanos.

Making them actual Inhumans would have a huge effect on that future movie, and a pretty sharp change from their characters in the comics.

Last edited by spideymouse; 07-03-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #375
Ant-manic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wine-N-Cheese View Post
Better lazy storytelling than bad storytelling. I really don't think it's necessary to include some convoluted backstory, just to explain how a couple of supporting characters' powers came about. If people can take shooting arrows without looking, super-soldier serums, and god-like aliens, they can take born-with-powers.
you're not getting me. of course they can take shooting arrows without looking. there's nothing science fiction-y about a bow and arrow. a marksman's skill doesn't need explanation unless the projectiles are defying the laws of gravity; like in Wanted.

super-soldier serum is an explanation. they spent a good chunk of the movie introducing it. why? because they couldn't just have Steve walk into a room and out with powers. they even set it up in the incredible hulk movie.

and Thor didn't just pop out of nowhere. they introduced his realm. they explained that he's a "god." that's why he can do what he does.

Closed Thread