The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 02:39 AM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - Part 79

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 06-12-2013, 02:39 AM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - Part 78

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 06-12-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - Part 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Hope not
Same. If this is the tone and formula WB/DC are going to use for their future CBMs to establish a JL universe, I think we're good hands. They really handled the fantastical elements and grounded/realistic elements really well whilst creating some new things to freshen it up.
Same for me. I love the formula WB/DC uses and hopes it can co-exist with Marvel's approach, but it appears that critics only want one and WB/DC's isn't it. I believe they're tired of studios trying to elevate CBMs to some kind of high art cinema like Nolan and the TDKT and would prefer something along the lines of The Avengers. Maybe had MOS took a similar approach its reviews wouldn't be so lukewarm.

Last edited by LibidoLoca; 06-12-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:41 AM   #4
TheNextNolan22
**** THIS COMPANY

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - Part 80

Some people are never satisfied, I guess.

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
When it comes to Superman.....Make mine CAVILL
Dats dat.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:43 AM   #5
TheNextNolan22
**** THIS COMPANY

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - Part 80

Oh and Hans Zimmer's score was absolutely freaking fantastic!! I will always love Williams' score, but I wasn't thinking about it once during MOS. Zimmer's score stands on its own and is really some of his best modern work.

Dats dat.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:44 AM   #6
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Anna and JGL had great chemistry on 50/50. I actually haven't it since it hit theaters. I should rewatch it again.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 06-12-2013, 02:47 AM   #7
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Same for me. I love the formula WB/DC uses and hopes it can co-exist with Marvel's approach, but it appears that critics only want one and WB/DC's isn't it. I believe they're tired of studios trying to elevate CBMs to some kind of high art cinema like Nolan and the TDKT and would prefer something along the lines of The Avengers. Maybe had MOS took a similar approach its reviews wouldn't be so lukewarm.
I wholeheartedly agree. I'm enjoying what WB/DC is onto here. Screw purists and critics. I don't care if they call it pompous and pretentious.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Old 06-12-2013, 02:49 AM   #8
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
I definitely think you can see a changing of the guard/trend in that sense. You could see it in a lot of the reviews for TDKR. As someone who ended up not really liking the film I'm not saying that criticism of it was un-justified, but I read a lot of reviews criticizing the film for its dark and serious tone. The implication seemed to be that comic book superhero films should a certain way after The Avengers.

Last edited by DKDetective; 06-12-2013 at 03:02 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:50 AM   #9
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
I, too, find Anna to possess solid comedic timing and expressions. I loved her in 50/50 and I've liked all of her roles outside the Twilight series. She's definitely got a future.

I've got a crush on her too. Seriously, how can anyone hate her?
The same way people can hate puppies - psychosis.

Have you seen interviews with her though? She's funnier and more animated in real life than she's ever been in movies, as this series of videos attests to:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

There are several of those I believe. Her Twitter is gold, too.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
Old 06-12-2013, 02:51 AM   #10
bizarroelaine
Side-Kick

Everyone keeps mentioning how great the final scene is, saying its the best ending. Can someone describe what happens?

Old 06-12-2013, 02:52 AM   #11
TheNextNolan22
**** THIS COMPANY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarroelaine View Post
Everyone keeps mentioning how great the final scene is, saying its the best ending. Can someone describe what happens?
It's Clark at the DP, glasses and everything. And it ends with such a great line. Lois tells Clark "Welcome To The Planet".

Dats dat.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:54 AM   #12
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

That's nonsense though. After Batman Begins was released, critics were talking about how every CBM should be modeled after it ('realistic' and 'serious'). In fact, Iron Man was inspired by Begins.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 06-12-2013, 02:54 AM   #13
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
I definitely think you can see a changing of the guard/trend in that sense. You could see it in a lot of the reviews for TDKR. As someone who ended up not really liking the film I'm not saying that criticism of it was un-justified, but I read a lot of reviews criticizing the film for its dark and serious tone. The implication seemed to be that comic book superhero films should a certain way after The Avengers.[/QUOTE]

That happens. Like after TDK.

I would not say Nolan's Batfilms are 'hight art cinema', they take the subject matter seriously and are well made to a point.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:57 AM   #14
bizarroelaine
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's Clark at the DP, glasses and everything. And it ends with such a great line. Lois tells Clark "Welcome To The Planet".
awesome! Apparently it's done as a montage? What track do they use and how does he look in the glasses? Are they ridiculously oversized? Does he act geeky?

Old 06-12-2013, 02:57 AM   #15
combocaz
Side-Kick

After watching this
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
i think nolan deserves praise for pushing WB to allow this movie to happen. Thank god for Goyer and his procrastinating.

Cyborg -Ray Fisher
Aquaman -Jason Momoa
Old 06-12-2013, 02:58 AM   #16
TheNextNolan22
**** THIS COMPANY

WB/DC should continue this formula they've started and run with it. It'll separate them from Marvel Studios.

Dats dat.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:58 AM   #17
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggyman View Post
That happens. Like after TDK.

I would not say Nolan's Batfilms are 'hight art cinema', they take the subject matter seriously and are well made to a point.
Yeah in retrospect I should have put that in quotation marks.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:59 AM   #18
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's nonsense though. After Batman Begins was released, critics were talking about how every CBM should be modeled after it ('realistic' and 'serious'). In fact, Iron Man was inspired by Begins.
Everything beloved gets turned on in the end. And frankly, people have different expectations for different characters and films.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:01 AM   #19
TheNextNolan22
**** THIS COMPANY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarroelaine View Post
awesome! Apparently it's done as a montage? What track do they use and how does he look in the glasses? Are they ridiculously oversized? Does he act geeky?
I was so emotionally encapsulated with that ending so I might be forgetting a few details, but here is what I remember:
It is done in a Christopher Nolan-style montage, the track that was playing I believe was "What Are You Going To Do When You Are Not Saving The World?" and he doesn't act all that geeky. And sorry, I don't remember the size of the glasses all that well.

Dats dat.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:02 AM   #20
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

This may worry Spidey fans a bit... or not.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:03 AM   #21
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
I would like to point out I was so right. All you who didn't want to believe me and wanted to use the "Metropolis is destroyed argument" are so wrong.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:05 AM   #22
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger

The RT scores for Returns and this shouldn't be compared, although understandably they are. It's a different time now, and a barrage of cb films have come since. There's new levels to judge it against, there's the burn-out factor that even I'm feeling a bit due to the continuous releases in the genre.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:06 AM   #23
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Yep, that's why I mentioned there seems to be have been a changing of the guard. Audiences, including critics, are fickle like that. The Nolan approach is old news now.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:06 AM   #24
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
I would like to point out I was so right. All you who didn't want to believe me and wanted to use the "Metropolis is destroyed argument" are so wrong.
Gloryhound.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:08 AM   #25
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combocaz View Post
After watching this
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
i think nolan deserves praise for pushing WB to allow this movie to happen. Thank god for Goyer and his procrastinating.
Unintentionally Goyer just showed the ridiculous amount of power Nolan has over WB. That's freaking crazy.

Nolan: Yo my bud has this Superman story. Make it into a movie. K bye.

WB: Ok.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Closed Thread