The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 06-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #626
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel - Part 3

I disagree that a character can have a personal "theme" that is only used once and then never appears again. A theme or leitmotif by definition is recurring, as it comes to be a musical symbol or sign for the character's appearance or actions. The two-note motif fits that mold. The track you are referring to does not.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #627
scifiwolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
Yes
Thanks for that. I have a sort of dyslexia after seeing a movie. I remember it vividly, but can't quite recall the chronology of the scenes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Newlander View Post
Hans Zimmer to me, is by far one of the most over-rated composers out there. Before I get turned upon by his Fanboy defenders, I will admit I still rate him highly.

I find very few of his scores stick in my head, it's very ironic that the night I went to see Superman, the excitement was coming out as a John Williams hum. I found myself also humming it when I came out the cinema still buzzing from the show (that short term buzz wore off when I realised with reflection I actually didn't like the movie particularly at all)

I wanted the movie to make the hairs on the back of my neck and arms stand on edge, and it would do this with the imagery/music combo. A grand Superman theme, played when Superman was being.. Well Super.. I got nothing, the score was poor, uninspiring.

JW score would have fitted just fine into MoS, I do however believe that change isn't a bad thing, of course not. However if your going to change it, make it a punchy grand theme, it's Superman after all, and JW nailed it first time round. So let's try ultra hard to try and make a good theme. Got none of that, it was bad enough watching 45mins of CGI destructive overkill, but without even a rousing score!!!!

Hans, talented as he is, will have very little scores or pieces of music that people will hum and remember in 20 years time. Something Goldsmith, Williams, Morricone, Horner and many more will have or already do. All just my opinion.
I agree with you that Hans is great, but can be overrated. I've before, though, I think he gets criticized a bit more than he deserves because he doesn't do melodic themes like a John Williams, Alan Silvestri, or Jerry Goldsmith. I find his music can be equally emotional as those types of scores, but he gets put down a bit because of preference rather than quality. That being said, I'm finding that this score is a touch lacking. I prefer his second two Batman scores over this one. It's got some rousing, emotionally inspirational cues, but it's not quite on the level of some other things he's done. till enjoying the hell out of it, though.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #628
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I wouldn't consider "Why Do We Fall?" a theme, but I do appreciate how there's a bit of reprisal of what I call the "Bruce Wayne theme" from Begins there.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #629
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwolf View Post
I find his music can be equally emotional as those types of scores, but he gets put down a bit because of preference rather than quality.
I can enjoy Zimmer's scores even if it's synth heavy. Black Rain is a good example. Does that mean that approach works for Batman or Superman? It's debatable, but judging what he delivered for those. I don't think it does. His superhero/comic book scores lack a lot of what some of his best scores have, imo. His MOS and Batman scores sren't even on the same level as Gladiator, The DaVinci Code, or even Sherlock Holmes, imo. His superhero scores come off too simple and even at times cheapens some moments in 'em. It's okay to go simple, but he went way too simple for both DC franchises.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #630
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Funny how Zimmer didn't deliver what he promised at all. Where was the old style Americana music he promised in so many interviews to represent Smallville? Where was the emphasis on Superman's heroism to make the score not as dark as the TDK scores? Instead the score is largely dominated by the descending Krypton theme and the heroism theme appears only a few times... and there's no "Americana" at all.

This is just like when Zimmer promised in so many interviews that Batman would get a complete theme later because "he hadn't earned it yet" in BB and TDK. Well in TDKR he didn't get it... guess he never "earned it." I'll know better than to read Zimmer interviews after this point.
I take it you pretty much feel the way I did abot it...like.."That's it? That's all...?"

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #631
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
I disagree that a character can have a personal "theme" that is only used once and then never appears again. A theme or leitmotif by definition is recurring, as it comes to be a musical symbol or sign for the character's appearance or actions. The two-note motif fits that mold. The track you are referring to does not.
I agree. I took a film score class a few years ago, and while I've already forgotten most of the technical stuff, I do remember discussing this. I really liked the music that played during some of the flashbacks, but overall, I felt like the score in its entirety was very repetitive which is why I consider it unimpressive. Even now, after seeing the movie twice and listening to the score repeatedly for the past few days, there are several tracks that just pass me by and bleed into each other. There are only a select handful that stand out on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwolf View Post
Thanks for that. I have a sort of dyslexia after seeing a movie. I remember it vividly, but can't quite recall the chronology of the scenes.
No problem, I didn't even notice it was out of order myself until I saw that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
I take it you pretty much feel the way I did abot it...like.."That's it? That's all...?"
That's definitely how I felt after the first listening. Like I said before, for a film that is supposed to be as big as this is, the score didn't match up to it.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #632
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
That's definitely how I felt after the first listening. Like I said before, for a film that is supposed to be as big as this is, the score didn't match up to it.
Part of me wonders if he was being too reverential to Williams' stuff...like he was trying too hard to do things the opposite and not have it be big and sweeping and really memorable, etc. I first wondered if the film may have not given him much to 'work with', but that's never stopped him in the past...he'll force something in at gunpoint if he wants to, y'know?

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)

Last edited by KalMart; 06-17-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #633
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

If William's Superman score is a 10 then Zimmer's score is a 1.
Zimmer was perfect for Batman, I think his Batman score destroys Elfmans' but for Superman it doesn't fit, at all.

spider-neil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #634
Rocketman
Side-Kick

Help! This is driving me nuts.

I have the 2-Disc Special Edition of the score, and I'm trying desperately to find a piece of music from a particular scene:

When Lois is on the Kryptonian ship, and she meets Jor-El, Jor-El guides her as she shoots Zod's henchmen. Meanwhile, Superman is chained to the table. The music is insanely awesome - a combination of a siren mixed with a weird techno synth rhythm, almost like a video game.

I'm sure someone else has asked... but please help! What track is it on?

Old 06-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #635
Jim-El
"My Son"

I know what piece of music you are talking about, but I do not believe it was released on the soundtrack.

"The Kryptonian prophecy will be at last fulfilled. The son becomes the father, the father becomes the son. Farewell forever Kal-El. Remember me my son." - Jor-El/Marlon Brando/Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
Jim-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #636
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Yea! I was just humming that to my friend trying figure out if he knew or liked that part.....please let me know if you guys find out....I think it played a little during the bombing of the world engine to

Old 06-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #637
Dragon_316ca
Side-Kick

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...4572574&type=1
Quote:
Did you hear the little "easter Egg" in teh track "Oil Rig" on the MOS Soundtrack? Here's the story behind it!

Zack (Snyder) carried his daughter on his shoulders on the scoring-stage. She was watching with total fascination. When Nick Glennie-Smith, our conductor raised his arms over his head to give the musicians the downbeat, she could help but go: "Uh-Oh!". Perfectly covered innocence by all the microphones.

Matthew Modine: You can't really relate to Thor, for instance! I like the story, but I don't relate to him -- I can't use his hammer!
Dragon_316ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #638
Milu
Batterson J. Manford III

Heh, that's adorable.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #639
Poeman
Banned User

Posting this here

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Finished putting this together using the Once Upon a Time in the West Ennio Morricine masterpiece Soundtrack that Hans was inspired by in his Sketchbook piece...Aligned it with the "Fate of your Planet" trailer...What do you all think?

Poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #640
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_316ca View Post
So that is the voice that plays around the beginning of the song? Neat-o.

GENERAL RAAM582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #641
SonofJorEl
Side-Kick

Can't stop listening to the soundtrack. Han's did a mighty fine job imo personally. Love it.

SonofJorEl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:13 PM   #642
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
If William's Superman score is a 10 then Zimmer's score is a 1.
Zimmer was perfect for Batman, I think his Batman score destroys Elfmans' but for Superman it doesn't fit, at all.

Zimmer's Batman scores were far from perfect, imho. More like average. Those scores don't even put a dent on Elfman's, Walker's, or even Goldenthal's Batman scores, for that matter. Though I do agree with Zimmer's MOS "noisefest"not measuring up to Williams' masterpiece. Williams score had a lot more heart and soul in it. While Zimmer's is the usual droning. If that piano piece or whatever is the heart of the score. Then he failed miserably b/c it was nothing special but redundant piano music that even a 5th grade pianist could come up with. This guy doesn't understand how to score superhero movies, imo. It's a shame that Powell or Davis wasn't available.I really believe they would've wrote something more fitting and even special. It probably wouldn't have measured up Williams score of course, but I bet either of them would've came up with something that screams this generation's Superman. Zimmer missed the mark again.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #643
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

I still think the Transformers composer would have done a really good job.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:28 PM   #644
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post

I have the 2-Disc Special Edition of the score, and I'm trying desperately to find a piece of music from a particular scene:

When Lois is on the Kryptonian ship, and she meets Jor-El, Jor-El guides her as she shoots Zod's henchmen. Meanwhile, Superman is chained to the table. The music is insanely awesome - a combination of a siren mixed with a weird techno synth rhythm, almost like a video game.

I know exactly what it is, and I love the leitmotif he created for Lois in that scene (it was also used in the cave scene, and when she's investigating Clark's past.) Sadly, all three are unreleased.

#wtF

#IbelieveinBatfleck2k16
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:08 AM   #645
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
Zimmer's Batman scores were far from perfect, imho. More like average. Those scores don't even put a dent on Elfman's, Walker's, or even Goldenthal's Batman scores, for that matter. Though I do agree with Zimmer's MOS "noisefest"not measuring up to Williams' masterpiece. Williams score had a lot more heart and soul in it. While Zimmer's is the usual droning. If that piano piece or whatever is the heart of the score. Then he failed miserably b/c it was nothing special but redundant piano music that even a 5th grade pianist could come up with. This guy doesn't understand how to score superhero movies, imo. It's a shame that Powell or Davis wasn't available.I really believe they would've wrote something more fitting and even special. It probably wouldn't have measured up Williams score of course, but I bet either of them would've came up with something that screams this generation's Superman. Zimmer missed the mark again.
The Zimmer Batman score really resonates with me, I barely remember the Elfman Batman score but then I'm not a fan of the Burton Batman movies at all.

I can't remember a single beat of the Zimmer Superman score the music left no impression on me whatsoever.

spider-neil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:15 AM   #646
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post

The siren is likely just part of the sound design, so won't likely be part of the music. I could be wrong, btw.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:42 AM   #647
gumperman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elayis View Post
Okay, for those of you interested, I've figured out a film order that I'm more or less ok with, after seeing the film last night. I'm not entirely sure about the placement of "General Zod" or "Arcade", but I do know that at least some of those tracks are used in those instances (I think those tracks are suites). I couldn't locate "This is Clark Kent", "This is Madness!" or "Earth" anywhere in the film.

On a side note, I was pleasntly surprised to find out that most of the tracks on the album are more or less the versions used in the movie.

So here it is:

CD1: 01. Look to the Stars [02:58]
CD1: 04. DNA [03:34]
CD1: 05. Goodbye My Son [02:01]
CD1: 12. Ignition [01:19]
CD1: 11. Launch [02:36]
CD1: 13. I Will Find Him [02:57]
CD1: 07. Krypton's Last [01:58]
CD1: 02. Oil Rig [01:45]
CD2: 02. Are You Listening, Clark? [02:49]
CD1: 03. Sent Here for a Reason [03:46]
CD1: 15. I Have So Many Questions [03:47]
CD1: 16. Flight [04:18]
CD1: 09. Tornado [02:53]
CD2: 04. You Led Us Here [02:59]
CD2: 07. Arcade [07:25]
CD2: 03. General Zod [07:21]
CD1: 08. Terraforming [09:49]
CD1: 10. You Die or I Do [03:13]
CD1: 06. If You Love These People [03:22]
CD1: 17. What Are You Going to Do When You Are Not Saving the World? [05:27]

CD1: 14. This is Clark Kent [03:47]
CD2: 01. Man of Steel (Hans' Original Sketchbook) [28:16]
CD2: 05. This is Madness! [03:48]
CD2: 06. Earth [06:11]
The 'This is Madness!' track should be track 2, after Look to the Stars right? I mean Jor-El says that line to Zod during there first scene together in the council chambers or whatever that place was, but maybe DNA is what they ended up using? I'll have to listen to both to find out. Thanks for the order, I will listen to it this way from now on! Cheers!

gumperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #648
scifiwolf
Side-Kick

So I added Flight and What Are You Going to Do? to my workout mix for my lifting session last night. I think it was the latter was playing during my olympic barbell curls. The crescendo hit right in my fourth set as I was hitting failure. Man, I've always had a problem getting past that to a drop set on biceps, but that music really gave me such a boost. Say what you want about the merits of Zimmer's approach, but it certainly hits the right emotional chords, so to speak.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #649
BrollySupersj
Burning RED!

I gotta be honest, for a while I thought that a good live action Superman score just couldn't be done without the John Williams theme. But Hans Zimmer really worked some spectacular creative magic for MOS. The music was just incredible. Loved every bit of it.

BrollySupersj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #650
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

I thought the score was great but at times he didn't really use them in as rousing a manner as possible.

It just thudded along at times instead of reaching an appropriate crescendo, which is surprising since he nailed it on the Batman films.

Though I'll admit, I'd have loved to hear a Michael Giacchino or Alan Silvestri score for this film. Even Bryan Tyler would've probably come up with some great stuff.