The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 11:12 PM   #351
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz
 
BlueLightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,291
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

A friend gave me that cup as a gift... he is a good man.

__________________

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 11:14 PM   #352
Cory
Side-Kick
 
Cory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Roose Bolton's Cubbard
Posts: 19,989
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
I have that cup!
I have never used it

__________________
Return of the Mack
Cory is offline  
Old 06-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #353
Brother Jack
Onion Knight
 
Brother Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Future
Posts: 6,160
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
I have that cup!
So do I. I also have one with Kilmer's Batman on it. Those cups are durable, man.

__________________
O Captain! My Captain! Rise up and hear the bells.
Rise up, for you the flag is flung, for you the bugle trills.
For you bouquets and ribbon'd wreaths, for you the shores a-crowding.
For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Brother Jack is online now  
Old 06-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #354
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!
 
Anita18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 24,428
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I had a moment Monday night where I was 20 minutes early, so I snuck into Man of Steel which had just started to watch for a few minutes. Even though I've only seen MoS once and Rises like 20 times, I realized I truly would rather watch Rises.


Same thing happened to me. The MOS screening that was playing was at the beginning of the Metropolis destruction, and I figured I preferred story with my action. (And even then, there's a very good reason why the Bane/Batman fights were both less than 5 minutes long...) Plus, I'd missed all the Henry Cavill shirtless scenes so what was the point?!

People still clapped at the end of my AMC screening. I totally shook and cried and got a bit miffed when they put the lights up immediately as the credits started. JUST LEAVE ME ALONE WITH MY FEELINGS FOR A MINUTE WILL YOU?!

I truly appreciate how all the Nolan Batfilms were actually ABOUT something other than defeating the bad guy and saving the day. To have Bruce learn that living through pain isn't a real way to live...that's just beautiful, man.

__________________
To relive the TDK virals (or learn more!) visit http://www.whysoseriousredux.com
Anita18 is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 06:01 AM   #355
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 22,725
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

MOS is no less 'about' something than BB, and in fact both stories run along the same structure.

It shouldn't be necessary to be derogatory about other films in order to defend the previous Bat-trilogy.

__________________
Difficult, difficult, lemon-difficult.
regwec is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #356
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!
 
Anita18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 24,428
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Well I can readily admit that BB is the most comic-book-movie formulaic and least Nolan-y of all the Batfilms. And also admittedly, BB did that structure better than MOS. MOS at least has a less repetitive script. If I heard "fear" one more time...

And I'm referring to all the Marvel movies too. There's room for both serious and fun comic book movies, but there's so many non-serious and fun ones (ie, everything else), that I'm glad we have a serious and really really good trilogy to call our own.

__________________
To relive the TDK virals (or learn more!) visit http://www.whysoseriousredux.com
Anita18 is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #357
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 22,725
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Actually, I don't find much of Marvel's output to be 'fun'. 'Dumb' often seems to be mistaken for 'fun'.

__________________
Difficult, difficult, lemon-difficult.
regwec is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #358
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick
 
redfirebird2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,830
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
MOS is no less 'about' something than BB, and in fact both stories run along the same structure.

It shouldn't be necessary to be derogatory about other films in order to defend the previous Bat-trilogy.
Other people take potshots at the Nolan trilogy all the time in order to lift up other movies. If that's how she feels about it, I see no problem with it. Man of Steel's origin story was a bit on the shaky side of things, while the first hour of BB is still the best of the genre.

redfirebird2008 is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 06:14 AM   #359
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!
 
Anita18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 24,428
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Actually, I don't find much of Marvel's output to be 'fun'. 'Dumb' often seems to be mistaken for 'fun'.
Hey, at least I was trying to let them down nicely by calling them "non-serious."

But yeah, I don't really expect the Nolan Batfilms to start a trend except in a very superficial "we're gonna shoot this serious-like!" veneer. If even that. I don't think there will be anything like this trilogy again in a long, LONG time, if ever. But we'll always have this one.

__________________
To relive the TDK virals (or learn more!) visit http://www.whysoseriousredux.com
Anita18 is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #360
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 22,725
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
Other people take potshots at the Nolan trilogy all the time in order to lift up other movies.
I don't excuse that, either, but the Batman trilogy has plenty of virtues, making the criticism of other films by comparison to be unnecessary.

__________________
Difficult, difficult, lemon-difficult.
regwec is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #361
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick
 
redfirebird2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,830
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
I don't excuse that, either, but the Batman trilogy has plenty of virtues, making the criticism of other films by comparison to be unnecessary.
Comparison between movies in the same genre is only natural, especially movies that are made by the same people. If anything, the release of MOS should help people appreciate BB a little more.

redfirebird2008 is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #362
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 22,725
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Or they might decide they prefer MOS.

My point is that denigrating one film doesn't make another better.

__________________
Difficult, difficult, lemon-difficult.
regwec is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #363
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick
 
redfirebird2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,830
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Or they might decide they prefer MOS.

My point is that denigrating one film doesn't make another better.
It's completely subjective regardless.

redfirebird2008 is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 06:31 AM   #364
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!
 
Anita18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 24,428
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Or they might decide they prefer MOS.

My point is that denigrating one film doesn't make another better.
I didn't mean to piss all over MOS in particular. Just appreciating the Nolan Batfilms for what they are now that all these other comic book films have come out too. The difference is just especially striking since I hadn't seen TDKR in a while.

__________________
To relive the TDK virals (or learn more!) visit http://www.whysoseriousredux.com
Anita18 is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 06:39 AM   #365
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 22,725
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

I actually agree with you to an extent. It comes as a slighty disappointment to me that the likes of "Avengers" are used as the example of the other way of approaching a comicbook property. The argument is that they revel in the sound, colour and 'fun' of comics.

I find them to be insipid, patronizing and dull. I would hate to see a Batman film that was levelled squarely at the lowest common denominator. All the same, I hope to oneday see an approach that is different to Nolan's and different to the Marvel Film & Toy factory. Finding 'Iron Man 2' deeply depressing doesn't iron out TDKR's flaws, for me.

__________________
Difficult, difficult, lemon-difficult.
regwec is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #366
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,813
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
I didn't mean to piss all over MOS in particular. Just appreciating the Nolan Batfilms for what they are now that all these other comic book films have come out too. The difference is just especially striking since I hadn't seen TDKR in a while.
I totally feel you there. The refreshing sparsity of CGI alone in the Nolan movies makes them feel like an old friend, like something from an earlier era. The contrast between the trilogy and pretty much all other modern superhero films is stark, to say the least. Even some of the rough fight choreography gives them a bit of a homemade charm to me.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #367
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight
 
BatmanBeyond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Neo-Gotham
Posts: 1,424
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I totally feel you there. The refreshing sparsity of CGI alone in the Nolan movies makes them feel like an old friend, like something from an earlier era. The contrast between the trilogy and pretty much all other modern superhero films is stark, to say the least. Even some of the rough fight choreography gives them a bit of a homemade charm to me.
Yeah, the TDK Trilogy definitely put story and character development above action (at least the fight scenes). Having said that, I must say that I really did enjoy MoS. The story definitely had that 'inspiring' element to it (IMHO), which was prevalent in the Nolan batfilms too and which I really appreciated.

I do enjoy the Marvel films and the universe as a whole, but none of them really have that element. Again, IMHO. The only ones I can think of in this sense are the first Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk. Of course, this is all subjective and these are just my 2 cents.

I'm really looking forward to seeing where they take MoS next though.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
When you're a show that has the writer of The Dark Knight, Jesus, Ben Linus and produced by JJ Abrams, it's hard to get cancelled.
Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
BatmanBeyond is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #368
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick
 
Infinity9999x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,482
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
I actually agree with you to an extent. It comes as a slighty disappointment to me that the likes of "Avengers" are used as the example of the other way of approaching a comicbook property. The argument is that they revel in the sound, colour and 'fun' of comics.

I find them to be insipid, patronizing and dull. I would hate to see a Batman film that was levelled squarely at the lowest common denominator. All the same, I hope to oneday see an approach that is different to Nolan's and different to the Marvel Film & Toy factory. Finding 'Iron Man 2' deeply depressing doesn't iron out TDKR's flaws, for me.
Personally, I find The Avengers and The Dark Knight to be the two examples of great comic films.

I don't think the Avengers is dumb by any means. But it is certainly simpler. It's an action blockbuster with some great humor and great action, and an engaging story.

The Dark Knight was extremely serious, dark, and had a complex story and complex characters. And it was just as great to watch in theaters for me.

I really don't get why people feel the need to rip on TA because I've never seen the film claim to be anything other than what it was: a fun blockbuster with great action. If it were trying to bill itself as another Dark Knight, then I would understand, but it didn't.

To me, comparing the two films is like comparing Saving Private Ryan and Raiders of the Lost Arc. Yes, they both are set in WWII, they both involve heroes fighting Nazi's, and they both have action. But they're completely different films. Yes, SPR has a much more complex storyline and complex characters that ROTA, but that doesn't make Raiders any less enjoyable. We don't rip on Raiders for not being a super serious action flick with an in-depth plot and complex characters, so why are people ripping on The Avengers for the same thing when it was never trying to be that kind of film?

__________________


my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down


X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is online now  
Old 06-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #369
kvz5
HBIC
 
kvz5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 20,473
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

EW's Top 100 Movies of All Time

Quote:
1. Citizen Kane
2. The Godfather
3. Casablanca
4. Bonnie and Clyde
5. Psycho
6. It's a Wonderful Life
7. Mean Streets
8. The Gold Rush
9. Nashville
10. Gone With the Wind
11. King Kong
12. The Searchers
13. Annie Hall
14. Bambi
15. Blue Velvet
16. Singin' in the Rain
17. Seven Samurai
18. Jaws
19. Pulp Fiction
20. The Sorrow and the Pity
21. Some Like It Hot
22. Toy Story
23. Notorious
24. The Sound of Music
25. 2001: A Space Odyssey
26. Bicycle Thieves
27. The Maltese Falcon
28. The Wizard of Oz
29. North by Northwest
30. Sunrise
31. Chinatown
32. Duck Soup
33. The Graduate
34. Adam's Rib
35. Apocalypse Now
36. Rosemary's Baby
37. Manhattan
38. Vertigo
39. The Rules of the Game
40. Double Indemnity
41. The Road Warrior
42. Taxi Driver
43. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
44. On the Waterfront
45. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
46. The Adventures of Robin Hood
47. A Clockwork Orange
48. It Happened One Night
49. Goldfinger
50. Intolerance
51. A Hard Day's Night
52. Titanic
53. Star Wars--Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
54. Breathless
55. Frankenstein
56. Schindler's List
57. Midnight Cowboy
58. The Seventh Seal
59. All the President's Men
60. Top Hat
61. The Silence of the Lambs
62. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
63. Network
64. The Best Years of Our Lives
65. Last Tango in Paris
66. The Shining
67. Rebel Without A Cause
68. GoodFellas
69. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
70. L'Avventura
71. American Graffiti
72. The 400 Blows
73. Cabaret
74. The Hurt Locker
75. Touch of Evil
76. Lawrence of Arabia
77. Dog Day Afternoon
78. Raiders of the Lost Ark
79. Night of the Living Dead
80. Dazed and Confused
81. Blade Runner
82. Scenes From a Marriage
83. The Wild Bunch
84. Olympia
85. Dirty Harry
86. All About Eve
87. La Dolce Vita
88. The Dark Knight
89. Woodstock
90. The French Connection
91. Do the Right Thing
92. The Piano
93. A Face in the Crowd
94. Brokeback Mountain
95. Rushmore
96. Sullivan's Travels
97. Diner
98. All About My Mother
99. There Will Be Blood
100. Sweet Smell of Success

kvz5 is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #370
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,813
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

TDK below Titanic?



All kidding aside though, it's always cool to see a Batman film in such good company. Makes me feel very proud as a fan.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #371
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

The Hurt Locker is a great film, but that's even above TDK?

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #372
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,813
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

I liked Zero Dark Thirty so much more than The Hurt Locker personally.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #373
Kane52630
ANIMUS VOX
 
Kane52630's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Skynet
Posts: 67,244
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

It's flawed because B&R is nowhere to be found on the list.

__________________
Our Demons
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Kane52630 is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #374
milost
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,005
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
Personally, I find The Avengers and The Dark Knight to be the two examples of great comic films.

I don't think the Avengers is dumb by any means. But it is certainly simpler. It's an action blockbuster with some great humor and great action, and an engaging story.

The Dark Knight was extremely serious, dark, and had a complex story and complex characters. And it was just as great to watch in theaters for me.

I really don't get why people feel the need to rip on TA because I've never seen the film claim to be anything other than what it was: a fun blockbuster with great action. If it were trying to bill itself as another Dark Knight, then I would understand, but it didn't.

To me, comparing the two films is like comparing Saving Private Ryan and Raiders of the Lost Arc. Yes, they both are set in WWII, they both involve heroes fighting Nazi's, and they both have action. But they're completely different films. Yes, SPR has a much more complex storyline and complex characters that ROTA, but that doesn't make Raiders any less enjoyable. We don't rip on Raiders for not being a super serious action flick with an in-depth plot and complex characters, so why are people ripping on The Avengers for the same thing when it was never trying to be that kind of film?
Yup, all this. Agreed.


I think that The Dark Knight and The Avengers are the best modern comic book films thus far. They both have very different merits, feelings and intentions but they're the two that stand out in my opinion.

If we expanded the time frame a bit, I'd include Spider-Man 2 in there as well which is also very unlike the other two but still great.


Last edited by milost; 06-27-2013 at 12:31 PM.
milost is offline  
Old 06-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #375
milost
Banned User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,005
Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
It's flawed because B&R is nowhere to be found on the list.
It should have been at the very top, as number 0.

milost is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.