Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #26
Autonet
What?

Default Re: TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavan View Post
Nah I didn't hate it, it was just disappointing. Some just didn't give it a chance. Speaking of other discussion places, by the way.

The gripes for MOS and Amazing were eerily similar:

- reboot
- rehash
- "disrespecting" the previous films
- costume changes
- replacing beloved actor
- too "dark"
- even "rights grab" (Sony/Marvel, DC/Siegel-Shuster estates)
- it's not done by X it can never be good
- only X is a valid interpretation

Sigh. Not even all the trailers and footage have stemmed this.
Pretty sure none of those will be gripes. None of mine anyway.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #27
DanSupKP37
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naite22 View Post
I guess it's because i've build MOS up in my mind to have the same exstremely overly positive early reviews that Dark Knight got. It was CRAZY!!! But this here. it's not even close to that.

And the "not positive reviews tend to be mediocre rather than bad"... And we're suppose to be HAPPY about that??? Amazing spiderman got mediocre reviews, man! So this is certainly not reassuring in any way. MOS don't even seem to be getting the same praise as Avengers did in it's advanced screening period

I know one thing. I will NOT be checking rotten tomorrow, ones the embargo is lifted. Something tells me that we're in for a disappointment. Procentage-wise that is. I'd rather stear clear of these coming reviews, and go in "blank", so I can completely make up my own mind, not feeling influenced to agree with statements of negativity from critics pointing things out - ahead of time. If I don't know about them, then maybe I won't ever think about them ones showing up.
Lets face it critics really liked the Avengers because it was a lot of fun but there wasn't much of a story there. They couldn't waste too much time with a story when so many character arcs needed to be addressed in 2 hrs and 20 min. Loki was a fine villain but Heath Ledger as the Joker he is not.. Avengers was light, fun and filled with action.. MOS looks to be a deep and well thought out origin story with a very menacing villain. I am psyched.. And what tweets are you focusing on so much? Most of them have been glowing not everyone will ever universally praise a film..

Old 06-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #28
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I hope no one was expecting 100% positive reactions to this. tdk and avengers didnt even get that.
The Avengers got 69 on metacritic and TDKR had 78.
Yet, the Avengers had 92% RT while TDKR had 87%.

One website shows how much critics like a movie, while the other shows how many critics like a movie.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #29
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
The Avengers got 69 on metacritic and TDKR had 78.
Yet, the Avengers had 92% RT while TDKR had 87%.

One website shows how much critics like a movie, while the other shows how many critics like a movie.
thank you. exactly my point. not 100%.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:59 AM   #30
DanSupKP37
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I hope no one was expecting 100% positive reactions to this. tdk and avengers didnt even get that.
You know in 2002 critics universally praised Spiderman 1 and Spiderman 2 in 2004.. Yet nobody seems to put them in the conversation of best comic movies of all time. The RT score is vastly overrated..

Old 06-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #31
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSupKP37 View Post
You know in 2002 critics universally praised Spiderman 1 and Spiderman 2 in 2004.. Yet nobody seems to put them in the conversation of best comic movies of all time. The RT score is vastly overrated..
Wow the turnaround was quick with SM2. That's crazy somehow they had a script and started shooting a year after the first came out, and got all the effects (which were quite groundbreaking at the time) all done for 2004 as well. Pretty crazy it turned out as good as it did.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #32
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

If a movie gets 100% in RT yet all the critics give it a 6/10, it's not really saying much.
I would rather the movie gets like 85% and all the positive critics give it a 8-9/10.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #33
Naite22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Hmm, perhaps the somewhat more tame reactions at this stage for MOS is because it's not really breaking any new ground in stuff that's been seen before. The scale of it is no doubt similar to The Avengers last year. And as we know we're sure it's going to eclipse even that, but perhaps not enough for people to go crazy about it again.

I think we're going to get a very solid film. Perhaps the most perfect superhero film in regards to action, story and tone.
I hope for this, dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
So you would rather have all the mediocre reviews actually be negative reviews saying "the worst movie in existence" "the worst movie this year"? Ok then....

Even TDK gets hate. This is probably going to get TDKR type reactions.
No. I just honestly get kinda sad when reviews claims it as being just "mediocre". I wanna hear GOOD and SOLID at least. When the word "mediocre" begins to be used, I get nervous twitches. Can't help it.

Quote:
Naite I'm confidant this film will be everything you want it to be. Just chill, everything's going to be fine. Try and figure out what you're expectations really are. Don't expect the moon. Just expect a great film.
Good advice at his point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalhawj View Post
You worry too much... They have a long time to get MOS ready for us. I have no doubt this movie will be nothing less than amazing. It may not be like TDK because they are different story, but it can be better because its Superman. After this movie is release people will set the bar for how Comic book movie is made going forward. Even the great TDK had early bad review and negative comments. No movie will ever be 100% with no negative review.
Yes, I do. And I know.

And God, I hope you're right about the amazing part! But what does that even mean in todays world??? Cause the word "amazing" was also thrown around a lot regarding Avengers. And while I do really like it and think it's solid, the only "amazing" part for me was how Whedon made all these big characters "mesh" so well together in one movie. That was its greatest achievement. But other than that I truly didn't find it amazing. But it was good for what it was, yes... And it's not that i'm heading towards a Marvel vs. DC debate. But I really, truly am expecting MOS to be much more than what Avengers were/is. Sorry, but that's the truth.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #34
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
And God, I hope you're right about the amazing part! But what does that even mean in todays world??? Cause the word "amazing" was also thrown around a lot regarding Avengers. And while I do really like it and think it's solid, the only "amazing" part for me was how Whedon made all these big characters "mesh" so well together in one movie. That was its greatest achievement. But other than that I truly didn't find it amazing. But it was good for what it was, yes... And it's not that i'm heading towards a Marvel vs. DC debate. But I really, truly am expecting MOS to be much more than what Avengers were/is. Sorry, but that's the truth.
That's what we're all hoping Naite. And I don't know for sure, but I'm getting a good feeling that's what we're gonna get.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #35
Naite22
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's what we're all hoping Naite. And I don't know for sure, but I'm getting a good feeling that's what we're gonna get.
I feel the exact same way. And that's why I actually hate my self for getting "cold feet" about it, when we're so damn close!!! I just can't look at rotten tomorrow. And I'm really gonna have to be careful around these boards the next 5 days leading up to the premier I don't wanna read about stuff that could easily destroy my expectations for the film, just when I'm about to cross that damn finish line. This has been a wait of 3 years. I really wanna have a somewhat clear mind when I see this thing. I'm the type of guy who can't help but to look after those negative things within a movie, if I first read about these issues in a review. Such a curse! And I really don't wanna have any of that negativity stuck in my head when going in to this movie. Must.be.strong!

Old 06-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #36
moviefan!
Side-Kick

Quote:
I feel the exact same way. And that's why I actually hate my self for getting "cold feet" about it, when we're so damn close!!! I just can't look at rotten tomorrow. And I'm really gonna have to be careful around these boards the next 5 days leading up to the premier I don't wanna read about stuff that could easily destroy my expectations for the film, just when I'm about to cross that damn finish line. This has been a wait of 3 years. I really wanna have a somewhat clear mind when I see this thing. I'm the type of guy who can't help but to look after those negative things within a movie, if I first read about these issues in a review. Such a curse! And I really don't wanna have any of that negativity stuck in my head when going in to this movie. Must.be.strong!
Dude... Its a movie....

Old 06-09-2013, 11:23 AM   #37
kalhawj
Side-Kick

If you read some of the review and tweets from the early preview most people are saying its better than avenger both in story and action. Anyway, 4 days left and we can confirm for ourself...

Old 06-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #38
moviefan!
Side-Kick

I wasn't interested in seeing Man Of Steel (cos Superman sucks, lets be fair) but then I saw it's directed by Christopher Nolan...
https://twitter.com/siobhan_varty/st...31299208552449

Heh

Old 06-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #39
moviefan!
Side-Kick

@giteshpandya Will be very curious to hear your thoughts on Man of Steel. I saw it last week & suspect it won't do much repeat biz.
https://twitter.com/jamessanford/sta...25343653363714

Old 06-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #40
mad-sci
Side-Kick

Quote:
Nah I didn't hate it, it was just disappointing. Some just didn't give it a chance. Speaking of other discussion places, by the way.

The gripes for MOS and Amazing were eerily similar:

- reboot
- rehash
- "disrespecting" the previous films
- costume changes
- replacing beloved actor
- too "dark"
- even "rights grab" (Sony/Marvel, DC/Siegel-Shuster estates)
- it's not done by X it can never be good
- only X is a valid interpretation

Sigh. Not even all the trailers and footage have stemmed this.
Huh, I SERIOUSLY don't get these comparisons.

The rebooting of Superman was NEVER an issue, neither was the casting (most people were supportive of Cavill's casting).

As for costume changes, aside from the red pants and S curl (really people), the general consensus has been positive for the suit.

As for disrespecting the established previous films.... Are you kidding me??? The last 7 years have been about most fans arguing for a new continuity/reboot (even Smallville, which started as its own identity, ended with the Donnerverse, from music to stories).

As for the rights issue.... WB were never gonna lose the rights, since the Creators families can't sell them elsewhere (too many issues. Worst case... WB would have to give more money to the families more often).

MOS came after SR, the supposed restart of the Superman franchise. What we got was a GA feeling that we want something new, relevant.

TASM was after 3 financially (2 critically) successful films, and less than 5 YEARS after, for a reboot! (SR came out 19 YEARS after S4 and was a sequel!!). It WAS too soon for that franchise to reboot, as there was no need at all. Redoing the origin (why?), reusing villains in the sequel - lame.

Back to MOS. will it be universally loved? No. Accept that.

BUT will it be a new idea for the franchise? Yes.

It will never achieve universal acclaim, and you were fooling yourself if you think it would.

Look back at Batman Begins reviews in 2005. A reviewer in the UK gave it a poor review because he felt Batman89 was better.

Like that, MOS will be unfairly compared to STM, and some reviewers will react negatively. Accept that.

Why else would Indiana Jones 4 or Sean Connery's NSNA get good reviews by most critics? Nostalgia, and return to what critics find familiar.

Just hope MOS gets a sequel. THAT'S the one critics will fawn over.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #41
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-sci View Post
Just hope MOS gets a sequel. THAT'S the one critics will fawn over.
Fully agree with the post, especially this part.
I don't see it not getting a sequel though.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #42
Naite22
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefan! View Post
I wasn't interested in seeing Man Of Steel (cos Superman sucks, lets be fair) but then I saw it's directed by Christopher Nolan...
https://twitter.com/siobhan_varty/st...31299208552449

Heh
I don't know what's most dumb. The fact that she says that chris Nolan directed it. Or that she says "let's be FAIR - superman sucks" that sure as hell is fair.. Yeah.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #43
SCATT
Side-Kick

When do you guys think we will get a sequel announcement, IF we ever get one? Is it usually done right after the release?

Old 06-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #44
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Any movie can make great trailers. Trailers can cheat the hell out of you! It's the easiest thing to do. We all know this...
And that's why i'm so worried. More than ever before. Cause everything seen from MOS does indeed look more than just promising! It looks absolutely incredible - and I don't use that word lightly! Which is why it's so setting it self up for possibly major disappointments More so than any other movie I've ever been excited to see before.

PLEASE be more than just good MOS!!! Supermans fate rests within this movie.

You are way too worried over this.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #45
TheOneWhoKnocks
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCATT View Post
When do you guys think we will get a sequel announcement, IF we ever get one? Is it usually done right after the release?
I think the likely times would be at Comic-Con or the week after opening weekend.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #46
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

The amount if reviews I've read that say I don't like Superman or he sucks show they don't know the character. It's funny cause they say they like the film so did it not change their opinion?

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 06-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #47
mad-sci
Side-Kick

Ok, there seems to be a general criticism of MOS I'm seeing in a lot of posts now....

It's too long.

Pacing issues, too much info... Who knows?

But it seems to be the biggest sticking point.

Mind you, IM3 and STID were pretty long too, though so was SR (not a good comparison...)

And most posters here wanted a 3 hour cut???!!!

Old 06-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #48
Pickle-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
The word dramatic comes to mind...

Old 06-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #49
KillerMcQueen
Mildly sociopathic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-sci View Post
Ok, there seems to be a general criticism of MOS I'm seeing in a lot of posts now....

It's too long.

Pacing issues, too much info... Who knows?

But it seems to be the biggest sticking point.

Mind you, IM3 and STID were pretty long too, though so was SR (not a good comparison...)

And most posters here wanted a 3 hour cut???!!!
because a lot of reviews are saying the opposite of "too long" and are saying it feels a tad rushed.
and because us nerds love our extended cuts.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #50
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Yeah man. Naite22, take a deep breath dude haha.

Every single comic book movie that's ever been released has had detractors, people saying it's mediocre, etc. Every single one. This genre attracts more opinionated people than probably any other one.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Closed Thread