Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - Part 77

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 06-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
JOE

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - Part 78

Define silly?

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 06-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - Part 79

It's been 12 hours and I still have Arcade stuck in my head.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
TheNextNolan22
RAINMAKKAHHH!!

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - Part 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
I've had it stuck in my head for the past 2 days.

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
When it comes to Superman.....Make mine CAVILL
Dats dat.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
LordofhouseEl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Have you seen the movie?

Old 06-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
mohoo
Side-Kick

I hope that MoS is as good as The Avengers,

.. but I'll settle for Shawshank Redemption level.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

It should be interesting to see where MOS ends up landing at the end of its run in both Box Office Numbers and its critical reception (including RT)

Old 06-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
LordofhouseEl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohoo View Post
I hope that MoS is as good as The Avengers,

.. but I'll settle for Shawshank Redemption level.
Wait but Shawshank is better than the avengers.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

If MOS ends up at a lower percentage than Superman Returns... oh boy.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

Old 06-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #11
!Superman!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE View Post
.......But when 28% of professional critics that get paid to review movies tell you it's not good ......
the problem with "professional critics" is they are just people like us (fanboys/girls or not) but who get paid to watch movies, nothing more. They too can be biased! Some of the reviews i`ve read say " well i`m not a superman fan" or " i never liked superman, he is to clean, he can do everything etc." to start a review like is not a good sign.

then there are reviews like yesterday where a reviewer said this movie is "to loud"...some critics try there best to bash a movie no matter what and the next movie with lets say Batman or Ironman and suddenly all this negative viewpoints in one movie like MoS is to loud are gone and they like " this loud batman/ironman movie" or dont mention it as a bad thing.

i think the best way to know if the movie is good before you see it is to read some reviews of your favorite movies and movies you didnt like and if a critic for all the movies you checked has the same opinion, you stick to this critics reviews. That`s what i`m gonna do from now on.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #12
Smallville13
Side-Kick

I'm hoping ~85%. Hoping. TDKR is 87. Avengers is 92. It's possible. Star Trek 09 is 95 ffs.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #13
robot
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofhouseEl View Post
Wait but Shawshank is better than the avengers.
Shawshank is a classic.. I doubt MOS will be one... it'll be fun, but a classic, no...

Old 06-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #14
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
I'm hoping ~85%. Hoping. TDKR is 87. Avengers is 92. It's possible. Star Trek 09 is 95 ffs.
yet the hobbit is at 65%

Old 06-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
Marvin
Side-Kick

Well, MoS is currently sitting below Returns. Can't wait to see the movie for myself, at which point I'm sure I will be done with modern critics once and for all.

What a mess. It's the hypocrisy and how it affects our community that sucks the most. Between the fate of the El household and the kent household, I would assume there is plenty of "emotional" resonance in the first act. Enough to match the much higher scoring Avengers anyways. And now we have people twisting that "Criticism" into a compliment to nolan's poor action direction in begins.

I love it.

A movie about a man learning to be Superman will finally get the GA invested in the premise, while at the same time piss off people that want what they want. If only the latter group showed up for the last movie.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #16
Superherofan123
Side-Kick

Silly as in too much action. Silly as in it can't decide if it's going to be a serious movie with a strong story or an action blockbuster. It can't have both? (as the positive reviews say it does) idk why you've chosen me in particular to argue with about my expectations for a movie, but it's kind of weird and not why I'm on these boards. Once I've seen the movie I can talk more about it. For now, based on other hypester's reviews, I think I'm going to love this movie. I've been lurking these boards for several years an respect their opinions(the hypsters that have seen it). Anyway, that's the last time I'm supporting my expectations for this movie. I still think it's weird I had to explain my high expectations at all, much less twice.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #17
JOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
yet the hobbit is at 65%
The Hobbit had way too much hype to live up to. There was no way that movie was going to do well with critics. The previous 3 were gold. It almost pulled a Star Wars in that sense.

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat
Old 06-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #18
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Quote:
Have you seen the movie?
I wish.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #19
TheNextNolan22
RAINMAKKAHHH!!

But there IS such thing as "Too Much Action" you know?

Dats dat.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #20
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Darth let me rephrase Generic as in people who don't specifically really like one or two genres like myself whose mostly into CBMs or Horrors and looks forward to these more than the average movie goer. Come on stop busting my gonads you know what I mean

Old 06-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #21
souperman
Side-Dish

...how do the "ratings" compare with the original Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Harry Potter films...?

Only asking cuz critics called ET the greatest film of ALL time and people loved those films (as did I) for what they are and even though they all have "issues" they are great fun and great entertainment.

One of my measures is if I can repeatably watch and enjoy. Some films you see once and then when it is on cable or TV you don't bother watching again.

Some films you can watch all or part every time it is playing and get a kick or thrill or laugh.

From what I have seen so far, I don't think I can be disappointed. It seems that reviews from Superman lovers is very positive and very good from others.

3 more day will tell...

Lois: Call me Lois. Come on, I'll take you to lunch and show you the ropes.
Clark: That'd be great Lois ,...but no Shawarma.

http://soupermanshh.deviantart.com/
Old 06-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #22
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE View Post
The Hobbit had way too much hype to live up to. There was no way that movie was going to do well with critics. The previous 3 were gold. It almost pulled a Star Wars in that sense.
Yet strangely enough I wasn't a massive fan of any of the LOTR films yet I thought the Hobbit was great. Tbh though a lot of that was down to Martin Freeman that guy is so entertaining.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 06-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #23
LordofhouseEl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
But there IS such thing as "Too Much Action" you know?
Not if it ties in with the story there isn't, hence the term mindless action. If every time there is an action scene it fits with what's occurring in regards to plot. Matrix reloaded had to much action in the sense that some action scenes where just thrown in for the sake of action I hope MOS isn't like that.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #24
TheNextNolan22
RAINMAKKAHHH!!

Quote:
Not if it ties in with the story there isn't, hence the term mindless action. If every time there is an action scene it fits with what's occurring in regards to plot. Matrix reloaded had to much action in the sense that some action scenes where just thrown in for the sake of action I hope MOS isn't like that.
Oh, I get you. Judging by most of the reactions on here and most of the reviews I've read, it seems like the action does serve a strong purpose to progress the story, whether or not there's "too much" of it is all up to opinion. Oh well, I'll find for myself in a couple of hours.

Dats dat.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #25
RetroNaz
Bom Bom Bom

What's with all the analytics regarding online critics/reviews whatever you want to call them these days without having seen the film yet?

I base my views on my own opinions, and it's only after that fact, can I read or listen to someone else's view and choose whether I agree or disagree with them.

To base an opinion solely on somebody else's view is lazy armchair "social commentary" at it's finest. Take a step back and actually read what some of you are writing. It's nonsense. Utter nonsense that I'm sure no one would bring up in a normal conversation where you would be held accountable for your claims.

(this is probably coming a little late in the game, apologies to those that are maintain civil conversation).