Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #51
DanSupKP37
Side-Kick

Default Re: TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsontide View Post
I just skimmed over a few of the reviews. If the general audience is going to rely on RT to sway their opinion, they are going to be royally confused.

The reviews are all over the place. Even the negative reviews seem to contradict each other.

This could work in MOS's favor because the GA may not be able to make up their minds based on all the conflicting views and just decide to go see for themselves.

The marketing campaign IMO has been stellar for MOS so if people were drawn in by that they may swing bye RT to see if the reviews are good. If they see it 74 or 75% something like that well that is good and it should not sway them not to go see it.. And as you said most people don't even check they make up their minds before the reviews..

Old 06-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #52
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK elbowstrike View Post
My favorite quote from one review critic is,
"First and foremost, I am blown away by the sheer scale of it. Marvels biggest film so far, The Avengers, looks like a charming episode of Bill Bixby's Incredible Hulk by comparison. And while size doesnt always make something better, if you want to sell the Idea that these are god-like beings battling, then the only way to truly sell that idea is to show what they would do to our planet in the process. No one has staged superhero action like this. No one."

I'm frothing at the mouth waiting for this movie now.
No amount of critical drubbing is going to stop the efffect of good word of mouth if the last 30min. is as well done as it seems to be from early screenings. If your friend says he/she is'nt buying a ticket because of lukewarm reviews I suspect that someone they know who has actually seen it could sell them on "a battle of god like beings" alone.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #53
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
Just like any profession, there are people who are good at their jobs and there are people bad at their jobs, and there are tons of people in the middle. So while I agree that you shouldn't listen to "Miss Ole' Sally Glasses from Middletown, USA," it's not because she's a film critic, it's because she is probably not that great of a film critic.

There is an actual level of skill and education necessary to be a film critic. There are things that makes movies good and movie bad. That's why you have movies that are loved and hated equally among the masses. Film critics are able to identify those things and analyze them academically where the general audience probably doesn't think twice. So to deride the whole profession would be irresponsible. You just need to find the people who know what they are doing.
I understand, but despite one's own knowledge and supposed "expertize"... there is always going to be a subjective bias. Critique isn't a science. What constitutes as a flaw to one critic may not in the eyes of another.

At the end of the day, the only opinion that matters is your own.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #54
Anjow1060
Rattling the cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSupKP37 View Post
The marketing campaign IMO has been stellar for MOS so if people were drawn in by that they may swing bye RT to see if the reviews are good. If they see it 74 or 75% something like that well that is good and it should not sway them not to go see it.. And as you said most people don't even check they make up their minds before the reviews..

That's because this isn't a sequel they can slap a poster together with images from the last outing....

*cough*RISES*cough*

- Jow

Old 06-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #55
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

I was talking to a fellow webmaster and he made a great point. The general public DOES use Rotten Tomatoes. It is a flawed system sure, but they use it.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #56
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAl View Post
Why doesn't anyone complain that iron man doesnt fly pepper potts around the block? Or Captain America doesnt direct traffic, such stupid complaints from some of these reviews.
They miss the innocence and charm that the Reeve films had. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Why the hell would you want that with the aforementioned Marvel characters, when they never had that stigma attached to them?

From the reviews I've read, Snyder delivering empty, vapid supporting characters (even primary protagonist/antagonists) is nothing new. His is a fanboy director, and he is going to prioritize action over touchy, gushy, ooohhs and aahhhhhs moments of Superman saving a kid, flying Lois Lane around town before dining her. Frankly, I don't think audiences will be looking for that this time around. It was done in SR, and done quite well, the flat acting aside. Now we get the action this time around. Frankly, I am not going to be dissappointed if they don't flesh out that relationships between Clark/Lois in this movie. SR covered that already. Save it for the sequel.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #57
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
I understand, but despite one's own knowledge and supposed "expertize"... there is always going to be a subjective bias. Critique isn't a science. What constitutes as a flaw to one critic may not in the eyes of another.

At the end of the day, the only opinion that matters is your own.
Of course your own opinion matters and there is subjectivity to everything. And good critics can remove a good measure of their subjectivity.

That's why there is a science to critiques -- it's called film studies. Again, why do you think there are films that everyone loves or hates? It's because they have succeeded or failed certain knowable criteria. Critics know what the criteria is better than the average joe and some critics know it better than others.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #58
Amelia Pond
Side-Kick

Quote:
You're right. I apologize if it came off that way. That's not what I intended for. I just assumed that type of example would be extreme enough to help deliver the point on a forum I assume is comprised mostly of males. You're right though, it's not a gender thing. I'm sorry if I offended you.
No problem. Thank you for listening. I absolutely agree with you that it's best to approach critics with a heavy dose of skepticism. Ultimately, it's up to audiences to prove the naysayers wrong. If the film does succeed, it will be embraced by the public regardless of its critical reception.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #59
DanSupKP37
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
I was talking to a fellow webmaster and he made a great point. The general public DOES use Rotten Tomatoes. It is a flawed system sure, but they use it.
I think a small percentage that will see the movie use it.. And a score of say 75% is not going to keep them at home..

Old 06-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #60
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Has anybody read a review yet that would seem to confirm their best hopes for the film yet? Something that made you steeple your fingers afterward and go, "Good... GOOD!" Ya know, Palpatine style?

Old 06-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #61
DanSupKP37
Side-Kick

BTW RT sure is flawed new review up rates the movie 3/5 but fresh..

Another is 3/5 and rotten LOL..

Old 06-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #62
Gavan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
They miss the innocence and charm that the Reeve films had. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Well I think there is. At the heart of it, it's intolerance for new visions, new ideas, for change.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #63
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
Of course your own opinion matters and there is subjectivity to everything. And good critics can remove a good measure of their subjectivity.

That's why there is a science to critiques -- it's called film studies. Again, why do you think there are films that everyone loves or hates? It's because they have succeeded or failed certain knowable criteria. Critics know what the criteria is better than the average joe and some critics know it better than others.
So what would you say to an accomplished and well respected film critic who bashed a film everyone else "loved". What would you say to the critic in 1972 who didn't approve of The Godfather? Or the guy in 1977 who thought Star Wars was a schlocky camp-fest that wasn't worth wasting money on. What, were they wrong?

Old 06-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #64
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
So what would you say to an accomplished and well respected film critic who bashed a film everyone else "loved". What would you say to the critic in 1972 who didn't approve of The Godfather? Or the guy in 1977 who thought Star Wars was a schlocky camp-fest that wasn't worth wasting money on. What, were they wrong?
There are always outliers.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #65
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
I think today even more so with smart phones. I use the Flixter app all the time to mark my favorite theaters and check showtimes and the RT scores are posted right there. Now how much people pay attention, I don't know but they are certainly exposed to critic scores more than ever before.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #66
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
BTW RT sure is flawed new review up rates the movie 3/5 but fresh..

Another is 3/5 and rotten LOL..
That is not uncommon. Critics are allowed to give a number rating for the film, but ultimately they have to deem whether it's fresh or rotten. The critic does this, it's not arbitrarily done by RT.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #67
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
That is not uncommon. Critics are allowed to give a number rating for the film, but ultimately they have to deem whether it's fresh or rotten. The critic does this, it's not arbitrarily done by RT.
Yes but its an odd "rotten" rating.
And when I see a 3/5 rated as a "fresh" I'm not fully sure what it means.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #68
DanSupKP37
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't know but they are certainly exposed to critic scores more than ever before.
When you look at movies like TF making a killing at the BO..

Not much...

Old 06-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #69
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
And a lot of parents use sites like Kids-In-Mind.com, which will essentially spoil the entire movie, but it gives them a specific rundown of how much violence/sex/language is in a movie before they decide to take their kids. They'll look at that before they even check the reviews.

I was at a playground with my nephew last week, and a bunch of the parents there were frustrated at how many movies marketed toward their kids wound up scaring the bejesus out of them...

Old 06-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #70
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavan View Post
Well I think there is. At the heart of it, it's intolerance for new visions, new ideas, for change.
I for one adore S:TM/SII for it's heart and charm, and don't think MOS could be harmed, narrative wise if Snyder and Co. had chosen to highlight the more whimsical/fairy tale nature of Superman. But they had alot of ground to cover in one film, so if "romanitc" notions about the mythos had to go, oh well. I love Donner's films, and won't be too surprised if in some ways we see more of S:TM influence than most expect. But just because I love those films and Chris Reeve as Suped doe'nt mean I am not chomping at the bit to ser a modern and different take. Just as long as there are'nt any "Super love child" characters. Wear a rubber this time Supes.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #71
SuperAl
Superman's back!

does superherohype, slashfilm, supermanhomepage, ign reviews typically go to RT? never really understood how someones reviews end up on RT

Old 06-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #72
Showtime
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I think today even more so with smart phones. I use the Flixter app all the time to mark my favorite theaters and check showtimes and the RT scores are posted right there. Now how much people pay attention, I don't know but they are certainly exposed to critic scores more than ever before.
I agree. I have the same app and I use it frequently.

Quote:
I think a small percentage that will see the movie use it.. And a score of say 75% is not going to keep them at home..
No it won't but they are aware of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
And a lot of parents use sites like Kids-In-Mind.com, which will essentially spoil the entire movie, but it gives them a specific rundown of how much violence/sex/language is in a movie before they decide to take their kids. They'll look at that before they even check the reviews.

I was at a playground with my nephew last week, and a bunch of the parents there were frustrated at how many movies marketed toward their kids wound up scaring the bejesus out of them...
Thats a pretty cool site. I know they have a similar tool on IMDB.com as well.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #73
DanSupKP37
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAl View Post
does superherohype, slashfilm, supermanhomepage, ign reviews typically go to RT? never really understood how someones reviews end up on RT
I am pretty sure they do not.. So that's 4 good reviews right there not counted and from good sources.. Although Superman homepage is kinda biased LOL..

Old 06-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #74
conan69
Cimmerian

This is not good.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...-takes-flight/

This reviewer echoes alot of my own complaints about films nowadays, including why I loathe The Amazing Spiderman. Again, I bring that film up becuase it seems to me that this is becoming standard - to do a by the numbers reboot with no joy or heart, skimp on characterization and make lots of video game **** boom. And people will gobble it up.

These filmmakers needs to remember that what made us fall in love with these superheroes in the first place.... was their CHARACTER.

The comparison to JJ Abrams Star Trek is so testicle shrivelling to me, Im actually considering putting off seeing this on Saturday morning.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #75
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
From the reviews I've read, Snyder delivering empty, vapid supporting characters (even primary protagonist/antagonists) is nothing new. His is a fanboy director, and he is going to prioritize action over touchy, gushy, ooohhs and aahhhhhs moments of Superman saving a kid, flying Lois Lane around town before dining her. Frankly, I don't think audiences will be looking for that this time around. It was done in SR, and done quite well, the flat acting aside. Now we get the action this time around. Frankly, I am not going to be dissappointed if they don't flesh out that relationships between Clark/Lois in this movie. SR covered that already. Save it for the sequel.
They may have been true of that Sucker Punch experiment. One might say it was true of 300, though in the same breath the man simply achieved an accurate adaptation of material far more straight forward than the source material here. I won't even get into the dynamics of a solid zombie movie.
Or how he nailed everything in that owl movie none of his detractors bothered watching.

However Snyder imo, makes time for all sorts of things with his story telling. From action to emotional beats. Weather people were won over by Watchmen, no one can deny these "touchy, gushy, ooohhs and aahhhhhs moments" weren't present. From Roarsach's last moments to the dramatic rape scene to the quiet scenes with Patrick Wilson and his shame...

Maybe if like other directors, he just removed the action completely(or at the least delivered it with less splendor), people would actually take notice of the rest of the stuff.