Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #101
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Default Re: TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAl View Post
even the negative reviews get me excited for this film, some of their complaints actually make me happy. i dont want to see any more scenes of superman and lois flying around for a half an hour. Or superman showing up at lois' apartment for a interview.
I don't want to see that, but to me Superman works best when the story centers on Superman and Lois' relationship. I think it helps ground the film, it is also Superman's biggest vulnerability that he cares. Now clearly from some clips I've seen they're going to exploit some of that, and definitely with his relationship with Ma and Pa Kent.

The one thing that I've said has bothered me from what I've heard is lack of screen time for Lois. It won't totally ruin the movie for me, but I think it would be a wasted opportunity.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Old 06-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #102
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavan View Post
Well I think there is. At the heart of it, it's intolerance for new visions, new ideas, for change.
No. That's what you want. It has nothing to do with accepting a new vision or idea. Scaling up the action and compromising story and development of certain characters is not something that can be brushed aside for the mere fact that we simply did not get enough of that in SR. It's a viable complaint, and something that can legitimately be criticized. The Superman/Lois dynamic has always been a staple in the mythos. If they short changed it in this film, then people have a right to be upset.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #103
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
What??? I loved Star Trek.. for me, it was the best movie this year up till now... and beats Ironman 3 hands down..

I guess, it truly is in the 'eye of the beholder'... on what's good what's not...
Into Darkness is my favorite movie of the year so far too. Loved the first movie as well.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #104
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Well this is disappointing so far.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #105
davejames
Side-Kick

Quote:
300 only got a 60% and i thought that movie is amazing, gave me chills.
And Green Lantern only got a 26% and I thought it was fun as hell.

Of course everyone on the planet seemed to love TDKR and I thought it was a long, tedious mess... so who knows WHAT I'll think of MOS. Lol

Old 06-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #106
webhead921
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan69 View Post
This is not good.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...-takes-flight/

This reviewer echoes alot of my own complaints about films nowadays, including why I loathe The Amazing Spiderman. Again, I bring that film up becuase it seems to me that this is becoming standard - to do a by the numbers reboot with no joy or heart, skimp on characterization and make lots of video game **** boom. And people will gobble it up.

These filmmakers needs to remember that what made us fall in love with these superheroes in the first place.... was their CHARACTER.

The comparison to JJ Abrams Star Trek is so testicle shrivelling to me, Im actually considering putting off seeing this on Saturday morning.
Hey, I think Amazing Spider-man had MORE heart than Raimi's Spider-man. Martin Sheen's Uncle Ben and Emma Stone's Gwen were much more well developed and likable than Kirsten Dunst's MJ and Cliff Robertson's Uncle Ben. Anyways, back on topic. I think this will be a better reboot than Amazing Spider-man because it's doing its own thing, rather than trying to repeat what the original did. They're doing a very different Superman movie, which I can respect. From what I've heard, this movie does have character, it's just different than the characterization of previous films (i.e. a serious/doubtful Clark rather than Reeve's Clark). I'm glad that Cavill is doing his own thing rather than trying to recapture Reeve's performance. Reeve will always be the best to me, but Cavill looks great too from what I've seen so far.

I'm Commander Shepard, and Jade Empire is my favorite Bioware game on the Citadel.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #107
Autonet
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davejames View Post
And Green Lantern only got a 26% and I thought it was fun as hell.

Of course everyone on the planet seemed to love TDKR and I thought it was a long, tedious mess... so who knows WHAT I'll think of MOS. Lol
I think people hate Ryan Reynolds for his earliest roles...but he's a decent actor.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #108
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonet View Post
I think people hate Ryan Reynolds for his earliest roles...but he's a decent actor.
Dragonflies in the Garden was a superb performance from him.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:05 PM   #109
Autonet
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggyman View Post
Dragonflies in the Garden was a superb performance from him.
Also liked him in Buried, Chaos Theory, and "Definitely, Maybe"

Old 06-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #110
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Its great to see Scott Mendelson generate so much discussion although its probably only because he didn't like the movie that much. People shouldn't worry too much over it I guess, its not going to count on RT so it won't be another rotten.

Spill

Old 06-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #111
Knightstalker
Boy Wonder

Quote:
300 only got a 60% and i thought that movie is amazing, gave me chills.

Hell yes, one of my favourites

Old 06-11-2013, 01:12 PM   #112
Ozymandias
The World's Smartest Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
No. That's what you want. It has nothing to do with accepting a new vision or idea. Scaling up the action and compromising story and development of certain characters is not something that can be brushed aside for the mere fact that we simply did not get enough of that in SR. It's a viable complaint, and something that can legitimately be criticized. The Superman/Lois dynamic has always been a staple in the mythos. If they short changed it in this film, then people have a right to be upset.
Except, having seen the movie, I didn't feel that any of the story was compromised for the sake of scaling up the action. There's only two major action scenes, and they take place during the last 45 minutes of the movie. The first hour and a half is almost all character development.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #113
Autonet
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Except, having seen the movie, I didn't feel that any of the story was compromised for the sake of scaling up the action. There's only two major action scenes, and they take place during the last 45 minutes of the movie. The first hour and a half is almost all character development.
I found it to be more 50/50.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Smallville, World Builder, and Zod 1v1 as the major action scenes. Once he tackles Zod it's all go time baby.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #114
ThreadPool
Internet Narcissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princedeville View Post
Yup. And I guarantee by the time Friday hits, the overall review roundup will be in the high 70s, possibly low 80s

A lot of us are overreacting..

All of this Tomatometer talk is tiresome. Everyone that's freaking out should go through RT and find their top 10 favorite movies.
I doubt every one of them is in the 80s and 90s.
I LOVE 'Kicking & Screaming'...42%
'Inception' is actually my favorite Nolan movie... 86% compared to 'TDK's 94%
From what I've seen I might love MoS, but whatever. We'll see soon enough.

COME SAY HELLO
SZA
Julia
Old 06-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #115
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webhead921 View Post
Hey, I think Amazing Spider-man had MORE heart than Raimi's Spider-man. Martin Sheen's Uncle Ben and Emma Stone's Gwen were much more well developed and likable than Kirsten Dunst's MJ and Cliff Robertson's Uncle Ben. Anyways, back on topic. I think this will be a better reboot than Amazing Spider-man because it's doing its own thing, rather than trying to repeat what the original did. They're doing a very different Superman movie, which I can respect. From what I've heard, this movie does have character, it's just different than the characterization of previous films (i.e. a serious/doubtful Clark rather than Reeve's Clark). I'm glad that Cavill is doing his own thing rather than trying to recapture Reeve's performance. Reeve will always be the best to me, but Cavill looks great too from what I've seen so far.
Agreed, I liked The Amazing Spider-Man more than Raimi's Spider-Man, looking forward to TASM 2.

Also, this (MOS) is not like Donner's Superman movie, so critics have to understand that it will be a different movie tonally.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Old 06-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #116
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

The Reeve/Donner films cast a long and wide shadow. Rightly so IMHO. Alot of reviewers have an expectation of some kind of similar tone. IM1 was a fun adventure film with a quick witted hero and a brisk pacing. IM2 was a messy bore that made cross that thin line between loveable wiseass and straight up douchieness. The first film brought expectations of tone and content that were not met. That can't be helped. MOS is going to have certain expectations from some critics that won't be met because the most widely seen incarnation had a certain tone and style. So be it. The proof of the pudding is in the tasting. Soon enough we will all know. Let's ease back on the throttle a little people.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #117
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Without spoiling anything, do you feel that the movie could have benefited by extra 20 minutes of character driven scenes ?

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Old 06-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #118
Gavan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
The Reeve/Donner films cast a long and wide shadow. Rightly so IMHO
If only they lived up to their 30 years' worth of reputation.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #119
SuperAl
Superman's back!

Seems funny that critics complained that a serious movie is too serious, its like complaining that there is too much singing in les miserables

Old 06-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #120
DanSupKP37
Side-Kick

Quote:
Seems funny that critics complained that a serious movie is too serious, its like complaining that there is too much singing in les miserables
Which they did.. Les Mis was a huge hit at the BO, audiences loved it and it was nominated for best picture..

RT score of 69% LOL..

Old 06-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #121
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by serendipity View Post
From the Variety review -
Gone, too, are any of those lighter moments, fondly remembered from Supermen past, in which our hero in or out of disguise used his powers for decidedly non-super feats and, by doing so, grew closer to his fellow man. One longs to see this Superman change a flat or rescue a kitten from a tree or take Lois for a flight around the block

ha ha. good, GOOD. thats what I wanna hear. That Makes me even more hungry.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #122
Princess Denise
Movie Fan

I don't understand why everyone is so upset with a 74% positive rating. I know its only 33 reviews, but so far so good!

Old 06-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #123
FlawlessVictory
Side-Kick

Down to 71% now, 25 and 10

Old 06-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #124
king666
(‿)

35 reviews, 25 positive, 10 negative.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #125
davejames
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavan View Post
If only they lived up to their 30 years' worth of reputation.
I think they still do. But much like other old classics, you have to look at them from the perspective of the time they were made.

Closed Thread