The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

View Poll Results: Which next generation platform will you buy?
Leaning Xbox 4 4.04%
Definitely Xbox 3 3.03%
Leaning Playstation 8 8.08%
Definitely Playstation 78 78.79%
Other (Wii U, PC, handheld, mobile) 2 2.02%
Undecided 4 4.04%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #26
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Default Re: Xbox One vs. Playstation 4 - Round TWO

On the subject of backwards compatibility, how will the PS4 handle that? I know they are using the cloud, but how would i be able to play my Uncharted 3 on my PS4 if my UC3 is a physical copy?

It seems like i wouldnt, making sonys BC policies no better than Microsofts.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #27
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upset Spideyfan View Post
My brother serves on a navy ship. This essentially means that the Xbox One would be completely useless to him and his fellow servicemen for long stretches while they are underway, which is exactly the kind of situation you want a game console functioning.
Theyve already said they're working on ways for it to work for them. As for the spying hey if MS wants to watch me walk around naked by all means be my guest even though they've already said that the thing is off, it can be turned off at any time and is just waiting to hear xbox on

Old 06-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #28
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
My brother serves on a navy ship. This essentially means that the Xbox One would be completely useless to him and his fellow servicemen for long stretches while they are underway, which is exactly the kind of situation you want a game console functioning.
But what if you dont? Looking at this from a potential 1 purchasers perspective(ie Jacobed), i wouldn't give a s**t if our service men and women can or cant play a video game. So why would that be an argument against it?

Old 06-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #29
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
On the subject of backwards compatibility, how will the PS4 handle that? I know they are using the cloud, but how would i be able to play my Uncharted 3 on my PS4 if my UC3 is a physical copy?

It seems like i wouldnt, making sonys BC policies no better than Microsofts.
They have specifically said the PS4 is not BC. The "Cloud" is just their streaming Gaikai service which will eventually offer PS3 games on it. They haven't said what kind of model the service will use (like, is it free with PS+, a subscription, or do you buy individual games).

Your copy of UC3 is of no consequence.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #30
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

Quote:
But what if you dont? Looking at this from a potential 1 purchasers perspective(ie Jacobed), i wouldn't give a s**t if our service men and women can or cant play a video game. So why would that be an argument against it?
I'm not talking about it from Jacobed's perspective. I am talking about it from the perspective of gamers who legitimately do not have access to the internet for prolonged stretches.

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #31
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
I'm not talking about it from Jacobed's perspective. I am talking about it from the perspective of gamers who legitimately do not have access to the internet for prolonged stretches.
Yea and im saying that someone like him wouldn't see that as a negative. Its a non issue for him. Plus how many gamers can that actually be? It cant be that many and why MS didnt mind excluding them.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #32
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
I have yet to hear a reasonable argument against it.
And I have yet to hear a reasonable argument for it.

- The PS4 has more raw power.
- It will be $100 cheaper.
- I'm not required to attach a camera to it so it works.
- I will have to never worry about not being able to play a single player game, if my internet gets wonky or Anonymous decides to bring the servers down.

I also don't buy used games or trade them in. So it's something that wouldn't affect me in the least, if I'd get an Xbox One. But because it doesn't affect me, I'm not gonna say "F**k everyone else, I'm good." Not everyone can buy every game new. So they buy one game, play them once, then sell them to finance their next game. Or they have friends that lend them their game.

And I don't know who it was that made this excellent point, but when you are able to just rent a game, or borrow it from a friend, you might find out that you actually really like it. So it will become a franchise that you look forward to and actually want to buy new. You might say there are Demos you can try. But sometimes it takes more than a 30 minute demo to find out if you actually like the game.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #33
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrainedEyes View Post
They have specifically said the PS4 is not BC. The "Cloud" is just their streaming Gaikai service which will eventually offer PS3 games on it. They haven't said what kind of model the service will use (like, is it free with PS+, a subscription, or do you buy individual games).

Your copy of UC3 is of no consequence.
Ah, so then their BC policy is just like MS's then? Meaning there is no BC policy. Weak sauce.

Guess im keeping my PS3 as well, i mean once the damn thing is fixed.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #34
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
I'm not talking about it from Jacobed's perspective.
Still nota good argument since theyve talked about that already

Old 06-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #35
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post

- I will have to never worry about not being able to play a single player game, if my internet gets wonky or Anonymous decides to bring the servers down.

So did the PS3 and that never really meant much.

Im with ya on the others tho, 100%.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #36
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

Quote:
Yea and im saying that someone like him wouldn't see that as a negative. Its a non issue for him. Plus how many gamers can that actually be? It cant be that many and why MS didnt mind excluding them.
I'm not trying to convince him or anything like that so I don't expect to, but its just another example of MS being really ****** to its customers with this always online DRM nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Still nota good argument since theyve talked about that already

They've made vague promises of working on it, and aside from giving him some kind of a special Xbox One that doesn't require Always online (hah) I don't really see how they are going to resolve that issue.

The Doctor
Old 06-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #37
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:

I also don't buy used games or trade them in. So it's something that wouldn't affect me in the least, if I'd get an Xbox One. But because it doesn't affect me, I'm not gonna say "F**k everyone else, I'm good." Not everyone can buy every game new. So they buy one game, play them once, then sell them to finance their next game. Or they have friends that lend them their game.

And I don't know who it was that made this excellent point, but when you are able to just rent a game, or borrow it from a friend, you might find out that you actually really like it. So it will become a franchise that you look forward to and actually want to buy new. You might say there are Demos you can try. But sometimes it takes more than a 30 minute demo to find out if you actually like the game.
Well said.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 06-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #38
SolarTiger
Side-Kick

The PS4 is still seen as the technically superior console right? I mean when it comes to which one is just flat out better when it comes to performance, the PS4 has XBone beat out right?

So its the better system, can function without any sort of online required, lets you borrow and lend at the very least 1st party games, and is 100 dollars cheaper? Not much of a decision there. I'm leaning towards getting this day one even if there's not a lot of games available at launch. I don't want to play Watchdogs on my 360, that seems like it will work best on next gen. And Destiny, although not usually my type of game looks absolutely sick.

As for the third party DRM, that sucks but again, aside from Battlefront and ME, that means I'll just pass on any EA game. No taking chances on any of their other games other than the games I would buy brand new anyway.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #39
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

Quote:
So did the PS3 and that never really meant much.

Im with ya on the others tho, 100%.

Though the PS3 shot itself in the foot with the Cell and weird architecture decisions that made it difficult for developers. That's not the case this go-around.

The Doctor
Old 06-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #40
Nathan

Quote:
Ah, so then their BC policy is just like MS's then? Meaning there is no BC policy. Weak sauce.

At least I can't understand it with the PS4. The architecture is completely different from the PS3. So it would probably take some horsepower to have an emulator that plays your PS3 games. But it's a dumb move on Microsoft's side, not to offer backwards compatibility. The 360 was already like a PC. The Xbox One is gonna be a more powerful PC. Plus they are calling it the damn One, because it's supposed to be the only piece of hardware you need in the living room. Well, not if you want to replay your old Halo and Gears games.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #41
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarTiger View Post
The PS4 is still seen as the technically superior console right? I mean when it comes to which one is just flat out better when it comes to performance, the PS4 has XBone beat out right?
Depends on how you look at it. The PS4 is set up to deliver better visuals while the XB1 is set up to deliver better AI and more expansive game worlds(thats just the differences between GDDR5 and DDR3). Plus with what they are doing with the cloud, they can add a lot more power overall, so even tho the specs dont match up, in the end it wont matter much at all.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #42
SolarTiger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Depends on how you look at it. The PS4 is set up to deliver better visuals while the XB1 is set up to deliver better AI and more expansive game worlds(thats just the differences between GDDR5 and DDR3). Plus with what they are doing with the cloud, they can add a lot more power overall, so even tho the specs dont match up, in the end it wont matter much at all.
Can't Sony do the exact same things with the cloud though?

Old 06-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #43
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
At least I can't understand it with the PS4. The architecture is completely different from the PS3. So it would probably take some horsepower to have an emulator that plays your PS3 games. But it's a dumb move on Microsoft's side, not to offer backwards compatibility. The 360 was already like a PC. The Xbox One is gonna be a more powerful PC. Plus they are calling it the damn One, because it's supposed to be the only piece of hardware you need in the living room. Well, not if you want to replay your old Halo and Gears games.
Eh i dont see the difference. You cant say oh its ok that Sony isnt doing BC, but then turn around and say well its BS that Microsoft isnt doing BC. That just makes ya look like a fanboy. I mean MS has said the EXACT same thing that you just stated Sony said. They've claimed the architecture is too different to allow 360 games to run on it.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #44
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:

No, MS has stated no alternative to BC. Sony specifically stated that they will use Gaikai to stream PS3 games. That alone makes it better

Old 06-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #45
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Can't Sony do the exact same things with the cloud though?
Id have no idea. Im not sure they're utilizing it in the same way the XB1 is. I think StrainedEyes knows more about it than i do. He was telling me about XB1's cloud stuff yesterday.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #46
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
No, MS has stated no alternative to BC. Sony specifically stated that they will use Gaikai to stream PS3 games. That alone makes it better
Not if i have to repurchase Uncharted it doesnt. If i can stream all those PS3 games for free, then f**k yea, if not, its useless.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #47
Nathan

Quote:
They've made vague promises of working on it, and aside from giving him some kind of a special Xbox One that doesn't require Always online (hah) I don't really see how they are going to resolve that issue.
I think they said they might give out codes, so you can turn the always online feature off and you don't have to authenticate your console every 24 hours. But I don't want to imagine the hassle you have to go through, to confirm you are in the service.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #48
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
I think they said they might give out codes, so you can turn the always online feature off and you don't have to authenticate your console every 24 hours. But I don't want to imagine the hassle you have to go through, to confirm you are in the service.
If thats the case and they CAN turn the always offline nonsense off, then that'll end up being their strategy moving forward after Sony outsells em by a 100k units the first 3 or 4 months in. I have a feeling we'll hear that and a price cut REALLY soon after launch, once they see just how poorly their console is received in comparison.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #49
SolarTiger
Side-Kick

So which companies are the most likely to push the DRM on the PS4? I'm sure EA doesn't give a crap (probably why they cancelled the online passes), but what about Ubisoft and Activision? Or smaller companies like Bethesda and 2K? CD Project?

Old 06-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #50
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
So which companies are the most likely to push the DRM on the PS4? I'm sure EA doesn't give a crap (probably why they cancelled the online passes), but what about Ubisoft and Activision? Or smaller companies like Bethesda and 2K? CD Project?
If anyone would do it, its gonna be Ubisoft and EA. They've proven over the last gen that they really dont like their games be traded in and sold as used. Maybe EA has wised up and thats why they have dropped the online pass, or maybe, like Nathan said, its because they have something much worse in the pipeline.