The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 03-27-2014, 04:12 AM   #401
Rike
Slim

Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread - Part 1

"The past: a new and uncertain world. A world of endless possibilities and infinite outcomes. Countless choices define our fate. Each choice, each moment - a ripple in the river of time. Enough ripples and you change the tide, for the future is never truly set."

Rike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:33 AM   #402
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerial View Post
This concept--Charles walking--is the only one in this movie I'm not fully on board with. My brain just keeps going back to all the reasons this just isn't physically possible; even if they fix his back, his legs are in no state to function (atrophy, severe muscle loss, osteoporosis and that's just in the first year after injury. Ten years...his legs would be half the mass they were when he was shot).
I understand. But let's just guess that Hank developed a serum that is so powerful that fixed everything at once - the muscle loss, atrophy. Because we accepted that Hank developed a serum that - although his intention was to supress mutation - created a furry blue beast. I guess that in the next ten years after the First Class events, Hank is a completely dedicated scientist, and his goal is to not make mistakes anymore. So he certainly had Charles' atrophyed legs in mind while creating whatever it was that would help him walk again. Remember Utopia, Nerial? Like that, but the results would appear much sooner. A few days at medical bay and Charles would be ready to stand up. Of course, since it's a film and they need time, they'll skip those days and throw Charles into the action as soon as he can stand on his legs again. I can accept this.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Loganbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:24 AM   #403
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
So it's more believable that Xavier just happened to have a twin brother that was also wheelchair-bound than someone regaining the use of his legs?

God, no. I freakin' hate that as well, but that is Singer's attempt to make the best out of a bad situation (aka, the atrocity that is X3). They had to have Patrick Stewart in that role for DOFP, and despite the stupidity of it, it does fall under his telepathic powers, at least. But yeah, I'm kind of hoping they'll just gloss over that, because I want to pretend X3 NEVER HAPPENED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
I understand. But let's just guess that Hank developed a serum that is so powerful that fixed everything at once - the muscle loss, atrophy. Because we accepted that Hank developed a serum that - although his intention was to supress mutation - created a furry blue beast. I guess that in the next ten years after the First Class events, Hank is a completely dedicated scientist, and his goal is to not make mistakes anymore. So he certainly had Charles' atrophyed legs in mind while creating whatever it was that would help him walk again. Remember Utopia, Nerial? Like that, but the results would appear much sooner. A few days at medical bay and Charles would be ready to stand up. Of course, since it's a film and they need time, they'll skip those days and throw Charles into the action as soon as he can stand on his legs again. I can accept this.
I can forgive fan fiction a lot more than a summer blockbuster. And I will note, that particular fan fiction had Charles in a wheelchair, slowly gaining his mobility/sensation back throughout the entire story and it talked about his atrophy and apraxia. So for a cure, the writer did her research.

I'm not saying I'm going to hate this movie because this went this route. I actually really excited about the whole thing, but it does concern me a bit. I hope Singer and Kinberg realize how important it is to get people to believe this is possible, specifically for this character. And I'm still not 100% convinced Kinberg is capable of such things.

While Charles Xavier is building his school, the Brotherhood has plans of its own—to build a mutant army. And soon, Magneto will discover there’s only one person who can build it for them…Charles.

Click Here to Read.
Nerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:05 AM   #404
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
I can forgive fan fiction a lot more than a summer blockbuster. And I will note, that particular fan fiction had Charles in a wheelchair, slowly gaining his mobility/sensation back throughout the entire story and it talked about his atrophy and apraxia. So for a cure, the writer did her research.
But we still don't know Charles' scenario for this specific situation. Maybe he's been taking the serum for quite a long time, and it has been a slow process, but Wolverine returns exactly when the thing is starting to work? If it's a speedy recovery - take the serum now, Charles, and you'll be able to walk in five minutes - it'll be annoying, I agree. Especially when you can give a plausible explanation in just a sentence - "I've been taking this serum for five years and it seems it's finally working."

But, eh...old Charles returned from the dead, which is a much more complicated explanation to give, let's face it. All in all, a magic serum that makes Charles walk in five minutes is not the best thing, and I hope they won't take that route, but in my personal opinion it won't ruin the film for me. I'm so excited for what James will bring to Charles! From the few scenes we've seen, it'll be amazing.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #405
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek

Quote:
But we still don't know Charles' scenario for this specific situation. Maybe he's been taking the serum for quite a long time, and it has been a slow process, but Wolverine returns exactly when the thing is starting to work? If it's a speedy recovery - take the serum now, Charles, and you'll be able to walk in five minutes - it'll be annoying, I agree. Especially when you can give a plausible explanation in just a sentence - "I've been taking this serum for five years and it seems it's finally working."

But, eh...old Charles returned from the dead, which is a much more complicated explanation to give, let's face it. All in all, a magic serum that makes Charles walk in five minutes is not the best thing, and I hope they won't take that route, but in my personal opinion it won't ruin the film for me. I'm so excited for what James will bring to Charles! From the few scenes we've seen, it'll be amazing.
It won't ruin the film for me, either. But I think the irritation for me is the same irritation you have for Magneto being center stage in FC. No matter how much I tried to show all the good scenes Charles had or that the next movie will probably focus more on him, I still couldn't convince you Charles didn't get the short end of the stick.

That's what's going on here--I just know too much about spinal cord injury not roll my eyes a little. But if it's a good movie, I can probably suspend believe long enough to enjoy the ride. I just hope they come up with a really good explanation.

While Charles Xavier is building his school, the Brotherhood has plans of its own—to build a mutant army. And soon, Magneto will discover there’s only one person who can build it for them…Charles.

Click Here to Read.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:49 PM   #406
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
It won't ruin the film for me, either. But I think the irritation for me is the same irritation you have for Magneto being center stage in FC. No matter how much I tried to show all the good scenes Charles had or that the next movie will probably focus more on him, I still couldn't convince you Charles didn't get the short end of the stick.
Hmm, no, I don't think it's the same thing. It's "an important aspect of the character which could probably end up not being handled well" vs. "the character whose story supposedely would have had the same impact and importance as the other main character but who ended up more as a supporting" situation. I'm not the only one who think First Class was a Magneto story, in which Charles had a very important role. My irritation at the time was that there was no guarantee at all that DoFP would focus on Charles. You must remember the tons of articles saying that the sequel would continue to focus on Magneto; even Vaughn at the time mentioned Magneto having a new nemesis while Charles was stuck in his chair. So the notion that DoFP is indeed more of a Charles' story is really recent.

So let's say that in the new film they handle that aspect of the character Charles Xavier really well, showing the devastating effects of paralysis in the body, his depression, the physical pain. But after doing this, the character is left aside, in a coma or something, like in other X-films. What would you prefer? In a perfect world, I would love to have both the realistic aspect of his condition and a great arc for Charles. But from what we've seen so far, the physical and mental tribulations won't be put entirely aside, and at the same time we'll get an interesting character development throughout the film - my guess, and I hope so. So I think it's a good bargain. What would have been awful was to see Charles in the new film all fine and dandy in his wheelchair, as if nothing major had happened in his life and he was already the serious, zen-like mentor Professor X. Now that would have been a terrible cop out.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #407
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Yeah. Thing is at the end of First Class, Erik was already Magneto. His story was more immediate and painful and closer to WWII. Charles still had a long way to go before becoming the Professor X of the OT. Charles was abandoned by his friends, family, the government and left in a wheelchair. It's definitely his turn to struggle in pain.

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #408
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek

Quote:
Hmm, no, I don't think it's the same thing. It's "an important aspect of the character which could probably end up not being handled well" vs. "the character whose story supposedely would have had the same impact and importance as the other main character but who ended up more as a supporting" situation. I'm not the only one who think First Class was a Magneto story, in which Charles had a very important role. My irritation at the time was that there was no guarantee at all that DoFP would focus on Charles. You must remember the tons of articles saying that the sequel would continue to focus on Magneto; even Vaughn at the time mentioned Magneto having a new nemesis while Charles was stuck in his chair. So the notion that DoFP is indeed more of a Charles' story is really recent.

So let's say that in the new film they handle that aspect of the character Charles Xavier really well, showing the devastating effects of paralysis in the body, his depression, the physical pain. But after doing this, the character is left aside, in a coma or something, like in other X-films. What would you prefer? In a perfect world, I would love to have both the realistic aspect of his condition and a great arc for Charles. But from what we've seen so far, the physical and mental tribulations won't be put entirely aside, and at the same time we'll get an interesting character development throughout the film - my guess, and I hope so. So I think it's a good bargain. What would have been awful was to see Charles in the new film all fine and dandy in his wheelchair, as if nothing major had happened in his life and he was already the serious, zen-like mentor Professor X. Now that would have been a terrible cop out.
Ah, but if you had listened to your friend, Nerial, you would have known of her supreme insightfulness and realized she was right when she said back in 2011--the sequel for First Class had to focus on Charles, as his story was left completely unresolved by the FC ending. Don't read all those pooh-pooh magazines--they don't know what they're talking about. Listen to Nerial--Nerial is wise.

Back to the argument about DOFP...maybe I should elaborate. My comparison is that we've never seen eye-to-eye about FC; I've never had a problem with it being Magneto-centric where you have. So we've had to agree to disagree on that topic on more than one occasion.

So for Charles' condition, we will probably have to agree to disagree on my irritation about how that's handled in DOFP--I'll have to see the movie and make a judgment at that point, but it is the thing I'm most concerned about for the movie. I get why they have him walk, to get him into the action. I'm just concerned how that part is treated, and hope that maybe (just maybe) Kinberg did one day of research to learn more about SCI and all its complications.

The rest of the film looks great to me.

Click Here to Read.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:31 AM   #409
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Listen to Nerial--Nerial is wise.
I will.

Quote:
Back to the argument about DOFP...maybe I should elaborate. My comparison is that we've never seen eye-to-eye about FC; I've never had a problem with it being Magneto-centric where you have. So we've had to agree to disagree on that topic on more than one occasion.
I understand the need to focus a bit more in one of the characters, and Magneto has always been a fan favorite, so why not. My biggest complain is that the origin of Charles' power is never really explained. One or two short scenes focusing on his childhood or his relationship with Raven would have been enough to give him a better characterization, instead of showing Magneto going Bond. I still like the film, but will always have a problem with it. And that's okay; things can't be changed anymore, and DoFP is sounding great enough for me, where Charles is concerned.

Quote:
I'm just concerned how that part is treated, and hope that maybe (just maybe) Kinberg did one day of research to learn more about SCI and all its complications.
It concerns me too, so we can agree about this. But maybe I can accept it more easily than you, I suppose, because it's not something so directly connect with my daily life or my job. I hope he'll do good.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #410
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek

Quote:
I understand the need to focus a bit more in one of the characters, and Magneto has always been a fan favorite, so why not. My biggest complain is that the origin of Charles' power is never really explained. One or two short scenes focusing on his childhood or his relationship with Raven would have been enough to give him a better characterization, instead of showing Magneto going Bond. I still like the film, but will always have a problem with it. And that's okay; things can't be changed anymore, and DoFP is sounding great enough for me, where Charles is concerned.
Oh, there's tons of stuff that irritated me with First Class, one of the biggest was the "I'm Matthew Vaughn and I really want to film a Bond movie. But because I've never gotten the chance, I'm just gonna turn X-men into one." I wouldn't mind if it were subtle, but Vaughn ain't subtle. And turning all the women into Bond girls was vomit-worthy.

For all the things I hated in FC, however, there are three times more things I loved. I didn't mind so much that Charles telepathy-origin wasn't shown, but that goes back to the different opinions thing.

Quote:
It concerns me too, so we can agree about this. But maybe I can accept it more easily than you, I suppose, because it's not something so directly connect with my daily life or my job. I hope he'll do good.
I promise I'll give it a chance. It just has me concerned because the concept is so hard to swallow. But Hank is a super-genius, so maybe it'll be all right.

Click Here to Read.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:57 PM   #411
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Oh, there's tons of stuff that irritated me with First Class, one of the biggest was the "I'm Matthew Vaughn and I really want to film a Bond movie. But because I've never gotten the chance, I'm just gonna turn X-men into one." I wouldn't mind if it were subtle, but Vaughn ain't subtle.
Well there's nothing remotely subtle about Bond films themselves either, if you're going to add those elements you might as well go full-on I personally loved the 60s Bond movie stylings, it really made FC feel different to every other superhero movie. I can see though why that wouldn't be to everyone's liking.

I have no problem with Charles walking again in DoFP. One of my big concerns about the movie was that, because of his disability, Charles would be pretty much excluded from the action and be forced to sit around while Hank and Logan actually get out and do stuff. So I don't mind a temporary solution that allows him to get involved, especially when it's something that also comes with a big price.

The brain-dead twin though is... bleh. It's not even so much the mechanics of it, like how on earth would anyone be able to move anything in a body that's been dormant for its entire life. It's that the whole "Xavier had a never-mentioned twin brother" who turns up for the plot convenience is like something out of a cheap day-time soap opera.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:21 AM   #412
Ophiuchus

Congrats to James McAvoy, he won Best Actor at the Jameson Empire Awards.

Hugh Jackman and Michael Fassbender were also among the DOFP crowd who won awards there. Full list of winnners. Good showing!

Ophiuchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:49 AM   #413
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Well there's nothing remotely subtle about Bond films themselves either, if you're going to add those elements you might as well go full-on I personally loved the 60s Bond movie stylings, it really made FC feel different to every other superhero movie. I can see though why that wouldn't be to everyone's liking.

I have no problem with Charles walking again in DoFP. One of my big concerns about the movie was that, because of his disability, Charles would be pretty much excluded from the action and be forced to sit around while Hank and Logan actually get out and do stuff. So I don't mind a temporary solution that allows him to get involved, especially when it's something that also comes with a big price.

The brain-dead twin though is... bleh. It's not even so much the mechanics of it, like how on earth would anyone be able to move anything in a body that's been dormant for its entire life. It's that the whole "Xavier had a never-mentioned twin brother" who turns up for the plot convenience is like something out of a cheap day-time soap opera.
I loved the 1960s style; I just hate Bond films. Especially the trampy Bond girls...blah. So to have an X-men film set up like a Bond film...definitely would have preferred that to be a lot more subtle. But you raise a good point--Bond movies really aren't known for being subtle.

As for Charles, I just hope they offer a really good explanation for his walking. The idea that it comes with a cost does make it sound a lot better. And, while I know it sounds sadistic, I do want him to spend at least some time in the chair and I do want them to address his issues, which it sounds like they do.

As for the twin thing...yeah. Not a fan, either. But I'll forgive it for this one simple reason--it's Singer trying to clean up the mess left by X3. We could either have this BS explanation why Patrick Stewart is back in that role, or have no Patrick Stewart. I think Singer went with the lesser of two evils.

Click Here to Read.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:37 PM   #414
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrishAvenger View Post
Video of McAvoy and Jackman talking about the new train and the movie.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
This was posted in the General Discussions but since it's very McAvoy-centric, I thought I'd add it here.

These two crack me up. I so, so want to see Fassy, McAvoy and Jackman together for interviews--it would be too funny.

Click Here to Read.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:58 PM   #415
Darkness Falls
The Right Amount Of Dirty

really like the emotion james puts into his delivery of "I don't want your FUTURE"

Better Call Saul
Darkness Falls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:04 AM   #416
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness Falls View Post
really like the emotion james puts into his delivery of "I don't want your FUTURE"
That was a really good line--I liked it better in the second trailer. The first trailer felt like it was put together far too quickly--felt mismatched a bit.

Click Here to Read.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:36 AM   #417
Farren
Side Kicker

It's interesting how in the newest trailer Xavier calls Erik a "monster." I don't remember him calling Erik anything close to that in the OT. And then the first thing he does when he sees him is to punch him in the face. Charles must be really REALLY angry at him.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:42 AM   #418
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Simon Kinberg is a genius screenwriter, we'll see if those will turn out to be good.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:28 AM   #419
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Hmm... so judging by the trailer Charles is already walking when Logan first comes to the mansion. I've always assumed until now that being in a wheelchair was a big part of Charles' depression but it doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Could it be the case of, the cure is worse than the disease sort of thing?

And yeah Charles is really angry with Erik.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:24 AM   #420
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

Well we see him in the wheel chair when he goes to cerebro

Old 04-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #421
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

But it's not clear at what point in the movie he goes to Cerebro. It could be much later, when he decides to accept the wheelchair. There was also a clip of Charles blowing the dust off the helmet, which means that he hasn't used Cerebro for a while.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:38 AM   #422
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

edit

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 04-16-2014 at 07:47 AM.
GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:45 AM   #423
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farren View Post
It's interesting how in the newest trailer Xavier calls Erik a "monster." I don't remember him calling Erik anything close to that in the OT. And then the first thing he does when he sees him is to punch him in the face. Charles must be really REALLY angry at him.
Perhaps the dialogue has been spliced for the trailer and Charles is actually referring to Trask or even Stryker? But, given the punch to the face, maybe he really is just that mad at Erik.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #424
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
Hmm... so judging by the trailer Charles is already walking when Logan first comes to the mansion. I've always assumed until now that being in a wheelchair was a big part of Charles' depression but it doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Could it be the case of, the cure is worse than the disease sort of thing?
Okay, so here's my theory--it's more speculation than spoiler, but I'll use spoiler tags anyway because it does talk about this "cure" a little:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
We already know that Hank created something to "cure" Charles' injury--that's been said many times. Since Charles eventually has to make a choice about being the chair or not, the cure has to block his telepathy somehow.

My guess is, Hank created a device or serum that redirects Charles' telepathy (aka, brain signals)--instead of them going outward, they go inward, channeling the signals down his back to bridge the gap left by the bullet wound. But this also leaves him without his telepathy because of the redirection.

Therefore, Charles can either choose to be able-bodied without his telepathy or be disabled with telepathy.

Just my take as of right now.

Click Here to Read.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #425
The Guard
Side-Kick

I'm wondering if they will have him recognize Logan as the fellow who told them to go F themselves in FIRST CLASS.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote