Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 11-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #176
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan83 View Post
why couldn't he do both...
what? you can't be a real person with real struggles, if you wear a bright costume
Well for one, it's hard to take the world as seriously as Singer intended it when the characters are running around in masks and yellow spandex.

But as Nerial pointed out, Singer did both. His focus was just on the realism and personal struggle. Exactly where it should have been.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #177
georgec
Not a hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Bamfer View Post
I'm gung ho for Singer. He made two of the three best X-Men films (X2, while flawed at points, was nearly phenomenal) and had a major hand in FC, which is also in my top 3. He knows and cares about what we want and is a smart fella who makes smart movies (even if a few have ended up fairly dry.)
Agree with this. So far the best thing for the X-films has been Singer. He's going to do just fine with DoFP.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #178
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Do we have any theories as to why Xavier is walking around? And I'm rewatching First Class...anyone find it odd Mystique didn't go to Xavier sooner after he was shot? Moira was there all "omg omg Charles omg" and Raven is standing with this straight face. I guess she really didn't like him at all... and they just leave him on this isolated island to die. They're not doctors, they have no idea how bad his gunshot wound is.

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #179
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
Do we have any theories as to why Xavier is walking around? And I'm rewatching First Class...anyone find it odd Mystique didn't go to Xavier sooner after he was shot? Moira was there all "omg omg Charles omg" and Raven is standing with this straight face. I guess she really didn't like him at all... and they just leave him on this isolated island to die. They're not doctors, they have no idea how bad his gunshot wound is.
I don't have theories as to why Charles is walking in the promotional images, but about your other question - yes, I find it extremely odd what happened between Charles and Raven in the end of First Class. Actually I hate it and I've been quite vocal about the issue. First, no matter what kind of differences they had at the time, Charles and Raven had been supporting and caring for each other as friends and family for two decades, and one simply doesn't leave a brother or a friend who had been shot and was probably gravely hurt like discarded trash because you have to deal with your own personal issues. Second, the fact that Raven didn't run to him, but kept looking to Magneto instead, and when she got to Charles she was much more worried about him not reading her mind than his condition...it was, ugh. Awful awful writing. And it was all about making Charles look like the "bad guy" at the moment, the one Raven would gladly abandon and make the audience happy about it (ohhhh the mean telepath tormenting poor Raven and trying to read her pristine mind), even if he was the one who was lying there gravely hurt due to Magneto's reckless actions. I guess it worked for some of the audience but not for me, and I'm glad they will address the issue in DoFP.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart

Last edited by Loganbabe; 11-04-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Loganbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #180
Fervid09
Side-Kick

Quote:
I've read some theories that the standing, walking Charles we saw in promo pics and behind the scenes stuff is an astral projection/body illusion, and that the real Charles is still crippled somewhere. Much like Emma Frost giving off that body illusion in XM:FC while she was seducing the Russian general.

Seeing that Magneto wasn't wearing his helmet in all the scenes we saw with the walking Charles, it's possible that he still doesn't know that Charles is crippled, and only when he does wear the helmet that he realizes.

Fervid09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:51 AM   #181
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well the island obviously wasn't that isolated since they did all manage to leave (though I've no idea how; it's weird how Moira is talking about getting Charles to the hospital like getting of the island is not a big deal). And if I remember right Raven tries to run towards Charles together with the rest of X-kids right after he gets shot, but Magneto throws them off their feet and yells for them to stay back. I think they were just all wary of him - the rest of the kids didn't approach Charles until Magneto was well off the island. As for Raven leaving, I found it selfish but not implausible. I kinda think that her relationship with Charles was uneven in that it was more about him taking care of her, rather than them taking care of each other. Even when Charles' down and shot, it's still about him looking out for her and telling her that she should do what she really desires to do.

Charles standing in the DoFP pics could be a projection, but I can't decide whether he's in a wheelchair or not in that pic of him playing chess with Erik. The way his upper body is positioned looks like he's not paralysed, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 11-05-2013 at 04:13 AM.
Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:35 AM   #182
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
And if I remember right Raven tries to run towards Charles together with the rest of X-kids right after he gets shot, but Magneto throws them off their feet and yells for them to stay back.
Magneto throws the two guys, but not Raven. Maybe he already knew he would ask her to join his cause, and didn't want to hurt or anger her so that she would think twice about leaving.

I think there should have been a little more determination on Raven's part to go to Charles when he was shot, and to argue with him that she was staying until he tells her she wouldn't be happy, that he knew she wanted to go, etc. The problem with how the scene was built is that she left him so easily, like "oh okay, if you say so...bye!". But it all had to do with Vaughn's vision for First Class - Raven and Magneto were right, Charles was wrong. And as much as I enjoyed FC as a whole, I'm glad Vaughn is not directing a sequel. He would just continue Magneto's saga and leave "crippled and useless professor" with basically nothing to do. It's nice knowing that DoFP will present Charles' side of the story too. And that without a Professor X to hope and under Magneto's domain, the world wouldn't exactly be a nice place to be "mutant and proud". The idea of a balance between them is what is interesting.

Quote:
Even when Charles' down and shot, it's still about him looking out for her and telling her that she should do what she really desires to do.
Well, this is an interesting theory. Maybe Charles always cared for her much more than she cared for him. That for Raven the whole idea of existing in the world is one of a survivor, taking advantage of a situation and joining what she perceived to be the strongest side, the one that would allow her to live. If disguising herself as a sweet blonde girl served a purpose for a few years, okay, but another opportunity presented itself and Charles was suddenly useless to her. The instinct of the merciless killer was always inside Raven, just dorment, waiting for Mystique.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #183
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

thought this quote would be important for this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Bamfer View Post
JP's told me about some further information from one of the magazine articles that's rather spoilery and that we didn't see discussed here yet:

That official image of J-Lawr we got dressed in a sun hat and flower child clothing was from her last day of shooting. She was filming a scene at an airport where random people started to talk to Raven, asking her not to do it as she walks toward boarding a plane - what "it" is isn't specified, but I imagine it has to do with the assassination Wolverine is trying to prevent. She ignores them and continues walking until she finally runs into Charles who asks her not to leave him again and not to do it. It's explained that this appearance of a walking Charles is an astral projection and that he was first telepathically speaking through the civilians at the airport. This probably explains why we see him sans wheelchair in other scenes and plays well into him being a depressed recluse - only "getting out" of the mansion telepathically. It's also said that Xavier initially doesn't believe Wolverine's claims at "time travel" and the dystopian future, but becomes involved especially after learning much of it is due to Raven's actions. Singer describes his motive as a "battle for Raven's soul" - I believe that was the quote.

I'm not sure which magazine that is, but I am sure JP can enlighten us!

Old 11-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #184
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Really interesting. I think we'll get a powerful acting moment from the two actors. Can't wait!

Old 11-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #185
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

I gather he leaves his chair to

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

to be in the astral plane

i'm guessing

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 11-06-2013 at 09:20 AM.
GuestStar2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #186
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

What's this picture of Xavier walking around? I haven't seen it.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #187
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Here: http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,2064....html#30041955

Old 11-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #188
Farren
Side Kicker

I'm Team Astral Projection on this one.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:39 PM   #189
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

its probably astral projection that puts him in the future setting when he talks to older xavier, makes you wonder if there are bigger plans for this astral projection, its quite powerful method from the looks of it

Old 11-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #190
Farren
Side Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post
its probably astral projection that puts him in the future setting when he talks to older xavier, makes you wonder if there are bigger plans for this astral projection, its quite powerful method from the looks of it
Yeah I'd say that's a pretty good guess.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #191
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
I gather he leaves his chair to

to be in the astral plane

i'm guessing
I thought the astral plane was just his mind. Wouldn't his body still be on earth with a mental projection of himself in the astral plane or am I understanding the astral plane completely wrong.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
NanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #192
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
I thought the astral plane was just his mind. Wouldn't his body still be on earth with a mental projection of himself in the astral plane or am I understanding the astral plane completely wrong.
No your not wrong although a mental projection of himself that can comunicate
with others also happened In comics.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #193
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
No your not wrong although a mental projection of himself that can comunicate
with others also happened In comics.
I really like the idea of the astral projection, and it's even shown in "First Class" where Emma Frost making a mental projection of herself in bed with the Russian commander.

While Charles Xavier is building his school, the Brotherhood has plans of its own—to build a mutant army. And soon, Magneto will discover there’s only one person who can build it for them…Charles.

Click Here to Read.
Nerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #194
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Astral projection could also mean that, while Charles can be in the scene, his powers might be limited and he can't just freeze everyone left and right. Which is partly why he had to be taken out of the picture in the earlier movies, so that say the raid on the mansion in X2 could happen.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #195
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

James has been nominated for Best Actor in the 2013 British Independent Film Awards - BIFA, for Filth - which also grabbed four other noms, including best director.

Really happy for him, and I hope he wins!

BIFA 2013

Old 11-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #196
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
The shot of Stewart's Xavier looking at himself in the mirror also might have something to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
James has been nominated for Best Actor in the 2013 British Independent Film Awards - BIFA, for Filth - which also grabbed four other noms, including best director.

Really happy for him, and I hope he wins!

BIFA 2013
Cool. I really liked Trance.

Is BIFA a precursor for BAFTA?

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #197
Eros
Side-Kick

is this the last time James is playing professor X?

Old 11-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #198
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

I think it's been said that the FC cast has been contracted for one more movie. The question is whether the studio will go forward with that.

EnDz0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #199
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

If rumored ending happens It's almost assured there will be another film with FC cast assuming DOFP Is hugh success

Old 11-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #200
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
Cool. I really liked Trance.

Is BIFA a precursor for BAFTA?
In a way it is, although the BAFTAS have been much more "Hollywood" lately. But I hope it's a good indication of a future BAFTA best actor nom for James, and maybe Filth for Best British Film.