The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 04-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
Hemi'Cuda
Newbie First Class

Wall Political tone of CATWS

My previous post about 'Hail HYDRA' wasn't meant to be spam. I wanted to genuinely comment on the political undertones of the movie. It has an obvious Libertarian/limited government tone that warns of government getting too big and overbearing.
The Russo's even spoke publically that part of the tone was in regards to the president's drone kill list:
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywo...bama-kill-list

Hemi'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #2
Ant-manic
Side-Kick

Default Re: Political tone of CATWS

the movie seemed pro-property damage.

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:51 PM   #3
Just_Human
Side-Kick

So are the governments hiding super powered people from us ?

That would be cool

Or scary

Just_Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi'Cuda View Post
My previous post about 'Hail HYDRA' wasn't meant to be spam. I wanted to genuinely comment on the political undertones of the movie. It has an obvious Libertarian/limited government tone that warns of government getting too big and overbearing.
The Russo's even spoke publically that part of the tone was in regards to the president's drone kill list:
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywo...bama-kill-list
I don't feel like the film's social commentary was inherently Libertarian/pro-limited government. A lot of leftists oppose NSA surveillance and pre-emptive drone strikes pretty vehemently. Like me, for example. I'm about as left leaning, anti-libertarian, and pro-big government as a person can get without being a straight up communist, and I think that **** is bananas. It's not necessarily about the government getting too big, it's more about the government doing inherently unethical things regardless of it's size.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
I don't feel like the film's social commentary was inherently Libertarian/pro-limited government. A lot of leftists oppose NSA surveillance and pre-emptive drone strikes pretty vehemently. Like me, for example. I'm about as left leaning, anti-libertarian, and pro-big government as a person can get without being a straight up communist, and I think that **** is bananas. It's not necessarily about the government getting too big, it's more about the government doing inherently unethical things regardless of it's size.
I think a lot of libertarians and leftists are united in their dislike of the current surveillance state.

The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
I think a lot of libertarians and leftists are united in their dislike of the current surveillance state.
Yes, because it's an unambiguously terrible thing regardless of what you believe the role of government is.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #7
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman

I feel as though many people feel a certain way about the tone or "agenda" of a piece of fiction according to their own political stance and/or bias. Well, that's unless said piece of fiction hits you over the head with whatever point it's trying to make.

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #8
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

I'm a Libertarian, maybe even left leaning Libertarian and I've read the movie does have a liberal/libertarian message. Cap America is for freedom after all. Well, I've seen the movie and it's safe to say Cap America doesn't liek big govt.

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #9
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthemadness View Post
I'm a Libertarian, maybe even left leaning Libertarian and I've read the movie does have a liberal/libertarian message. Cap America is for freedom after all. Well, I've seen the movie and it's safe to say Cap America doesn't liek big govt.
But the film only deals with the concept of "big government" in a very narrow context. Captain America's and the film's feelings on warrantless surveillance and pre-emptive targeted assassinations doesn't say anything about his or the film's opinions on welfare, socialized medicine, gun control, increases or decreases of taxes, or federal regulations. Opposing the power creep of the military and the intelligence community isn't a a left wing thing or a right wing thing, it's an "I don't want to get arrested or shot for ******** reasons without any kind of legal framework to defend myself" thing. That's fairly universal.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthemadness View Post
Too be fair, I think there are certain values that appeal to people across the political spectrum. I think most people besides hard core neo cons or mindless partisan hacks who support something just because Bush or Obama proposed it, would agree with the message of this film. Most people can agree on certain things, no one is openly pro serial killer for example.

I wouldn't expect Cap to take an opinion on the welfare state in these films, not only is that very decisive, it really doesn't make for an exciting story.

Last edited by The Overlord; 04-09-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

I really didn't get an excessively libertarian vibe with The Winter Soldier. Overall, Captain America has always been treated more as a New Deal Democrat. New Deal Democrats like Captain America have always cherished the concept of freedom, especially considering the totalitarian opponents they had to fight (Nazi Germany and Stalinist Russia).

Just because freedom was a central tenant of the New Deal Democrats, doesn't mean that they were libertarian advocates of small government. Even though they feared authoritarianism, they still advocated government intervention to try and improve the lives of the downtrodden.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:44 PM   #12
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
I really didn't get an excessively libertarian vibe with The Winter Soldier. Overall, Captain America has always been treated more as a New Deal Democrat. New Deal Democrats like Captain America have always cherished the concept of freedom, especially considering the totalitarian opponents they had to fight (Nazi Germany and Stalinist Russia).

Just because freedom was a central tenant of the New Deal Democrats, doesn't mean that they were libertarian advocates of small government. Even though they feared authoritarianism, they still advocated government intervention to try and improve the lives of the downtrodden.
I think the politics of that movie were ambiguous enough that both a liberal and libertarian would agree with its message.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #13
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
I think the politics of that movie were ambiguous enough that both a liberal and libertarian would agree with its message.
Pretty much. When it comes to the concept of freedom and civil liberties hardcore libertarians and New Deal Democrats are pretty well aligned.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:30 PM   #14
Ant-manic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
But the film only deals with the concept of "big government" in a very narrow context. Captain America's and the film's feelings on warrantless surveillance and pre-emptive targeted assassinations doesn't say anything about his or the film's opinions on welfare, socialized medicine, gun control, increases or decreases of taxes, or federal regulations. Opposing the power creep of the military and the intelligence community isn't a a left wing thing or a right wing thing, it's an "I don't want to get arrested or shot for ******** reasons without any kind of legal framework to defend myself" thing. That's fairly universal.
until you mention mexican illegals or people with arabic sounding names.

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:49 PM   #15
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Old 04-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #16
Dr. Evil
Bishop

While I did notice the political tone of the movie, I didn't pay attention to it. All I saw was that it was a fun movie.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote