The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 09-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #1
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Default Direct democracy

What do people think about direct democracy? You know, no legislatures, no legislative representatives, every law is written and voted on by the total population. We have the technology now where it would be possible to do this in a timely manner. The question is, is it a smart form of government? And if it is, at what level? Municipal? State? Federal?

What do you guys think? Should we, at any level of government, replace legislatures with direct votes from the citizens? What do you think the possible complications are? And what do you think the solutions might be?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
JJJ's Ulcer
Old, cigar chompin' grump

Default Re: Direct democracy

So populism? Basically, mob rule? No thanks. I don't have that much faith in the intellect and common sense of my fellow man. The South would pretty much be the Confederacy again. And would court cases still change laws? Forget gay marriage in any, but the most progressive of blue states. Blacks and whites would probably still be segregated today without federal intervention.

No, forget that noise. Definitely against populism.

JJJ's Ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

In small townships this can work and does in some in the New England region, in countries with the population of the US....just not realistic or feasible.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster

I'm with JJJ on this one. The general population isn't the smartest or the most informed and they're usually motivated by emotion and not fact or science. Also, the undecided or apathetic voters would be the most easily swayed. A friend of mine doesn't care about politics or global events and I could convince her that ISIS is a human rights group that is trying to better the world. People like that should not be allowed to create and vote on laws.

“I’m bored” is a useless thing to say. I mean, you live in a great, big, vast world that you’ve seen none percent of. Even the inside of your own mind is endless, it goes on forever, inwardly, do you understand? The fact that you’re alive is amazing, so you don’t get to say “I’m bored.” - Louis C.K.

Last edited by CosmicPinchy; 09-13-2014 at 09:44 PM.
CosmicPinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
summerteeth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
What do people think about direct democracy? You know, no legislatures, no legislative representatives, every law is written and voted on by the total population. We have the technology now where it would be possible to do this in a timely manner. The question is, is it a smart form of government? And if it is, at what level? Municipal? State? Federal?

What do you guys think? Should we, at any level of government, replace legislatures with direct votes from the citizens? What do you think the possible complications are? And what do you think the solutions might be?
At the state level a lot of have that with propositions you can vote on at the ballot. That was something started by populist Governors, I believe Wisconsin was the first to do it. The negative aspect like JJJ mentioned is mob rule. That's how Prop 8 got passed in California, for instance. I think A Republic better protects the minority opinion.

summerteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:38 AM   #6
sania250

Democracy is the best system for any country.

sania250 is offline   Reply With Quote