The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 09:07 PM   #1
Hemi'Cuda
Newbie First Class
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 22
Wall Political tone of CATWS

My previous post about 'Hail HYDRA' wasn't meant to be spam. I wanted to genuinely comment on the political undertones of the movie. It has an obvious Libertarian/limited government tone that warns of government getting too big and overbearing.
The Russo's even spoke publically that part of the tone was in regards to the president's drone kill list:
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywo...bama-kill-list

Hemi'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #2
Ant-manic
Side-Kick
 
Ant-manic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,439
Default Re: Political tone of CATWS

the movie seemed pro-property damage.

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:51 PM   #3
Just_Human
Side-Kick
 
Just_Human's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,850
Default Re: Political tone of CATWS

So are the governments hiding super powered people from us ?

That would be cool

Or scary

Just_Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #4
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.
 
The Question's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hub City
Posts: 38,445
Default Re: Political tone of CATWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi'Cuda View Post
My previous post about 'Hail HYDRA' wasn't meant to be spam. I wanted to genuinely comment on the political undertones of the movie. It has an obvious Libertarian/limited government tone that warns of government getting too big and overbearing.
The Russo's even spoke publically that part of the tone was in regards to the president's drone kill list:
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywo...bama-kill-list
I don't feel like the film's social commentary was inherently Libertarian/pro-limited government. A lot of leftists oppose NSA surveillance and pre-emptive drone strikes pretty vehemently. Like me, for example. I'm about as left leaning, anti-libertarian, and pro-big government as a person can get without being a straight up communist, and I think that **** is bananas. It's not necessarily about the government getting too big, it's more about the government doing inherently unethical things regardless of it's size.

__________________
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
The Overlord
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 7,227
Default Re: Political tone of CATWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
I don't feel like the film's social commentary was inherently Libertarian/pro-limited government. A lot of leftists oppose NSA surveillance and pre-emptive drone strikes pretty vehemently. Like me, for example. I'm about as left leaning, anti-libertarian, and pro-big government as a person can get without being a straight up communist, and I think that **** is bananas. It's not necessarily about the government getting too big, it's more about the government doing inherently unethical things regardless of it's size.
I think a lot of libertarians and leftists are united in their dislike of the current surveillance state.

The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #6
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.
 
The Question's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hub City
Posts: 38,445
Default Re: Political tone of CATWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
I think a lot of libertarians and leftists are united in their dislike of the current surveillance state.
Yes, because it's an unambiguously terrible thing regardless of what you believe the role of government is.

__________________
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #7
Warhammer
Half Monk, Half Hitman
 
Warhammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: B.P.R.D.
Posts: 23,940
Default Re: Political tone of CATWS

I feel as though many people feel a certain way about the tone or "agenda" of a piece of fiction according to their own political stance and/or bias. Well, that's unless said piece of fiction hits you over the head with whatever point it's trying to make.

__________________

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #8
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mortalville!
Posts: 27,048
Default Re: Political tone of CATWS

I'm a Libertarian, maybe even left leaning Libertarian and I've read the movie does have a liberal/libertarian message. Cap America is for freedom after all. Well, I've seen the movie and it's safe to say Cap America doesn't liek big govt.

__________________

enterthemadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #9
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.
 
The Question's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hub City
Posts: 38,445
Default Re: Political tone of CATWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthemadness View Post
I'm a Libertarian, maybe even left leaning Libertarian and I've read the movie does have a liberal/libertarian message. Cap America is for freedom after all. Well, I've seen the movie and it's safe to say Cap America doesn't liek big govt.
But the film only deals with the concept of "big government" in a very narrow context. Captain America's and the film's feelings on warrantless surveillance and pre-emptive targeted assassinations doesn't say anything about his or the film's opinions on welfare, socialized medicine, gun control, increases or decreases of taxes, or federal regulations. Opposing the power creep of the military and the intelligence community isn't a a left wing thing or a right wing thing, it's an "I don't want to get arrested or shot for ******** reasons without any kind of legal framework to defend myself" thing. That's fairly universal.

__________________
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The Question is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
The Overlord
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 7,227
Default Re: Political tone of CATWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthemadness View Post
I'm a Libertarian, maybe even left leaning Libertarian and I've read the movie does have a liberal/libertarian message. Cap America is for freedom after all. Well, I've seen the movie and it's safe to say Cap America doesn't liek big govt.
Too be fair, I think there are certain values that appeal to people across the political spectrum. I think most people besides hard core neo cons or mindless partisan hacks who support something just because Bush or Obama proposed it, would agree with the message of this film. Most people can agree on certain things, no one is openly pro serial killer for example.

I wouldn't expect Cap to take an opinion on the welfare state in these films, not only is that very decisive, it really doesn't make for an exciting story.


Last edited by The Overlord; 04-09-2014 at 07:31 PM.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,079
Default Re: Political tone of CATWS

I really didn't get an excessively libertarian vibe with The Winter Soldier. Overall, Captain America has always been treated more as a New Deal Democrat. New Deal Democrats like Captain America have always cherished the concept of freedom, especially considering the totalitarian opponents they had to fight (Nazi Germany and Stalinist Russia).

Just because freedom was a central tenant of the New Deal Democrats, doesn't mean that they were libertarian advocates of small government. Even though they feared authoritarianism, they still advocated government intervention to try and improve the lives of the downtrodden.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:44 PM   #12
The Overlord
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 7,227
Default Re: Political tone of CATWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
I really didn't get an excessively libertarian vibe with The Winter Soldier. Overall, Captain America has always been treated more as a New Deal Democrat. New Deal Democrats like Captain America have always cherished the concept of freedom, especially considering the totalitarian opponents they had to fight (Nazi Germany and Stalinist Russia).

Just because freedom was a central tenant of the New Deal Democrats, doesn't mean that they were libertarian advocates of small government. Even though they feared authoritarianism, they still advocated government intervention to try and improve the lives of the downtrodden.
I think the politics of that movie were ambiguous enough that both a liberal and libertarian would agree with its message.

The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #13
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,079
Default Re: Political tone of CATWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
I think the politics of that movie were ambiguous enough that both a liberal and libertarian would agree with its message.
Pretty much. When it comes to the concept of freedom and civil liberties hardcore libertarians and New Deal Democrats are pretty well aligned.

__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:30 PM   #14
Ant-manic
Side-Kick
 
Ant-manic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,439
Default Re: Political tone of CATWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
But the film only deals with the concept of "big government" in a very narrow context. Captain America's and the film's feelings on warrantless surveillance and pre-emptive targeted assassinations doesn't say anything about his or the film's opinions on welfare, socialized medicine, gun control, increases or decreases of taxes, or federal regulations. Opposing the power creep of the military and the intelligence community isn't a a left wing thing or a right wing thing, it's an "I don't want to get arrested or shot for ******** reasons without any kind of legal framework to defend myself" thing. That's fairly universal.
until you mention mexican illegals or people with arabic sounding names.

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:49 PM   #15
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator
 
hippie_hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Titanium Groceries
Posts: 51,079
Default Re: Political tone of CATWS


__________________
Titanium Groceries!!!
hippie_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #16
Dr. Evil
Bishop
 
Dr. Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 35,583
Default Re: Political tone of CATWS

While I did notice the political tone of the movie, I didn't pay attention to it. All I saw was that it was a fun movie.

__________________
Hulkamania is back, brother!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.