The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #326
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,977
Default Re: Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

NSA leaders divided on whether they should give Snowden amnesty.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nsa-lead...ty-to-snowden/

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #327
rstarr14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3
Default Re: Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

yes

rstarr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #328
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13,609
Default Re: Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

Amnesty seriously? Oh NSA... Man, Snowden's lucky he didn't steal files from the CIA, or some real intelligence agency.

Yeah NSA, you heard me.

I think Snowden has burned one too many bridges to come back. What with running into the arms of America's old archenemy.

Thundercrack85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #329
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,316
Default Re: Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

Outsiders advisers are urging Obama to curb the NSA

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/19/us...tics.html?_r=0


So, one of the author's of the Patriot Act says the NSA has gone too far.
A federal judge has now ruled the NSA has gone too far.
And Obama advisors have said the NSA has gone too far.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #330
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13,609
Default Re: Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

I wonder if Obama knows the difference between the NSA and his National Security Advisor.

Thundercrack85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #331
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,316
Default Re: Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

...that would explain a lot

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #332
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!
 
mikey1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,574
Default Re: Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
I wonder if Obama knows the difference between the NSA and his National Security Advisor.
this literally made me do a LOL spittake!

__________________
"I'm a Professional Crime Fighter!"
mikey1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #333
Cosmic
Theosophist
 
Cosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Tower of Fate
Posts: 3,348
Default Re: Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
I wonder if Obama knows the difference between the NSA and his National Security Advisor.
Sources say the President was informed of the distinction between the two in his meeting with the Intelligence Review Board earlier this week.

__________________
Not only can Krypto now talk like a human, but his powers are far superior to mine! I can no longer be his master! -Superboy, Adventure Comics #239
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #334
Cosmic
Theosophist
 
Cosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Tower of Fate
Posts: 3,348
Default Re: Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

On a more serious note, I admit that I was wrong to call Snowden a coward. Right or wrong, if he hadn't leaked the info on PRISM and various other shenanigans, then most people either wouldn't know, care, or believe that it was happening. Also, this review of national intelligence operations wouldn't even be happening right now.

__________________
Not only can Krypto now talk like a human, but his powers are far superior to mine! I can no longer be his master! -Superboy, Adventure Comics #239
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:47 PM   #335
Cosmic
Theosophist
 
Cosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Tower of Fate
Posts: 3,348
Post Re: Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

New York Times: Snowden 'justified,' deserves lighter punishment

Quote:
Reuters
11:40 a.m. CST, January 2, 2014


WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. government should grant former NSA contractor Edward Snowden clemency or a plea bargain given the public value of revelations over the National Security Agency's vast spying programs, the New York Times editorial board said on Thursday.

In its lead editorial, the newspaper said Americans now more fully understand how widely their phone calls, emails and other information are tracked. Information provided to journalists by Snowden has also prompted needed legal review of the intelligence gathering and led a presidential panel to call for a major overhaul of the agency, it said.

"Considering the enormous value of the information he has revealed, and the abuses he has exposed, Mr. Snowden deserves better than a life of permanent exile, fear and flight. He may have committed a crime to do so, but he has done his country a great service," the New York Times' editorial board wrote.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...,4336990.story

__________________
Not only can Krypto now talk like a human, but his powers are far superior to mine! I can no longer be his master! -Superboy, Adventure Comics #239
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #336
Destructus86
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,628
Default Re: Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

I don't think anyone, besides those in extreme denial can ignore the fact that in recent years we have seen more and more freedoms removed or stepped on. And I believe this will continue to be a trend. Obama is not entirely to blame...our bloated government is out of control and does what it seems fit. Obama has played a big part of it though. This country is significantly different than it was 10 years ago.

What will it be like 10 years form now? Implants? Full government surviellance? (almost there) Corporate controlled internet access? (oops...too late on that one) Full gun ban. (I'm not a fan of guns, but the right to own a gun is important) The disolving of freedom of religion. Government police forces. (already happening in some parts of the country quietly)

What we once considered the stuff of conspiracy nuts we are seeing slowly develop in real life.

__________________
Ephesians 4:2
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.
Destructus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #337
CosmicPinchy
Rock Lobster
 
CosmicPinchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: German by birth
Posts: 2,800
Default Re: Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
I don't think anyone, besides those in extreme denial can ignore the fact that in recent years we have seen more and more freedoms removed or stepped on. And I believe this will continue to be a trend. Obama is not entirely to blame...our bloated government is out of control and does what it seems fit. Obama has played a big part of it though. This country is significantly different than it was 10 years ago.

What will it be like 10 years form now? Implants? Full government surviellance? (almost there) Corporate controlled internet access? (oops...too late on that one) Full gun ban. (I'm not a fan of guns, but the right to own a gun is important) The disolving of freedom of religion. Government police forces. (already happening in some parts of the country quietly)

What we once considered the stuff of conspiracy nuts we are seeing slowly develop in real life.
I don't think so. I just think with the technology we have today, that it's much more obvious what the government does. Leak files on the internet, hidden cameras, cell phones, etc. So much is no longer a secret. I don't think that the country has changed, I just think everyone is now aware of it's secrets.

As for your other points, I highly doubt the US will ban guns. They didn't do anything after the Newton shootings. The NRA has too much power. The guns will still be there in 10 years.

The freedom of religion thing is exaggerated. What is happening is that extremists on all sides are going at it and some are hiding under the guise of "persecution." It's total crap. Your religion is safe.

Government police forces goes back to the point I made about cell phones and cameras. Everything is caught on camera now. Just because we didn't see it before doesn't mean it wasn't always there, we just have instant access to the worst of it.

__________________
“I’m bored” is a useless thing to say. I mean, you live in a great, big, vast world that you’ve seen none percent of. Even the inside of your own mind is endless, it goes on forever, inwardly, do you understand? The fact that you’re alive is amazing, so you don’t get to say “I’m bored.” - Louis C.K.
CosmicPinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #338
The End
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 725
Default Re: Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

You know what really baffles me?


How stupid people are. It baffles me how little foresight people in general have.

Did people seriously not see this sort of thing coming when the Patriot Act came in?

The End is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:11 PM   #339
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13,609
Default Re: Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

Well, to invoke V for Vendetta, who's to blame?

Sure, there are the opportunistic reactionaries in the congress. But who put them there? Who allowed it to happen? There wasn't a coup.

These people were voted in.

Thundercrack85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #340
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,316
Default Re: Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

People were driven by fear over logic. Still are, unfortunately

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:25 PM   #341
mikey1974
Hit Paydirt With KDRT!
 
mikey1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,574
Default Re: Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The End View Post
You know what really baffles me?


How stupid people are. It baffles me how little foresight people in general have.

Did people seriously not see this sort of thing coming when the Patriot Act came in?
cause they were very calculating when it came to the Patriot Act - if you opposed it,you sided with the terrorists was the general mantra in the post-9/11 early 21st Century. and,of course,no politicians at the time wanted anyone from the Bush administration throwing that accusation their way.

__________________
"I'm a Professional Crime Fighter!"
mikey1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #342
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,977
Default Re: Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Well, to invoke V for Vendetta, who's to blame?

Sure, there are the opportunistic reactionaries in the congress. But who put them there? Who allowed it to happen? There wasn't a coup.

These people were voted in.
Who can we vote for who isn't already fully indoctrinated and sponsor approved?

Any one can show up at try outs but only those who "play ball" have any chance at making the team.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #343
conan69
Cimmerian
 
conan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,025
Default Re: Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

Quote:
I don't think anyone, besides those in extreme denial can ignore the fact that in recent years we have seen more and more freedoms removed or stepped on. And I believe this will continue to be a trend. Obama is not entirely to blame
I wish alot of the youngsters today could have been around when I grew up during the 70s and 80s. It was like a completely different country then. No exaggeration.

The irony is that those who grew up with so much freedom have spent the past 2 decades taking it away from everyone else, and constantly telling them what they can and cant do and how they should be living their lives.

America is finished people. It passed the point of no return awhile ago.

__________________

conan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #344
Figs
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Washington
Posts: 26,626
Default Re: Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
I don't think anyone, besides those in extreme denial can ignore the fact that in recent years we have seen more and more freedoms removed or stepped on. And I believe this will continue to be a trend. Obama is not entirely to blame...our bloated government is out of control and does what it seems fit. Obama has played a big part of it though. This country is significantly different than it was 10 years ago.

What will it be like 10 years form now? Implants? Full government surviellance? (almost there) Corporate controlled internet access? (oops...too late on that one) Full gun ban. (I'm not a fan of guns, but the right to own a gun is important) The disolving of freedom of religion. Government police forces. (already happening in some parts of the country quietly)

What we once considered the stuff of conspiracy nuts we are seeing slowly develop in real life.
I completely agree and although I've never been an Obama fan, people that solely blame him need to wake up. I'm at the point to where I'm sad and a bit worried how many people today are so PC and super sensitive that they don't care on voting on things that involve restricting or taking away freedoms. A lot of them are smaller but that's how things start. As you mentioned with the full on gun ban, that will happen. Wanting to ban and restrict Americans from being able to buy any gun that isn't a handgun, rifle or shot gun is the first step. When they achieve that, they'll start to work on finding reasons to ban all guns eventually. I agree with you the most on the fact that some people out there are in extreme denial. They tend to write all of this off as some kind of conspiracy theory but it's not something like the world banks wanting to rule all or 9/11 was in inside job, the removal of our freedoms over the years are out in the open and right in our face.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #345
Steamteck
Side-Kick
 
Steamteck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 516
Default Re: Discussion: Civil Liberties under attack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Look at all the small government Republicans voting for big government's ability to spy on everyone.

There aren't any small government Republicans anymore. Everyone in both parties seems for intrusive big government about their pet causes.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #346
Steamteck
Side-Kick
 
Steamteck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 516
Default Re: Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Who can we vote for who isn't already fully indoctrinated and sponsor approved?

Any one can show up at try outs but only those who "play ball" have any chance at making the team.

Those who have a shot at protecting our liberties or just being decent always seem to have a "scandal". No real proof or charges but ruins them anyway.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #347
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,316
Default Re: Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

So, good news. The NSA helps spy on webcams and collect the sexy and nude images.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...nudes-and-all/

Oh, wait. Did I say 'good'?

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #348
The Overlord
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 7,341
Default Re: Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

I think the problem is, a lot of people voted for Obama hoping he would start to dismantle the national security surveillance state that appeared right after 9/11, but he didn't, in some ways he made it worse. The Bush administration may have started these policies, but Obama has furthered them. That is why many consider him a disappointment. It seems like entrenched government agencies like the NSA can do whatever they want, no matter who is President. Doesn't say much about democracy in America.

The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #349
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,316
Default Re: Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

You gotta love it. Spying in US citizens is perfectly ok. But spy on the Senate, and Feinstein throws a fit.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/senat...mputer-network


And by "gotta love it" I mean "I'm sick that she's still my senator"

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #350
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,977
Default Re: Are your Civil Liberties Under Attack? Discussion

I wonder why the CIA would spy on the senate.

Who do these powerful spy agencies work for and how do we know their goals are noble?

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.