The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #76
robot
Side-Kick

Default Re: TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion - Part 4

BTW: Looks like the RT scores will settle around the 70 score... I just hope it will be above it and now just below.. like 69.. like it is now...

Old 06-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #77
SM71
bending unit

Agreed with Autonet's and Showtime's posts ^^ tho the flaws didn't really stick out as much (or at least bother me as much) as I guess they might have for other people. At the very least other aspects more than make up for them,imho

Old 06-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #78
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

There are just certain times when critics and the vast majority of the audience are on different wavelengths. This could be one of those times.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 06-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #79
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
This got eaten by thread manager, so let's try again:

Do you want to see why Siskel and Ebert were so important to the world of criticism? Watch them smack down this critic...this whole conversation reminds me of this:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
So awesome. So, so awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimshady247 View Post
Well, he's not wrong.
And has nothing to do with this discussion.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:15 AM   #80
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
The movie has flaws, but its an enjoyable, foot on the gas pedal, Summer blockbuster.
Sounds good to me.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #81
SM71
bending unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
I guess when people are looking for movies with 'heart' and 'great story' but does not care much about 'action' would...

For instance, all the transformers were really 'fun to watch' movies, but they got really low or rotten reviews...
See I thought MOS had tons of heart, and a pretty great story. Like you said I enjoy the Transformers movies for their action to some extent, but I would never in a million years say MOS is comparable to those movies. I feel that MOS has so much more heart... and incredible action which was a bonus

Old 06-12-2013, 12:17 AM   #82
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Z- View Post
i just really liked/was impressed how the movie could deal with fantastic themes/elements/characters but still seem real, and not necessarily comic booky. I love CBMs in general, and being primarily a spiderman fan must say I like marvel too, but I 100% prefer the approach DC is taking.

The elements in MOS are no less fantastic than something like Thor lets say, but MOS feels so much more real and human. Just my preference tho
This post just immediately energized me again. That's what I'm looking for. No comic book film has really gotten to me on all levels like TDKR did. I'm an adoptee, so that being the central core of the film did wonders for me and that they got it so right to made it feel all the more human to me. That's what I was hoping for in MOS for them to take where they were going there and go a step further, the trailers showed that, and reports coming in are definitely seeming like they did go there which is beyond awesome.

Also why the seriousness means a lot to me, I want them to tackle being an alien from another planet with heart and the gravitas that surrounds it and not in a hokey way. And as said, it really sounds like they did that.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Old 06-12-2013, 12:18 AM   #83
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
The movie has flaws, but its an enjoyable, foot on the gas pedal, Summer blockbuster.
So you enjoyed it Showtime?

Old 06-12-2013, 12:18 AM   #84
robot
Side-Kick

Quote:
See I thought MOS had tons of heart, and a pretty great story. Like you said I enjoy the Transformers movies for their action to some extent, but I would never in a million years say MOS is comparable to those movies. I feel that MOS has so much more heart... and incredible action which was a bonus
Wonderful!!!!

Old 06-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #85
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Sounds good to me.
Not good enough. It is suppose to be perfect!!!!

Old 06-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #86
Princess Denise
Movie Fan

Quote:
Personally, I think it absolutely will. Maybe even more than with hardcore fans. It seemed to me that a good amount of the people in my theater were going to the screening bc it was free/they won the tickets (esp the 2 girls sitting right next to me, who upon overhearing them before the movie started apparently barely knew what MOS was, saying "who knows maybe this will be good" lol) were cheering/applauding at the end. My entire theater clapped and cheered at the end
This is great news

Old 06-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #87
Apollo
Canned User

i think critics are just getting tired of all these superhero movies. especially superhero origin stories.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:29 AM   #88
gordonabishop
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
i think critics are just getting tied of all these superhero movies. especially superhero origin stories.
Agreed. Especially felt this way about the critic who lead her review with "whatever".

I certainly hope that the GA isn't getting tired of superhero movies. I know I'm not!

Old 06-12-2013, 12:31 AM   #89
Showtime
Your Friend In Time
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Sounds good to me.
Worth seeing on the big screen.

Quote:
Agreed with Autonet's and Showtime's posts ^^ tho the flaws didn't really stick out as much (or at least bother me as much) as I guess they might have for other people. At the very least other aspects more than make up for them,imho
Yeah I mean again, it's Summer. It's Superman. It's action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
So you enjoyed it Showtime?
Yeah I thought it was a fun ride. I'm not going to pretend it was the best movie I ever saw, but it was Superman learning how to actually be Superman while we watched and then he tenderized some villains for 30 plus minutes. That works.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:31 AM   #90
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

Considering how much Iron Man 3 made, I don't think they have.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #91
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
i think critics are just getting tired of all these superhero movies. especially superhero origin stories.
Within the last decade, we've only had about 15 origin films, with two of them being over the same character (Spider-Man)

1. Spider-Man (2003)

2. Hulk (2003)

3. Daredevil (2003)

4. Fantastic Four (2004)

5. The Punisher (2004)

6. Batman Begins (2005)

7. Ghost Rider (2007)

8. Iron Man (2008)

9. Wolverine: Origins (2009)

10. Thor (2011)

11. Green Lantern (2011)

12. X-Men: First Class (2011)

13. Captain America (2011)

14. The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

15. Man of Steel (2013)

Old 06-12-2013, 12:36 AM   #92
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Cassidy View Post
Considering how much Iron Man 3 made, I don't think they have.
Exactly if anything we haven't even hit near the peak yet and I don't think we ever will. We have never got tired of hearing about Hercules and all of those heroes. Why would an audience ever get bored of their modern day counter-parts who specifically reflect upon the culture we are living in today? Superheroes are here to stay. They are our modern greek mythology. It's something very primal to us and the heroes who have continued throughout the years have found a way to dive into that and stay there.

Plus these characters are all so different from another. Sure, you can narrow it down to good guy attains powers to defeat the bad guy, but really that sums up most films in some way, shape, or form as well.

"If we are all united, we can take back our lives. While they stand divided, we can fight them and their laws. If we get up off our knees, we can show them that we are people. We can take back this "free" country! - Anti-Flag
Old 06-12-2013, 12:37 AM   #93
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Quote:

Wonderful !

Heart, good score and action is all I want in a movie.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Old 06-12-2013, 12:38 AM   #94
SM71
bending unit

Well, hopefully you guys all enjoy it as much as I did! I don't wana get your hopes up too high and then be disappointed ha, but I just really did enjoy the movie that much

And again touching upon what some reviews/ppl saying the first half/origin parts were rushed/not fleshed out enough, I can understand that complaint... but to me that's only because they were really good, and I just wanted to see more. I personally feel like the entire movie could've been spent on those things, with no action at all even and I would have liked it. But if you take the pieces of backstory and origin for what they are, and realize that they needed/wanted to have awesome action and story progression to produce a well-rounded, balanced movie as well (reiterating what I previously said about every movie needing to make comprises/decisions) I think you'll really really enjoy it

Old 06-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #95
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I think the issue people are having is that the first three trailers put SO much emphasis on the smaller, intimate moments so I think to hear that that stuff is less than well-integrated and doesn't really represent what the film is is a bit off-putting.

Despite everything though, I am still hopeful that we are getting a good movie and not just a fun but forgettable movie.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 06-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #96
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Within the last decade, we've only had about 15 origin films, with two of them being over the same character (Spider-Man)

1. Spider-Man (2003)

2. Hulk (2003)

3. Daredevil (2003)

4. Fantastic Four (2004)

5. The Punisher (2004)

6. Batman Begins (2005)

7. Ghost Rider (2007)

8. Iron Man (2008)

9. Wolverine: Origins (2009)

10. Thor (2011)

11. Green Lantern (2011)

12. X-Men: First Class (2011)

13. Captain America (2011)

14. The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)

15. Man of Steel (2013)
Each one is a different character from other.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Old 06-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #97
fanboiii
♢♦ ᴍᴀᴅ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ♦♢

Quote:
I don't think it's fair to lump them altogether. How often does Romeo and Juliet get remade?

We've only seen Superman's origin once before on the big screen and it was decades ago. Besides that MOS seems to have quite a different take on the origin. Doesn't seem like a fair criticism.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:42 AM   #98
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I think the issue people are having is that the first three trailers put SO much emphasis on the smaller, intimate moments so I think to hear that that stuff is less than well-integrated and doesn't really represent what the film is is a bit off-putting.

Despite everything though, I am still hopeful that we are getting a good movie and not just a fun but forgettable movie.
I don't see how though... especially with critics saying "too serious" and "too much plot." The only thing they stated about it being a classic summer blockbuster is "too much action," and they felt it could have been more of a popcorn flick - "not funny enough." So it does sound character driven.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:45 AM   #99
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
We've only seen Superman's origin once before on the big screen and it was decades ago. Besides that MOS seems to have quite a different take on the origin. Doesn't seem like a fair criticism.
Exactly the prior Donner film really didn't touch upon the angst that faces an adoptee and being the parent of an adoptee or a biological parent who has to let their child go (which Crowe said was a HUGE part and the KEY that got him interested - the focus on the family aspect). It's a lot more real and serious (love that the critics are saying it's serious) than the classic Donner film which didn't really dive into the hardships and obstacles and growth that can come about from being an "alien" from a different planet (or in some adoptee cases - country). While Donner's film is awesome, it seems like a very different take since it never really delved into the more complicated aspects of it.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:45 AM   #100
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Quote:
But if you take the pieces of backstory and origin for what they are, and realize that they needed/wanted to have awesome action and story progression to produce a well-rounded, balanced movie as well (reiterating what I previously said about every movie needing to make comprises/decisions) I think you'll really really enjoy it
Agree, I prefer some quiet, character driven stories with some emotion and compelling characters, but that alone wouldn't be enough to sell a Superman movie that is supposed to be a summer action movie, people have been waiting for a Superman movie to have big action, so a compromise is necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post

Ultimately they have to think about movie's run-time, though I would welcome a 5 hour long Superman movie so that everything can get enough time, many wouldn't.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Closed Thread