The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #51
antonydelfini
Did I get You?!!

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - Part 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Hmm... Could you expand on what you mean by it needing more depth?
The movie tried to be emotional and dramatic in some scenes, but the dialogue in those scenes are usually awkward, and not developed enough. No subtlety in them. A bit corny at times. The dramatic scenes are actually the weak points in the movie for me.

The last Smallville flashback however towards the end of the movie, was gold.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:03 AM   #52
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - Part 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonydelfini View Post
reeves superman: 8/10
reeve superman: 9/10
cavill superman: 8/10

reeves clark kent: 8/10
reeve clark kent: 6.5/10
cavill clark kent: 8.5/10
Interesting. I can't judge yet since I've yet to see MoS but I did like Reeves' Clark better too, I just can't get that era Clark out of my head.

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 06-12-2013, 06:09 AM   #53
combocaz
Side-Kick

Nice marketing by WB, luring Hobbit fans to the theater to check its New Hobbit trailer out.

Cyborg -Ray Fisher
Aquaman -Jason Momoa
The Flash Ezra Miller
Green Lantern ?????
Old 06-12-2013, 06:09 AM   #54
Denish
Side-Kick

Re-posting this because I've got no answer =)

2 Simple questions for those who have seen the movie:

1) How much of the movie have I spoiled/ruined to myself if I have seen every clip/spot/trailer? I mean, is there a lot more than that like the tip of the iceberg as Goyer said?
2) If someone has seen it in 3D..is that worth it?

Old 06-12-2013, 06:12 AM   #55
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

I have always thought that Byrne's DP Clark was a mid 80's take on George Reeve's Clark. His Clark was never an over the top coward or bumbler. If anything, visually at least, Henry C. makes me think of that era's Supes, and in the sequel I would hope that would be what his Clark is like.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:14 AM   #56
TheNextNolan22
Bork Hungry! Bork Smash!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 06-12-2013, 06:51 AM   #57
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonydelfini View Post
I've just seen it twice.

1ST VIEWING: 6.5/10
2ND VIEWING: 8/10

1st viewing, I was expecting something complex, something more dramatic, with more depth, and maturity. I was disappointed.

For the 2nd viewing, knowing this is more of an action adventure science fiction movie than a real dramatic character study (It's more Death of Superman than For All Seasons), I really got into it.

The audience I was with seemed to love it. But the sequel needs more wit, cleverness, charm, warmth, and light-heartedness.

I might post a longer review soon but I'm just glad my favorite superhero ever is back and should be embraced by the 21st century audience.
Repeat viewings are going to be interesting to see play out on this one. Unfortunately there is a long summer of films immediately following this. It's possible they might all bomb(not the kids films) but it will surely only be number one for a week, unlike those early may films of the past or late july.

Still, this movie appears to be repeat audience friendly and will probably out gross most on blu ray because of it.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #58
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

Man of Steel may still benefit from going the Transformers route. It's in the general audience's hands now.

I think we all understand what that means: a movie with amazing special effects and action, with the story and characters being secondary and underwhelming. A movie that taps into the "lowest common denominator" (I hate that term too, but it's so appropriate here).

Why? This guarantees a sequel. It ups the chances that the producers, director, and writer(s) will listen to feedback from fans and critics. AND there's chance the box office will tell those guys "give us the same thing, reviews be damned", in the case of Transformers... but in this special case I'll put my trust in Nolan to nudge the sequel in a new and more mature direction.

I'm disappointed in these reviews. But there's still hope. Then again, I may be a grown man that hasn't quite learned to stop being naive.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #59
LordofhouseEl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
Interesting. I can't judge yet since I've yet to see MoS but I did like Reeves' Clark better too, I just can't get that era Clark out of my head.
Wow you have seen it did you like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextNolan22 View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Is there any spoilers in the review?

Old 06-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #60
Showtime
The Night He Came Home
SHH! Global Moderator

Hello.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:04 AM   #61
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

Good morning.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #62
Showtime
The Night He Came Home
SHH! Global Moderator

I am available for questions all day.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #63
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
Man of Steel may still benefit from going the Transformers route. It's in the general audience's hands now.

I think we all understand what that means: a movie with amazing special effects and action, with the story and characters being secondary and underwhelming. A movie that taps into the "lowest common denominator" (I hate that term too, but it's so appropriate here).

Why? This guarantees a sequel. It ups the chances that the producers, director, and writer(s) will listen to feedback from fans and critics. AND there's chance the box office will tell those guys "give us the same thing, reviews be damned", in the case of Transformers... but in this special case I'll put my trust in Nolan to nudge the sequel in a new and more mature direction.

I'm disappointed in these reviews. But there's still hope. Then again, I may be a grown man that hasn't quite learned to stop being naive.
Ugh. Don't say that. Never should we have to settle for a dumb shlocky action movie. Never.

Hypesters here have said that the film has depth and great character performances, as well as strong emotional drama. True spirit and heart which is what a Superman production must have. I'm not letting alot of bad reviews form my opinion before I see the film, and I suggest you do the same.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:09 AM   #64
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:

Have you actually seen the film? Cause you should make your own mind up and not care about reviews. End of the day your opinion is the only one that should matter to you.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 06-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #65
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
Do you like pink? (I mean the colour not the singer )

Seriously though, how would you rank this film amongst over CBMs? And do u know what Jamie thought of it?

Old 06-12-2013, 07:13 AM   #66
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

Smallville13 and BH/HHH, I'm using worst case scenario.

You're right, I still need to watch the movie. And if I like it? I will become its fiercest defender. Watch me.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:15 AM   #67
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:

I'd rather have a good film right now that might not get a sequel than a dumb movie that will get one. I won't benefit from the movie making a lot of money, I'll only benefit from it being good (in my view).

Old 06-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #68
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:

You're right, I still need to watch the movie. And if I like it? I will become its fiercest defender. Watch me.
I get it. We're all feeling the darkness a bit (except those here who have seen the film ) and it is very disappointing and upsetting to see something we have anxiously anticipated and followed for 3 years receive lukewarm and scathing reviews. But we have to wait til we see the film for ourselves. At least you get to see it tomorrow(?) I have to wait over 2 more weeks!

Old 06-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #69
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:

Good

Old 06-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #70
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

It's much the same feeling I get when a tornadic supercell approaches my region of Kansas.

Speeeaking of which.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
What are your thoughts on the tornado scene, and the related
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
death?

Old 06-12-2013, 07:28 AM   #71
JOE

How do you rate the movie, Showtime? Scale from 1-10 and what would you compare the movie to as far as how strong the story is compared to the action?

"If you make yourself more than just an avatar, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely... A legend, Mr. Kane52630"

@JoeJoeJoeUrBoat

MCU CBM Ratings:
Iron-Man: 7.5
The Incredible Hulk: 5.5
Iron-Man 2: 4
Thor: 5
Captain America: 6.5
The Avengers: 8
Iron-Man 3: 6
Thor 2: 5
Captain America 2: 7
Guardians of the Galaxy: 7.5

DCU CBM Ratings:
Man of Steel: 5

Old 06-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #72
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarroelaine View Post
awesome! Apparently it's done as a montage? What track do they use and how does he look in the glasses? Are they ridiculously oversized? Does he act geeky?
No he doesn't act geeky, but he definitely looks the part of Clark Kent. Like someone else said the last line of the movie is gold!

Old 06-12-2013, 07:35 AM   #73
Superherofan123
Side-Kick

I honestly can't believe this movie has a lower RT than Thor, IM2/3, and SR. I know those of you that have seen say it's great and I'm waiting to form my own opinion, but seeing that score is still disappointing. I feel like many of the reviewers went in expecting it to be like the tkdt, and all thought from what you guys have said it has some aspects of that, but this film has more action than those. Similarly, I think others went in expecting an avengers type movie, so they cam out of this saying it's too serious. From those on here that have seen the film, it seems Snyder really created a different animal when it comes to CBMs, and for whatever reason it's not what some of these critics wanted. I can't believe I ranted on that long about RT, but I seriously just don't get it!

Old 06-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #74
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Haha, never thought I'd see this:

Old 06-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #75
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

I really don't understand the criticism for this movie. After seeing it last night and sleeping on it, I still can't find any thing that I really hated or disliked enough to give this movie a low rating. The story, cast, action, special effects were fantastic all around. It's one of the best super hero origin movies and best Superman movie to date in my book.

The compliant of too much action, too much plot, no enough humor is stupid to me. This movie is a reboot its not trying to be a continuation or a reboot of the Donner films. Some critics don't seem to understand that. I mean, did anyone really think Superman Returns was an awesome movie? I certainly didn't, it's one of the worst superhero movies I EVER seen.

Closed Thread