The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #76
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - Part 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
I am available for questions all day.
Did they stick with the comedic cameo?

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 06-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #77
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion (Spoilers) - - - - - - Part 80

And the controversial ending with Zod makes sense within the context of the movie
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Supes really had to choice BUT to break Zod's neck. He was using heat vision to try to kill innocent people. And besides the portal to the phantom zone was closed and I don't think they could have opened it again. Zod said that since they destroyed his plans to bring Krypton back, he was gonna kill all the people on earth. So killing him was the only option. And Supes reaction after killing him means the act will haunt him in sequels.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #78
musclesforsupes
Side-Kick

So I too am troubled by the reviews on MOS. Last night while watching Superman Returns on TV, I fill that even though SR gets trashed it did have "heart" now I can't say that MOS does not have that yet because I have not seen it yet, however most of the reviews I have read seem to follow this trend.

I also think most critics are again saying why make Superman like Batman, why is it a dark colored suit and why is the mood dark? I think maybe the suit could be lighter in the next movie or maybe they just feel it is "more real" to go darker, however when one looks at Marvels success it is hard to see how a bright suit could make a movie suffer. Again most General Audiences will not care about this as much.

I do hope this movie succeeds however I do fear a bit of a big drop in the next few weeks if the movie doesn't have good word of mouth, hopefully the other summer blockbusters will not dent its gross.

Finally I do think it would be ironic if this movie ends up with the same critic percent as SR, however that also would be sad because then I really do not know what else we can do to make a Superman movie that gets over 90%. I also think that most people in the General Audience love and adore Christopher Reeve so much that it will be hard to not compare this movie with his, lets face it even if his movies are cheesy when viewed today; they still are well made and with a good cast. Plus the recasting Superman after what Reeve did is a bit differnet than say Tobey or Keaton. I also feel this will effect the new Batman movies too, because most feel Bale is the ideal Batman, again in the General Audience mind. Will see what happens.

Last edited by musclesforsupes; 06-12-2013 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Forgot some things
Old 06-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #79
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

But if anyone has any question feel free to ask. I got some free time now. Can't wait to see the movie again this weekend.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #80
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoxer View Post
I really don't understand the criticism for this movie. After seeing it last night and sleeping on it, I still can't find any thing that I really hated or disliked enough to give this movie a low rating. The story, cast, action, special effects were fantastic all around. It's one of the best super hero origin movies and best Superman movie to date in my book.

The compliant of too much action, too much plot, no enough humor is stupid to me. This movie is a reboot its not trying to be a continuation or a reboot of the Donner films. Some critics don't seem to understand that. I mean, did anyone really think Superman Returns was an awesome movie? I certainly didn't, it's one of the worst superhero movies I EVER seen.
I really hope Singer's misfire doe'nt end up tarnishing MOS the way it seems to be tarnishing S:TM/SII retroactively. My guess is that unless there is some clear aspect of the film like acting or scrip that is really lackluster, it may just be that Snyder and Co. have delivered a CBM that is hard for critics to categorize. Thus their lukewarm reception.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #81
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclesforsupes View Post
So I too am troubled by the reviews on MOS. Last night while watching Superman Returns on TV, I fill that even though SR gets trashed it did have "heart" now I can't say that MOS does not have that yet because I have not seen it yet, however most of the reviews I have read seem to follow this trend.

I also think most critics are again saying why make Superman like Batman, why is it a dark colored suit and why is the mood dark? I think maybe the suit could be lighter in the next movie or maybe they just feel it is "more real" to go darker, however when one looks at Marvels success it is hard to see how a bright suit could make a movie suffer. Again most General Audiences will not care about this as much.

I do hope this movie succeeds however I do fear a bit of a big drop in the next few weeks if the movie doesn't have good word of mouth, hopefully the other summer blockbusters will not dent its gross.
I wouldn't worry about the critics on this one. Most of them are expecting it to be a reboot of the Donner films. They want less action and campy humor apparently. I thought the tone was fine and it wasn't dark like the batman movies at all.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #82
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
But if anyone has any question feel free to ask. I got some free time now. Can't wait to see the movie again this weekend.
In best review.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #83
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Quote:
If you are familiar with FIST OF THE NORTHSTAR or DRAGON BALL Z, would you say the action is like either of those, only live action? Or is it more like THE AVENGERS climax, just on a larger canvas?

Old 06-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #84
LordofhouseEl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Hey show how would you rate the movie?

Old 06-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #85
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
One simple question. rate it out of 10.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #86
antonydelfini
Manners Maketh Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
If you are familiar with FIST OF THE NORTHSTAR or DRAGON BALL Z, would you say the action is like either of those, only live action? Or is it more like THE AVENGERS climax, just on a larger canvas?

Dragon Ball Z. It's insane. Lots of CGI Supes though in the battle, but the scale is the biggest I've seen yet in any movie.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #87
ModusPonens
Side-Kick

Quote:
What are your favorite superhero movies, and how does Man of Steel rank among them?

Old 06-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #88
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonydelfini View Post
Dragon Ball Z. It's insane. Lots of CGI Supes though in the battle, but the scale is the biggest I've seen yet in any movie.
Love me some DBZ. so if the action is comparable to that, but better, then great.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #89
SonofJorEl
Side-Kick

I wouldn't be worrying about some RT rating lol. Nothing to go on whatsoever. Take with a big grain of salt. Look at the score for what I consider one of my generations greatest films.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/forrest_gump/
compared to MoS
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_man_of_steel/

Exactly!

Hell, reading reviews, the same people that said Returns didn't have enough action are now saying this has too much. Go figure lol.

In Snyder's own words: "Epic, every scene, every moment, you haven't seen that"

WB and party have thrown everything at this picture including the kitchen sink.

Up, up and away!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW5Eg...-FKT45_PUTD_9G

Old 06-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #90
KryptoKnight13
Side-Kick

CANNOT WAIT for my second viewing tomorrow! Definitely lends itself to multiple watches.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #91
souperman
Side-Dish

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
The same way people can hate puppies - psychosis.

Have you seen interviews with her though? She's funnier and more animated in real life than she's ever been in movies, as this series of videos attests to:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

There are several of those I believe. Her Twitter is gold, too.

...she's got a gold twitter?

Lois: Call me Lois. Come on, I'll take you to lunch and show you the ropes.
Clark: That'd be great Lois ,...but no Shawarma.

http://soupermanshh.deviantart.com/
Old 06-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #92
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
I really hope Singer's misfire doe'nt end up tarnishing MOS the way it seems to be tarnishing S:TM/SII retroactively. My guess is that unless there is some clear aspect of the film like acting or scrip that is really lackluster, it may just be that Snyder and Co. have delivered a CBM that is hard for critics to categorize. Thus their lukewarm reception.
Maybe so, but this movie is by no means bad or deserves 60% on rotten tomatoes. It's should be in the 70 and 80's or 90's in my book.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #93
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Haven't seen those movies, but the action in this is pretty insane. The last 30 mins has so much action and destruction that I was just like HOLY CRAP during most of it. If you thought the Avengers New York battle was something wait until you see this!

Last edited by ShadowBoxer; 06-12-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #94
DarkKnight FTW
Lantern Honor Guard

Really enjoyed the movie. Faora was such a bad ass! I was exhausted afterwards, lol. Good origin movie.

CBM: BatLantern28
Twitter: Illusive_Man_1
XBL: DarkKnight FTW
Old 06-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #95
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

I mean seriously this has everything you would want in a Superman movie, minus campy humor like the Donner films. But there are humorous moments in the movie mostly with Lois, Lois and Perry and Lois and Clark.

One classic character that doesn't make an appearance in the movie is Jimmy. He is the only one missing. Even Lana Lang has a cameo in this. As someone who watched Smallville on TV for 10 years, it was kinda weird to see Pete Ross as a chubby white guy lol.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #96
Smallville13
Side-Kick

58 on Metacritic. I hope this isn't true, but I just read that the positive reviews typically come out first. If so oh boy. Anyways, I forgot we're not caring.

The fact that every Hypester who's seen it so far has really enjoyed it is enough for me!

Old 06-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #97
DarkKnight FTW
Lantern Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
58 on Metacritic. I hope this isn't true, but I just read that the positive reviews typically come out first. If so oh boy. Anyways, I forgot we're not caring.

The fact that every Hypester who's seen it so far has really enjoyed it is enough for me!
That isn't true at all. Just depends when the movie is seen. I was at a critics screening in DC last night. There's one tonight, and there was one last Thursday.

CBM: BatLantern28
Twitter: Illusive_Man_1
XBL: DarkKnight FTW
Old 06-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #98
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight FTW View Post
Really enjoyed the movie. Faora was such a bad ass! I was exhausted afterwards, lol. Good origin movie.
Definitely! Faora was more bad ass than Zod in some ways. Her fighting style was brutal and intense.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #99
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight FTW View Post
That isn't true at all. Just depends when the movie is seen. I was at a critics screening in DC last night. There's one tonight, and there was one last Thursday.
How was the vibe?

Old 06-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #100
souperman
Side-Dish

I would like to hear how people rate MOS against their all time favorite films.

Open question:

If MOS is an 8 - What Film(s) do you give a 9.5 - 10 to ? Have you ever given a 10 too a film?

Just curious about perspective.

Are people leaving room at the top for the 10 like in the Olympics...that never quite comes?

No film being perfect, none can receive a 10, to wit, a 9 really equals a 10 and therefore the MOS 8 is really a 9 ?

Lois: Call me Lois. Come on, I'll take you to lunch and show you the ropes.
Clark: That'd be great Lois ,...but no Shawarma.

http://soupermanshh.deviantart.com/
Closed Thread