hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Ryse: Son of Rome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Lord View Post
Gladiator Mode trailer

and...

"After a hands-on with the latest build on the eve of Gamescom, however, I have good news: there's no need to worry about Ryse: Son of Rome. The combat has plenty of depth, and the AI is aggressive enough that you'll be challenged plenty. Oh, and QTEs are merely optional finishing moves, with the giant button prompt over a foe's head replaced by a subtle colored outline around the not-long-for-this-world bad guy that corresponds to the button you're supposed to press in order to nail the best execution."

More at IGN.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16 View Post
Ryse revised: How Crytek altered combat for the better

(6 hours ago)

Many people really latched onto Ryse: Son of Rome's execution system when Crytek showed off the game at E3 earlier this year but probably not in the way the developer wanted them to. Ryse's executions, which grant the player various in-game perks and see protagonist Marius stabbing, gouging, slicing, bashing and otherwise maiming barbarians are performed via short quick time events. Even though the majority of Ryse's combat has an ebb and flow similar to the Batman Arkham games flurries of attacks sprinkled with timely parries many prospective players, myself included, worried about the QTE-infused combat getting stale.

Crytek has responded to those concerns, and the build of Ryse being shown at Gamescom has a significantly altered execution system. Gone are the garish button prompts. Instead, enemies are subtly highlighted with the color of the appropriate button: Yellow for the shield (Y) and blue for the sword (X). By watching Marius' animations and keeping an eye out for each color, I easily slipped into the rhythm of various executions, something I can't say about the E3 build I played in June.

The E3 reaction didn't directly inspire the changes to the execution system, design director Patrick Esteves tells me, but it definitely played a part. "We were already down a course. We already knew where executions were going. And, of course, in game development, we have to figure out what's the best way to do something."

"People don't like the idea of a QTE-based combat system. Thank God we're not a QTE-based combat system," says Esteves, alluding to the fact that there is more to Ryse's combat than people may have perceived from the E3 demo. Just as I did in June, players will eventually discover that the combat is more about a dance-like back-and-forth between Marius and foes than it is about executions. "That was the first thing," says Esteves, "and the second thing is, is the communication language good enough for the game?" Crytek decided it wasn't. Continue Reading

source:JoyStiq
Well that's good news. There were a lot of things that looked awesome with Ryse, but the focus on QTEs was extremely questionable. Glad to see that they're trying to put an effort in showing that the game is more than just a QTE-fest.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #27
HardBawl
Banned User

LOL

The game WAS NEVER a QTE fest. LOl

Its an action game with real combat, basically at the end of a kill you have an option to open up QTEs to run an array of different execution fatalities as a bonus, or, you can just skip it.

Kind of like Assassin's Creed or the Batman games where some kills are rewarded by an execution sequence, except here instead of it being random and automatic, you have control to do it and there are many different ones.

Not sure why that was so hard for some to grasp. The guy at the onstage E3 demo just got over zealous and carried away with it.

HardBawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #28
Tron Bonne
Climaxing

Most people say it on Microsoft's E3 conference, and it mostly showed QTEs. Most of the impressions about the game mentioned the QTEs especially with the infamous "we don't want to frustrate the gamer by having them fail". It was not a hard leap to make. It wasn't until after when the actual details were leaked, but first impressions had already settled in.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:58 AM   #29
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBawl View Post
LOL

The game WAS NEVER a QTE fest. LOl

Its an action game with real combat, basically at the end of a kill you have an option to open up QTEs to run an array of different execution fatalities as a bonus, or, you can just skip it.

Kind of like Assassin's Creed or the Batman games where some kills are rewarded by an execution sequence, except here instead of it being random and automatic, you have control to do it and there are many different ones.

Not sure why that was so hard for some to grasp. The guy at the onstage E3 demo just got over zealous and carried away with it.
WELL SAID.

I was never worried about this game. It looked awesome from the start. Crytek is a solid studio so I never understood why people suddenly thought they'd put out a crap product.

Best CBMs
1. Batman Begins 2. Man of Steel 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier 4. The Dark Knight 5. Avengers
113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:09 AM   #30
Tron Bonne
Climaxing

Uh, it's not well said, because:

Quote:
Most people saw it on Microsoft's E3 conference, and it mostly showed QTEs. Most of the impressions about the game mentioned the QTEs especially with the infamous "we don't want to frustrate the gamer by having them fail". It was not a hard leap to make. It wasn't until after when the actual details were leaked, but first impressions had already settled in.
I mean, what do you guys expect the reaction to be exactly? Oh, there's a gameplay video, the game must play entirely different than what we're being shown? I mean, the ****?

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:19 AM   #31
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:
Not sure why that was so hard for some to grasp.
The game was announced and began development as a Kinect-only game. That doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Plus at the Microsoft press conference at E3 it looked ridiculously scripted and filled to the brim with QTEs. That's why a lot of people look at and think it might as well be called "Button Prompt: The Game". But hey, maybe they completely changed the game from what we saw a couple of months ago.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:20 AM   #32
Tron Bonne
Climaxing

I didn't even know about it being a Kinect-only game originally

Quote:
Old 08-23-2013, 02:57 AM   #33
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
The game was announced and began development as a Kinect-only game. That doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Plus at the Microsoft press conference at E3 it looked ridiculously scripted and filled to the brim with QTEs. That's why a lot of people look at and think it might as well be called "Button Prompt: The Game". But hey, maybe they completely changed the game from what we saw a couple of months ago.
They didn't change anything. Sure they made the demo a bit too hand holdy and that hurt them but they kept saying in interviews at e3. Qtes are completely optional, its a deep combat system

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #34
Tron Bonne
Climaxing

You can tell everyone that you're the greatest power lifter in the world, but if you only show yourself lifting a single 25 lb dumbbell, what do you expect people to say. It's no one's fault but Crytech's that people thought what they thought based on what they showed. They should've showed off these deep combat first because anything if they feared people were going to understand what the game was.

Quote:
Old 08-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #35
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

I wouldn't even blame Crytek for the ****** job Microsoft did at showing off Ryse. The blame goes completely to Microsoft for the poor demonstration and poor messaging right after. If anything Crytek deserves kudos for trying to show that the game is more than a QTE-Fest.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #36
Tron Bonne
Climaxing

Whoevs

Quote:
Old 08-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #37
HardBawl
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
I wouldn't even blame Crytek for the ****** job Microsoft did at showing off Ryse. The blame goes completely to Microsoft for the poor demonstration and poor messaging right after. If anything Crytek deserves kudos for trying to show that the game is more than a QTE-Fest.
Yes
The blame falls to whoever it was that did the onstage demo at E3, weather he was a MS exec gamer, or a Crytek bug test tester.
I don't believe we know the true identity of who the culprit was exactly though. I personally think he is a Crytek employee however.

But anyway, just go youtube the video again, either the entire MS E3 pressor, or even just the Ryse onstage demo, its pretty self evident.

There is plenty of fighting and combat before the execution starts.
LOL that's why I said I never figured why it was so hard to grasp. LOL
Unless you have your head clouded by the Sony fanboy propaganda all over the web, by their attempt to pull a Jedi mind trick on the masses of weak minded individuals.

The video is like this, it shows him doing standard fighting> combat> than execution QTE. Everytime, only every fight *ended* with the execution quick time event. Keyword to the truth in bold italics there.

The problem wasn't every encounter was a qte from start to finish, NO, it starts with regular combat, like Assassin's Creed or the Batman Arkham games, just ALL of the encounters and fights ended with execution moves on every soldier he encountered 100%, because the guy doing the demo got carried away and didn't explain while playing that it is only a bonus option.

So, there were a lot of QTEs finishers which was translated and twisted by Sony fanboys all over the internet into EVERYTHING IS QTE FEST FROM START TO FINISH!!! ZOMG!!! Acting like as soon as you see an enemy, the qte starts, which is far from the truth, as seen by just simply watching the on stage performance and the MS E3 pressor.

Last edited by HardBawl; 08-25-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #38
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quote:
Unless you have your head clouded by the Sony fanboy propaganda all over the web, by their attempt to pull a Jedi mind trick on the masses of weak minded individuals.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #39
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Yes
The blame falls to whoever it was that did the onstage demo at E3, weather he was a MS exec gamer, or a Crytek bug test tester.
I don't believe we know the true identity of who the culprit was exactly though. I personally think he is a Crytek employee however.
He may have been a Crytek employee, but considering that Microsoft is funding the game, Crytek has to do what Microsoft says in regards to showing it off.

Quote:
There is plenty of fighting and combat before the execution starts.
LOL that's why I said I never figured why it was so hard to grasp. LOL
I watched the whole damn thing live. It looked cool at first until the QTEs went a little crazy and then Microsoft had to keep opening their mouths. Again, legitimate criticisms don't equate to Sony propaganda. Microsoft's messaging until recently has just been really, really, REALLY bad in regards to the Xbox One. I would say that Crytek has done a far better job in promoting the game than Microsoft has.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #40
HardBawl
Banned User

[QUOTE=hippie_hunter;26724203]He may have been a Crytek employee, but considering that Microsoft is funding the game, Crytek has to do what Microsoft says in regards to showing it off.

Yeah, I disagree.
Nah, MS is only the publisher, they don't make the game, so that's just silly for them to be expected to not trust the developers judgement in allowing them to demo the game that they are making.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #41
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

People who showcase these things should be more aware of how gamers at large might negatively view a certain aspect of their demo. It's part of their job and everyone linked to Microsoft has been mucking up on this front until the last month or so.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #42
HardBawl
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
People who showcase these things should be more aware of how gamers at large might negatively view a certain aspect of their demo.

Yes, I agree. As the developer, you are making a game you want people to buy, so you are showcasing the game.

Can't blame the publisher.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #43
HardBawl
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Microsoft has been mucking up on this front until the last month or so.

I don't think Microsoft has been "mucking up" anything as you say. I think thier has been a very vocal rejection of Microsoft's policies since announced, but to me, they were likely testing the waters.

The fact that they reversed everything shows they still aim to please.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #44
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Yes, I agree. As the developer, you are making a game you want people to buy, so you are showcasing the game.

Can't blame the publisher.
It's the publisher's responsibility to promote the game, particularly if they are the ones who own the IP, not the developer.

Quote:
I don't think Microsoft has been "mucking up" anything as you say. I think thier has been a very vocal rejection of Microsoft's policies since announced,
Microsoft's messaging has been absolutely horrible until the past month in which they finally relented to consumer anger. If Microsoft were much more effective on the messaging front, I think they could have gotten away with the policies that they tried to enact. I blame Phil Harrison the most in the absolute failure of the messaging of the Xbox One. He absolutely mucked up the messaging of the PlayStation 3 at launch (along with Ken Kutaragi) and I don't get why Microsoft decided to think that hiring that buffoon was a good idea considering the horrible job he did at Sony.

Quote:
but to me, they were likely testing the waters.
Testing the waters is when there were rumors of what Microsoft's policies were going to be and listening to consumer reaction then. The reaction was already extremely negative before they were even announced, so it absolutely baffles me that they actually went forward with it. Microsoft's policies weren't Microsoft testing the waters, it was Microsoft being serious.

Quote:
The fact that they reversed everything shows they still aim to please.
They reversed everything because they had no other choice. Microsoft's policies and more expensive price point was resulting in the PlayStation 4 dominating the pre-orders, dominating the PR battle, and alienating consumers and indie developers. Now that Microsoft has reversed almost all of the things that people really hated about it, things are more even now; which is a good thing because we don't need Sony to get cocky.....again like they were with the launch of the PlayStation 3.

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/images/130621.jpg

Old 08-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #45
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

have they shown any gameplay footage of the "updated" combat that's not all QTEs?

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #46
HardBawl
Banned User

Quote:
It's the publisher's responsibility to promote the game, particularly if they are the ones who own the IP, not the developer.[/URL]

Yes but the developers make the games. Not sure why you are twisting it.

The publisher handles the advertising yeah, they'll make the commercial and place ads in magazines and on the web. If it was just a video I would agree, but it was a demonstration of the game.

I'm pretty sure both the publishers and the developers don't want to have to micromanage the developers' game making process.

Hence when a dev is showing off a game, both the dev and the publisher should be confident enough in the developer, and trust their abilities to be competent enough to show people how to play the game they are making and demoing and highlight its features.

I think the guy on stage was trying to highlight the execution moves because he enjoyed them, they do look rather satisfying to be honest.

Last edited by HardBawl; 08-26-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #47
HardBawl
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
have they shown any gameplay footage of the "updated" combat that's not all QTEs?
You mean combat where the player opts out of doing the execution bonus?

Plenty, just youtube.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #48
HardBawl
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 113 View Post
WELL SAID.

I was never worried about this game. It looked awesome from the start. Crytek is a solid studio so I never understood why people suddenly thought they'd put out a crap product.
Agreed, and thank you.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #49
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Yes but the developers make the games. Not sure why you are twisting it.

The publisher handles the advertising yeah, they'll make the commercial and place ads in magazines and on the web. iF it was just a video I would agree, but it was a demonstration of the game.

I'm pretty sure both the publishers and the developers don't want to have to micromanage the developers' game making process.

Hence when a dev is showing off a game, both the dev and the publisher should be confident enough in the developer, and trust their abilities to be competent to show people how to play the game they are making.
I'm not twisting anything, it's just simple fact. I certainly agree with you that there should be confidence in the developer, but there are a lot of times where the publisher just sets the developer up for failure because in the end, the messaging and promotion of a game lies completely with the publisher. Demonstrations are a part of the marketing and messaging of a game and Microsoft was the one who set up everything at the E3 presser. They're the ones who told Crytek what to do during the demonstration, and Microsoft were the ones who kept making the game out to be something that it isn't. Crytek deserves credit for going above and beyond what they should be doing and making sure that people think that this is going to be a good game (and they're doing a good job at it as well).

Developers have no responsibility with the marketing and messaging of a video game. The publisher is the one at most risk because they are often the ones putting forth the money and it's often their IP being used. With Metal Gear Rising, it was not Platinum Games' responsibility to promote the game, it was Konami's. With Ratchet & Clank, it is not Insomniac's responsibility, it's Sony's. With Gears of War, it's Microsoft's duties to handle the messaging, not Epic Games. You see my point.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #50
HardBawl
Banned User

Quote:
I'm not twisting anything, it's just simple fact. I certainly agree with you that there should be confidence in the developer, but there are a lot of times where the publisher just sets the developer up for failure because in the end, the messaging and promotion of a game lies completely with the publisher.

Yeah, but the onstage demo is pretty straight forward, you made the game, now play it and show everyone how its done. Simple.

There wasn't any trickery with promotional contrast to the game. Microsoft, as the publisher did an excellent job is presenting what the title is, Gladiator Maximus the video game. Nothing illusive there. It honestly seems like you're trying to twist it to blame MS, that's just how I see it and am reading it.