The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Microsoft

Old 11-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #76
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Default Re: Ryse: Son of Rome

I'll get this for sure, just don't know when. Haven't got time for that many games in the 1st half of 2014 but should be freer after that.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #77
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Im watching a live stream of it on IGN and they seem pretty high on it. They say don't be surprised if the game actually impresses you after all the lukewarm reactions to it so far. One of the guys mentions this is a game he'd deff want to get all the achievements for.

The combat looks to be a lot of fun and possibly a bit difficult as the enemies don't wait their turn to attack.

Iv got 30 bux in Gamestop credit, i think ima put that towards this. Still gonna wait until Friday, but from what iv seen, I'm liking it.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #78
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

The early coverage was biased by pratts obviously looking to write off an XB1 exclusive. Mistaken declarations after 2 minutes that the whole thing was quick time events when it is in fact a regular button basher (different kind of sin which other games seem to do well in spite of) with button prompts only for executions. People influenced by that will likely be in for a positive surprise as at least that element of it will be better than portrayed. The rest of the game, who knows but it at least looks very good.

Reviews will be interesting. If critics and fellow gamers aren’t too keen I’ll wait longer maybe after mid 2014; if it’s well liked I’ll dive in within a few months. Killer Instinct, FIFA 14, BF4 (when confirmed fixed) & AC4 are higher priorities with Destiny & TitanFall taking up all my attention when they launch respectively .

Old 11-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #79
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Yea from the preview I watched it looked like any other standard action game, which people seem to not have an issue with, yet with Ryse they do. The gameplay looks to be fun, if not a bit generic so I tbink the story is what will make it or break it. Either way I'm looking forward to hearing others thoughts on it.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:42 AM   #80
Nathan

Ouch, someone didn't like Ryse. Adam Sessler reviewed it, and the graphics were the only Pros I think.

Last edited by Nathan; 11-21-2013 at 05:45 AM.
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #81
Havok83
Side-Kick

It got a 6.8 on IGN. Not bad. I suspect it'll average out to mediocre scores

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:52 AM   #82
Poetic Chaos
Hella fetch.

Pretty much the exact criticism I expected. Lack of combat depth. Still excited but hearing the campaign is only 6 hours is kind of a bummer. Wish it had local-multiplayer for the Colosseum at least.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:54 AM   #83
Oscorp
I hate you...so much!

It looks like what Killzone: Shadow Fall seems to be (IMO): a game with a nice looking shell but no substance inside it. Visuals over gameplay, so to speak. But that's expected from launch games I'd say. That's why I wait buying a new console.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:15 AM   #84
Poetic Chaos
Hella fetch.

sounds right.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #85
Donut
Side-Kick

I'm interested in this game. But will probably wait until its cheaper

Donut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #86
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

The reviews are just average, definitely below the likes of DR3 & Killer Instinct. I'll wait on this for about 8 months or so. Sure I'll enjoy it regardless due to the setting and visuals even if it's just continuously bashing one button as long as it's not stupidly difficult. Difficulty should be reserved for games with super-tight controls.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #87
Nathan

Average games can still be fun, but I'm honestly already getting bored just watching the combat. What's really disappointing, is that your button input actually doesn't matter. Once the finishing moves start, it doesn't matter if you miss pressing Y or X, or just press the wrong button. Heck, even if you press nothing, the finishing move will be executed without a hitch. The only thing changing are the points you receive. So you can't even **** up a QTE.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #88
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

That's the best type of QTE! In fact if you can't fail it's not even a QTE in the normal negative sense. Some of those early commenters seem to have been forgetting the main way in which QTEs are so bad.. maybe they need to replay RE6 on the hardest difficulty lol. The problem here sounds like potentially repetitive boring combat with little depth or variety. That's a genuine problem nothing to do with QTEs but I'm sure I will enjoy a game like this regardless just playing through the story mode of a Roman epic (don't know why there aren't more games like this). But I can wait a fair while before picking it up after being disappointed with the reviews.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #89
Dugath
Side-Kick

Perhaps I am wrong (usually am) but it really seems these games were rushed to be "playable" because they were not really expecting to release so soon.

I expect later release games next year to be more polished.

Dugath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #90
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Yeah everything released (multiplatform or exclusive) so far seems like a transition title. I'm hoping Destiny will be the 1st to feel truly next gen in all departments.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #91
Tron Bonne
Nothing Less Than 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Yeah everything released (multiplatform or exclusive) so far seems like a transition title. I'm hoping Destiny will be the 1st to feel truly next gen in all departments.
Isn't Destiny a cross gen game?

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #92
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
Isn't Destiny a cross gen game?
Yeah, damn forgot about that. Maybe my wait will be even longer then. When is Witcher 3 out? I think TitanFall will feel & play next gen although it might not look next gen.

At least I know Destiny looks really great after seeing a lot of unplayable footage at Eurogamer.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:31 PM   #93
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Yea iv said it before, but The Witcher 3 will be the first game that people play and say, yea, the next generation of consoles is here. Nothing before that will create that level of awe.

As for this. IDK, I was pretty meh on it up until this week and i had no real desire to pick it up. And then i started watching more in depth previews and i started to like more and more of what i saw. I just watched the IGN review and was actually surprised they gave it a 6. With the way the dude was talking i was like oh damn this will end up a 7 or 8. The combat may be repetitive but it looks fun. Slicing up dudes in co-op also seems to be pretty fun. So yea, I'm picking this up tomorrow.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #94
Soapy
It's happening again...

Quick Look: Ryse

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #95
Havok83
Side-Kick

So that 6.8 from IGN I posted earlier is the highest its gotten since and its been downhill from there? Not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
. I just watched the IGN review and was actually surprised they gave it a 6. With the way the dude was talking i was like oh damn this will end up a 7 or 8.
a 6.8 is about a 7

Last edited by Havok83; 11-21-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #96
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
Yea iv said it before, but The Witcher 3 will be the first game that people play and say, yea, the next generation of consoles is here. Nothing before that will create that level of awe.

As for this. IDK, I was pretty meh on it up until this week and i had no real desire to pick it up. And then i started watching more in depth previews and i started to like more and more of what i saw. I just watched the IGN review and was actually surprised they gave it a 6. With the way the dude was talking i was like oh damn this will end up a 7 or 8. The combat may be repetitive but it looks fun. Slicing up dudes in co-op also seems to be pretty fun. So yea, I'm picking this up tomorrow.
The co-op is in multiplayer, not campaign right?

Old 11-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #97
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
The co-op is in multiplayer, not campaign right?
Correct.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #98
zenith16
Side-Kick

l

• GI Rating 6.0
    Ryse: Son of Rome

on Nov 21, 2013 at 05:00 AM

When Marius goes in for the kill, we get a good look at why Ryse: Son of Rome will both draw gawking glances and be rendered unappealing.
    ... More

source:GT &GI

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #99
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Overall Metacritic is 61. Not great, almost Knack territory. I'll get stuck into Killer Instinct (74) first and will buy Dead Rising 3 (78.. pretty good for a launch retail game) before Ryse. Not that I'm obsessed with ratings but all 3 of these games have a similar appeal to me outside of quality. Usually DR would have less than the other 2 but this one looks more my style than the 1st 2.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #100
zenith16
Side-Kick

Here's GI's test chamber

• Test Chamber – Ryse: Son Of Rome

Test Chamber
    on Nov 22, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Xbox One launches today and we're taking a look at most of its launch lineup titles, including Crytek's brawler Ryse: Son of Rome.
    ... More

still waiting for both EPD.ROTR's (most likely in editing) and Giant bombs reviews

zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote