The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Microsoft

Old 11-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #101
jacobed
Banned User

Default Re: Ryse: Son of Rome

I don't think it deserves the poor ratings it is getting. Yeah it doesn't deserve high ratings but a 7 is what the game is. It's repetitive but its fun. The executions are great and there's a crap ton of.them. also its easily the best looking game of this year. Easily.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #102
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
I don't think it deserves the poor ratings it is getting. Yeah it doesn't deserve high ratings but a 7 is what the game is. It's repetitive but its fun. The executions are great and there's a crap ton of.them. also its easily the best looking game of this year. Easily.
Yea it deff doesnt deserve anything less than a 6. Iv seen some as low as 4, which leads me to believe theres just some form of anti Xbox One sentiment that became so cool after E3. Most of the complaints about the game are justified, its repetitive, not much mission variety etc, but the game plays very well. Its not buggy or glitchy, the combat is fluid and easy to pick up and of course the game is gorgeous. Im almost through with the game and have had an absolute blast with it, both in SP and the Co Op mode.

I really hope MS allows Crytek to do another game. This could be another Assassins Creed scenario where the first game didn't live up to expectations but with the second game, exceeded them.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #103
jacobed
Banned User

Reminds me a lot of Assassins Creed 1. Solid base to build upon for the sequel. I hope they attempt s sequel. It's hard to imagine what a next gen game will look like once Crytek has gotten to fully play around with the system

Old 11-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #104
Nathan

I hope the second game will focus on Spartans. We still need a proper 300 inspired game.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #105
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I hope the second game will focus on Spartans. We still need a proper 300 inspired game.
I was thinking that exact same thing last night, about the Spartans.

I think that could be a cool thing for the series, each game focus on a different group of warriors. You've got roman legionaries, then maybe spartans then samurai or something. If the series continues that could be a neat way to keep it fresh.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #106
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
leads me to believe theres just some form of anti Xbox One sentiment that became so cool after E3. .
Are you kidding me dude? It's been about as subtle as...I don't know George Bush.

I wish there were more games of this type. God of War is one of my favourite games and there's no reason why the gameplay on this can't be made as good. Hopefully there is a sequel and it does an AC2.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #107
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Exactly! I want to be playing AAA game versions of Gladiator and 300. And even Troy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPat2280 View Post
I was thinking that exact same thing last night, about the Spartans.

I think that could be a cool thing for the series, each game focus on a different group of warriors. You've got roman legionaries, then maybe spartans then samurai or something. If the series continues that could be a neat way to keep it fresh.
Sign me up for all of those! I'll pay them to make all those with God of War standard gameplay.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #108
jacobed
Banned User

I'd much rather have the more realistic, Assassins Creed/Batman inspired combat of Ryse over God of War for a series like this. God of War is more over the top, fantasyish which this game is not. This combat is really damn good, just a bit bare something they can easily spruce up in a sequel.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #109
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Oh right. I though it looked over the top from the videos. Guess I'm more drawn to the fantasy side but I'd love someone to combine this kind of game with mythology using The Argonauts for eg.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #110
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Oh right. I though it looked over the top from the videos. Guess I'm more drawn to the fantasy side but I'd love someone to combine this kind of game with mythology using The Argonauts for eg.
Yea its fairly authentic, theres deff some fantasy elements throughout the game but its much more grounded than a God Of War.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:55 AM   #111
Poetic Chaos
Hella fetch.

Beat this last night. Easily my favorite launch game so far. There's not much to the combat but it kept me engaged just with the amount of people attacking me. Add in the different styles that require different defense/offense and I died plenty of times in this game. And I enjoyed the story too. Would love a sequel.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #112
zenith16
Side-Kick

A very late review

Shows

Ryse: Son Of Rome Review

Jose and Tom become the Son Of Rome in Ryse.

Synopsis: they raised their swords in Son Of Rome in Ryse. Amazing expressions and visuals, But it's too linear and repetitive.

Jose's score 7.5 Tom's score 6.0

and here's the full show

Shows

December 3 – Reviews on the Run – Full Show

Become the Son of Rome in Ryse, put old-gen up against new-gen with LEGO Marvel Super Heroes, fight zombies with keyboards in The Typing Of The Dead Overkill and check out #14 in the ROTR Top 100 Game

source:EPD.TV/ROTR

Last edited by zenith16; 12-04-2013 at 05:11 AM.
zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #113
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Chaos View Post
Beat this last night. Easily my favorite launch game so far. There's not much to the combat but it kept me engaged just with the amount of people attacking me. Add in the different styles that require different defense/offense and I died plenty of times in this game. And I enjoyed the story too. Would love a sequel.
Yea thats pretty much my thoughts. I really dug this game. FAR more than i ever thought i would going by the review scores. I had been wanting a game like this for quite some time tho. A semi authentic roman, sword and shield beat em up and this is pretty much just what the doctor ordered. I thought the story, while simplistic was pretty damn cool. Thought the acting was phenomenal all the way around and my god the game is gorgeous. The combat is just so brutal that im able to overlook its simple nature. The emotions on a dudes face as you cut his arm clean off is just great. Easily some of the best facial animations on a console. I deff hope MS lets Crytek make another game, because they have a great base to do something really cool. Im gonna buy the season pass for all the co-op stuff once i get my One back from MS.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:11 AM   #114
Dugath
Side-Kick

My thoughts as I am almost done this game.

Still looks beautiful.
It has an engaging story
Combat is ok, not too complicated and could be better.
I wish the finishing moves was not already determined (and not mattering what buttons you press) instead were dependent on what buttons you pressed.
So instead of the guy flashing Blue or Yellow.. it was just flash white.. you tap a button, it does a move.. he flashes white.. you tap a different button..ect...
so you create your own.. or are at least able to chose (different finishers have different button combos).

I wish this game was just not so straight forward. They more or less give you one path to run down and then you fight..repeat.

It is fun for what it is. I just wish it was more of an open world.

I am playing it more than DR3 and BF4 so it is enjoyable.

Battle Field 4

Last edited by Dugath; 12-04-2013 at 04:14 AM.
Dugath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #115
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

Well I beat the campaign today.

* The graphics are absolutely stunning with great animations.
* The executions are fun to watch are don't really get too old.
* The story is nice as well as the acting.
* The gameplay is a bit of a mixed bag. I liked the combat mechanics so it's repetitiveness didn't bother me too much however there is no sense of progression whatsoever. I mean, you can upgrade your health bar, your rage bar, get new executions but that's about it. No new armors, no new weapons, no new moves, and no new abilities. Everything you get in the first 30 minutes of the game is exactly what you'll be fighting with in the last 30 minutes of the game.
* The enemies are quite dull. You have your basic, generic enemies and that's all you get. They may look different in different levels but they are the same in terms of AI and attack patterns.
* The boss fights are extremely disappointing. These aren't even boss fights, they are more like mini-bosses if anything.

6.5-7.0/10

GENERAL RAAM582 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #116
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Yea I hope in the next game(if theres a next game) we can equip our solider with different armors or weapons. However, it does make sense why we didn't. Roman soldiers wouldn't use just any weapon, their sword and shield was the core of their attack training. Same goes for the armor, it identified rank and for the most part thats who you were playing as, a Roman solider within the Roman army.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #117
Donut
Side-Kick

I have been busy since Thanksgiving. But I am pretty much on the last level now. This game is & was ****ing great

Donut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #118
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
I have been busy since Thanksgiving. But I am pretty much on the last level now. This game is & was ****ing great
Yea i thoroughly enjoyed it. I just beat the game on the toughest difficulty and that was a lot of fun. Made the combat so much more challenging and rewarding.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:26 PM   #119
jacobed
Banned User

I really love the mp in this, freakin love it

Old 12-14-2013, 03:23 AM   #120
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
I really love the mp in this, freakin love it
Yea I dig it as well. In fact I picked up the season pass today.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #121
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL RAAM582 View Post
Well I beat the campaign today.

* The graphics are absolutely stunning with great animations.
* The executions are fun to watch are don't really get too old.
* The story is nice as well as the acting.
* The gameplay is a bit of a mixed bag. I liked the combat mechanics so it's repetitiveness didn't bother me too much however there is no sense of progression whatsoever. I mean, you can upgrade your health bar, your rage bar, get new executions but that's about it. No new armors, no new weapons, no new moves, and no new abilities. Everything you get in the first 30 minutes of the game is exactly what you'll be fighting with in the last 30 minutes of the game.
* The enemies are quite dull. You have your basic, generic enemies and that's all you get. They may look different in different levels but they are the same in terms of AI and attack patterns.
* The boss fights are extremely disappointing. These aren't even boss fights, they are more like mini-bosses if anything.

6.5-7.0/10
I see enemy variety as a possible problem in a hack and slash game against just human soldiers in other armies. It doesn't matter so much in shooters but probably why I prefer games like Ryse to have a fantasy element.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #122
jacobed
Banned User

I didn't find enemy types a problem, there was what 4 or 5 different ones. That's pretty standard in a game, problem is they don't really require you to change your tactics. Like look at Batman there's what only 4 different kinds of bad guys normally but they make you change up how you're fighting.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #123
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

I just played the co-op missions on each map/arena today via "Round to Round" mode. I really enjoyed the co-op, it was pretty fun. All I have to do now are those arena challenges. I think the co-op can solidify a 7.0 rating for the entire game.

GENERAL RAAM582 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #124
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
I didn't find enemy types a problem, there was what 4 or 5 different ones. That's pretty standard in a game, problem is they don't really require you to change your tactics. Like look at Batman there's what only 4 different kinds of bad guys normally but they make you change up how you're fighting.
Yea id agree with that, altho, on the hardest difficulty you have to pay attention a bit more. For instance in the other difficulties when there is an unblockable attack, the enemy will glow red, on the highest difficulty that doesnt happen. Also, enemies will lead with that unblockable attack more frequently. So you can be blocking all the standard attacks then all of sudden an enemy does an unblockable move and you find yourself pressing A too early and when they connect, it takes a LOT of life.

Last edited by ProjectPat2280; 12-14-2013 at 08:41 PM.
ProjectPat2280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #125
jacobed
Banned User

Yeah legendary changes things up big time. Even the grunts get hard.