The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #51
Blackman
C'mon Son

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - Part 13

-I dont mind product placement in movies. In fact it annoys me more when people bring it up

Old 06-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #52
Gary Griffith
Side-Kick

I agree people take product placement too seriously, but it's all in context.
I'm a huge Bond fan, and the 007 films are known for their product placement, and there's no denying it. As a fan I don't really care, but there are times when it goes to extremes. Like I said it's all context. I mean in Moonraker there's a scene where Roger Moore finds an airplane ticket in Holly Goodhead's draw. The ticket is for Rio De Jenaro(?) and it's from TWA or Pan Am or some BIG airline, but it didn't bother me 'cos it moves the plot to Rio. It feels natural. Now later in the film when Bond throws a thug out of an ambulance, and the bad guy ends up head first in a Malboro Cigarettes billboard, it throws the product placement in your face. Not a big deal really, but a bit annoying.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:52 AM   #53
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
-I dont mind product placement in movies. In fact it annoys me more when people bring it up
I never notice it. People act like it's the scene from Wayne's World sometimes.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #54
Tron Bonne
Trying Not To Look...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Griffith View Post
I'm a huge Bond fan, and the 007 films are known for their product placement, and there's no denying it. As a fan I don't really care, but there are times when it goes to extremes. Like I said it's all context. I mean in Moonraker there's a scene where Roger Moore finds an airplane ticket in Holly Goodhead's draw. The ticket is for Rio De Jenaro(?) and it's from TWA or Pan Am or some BIG airline, but it didn't bother me 'cos it moves the plot to Rio. It feels natural. Now later in the film when Bond throws a thug out of an ambulance, and the bad guy ends up head first in a Malboro Cigarettes billboard, it throws the product placement in your face. Not a big deal really, but a bit annoying.
Yeah, pretty much how I feel. If we're going to do it, at least make it natural to what's happening. I don't see how people aren't bothered when they throw it your face, it's so distracting and distasteful.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #55
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Darko View Post
I assumed Spirit of Vengeance would be better. I do need to check it out.
It's a fun over the top crazy action and Cage crazy wacked charm
As a story, it's lesser than the first movie

Old 06-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #56
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Superman Returns was tons better than Man of Steel.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #57
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

I enjoyed Battleship. It was by no means a masterpiece, but it was a pretty fun watch, especially watching it at home over some beers. I don't think it would've been fun for a theater viewing, since my wife and I wouldn't be able to talk and joke during it.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:40 PM   #58
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
Yeah, pretty much how I feel. If we're going to do it, at least make it natural to what's happening. I don't see how people aren't bothered when they throw it your face, it's so distracting and distasteful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Griffith View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
I never notice it. People act like it's the scene from Wayne's World sometimes.
I mean I've seen bad product placement....I mean BAD. Mostly on TV shows

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
although this one seems like it could be satirical like the Arrested Development BK one

But for example, i hear people critizing MoS for having Sears and IHOP or even some TV shows because "every computer is a Windows." I mean Im sorry but i just dont give a f***. Unless they write a whole scene just for the product placement like examples I posted above I dont care if you show a logo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
Superman Returns was tons better than Man of Steel.
Honestly the more I think about MoS the more I dont like it. It's not a terrible movie, it has it's flaws. But as a lifelong (short life) Superman fan it's terrible. Im actually surprised that so many Superman fans like it (unpopular opinion right there) Im actually really disappointed and dont think Ive been this disappointed in a movie ever

However, I think if you combine SR and MoS and add a few more elements that would be a damn good Superman movie

Old 06-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #59
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Yep, I agree. MoS is this year's TASM for me; while its not technically bad, it's missing so many elements of the character, that all it does is make you nostalgic for the other movies.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #60
Blackman
C'mon Son

Someone actually said something that made me realize how I felt about MoS and TASM. They're prequels. They dont include so many classic elements and things that made me like the character in order to save them for the sequel.
MoS2 and TASM2 I think for me will make or break how I feel about the current team and how they tackle my favorite heroes.

But CConn, how did you feel about Superman killing Zod

Old 06-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #61
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Someone actually said something that made me realize how I felt about MoS and TASM. They're prequels. They dont include so many classic elements and things that made me like the character in order to save them for the sequel.
MoS2 and TASM2 I think for me will make or break how I feel about the current team and how they tackle my favorite heroes.

But CConn, how did you feel about Superman killing Zod
Didn't matter either way to me. The actual Zod/Superman stuff was pretty solid.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #62
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Django Unchained is a great film, easily my favorite of 2012 movies
But the big shooting out scene is nothing special, Punisher War Zone is miles more fun in that aspect

Old 06-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #63
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
Yep, I agree. MoS is this year's TASM for me; while its not technically bad, it's missing so many elements of the character, that all it does is make you nostalgic for the other movies.
I haven't seem MoS yet, which seems to be getting a mixed reception to say the least. What I liked mostly about TASM was not really the technical aspect of the film but more Garfield's take on the character and I'm looking forward to part 2, hoping that the script and also the villains will be better next time around. What you say about the actual Zod/Superman stuff being pretty solid in MoS gives me some hope that I might still enjoy the film on some level

Laugh now, laugh later.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #64
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
Django Unchained is a great film, easily my favorite of 2012 movies
But the big shooting out scene is nothing special, Punisher War Zone is miles more fun in that aspect
For me a bigger problem with Django (which was also one of my favorites of 2012 movies) is that it should have ended after the big shooting out scene and not dragged on for another 40 mns or so.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Also losing two great characters like Schultz and Candie didn't help, kind of like when Kubrick killed Vincent D'Onofrio and R. Lee Ermey's characters half way through Full Metal Jacket

Laugh now, laugh later.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:00 AM   #65
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

gwynplaine, you've reminded me of a somewhat unpopular opinion of mine.

I think the second half of Full Metal Jacket is vastly superior to the first.

Free Original Music
Old 06-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #66
Jordacar
The Endless One

I really liked the ending of Source Code. Reminds me of classic Doctor Who.

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #67
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
gwynplaine, you've reminded me of a somewhat unpopular opinion of mine.

I think the second half of Full Metal Jacket is vastly superior to the first.
Good unpopular opinion (I think it's the 1st time I hear that)

Laugh now, laugh later.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #68
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynplaine View Post
For me a bigger problem with Django (which was also one of my favorites of 2012 movies) is that it should have ended after the big shooting out scene and not dragged on for another 40 mns or so.

Also losing two great characters like Schultz and Candie didn't help, kind of like when Kubrick killed Vincent D'Onofrio and R. Lee Ermey's characters half way through Full Metal Jacket
I thought that was dragging the movie as well, but it led to significant and satisfying moments, so I don't mind it that much
I strongly agree when it comes to the death of Dr. Schultz

Old 06-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #69
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Quote:
I haven't seem MoS yet, which seems to be getting a mixed reception to say the least. What I liked mostly about TASM was not really the technical aspect of the film but more Garfield's take on the character and I'm looking forward to part 2, hoping that the script and also the villains will be better next time around. What you say about the actual Zod/Superman stuff being pretty solid in MoS gives me some hope that I might still enjoy the film on some level
Odd thing is, I haven't seen it yet either. Hurt my Achilles tendon on Thursday fixing the car. Cannot even wear shoes on the left foot or move my ankle much at all. I'm gonna try to see it this afternoon ... or tomorrow afternoon.

Wait years to see a movie and sidelined the day before it comes out!

Old 06-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #70
Max J Power
Trash Boat

Quote:

While I agree the time after the shootout should have been shorter (since the shootout was so climactic), I thought the movie dragged even more in the middle. The time between Django and Schultz finishing their initial round of jobs and getting to Candieland was the closest I've ever come to being bored during a Tarantino movie. Pending a second viewing, I'd say Django ties Death Proof for his weakest. I still thought both were good though.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #71
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenScratch View Post
Odd thing is, I haven't seen it yet either. Hurt my Achilles tendon on Thursday fixing the car. Cannot even wear shoes on the left foot or move my ankle much at all. I'm gonna try to see it this afternoon ... or tomorrow afternoon.

Wait years to see a movie and sidelined the day before it comes out!
Bummer! It sucks to have to hop to a theater to watch a man fly More seriously, I hope you feel better soon and enjoy the film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max J Power View Post
While I agree the time after the shootout should have been shorter (since the shootout was so climactic), I thought the movie dragged even more in the middle. The time between Django and Schultz finishing their initial round of jobs and getting to Candieland was the closest I've ever come to being bored during a Tarantino movie. Pending a second viewing, I'd say Django ties Death Proof for his weakest. I still thought both were good though.
I agree, Django would have benefited a lot from being tightened more, especially in the sections you mentioned

Laugh now, laugh later.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #72
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

Django Unchained very well might be weaker than anything of Tarantino's career, aside from Death Proof. It's still good, which I guess shows his strong talents as a filmmaker.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #73
Spider-Aziz
SUPERMAN

Like Dr. Schultz, Bloodnofsky is a great character
I think the guy playing those two characters is one of my current favorite actors

Old 06-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #74
Steamteck
Side-Kick

I really really dislike The Dark Knight and could literally go on for hours about the problems I have with it. I've watched it multiple times trying to gleam what is dso great about it but it gets worse each time I see it.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #75
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Careful saying that around these parts.

Closed Thread