Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #26
!Superman!
Side-Kick

Default Re: TMOS Reviews Thread - Non Spoiler Review and Discussion - Part 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagodave View Post
I can care less what a critic says im going to see it regardless but all these horrible reviews are going to make it tough for a sequel let alone any other dc follow ups.

? horrible reviews didnt stop hollywood to make Transformers 4 !

reviews dont make or break a movie as long as people go and see the movie !

Last edited by !Superman!; 06-12-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #27
Hoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
I can care less what a critic says im going to see it regardless but all these horrible reviews are going to make it tough for a sequel let alone any other dc follow ups.
http://whatculture.com/film/man-of-s...ill-return.php

Sequel is already announced.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #28
slimshady247
The Chesapeake Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaleISBatman4ev View Post
Yeah the days leading up to the prestige it was in the 60s and around when it came out it jumped up considerably
Its score is still pretty "low" considering it's Nolan's best film (for me, anyway).

Old 06-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #29
Shazam
Side-Kick

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ntcmp=features

spoilers

Old 06-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #30
db85usa
HeHe!

The last thing we need is for people to run Snyder/Goyer out of the building so to speak. Then what? We go through another cycle of Batman films, 7-10 years for another Superman film? That is unacceptable. Again, the GA will make this a winner IMO and the RT score will get better. I think there really should be no discussion of RT until Friday, lol. Showtime is right, too much negativity right now and it is rubbing off onto a lot of posters.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #31
echostation
Banned User

Again to mention, since no one saw before...

I went to see the film and it was just wow. Seriousness, I don't see the rason to fear. I think many of these reviewers of course are entitled to their opinions but many of them have really pretty silly reasons. Others have more legitimate reasons which can be debated but go into spoiler territory.

That said, the film is supreme to me... Exactly what I wanted Singer to do with Superman Returns. This film has balls, like it or not, they bring Superman to be a kick ass warrior protector of Earth. It's just awesome to see him in that journey into that role. Yes are there hiccups? Yes could Aranofsky done a better job arguably? Probably but Snyder has easily delivered his best film and personally my favorite Superman film. The visuals and story to me are just amazing.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #32
kalhawj
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Riggins View Post
Horrible? Taking into account not just the critics but all reactions we've had, it's far more positive than negative.
This is what I don't get about folks on here... The film hasn't even been release to all of us yet and there are more positive than negative and yet folks are fricken out... I guess it is what it is... Let see how MOS do this weekend. This is will all the review will come in and we will all seen the movie and be able to confirm if they are correct or not. Time to step away from this forum and get myself ready for this movie.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #33
Marvin
Side-Kick

Majority of critics probably prefer Donner's approach(as seen with SR's score).

By this weekend we'll probably understand what the GA prefers.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #34
Poni_Boy
Giggedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
If this wasn't a very new take on a beloved character I would give them the benefit of the doubt but I'm not in this case. People have been *****ing about Williams not coming back and the ditching of various other "staples" of superman since production began. You stack that on top of Snyder directing and that tomato score is an inevitable result. Snyder is polarizing at the best of times, and people have a deep love of this character.
Again, maybe they just didn't like it. If MOS was getting near universal praise like Avengers then it would be easy to point out the few reviewers who were blatantly bias and wanted to nitpick. But the reactions to this movie are so all over the place that saying people who don't like simply because it's not Reeve/Donner sound silly.

I went into this with an open mind and hoping it turned out good but I found it not to be.

Joss Whedon's MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING is the cinematic equivalent of Tony Stark building an Iron Man suit in a cave with a bunch of scraps
Old 06-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #35
Hammer!
Side-Kick

Metacritic down to 56

Old 06-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #36
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
so not much wit or camp?? good.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #37
kalhawj
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by echostation View Post
Again to mention, since no one saw before...

I went to see the film and it was just wow. Seriousness, I don't see the rason to fear. I think many of these reviewers of course are entitled to their opinions but many of them have really pretty silly reasons. Others have more legitimate reasons which can be debated but go into spoiler territory.

That said, the film is supreme to me... Exactly what I wanted Singer to do with Superman Returns. This film has balls, like it or not, they bring Superman to be a kick ass warrior protector of Earth. It's just awesome to see him in that journey into that role. Yes are there hiccups? Yes could Aranofsky done a better job arguably? Probably but Snyder has easily delivered his best film and personally my favorite Superman film. The visuals and story to me are just amazing.
I think this forum needs more of you who have seen the movie to post their feedback...

Old 06-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #38
Transcended
Gunning for Metal

Seriously, this is kind of hilarious. The movie finishing in the 60s on RT might be less than some people were hoping for, but it's still a perfectly respectable score. It means more people liked it than didn't.

I remember being so hyped about Terminator Salvation, truly believing it was going to take the franchise to new places. Then it got 35% on RT. Now THAT is cause for panic; 65%, not so much.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #39
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Pretty much everyone at AICN loves it so far, it's got glowing reviews from them all. They don't count on RT, but just in case someone wanted some geek opinions.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 06-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #40
slimshady247
The Chesapeake Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transcended View Post
Seriously, this is kind of hilarious. The movie finishing in the 60s on RT might be less than some people were hoping for, but it's still a perfectly respectable score. It means more people liked it than didn't.

I remember being so hyped about Terminator Salvation, truly believing it was going to take the franchise to new places. Then it got 35% on RT. Now THAT is cause for panic; 65%, not so much.
Exactly.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #41
chicagodave
Side-Kick

I guess im freaking out a bit because i want to see it succeed I want a larger dc universe to be shown and the success of this movie will greatly influence that, maybe it is a little early to hit the panic button.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #42
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
All the hypsters need to just take a breath ignore these critics and go in with an open mind. This ain't your grandpas, your daddy's, or even your childhood Superman. This is Zack Snyder's Superman. Try it out and go from there.
I think there critics jus will not let Chris Reeve and Donner die!! They wet in longing for goofy Clark the The Greatest Criminal Genuis of All Time"!!

And that aint what this is!! Critics are whiners.....and most of them don't even read the books.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #43
RichardMoore
Side-Kick

I may be wrong for doing this, but I automatically discount any review that compares "Man of Steel" to the 1978 film.

I don't expect "Man of Steel" to be similar in any way to the 1978 film. Did I like the film? Yes. But "Man of Steel" is NOT a remake...it is a reboot, like "Batman Begins". I couldn't take a "Batman Begins" review seriously if it talked about how the 1989 "Batman" was far better because it was more comic booky, campy, etc.

Now I may not like "Man of Steel". I don't know, I haven't seen it yet. But if I don't, it's not going to be because I've got Donner's movie on the brain. If anything, I'll be comparing it to TDK trilogy and MCU films. The Donner movie is a relic of the past...that's why we needed a reboot.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #44
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
I guess im freaking out a bit because i want to see it succeed I want a larger dc universe to be shown and the success of this movie will greatly influence that, maybe it is a little early to hit the panic button.
Even if this film got 10% RT score...the only time you need to panic is if this isn't making 500 million worldwide.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 06-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #45
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I think there critics jus will not let Chris Reeve and Donner die!! They wet in longing for goofy Clark the The Greatest Criminal Genuis of All Time"!!

And that aint what this is!! Critics are whiners.....and most of them don't even read the books.
They are not comic book geeks???? Kill them with fire now!!!

Old 06-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #46
davejames
Side-Kick

The Time review is fairly positive, although he seemed to enjoy the first half a lot more than the second.

And hey, Patton Oswald loved it, so there's that!

Old 06-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #47
davejames
Side-Kick

EW has a pretty cool new Superman cover, fyi:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/06/12/th...-man-of-steel/

Old 06-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #48
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
This films lower score than Returns isn't shocking in the slightest. Returns stuck fairly close to the original films's sensibilities. This film threw all that **** out and made its own path and some people just can't except this new take on Superman. Plus it is a Snyder film.
Or..........maybe it's not as good as you'd like it to be.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #49
Disciple of Syn
Side-Kick

Jesus......I've never seen a movie that separated the critics from regular movie goers(Both GA AND Comic book fans) this much IN MY LIFE. I mean, not even Transformers was this polarizing. I think the movie is still gonna do fantastically, but the controversy surrounding it is unheard of to me and a bit perplexing.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #50
Tra-El
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardMoore View Post
I may be wrong for doing this, but I automatically discount any review that compares "Man of Steel" to the 1978 film.

I don't expect "Man of Steel" to be similar in any way to the 1978 film. Did I like the film? Yes. But "Man of Steel" is NOT a remake...it is a reboot, like "Batman Begins". I couldn't take a "Batman Begins" review seriously if it talked about how the 1989 "Batman" was far better because it was more comic booky, campy, etc.

Now I may not like "Man of Steel". I don't know, I haven't seen it yet. But if I don't, it's not going to be because I've got Donner's movie on the brain. If anything, I'll be comparing it to TDK trilogy and MCU films. The Donner movie is a relic of the past...that's why we needed a reboot.
Perspective! I.Like.That